Screenshots from Calypso Gateway 2.0

This actually seems quite accurate. This must be the department in charge of fixing Medusa's Head apartment bugs :lolup:

Actually I take that back! Medusa apartments are now fixed! (Yes really!)

Actually I take that back! Medusa apartments are now fixed! (Yes really!)

It's a miracle :bowdown:

I wonder if they did it by accident :scratch2:

Because the current system also pays back 90%, but it does so on a lengthened timeline, to include hofs, ubers, and sometimes even ATH's. If they were to shorten that timeline suddenly, they would have a major fiscal problem throwing out all that PED at once to everyone in great big HOFs.

Nobody said that they should pay back accumulated losses from the past now - just adjust the loot ups'n'downs in favour of the players.

And, on a completely unrelated sidenote: the best they could do atm to get the economy back working would be to pay out some serious PEDs. People would stop pinching every PEC as they do atm and get back to their old style of play.

Maybe

All that is just eyecandy. People would play Entropia and hunt blue boxes or yellow pyramids and red balls when the loot is properly. The eyecandy is imho just a minor factor for retention.

Returns and the loot system may be the focus of many players, but visuals play a large roll. A few of my friends that play Entropia wouldn't even try Minecraft because "dude, look how shitty those graphics are." Now, Minecraft may not have been their game, but the point to take away from this is they didn't even try it to find out because of the graphics. I actually know a few people that play entropia mostly because they enjoy the graphics.

Returns and the loot system may be the focus of many players, but visuals play a large roll. A few of my friends that play Entropia wouldn't even try Minecraft because "dude, look how shitty those graphics are." Now, Minecraft may not have been their game, but the point to take away from this is they didn't even try it to find out because of the graphics. I actually know a few people that play entropia mostly because they enjoy the graphics.

"people that play entropia mostly because they enjoy the graphics." cause loot cant be enjoyed usually so they turn to graphics :)
graphics anno 2006 would still be good enough today, entropia graphics 2006 that is not fucking minecraft

That might be true, but lets be honest, how many plyers does EU have ? Compare yourself : http://www.minecraft.net/stats

so obviously the market for those who don'T care that much is big enough

How about minecraft with crysis graphics :rolleyes: .Earlier alfa version

to redesign an area that
1) has max 1 hour lifespam before never see it again
2) has been designed and released 1 year ago!!!
I mean do you really think you're doing great job?...let us just keep beeing desperate with you then. Hire someone to explain you what your game would need to attract people, you seem so lost that it takes pitty not to laugh.
Or you could consider that you have one of the beautiful graph engines on the market already, and maybe forsee the idea of starting thinking about what would make people STAY in the game longer than 2 hours.... the time to account that you cannot admire panorama because the monsters that run after you will not break combat unless you kite them to water...or kill them, wich afaik is not a free affair.
Your game is about economics Kim, and we cannot say actual "design" of it is sexy at all, regard to you know? old same story: returns, bad strikes, possibilities to survive in practics vs your theorics, ie economics.

Oh and just a few examples of very little games that had/have ugly graph but keep retaining millions of people, while we barely meet 100 ppl in the same spot when over-sup-crowded:
-World of Warcraft: allways been ugly even at launch, was expensive, with poor skill system. I played it 4 years^^
-Starcraft: poor graphs to keep the screen fluid even when full of mobs. Seems it worked...
-Planescape torment, the ugliest yet best rpg of its generation
-cityville and all other facebook apps: no comment
-tales of pirates: one of numerous item shop f2p that retain 10x more ppl than you are, with ridiculous graph engine and almost no skill, just a good level raise dynamic and funny both pvp and pve activities
-Runes of Magic: wow copy-paste, graphs are even worst, they reached the million players easy.
-the sims:...
-populous, ultima IV, ultima online,
-league of legends.....
-and the best at last: Diablo III: graph engine is not beautiful, nore ugly, just allows you to play hours thanks to its (CLEVER) design of smoothes lights and non-agressive colors or transitions.

btw you picture are not in the calypso ambient at all, look at outside, the light there is, the contrasts of your graph engine, have an idea on how it would be inside, it is not forced to be such a "cut your veins in a warm bath" concept. And it is not coherent with the amount of light outside the buldings.

to redesign an area that
1) has max 1 hour lifespam before never see it again
2) has been designed and released 1 year ago!!!

They obviously have a reason to redesign it. They probably have noticed something in their statistics that shows the first impression and the tutorials and introduction presented to new players arriving are not good enough.

Remember, first impression is everything when it comes to games. They are not just remaking the graphics of this place, but the playability and what you do there. To give new players a good start and a smooth transition into the game itself is extremely important, as it may decide if they choose to actually keep going into the game or leave before they even reach it.

Btw, it doesn't matter if an area will only be seen for 1 hour by each player when it is an MMO. When 1000 or even 10000 people may pass through there in x days/weeks, it is the collected time that matters. For an MMO, 1000 people spending 5 minutes in a place (especially at such a crucial time as when they just arrive) is way more important than 1 person spending 5 hours.

I agree with you Nighthawk, on all you wrote, and hence, if there is something that all my numerous gamer friends never contest, is that the graph engine is beautiful, and so the first impression, lights, sky, distance of view, are just great. There is no need to redesign anything to retain people with design. The point will allways be the same: economix make them fly away, not appearence.
to point something concrete imo about this area with a living example that i remember : One of my ex-girlfriends wanted to have a try at entropia, 6-9 monthes ago (ava is now of course dead..). I saw that area where she started. If I remember well there are mission in each 3 branches (mining craft hunt).She was on 3rd hunt mission, craft and mining already done, and she told me she had to drop nova or frags for another mission. as she had the 3rd finished she shot mobs to drop her thing and did'nt succeed. her weap was dead so she resigned and came back to camp and validated the hunt mission back, but oh bad suprise there was another 4th mission! her weap was dead, and i remember because i helped her to look for a tt and buy a newcomer gun, but we did not find any tt machine.
So she was with not way to finish the missions and went through tp to calypso.
Fact is simple:
-or there is no tt machine and maybe it would ne a nice idea to "design" one^^
- there was a tt machine and we did not see it although we looked to it for a good moment. In this case a redesign is just needed ;-) maybe it was kind of integrated into a wall or with another skin? I never saw that area again as i did'nt had the chance to have another gamer gf since that one ;-)

anyway, that makes my point: her first impression, graphics of the outside of buildings, was great. the good human investment (= what could kim do to make his own company attract more depositers) would be at my sense to "design" free activities, loads of them, that could be done outside or even inside, and make the people "stick" to the game, fall in love maybe even with it. Inside the buildings is not the good side of cry engine for sure, we wont turn a cat into a dog. You better set a tent and make tissues move with wind, would rend 10x what these pics are. But implement a few mini-games bugless and fluid, could be bowling, kiting, tennis, any sport, origami, painting ;-)) that would be so nice.

This area was done a year ago and they took their time as usual to do it. It was bad work? live with it, because we have to face it, the only thing to retain people is to delay the moment they realise the actuals costs and unreliability of the game. This can be delayed by offering people something else that sweating or walking in the middle of monsters and pray to find dung to be part of game. In other words, game has to take its distances with RCE so that we don't see only that when talking about it, it is obvious.

Take Lotr : they had an expensive $/month game with a good reputation. They announced they were going f2p with item shop, "like the others". I went to try, thinking it would be terrible: areas has to be bought, most of instances too, even travels from city to another are not included when you start. And you know result? type "lotr highest income" or something like that, you will see that they met neverseen success. Why? because when you start to play the game, you don't think about it, and then you can collect "golds" by playing, exploring. You never feel traped by itemshop like in the other games, you get attracted to it. You can do loads of quests in f2p, and so when you see that this instance is "only" 4$, know what? you buy it. I ended up buying a premium one year account to unlock many functions. When my year will end, many things will stay, and i will have enough golds to buy all the future areas i want. This is what i call clever work from design/artwork team. I sometimes connect just to do 1 thing: play music, cause they implemented a midi interface ig.

There are some ugly regions with monotons textures on calypso, it's true. I would change these, starting with amaethera by solfais (never seen a nice screen of this region, did you?) until the low-end of island! lol

tx if you read it all ,)

filibert

Nice ice crystals, I like.

Looks very nice.

Kim, I hope MA will allow old players to visit new Gateway 2.0 as it was done with first Gateway, otherwise you will have a lot of new accounts (from ppl willing see new place) which shortly will be abandoned ;)

I hope to see some of these new graphics in the game as well. :) Mountains look more real then what we currently have! ;)

Have the artists ever played AfterWorld? It kinda reminds me of a bit of its early game scenery.
Yea thought the same, quite similar setup. Can't compare with Survival version thou... but what we see here is still "work in progress" not the final version. We'll see when it's released. :)

Does anyone know where this area is in the new Gateway? I can't seem to find it..

Back