Planet Calypso - Sneak Peek Activities Movie

True. And i know that, but why try to adapt the animations (gameplay) as its now with CE2 when later on they will have to do it all over again. They shouldnt try to make the gameplay as its now they should try make it little better. And later on with VUs make it smoother ect ect..

Aye, I think you will see that occur anyway, no use hounding them over it.

Their plans are already laid out and in motion, no major changes to what they have on the table atm will be done as they are working to a time specific release schedule incorporating partners into this schedule as well; not exactly the type of partners you want to piss off either with the size of their respective businesses in comparison to MA.

Sure there is space to move, but I think this time will be used in tweaking and making sure that the client and basic functionality is as stable as possible.

Hopefully Marco remembers to check that the 'Test Lead' is plugged in for VU10 and not left at his/her desk unplugged ;)

Very nice, gettin excited to have it released!!

Did you notice the roadway at the beginning? Roads are pointless without cars.....

WoW Sooo nice to be updated :) and a great vid at that :) Thanks!

Just finished watching it.

If that is the work in progress without too many changes,
I am very impressed.

I feel the next 3 years of development work 2010 - 2012 is going to provide some awesome elements/detail/capabilities to Entropia :)

Exciting times ahead indeed.

*looks for time machine, sets it to 2012* :D

:laugh::laugh:
By that time Cryengine 3 will be released. ;)

Great preview Marco! +rep :)

was amazed at how much more realistic the avatar movement is. If you can, i'd love to see some one-on-one action with mobs, somewhere down the line.

Thanks for sharing!

It looks great :wtg: I can't wait to see VU 10 coming out (at least you said which VU that would be :rolleyes: ).

Now, am I the only one who noticed the movement when drilling enmatters? I assume this was an enmatter driller... Looks, well, crazy.... But I like the idea of driller going into the ground :)

Roads are nice, but guys mind that there are roads in some places, like Zychion.

Can't wait to see some more of the New Entropia and being able to USE IT!

:laugh::laugh:
By that time Cryengine 3 will be released. ;)

That is the way it works with most games. The engine is usually 3 years old by the time work has finished and it is in its final released state.

Entropia is hard to measure this way as it is always evolving and changing, never in a one state of release. EQ2 is still having new expansions released using the same 7 yr old engine :)

I expect the next engine update won't occur until towards the end of next decade :)

Yet entropia has a 50yr development roadmap in place with CRD, so I guess we are likely to see many more engine overhauls in time to come.

Marco, thanks for sharing this.

But...

This film just reinforces my thinking tha CryEngine is basically just a graphics update that will make me need to upgrage my PC (actually buy a completely new one since there are so many parts need replacing it's just not worth bothering).

It looks nice, but I really don't give a crap about that.

I'd rather see you reduce the EU system to a Rogue-like game but add more features and content.

Right now CE feels like a complete waste of 2 years to me. In that time you could have stuck with the old engine and developed taming, mindforce, particle beamer weapons, etc etc, but instead you seem to have chosen to spend that time making the ground look more realistic when I would be perfectly happy running across a snooker table.

OK, it looks a bit nicer in your (rendered?) video, but how much which that cost us in performance? Currently I can hardly run in an area that has trees. Will I even be able to get to that area now?

Can we please just get this CE2 bullshit finally over with and then never do anything like this ever again?

Great sneek peek! I loved the video and can't wait till it comes out.
Love the new Ore & EnMat extracting techniques. :laugh:
Hope this comes out soon and keep up the good work!

Have a great weekend- what a bloody joke!!!! how about givin me my peds back since all l keep gettin is no loot no loot no loot, hope you have the same weekend as l'm having MA:mad::mad::mad:

Wow, sweet action! Thanks for the post! :yay:

Very cool.

This is awesome. As an environmentalist I am very happy to see that mining does not hurt the flowers, too! :) JKB

This is awesome. As an environmentalist I am very happy to see that mining does not hurt the flowers, too! :) JKB

:D That is because you forgot to look down :silly2:

stepping_on_flowers.jpg

Looks very nice, cant wait to jump in and check it our when its ready!
Im a bit concerned about the death of the dancing trees, perhaps that feature was unchecked in the CL ? Hehe

Last edited:

does this mean all the texture panels that have the odd blast mark look in the corner, will be gone?

Just finished watching it.

If that is the work in progress without too many changes,
I am very impressed.

I feel the next 3 years of development work 2010 - 2012 is going to provide some awesome elements/detail/capabilities to Entropia :)

Exciting times ahead indeed.

*looks for time machine, sets it to 2012* :D

How much is MA paying you Lavawalker? Enough ass kissing already.... if it gets you a HoF... then gratz ahead of time... but we get the point. You've only licked @$$ about 6 or 7 times already in this thread.... :(

How much is MA paying you Lavawalker? Enough ass kissing already.... if it gets you a HoF... then gratz ahead of time... but we get the point. You've only licked @$$ about 6 or 7 times already in this thread.... :(

:rofl: I am fine with your opinion of my arse licking if that is how you see it.
I call it as I see it. If you don't like that, there is not much I can do.

I am very impressed with the current content adaption to the new engine as this is all I had expected from the start.

Not like those who put their expectations up on cloud nine thinking it would turn out like crysis when Marco clearly said mid last year, engine adaption first then work on other elements after VU10 hits and initial work is completed.

I do not get lost in the hype of what is going on, only look at the facts of what is being stated and set my expectatons accordingly.

If you want to have a whine at MA about whatever your hangup is over them fine, just don't drag this happy camper into your whine session :)

MA pays me nothing and the system treats everyone the same.
No amount of arse licking will get you a HoF just as no amount of arse kicking will not get you a hof.

If you think the Entropia system works in such a way,
I pity your ideals of how you think MA operates and conducts its' business.

And just as a side note, I have not even been active in EU this past week.
I have been skilling my Avatar in AW and helping newcomers get started off on the right foot there for the most part :D

Last edited:
And IMO the waiting will be major. 1 year from now, not less.

I'm willing to take a wager or two...

Lets sayy, a month or so? :cool:

HE WAS FREAKING SPRINTING IN THAT VIDEO!!!!

Sigh.... IMHO not really worth the bother of figuring out how to download the video and get it running... Still looks like what we have right now...

Not impressed... Not holding my breath until CE2 is added to EU... Not worth this many posts really...:scratch2:

I'm willing to take a wager or two...

Lets sayy, a month or so? :cool:

HE WAS FREAKING SPRINTING IN THAT VIDEO!!!!

Sure it wasn't in fast motion? :D
It could of been either one, but I prefer the former than the latter. :)

Marco, thanks for sharing this.

But...

This film just reinforces my thinking tha CryEngine is basically just a graphics update that will make me need to upgrage my PC (actually buy a completely new one since there are so many parts need replacing it's just not worth bothering).

It looks nice, but I really don't give a crap about that.

I'd rather see you reduce the EU system to a Rogue-like game but add more features and content.

Right now CE feels like a complete waste of 2 years to me. In that time you could have stuck with the old engine and developed taming, mindforce, particle beamer weapons, etc etc, but instead you seem to have chosen to spend that time making the ground look more realistic when I would be perfectly happy running across a snooker table.

OK, it looks a bit nicer in your (rendered?) video, but how much which that cost us in performance? Currently I can hardly run in an area that has trees. Will I even be able to get to that area now?

Can we please just get this CE2 bullshit finally over with and then never do anything like this ever again?

I agree on the part that more "flesh to the bone" -could & should be added, but disagree on the staying on 1 system, and not progressing...

As basically peeps who are getting into game see the graphics first, and make their initial judgement on the whole game based on that...

But ofc the old players should be kept ingame too...

Hopefully those ingame core-activities (and not core-activities like taming and such), get some revamping as well, and the crytropia would not be just cryengine + entropia glued on top of fancy graphics...

So basically in conclusion...there is no conclusion! :eek: I would like to see progress in graphics, in order to maintain general attractivness of game to the public, but not to forget about the old player base, who is financing this whole show, by providing some interesting new ideas to ingame core playability... :dunno:

blaaa

Sad to see so mutch ppl that compare EU to so mutch other games.
there is a few major things that makes it take so long time for example.

Redo all the textures imagen that miljons of diffrent textures for diffrent iteams sand hundras of difrent stones wood lefs guns clothing and more.

Sec implant a hole "old" world in to a new world .Very simple if u build it from the start very hard when u have to remake all the old stuff.

3 of all its a lot diffrent to compare it to for example Call of durty 5 or farcray look at the size of them maps ...... your computer draw up a apple ;) this server builds up a hole world for 1000 of players on the same time.

Other companys goes and borow a few hundra miljon dollar hire a staff thats is like 4-5 times bigger then MA ,Sure ma can do that as well but i think ppl wold notis that in the lot ;)

Doing a cool vidio takes like 40 h to make u whant a few of ma staff to make a good vidio for you or try to finish the real thing.

Imagen all the animations that have to be redone and more its like builing a totaly new game. With all the things thay have to fix.If u take your avtar and start running in a stright line for a few h .....then u will understand how big our world is in the game then u can imagen how mutch work it is to implant this .

I have to say i dont care mutch about the grafik update i think game play,frendslist,event system and more other things is more importen tho ,But im sure thay will but in a lot of goodis in the future when this cry thing is ready thats way i whant it as soon as posseble :)

I have to say im amazed how far thay have come on that little time like 1.5 years it takes like 3-5 years to do a other game with 4-5 diffrent maps thay building a hole world.

Sorry that im a prick but somtimes i get so sick of ppl that look and think throw a keyhole and refuse to se the hole pic ,

Other then that have a grait Weekend all :)

Ps MA take your time i dont whant somting nice looking that we cant play with a miljon buggs and glidshes .

drilling looks stupid imo,rest is rather nice to watch. just wonder if you need several attempts trying to inject antitoxic shot through supremacy thigh... :confused:

Sad to see so mutch ppl that compare EU to so mutch other games.
there is a few major things that makes it take so long time for example.

Redo all the textures imagen that miljons of diffrent textures for diffrent iteams sand hundras of difrent stones wood lefs guns clothing and more.

Doing a cool vidio takes like 40 h to make u whant a few of ma staff to make a good vidio for you or try to finish the real thing.

Well it's not exactly millions of textures lol. There's roughly around 8000 textures in the game currently.(Many of those are really small and simple textures though.) But it's still a hell of a lot.

CE2 uses special techniques and textures to dynamically build and blend areas to create the illusion of a more realistic world. But yeah, it does take time with MindArk's smaller than CryTek team lol. And the lack of Nvidia funding Crytek had.

And a cool video doesn't really take 40h XD. 1-6 hours depending on how cool your making it. And you actually know what your doing.

But yeah, people are expecting to much in the time frame MA has been working on this, and with the workforce they have. Plus we haven't seen everything yet, it's to early to judge.

Thank you everyone for your comments. I just wanted to iterate that this is a sneak peek on a work-in-progress. Not an official teaser or trailer (which we would have put more work and polish into and also launched on the official web site). This was just bits and pieces put together for a two minute peek into development of converting Old Calypso into New Calypso. That is why I released it on the community boards as well. Some of you here has been with us since before Gold in '03 and I think you all deserve to be as involved as possible in the process.

As to quality, colors, textures, etc. It is a snapshot of a work in progress. Things will continue to be tweaked up to VU 10 and beyond.

Thank you for your patience and dedication, both in good time and in bad times! =)

Thanks or the update Marco :)
I am a bit concerned about the "work-in-progress" phrase, it implies to me that VU 10 is still a long way away. Is there a chance you can clarify what that means for the release date? You mentioned in a different thread that you would be posting a timetable, will we be seeing that soon?

The CE2 integration is deserving a separate article and will arrive (as stated in the content list on www.planetcalypso.com) within a few weeks. I hope to be able to give a time line and expected target date as well for VU 10.0 (which is the CE2-release of Entropia Universe).

I really like the preview video. One thing that stood out for me were the more natural walk and run animations. The fact that we will have both day and night times is exciting and in general I think the environments look much better.

I think EU is moving in the right direction and the CE2 VU will not be the end of the road but the beginning of a whole new road!

Thanks for keeping us "in the loop" as much as possible!

Cheers :beerchug:

argos OK
rippersnappers maybe
but i NEVER saw u at the front while bot war :p

A smile in the morning is a good way to start the day. Thanks.

OMG :) thanks Marco BIG TIME for that AWESOME movie that's just what I wanted :)

it looks so GREAT :)

Back