Need for speed: reload, weapon change and cooling off too slow

Few Scars

Marauder
Society
Freelancer
Bjorn Bjorn Longstaff
This is not so much a winge, but more a suggestion for SDS and MA. The one thing I find frustrating is when I am hunting is the delay caused by changing weapons, reload times, cooling off, countdowns etc. The usual yellow writing appears in the chat box telling you that you can not access the selected item.

I started playing RIFT the other day and though not completely my cup of tea, I enjoyed the speed of the game. As a mage, I can attack mobs with a variety of spells etc with very quick cool offs and change overs. Kinda like Mindforce. It made the battle intense and gives more enjoyment. I suggest SDS and MA adjust the current delays we face when we change a weapon.
For example if I am using a weapon with a long reload time, I should be able to swap immediately to another weapon and fire immediately. Mindforce chips are so frustrating with the cooldown times.

Speed is important in gameplay and all the current systems are set to slow us down, even when there isnt much lag which brings me to my next point for SDS/MA.

In RIFT I was in areas where there were more than 50 avatars battling etc....no lag, no frame loss, no time waiting 30 seconds for the auction house floor to appear. Now I know RIFT isnt running cryengine2 but this new MMORPG seems to have made a few good moves with gameplay which I think SDS and MA can learn from. Even if RIFT have stolen alot of ideas from WoW they are worthwhile to make EU a better experience.

So have a look, spend a few hours in RIFT and see the difference in battle speed.

Cheers
Bjorn

the "change weapon" delay is because you have to wait for your current weapon to reload or before changing. if you didn't, you could cheat by alternating between two weapons, your fire rate only restricted to how fast you could punch the keys assigned.

Also don't forget that faster reload etc would mean you could burn all your ammo in 30 min instead of 2 hours hunting.

A bit more fun for a 4x cost to play? No thanks. :)

the "change weapon" delay is because you have to wait for your current weapon to reload or before changing. if you didn't, you could cheat by alternating between two weapons, your fire rate only restricted to how fast you could punch the keys assigned.

Hmm good point.. I wonder if they could still keep the reload time but alow you to change weapons or tools faster. This would allow you to heal yourself but when you want to fire again the timer for reloading is still going on in the background. :) So no matter if your weapon takes 1 min to reload you would still have to wait untill its done. :scratch2: Just a thought. :ahh:

I like this idea a lot. I mean some people wouldn't like the extra ammo burn but I personally would enjoy the faster pace. I mean if you cycle ammo faster I'm pretty sure it's win/win for the player and MA. If you prefer not to then just stick to 1 gun and cycle ammo on a regular rate. Honestly I hate the slow pace of hunting sometimes considering I've played other MMOs at end game and you need to be on the ball 100%. The more involved you are the more the game pulls you in and I think this would definitely do the trick. Great idea Bjorn! Keep them coming. ;)

EU is a little different in regards to this because its a RCE and the higher end items have fast reload (Example Mod ep 40 and imk2, Mod fap , imp fap ) that go for insane prices; due to high dps and high reload speeds. If MA was to change this then the value of such fast items would fall because with multiple weapons the advantage would no longer exist.

Picture a player with 3 or 4 tangos using your method while hunting or doing pvp :D

Quick check of wiki shows 66 weaps with reload faster than 60 (1/sec), just use one of them they're certainly fast enough.

Don't want to use one of those 66? Then weigh up the pros and cons of the slower weapons and if one is better suited for you then use that.

You can't just throw in a rule like 'swap weap with no reload' in real cash game where everything is priced accordingly.

The delay when dead to get to a revive is simple to let regen mobs gain back a few hp till you get back..Thats just money making on behalf of our hosts. The yellow messages how ever need to go away. To me if I try to switch and I get that yellow "Item already equiped" message it seems as the time restarts AFTER that messgae shows up before I can actually use the item. At 5 to 50ms ping times that doesnt seem long but for those of us over 100ms its 2 to 5 free hits depending on the mob thats attacking because of this.

Its the MAJOR reason I stopped hunting and then finally stopped wearing armor altogether. The pittance I get in returns goes to fix all the crap that takes all that extra damage for a BS message. I didnt mind before VU 10 paying my share of decays but post VU 10 with all the nickle and dime crap they did I cant see paying double what I used to for half the return and only 10% of the fun it used to be.

The delay when dead to get to a revive is simple to let regen mobs gain back a few hp till you get back
A few? I see I have competition for the "Understatement of the year" contest! :)

Back