Question: Should Motherships be allowed to land?

Should Motherships be allowed to land?

• Yes, allow Motherships to land at Athena Space Port

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • No, keep Motherships in space

Votes: 41 54.7%
  • Allow Motherships to land anywhere they want

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Allow Motherships to land, but with taxes on landing

Votes: 6 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

giuly_adm

Elite
Society
Synergen
Giuliano adm Noooo
Following Bjorn poll idea...

I will make a poll so Kim can see our thoughts on motherships too

This a video of motherships promotion that shows how they would look like:

Last edited:
In my opinion, Privateers should be able to land but not motherships (due to the difference in design partially, the privateer really looks more landable).

Imo, Privateer should be the biggest size a planet-to-space-to-planet landable ship could have... But it should be restricted to hangars.

I think when spacecrafts get properly balanced there is no need for motherships to land on planets, however an atmospheric entry in high atmosphere would be cool to allow people saving thruster decay.

In a case where mindark would go to just enable privateers with planetside landing and changing nothing else in current space - this would make privateers the number one choice in transport and screw mothership owners over.

Keeping it like it is now, with motherships delivering people to planets at atmosphere while privateers that once were supposed to land and start from planets can not is screwing current privateer owners to some degree.

However just enabling landing capabilties would lead to people boarding planetside and logging out and noone ever would need to invest in SI upgrades and it would make space pvp pointless to some degree this would be screwing the whole space concept over.

If allowing planetside boarding then there need to be limitations like the need to stay logged in to actually being able to transport stackables.(*1) In my opinion this should go as far as having ped card values bound planetside combined with the need to transport money in an lootable form - maybe even have different currencies for all planets and the need to exchange currencies based on lootable ressources like gold.
Traveling without converting the things one is to take with him/her should then just lead to leaving the not converted stuff behind on the left planet.
This would secure that people actually need to choose a highly secure transport to move stuff between planets and make upgrading spacecrafts meaningfull, forcing dozends of spacecrafts owners to buy resources from miners to upgrade their crafts further and supporting the whole economy.

*1: I think that its important for people to be able to log out of game any time they choose too, in case of space travels and logging out the carried stackables should be securely relocated to the last storage an avatar was registered too. Avatars should register to last storage just like they register to revive terminals. This would enable player to log out to secure their loot if the transport providing spacecraft can endure long enough to secure the logout process.

Last edited:
I think yes! But when I think about it, Nighthawk is probably on to something. Motherships are pretty huge so maybe just privateers. Either way, it could finally give Athena some real use. It's one of the coolest areas on Calypso and really needs to be utilized more.

I think yes! But when I think about it, Nighthawk is probably on to something. Motherships are pretty huge so maybe just privateers. Either way, it could finally give Athena some real use. It's one of the coolest areas on Calypso and really needs to be utilized more.

Considering we have already been shown previews of that area completely remade (even tho it has not yet been implemented ingame), I do not believe Athena will stay as it is.

Never really liked it myself, too badly designed (takes a lot of time and running to get anywhere unless flying around) altho the building style is OK (but maybe not fitting for Calypso imo) :dunno:

Here is my old suggestion for Athena: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?213739

The idea of a Mothership is it's something that never saw land, was built and spend all it's life in space. So no.
For privateers though voted yes - at hangars and Athena.

I think in terms of coolness, Motherships should be allowed into the atmosphere with a restriction on how close to the ground they can get, except for specific landing pads at Athena.

Cool video by the way, goes to show it is possible, we just need MA to make it so!

You mean other than as a place for foul to play hide and seek and get stuck in the water down the hill at EOS or in the trees near Athenta?

I think in terms of coolness, Motherships should be allowed into the atmosphere with a restriction on how close to the ground they can get, except for specific landing pads at Athena.

Cool video by the way, goes to show it is possible, we just need MA to make it so!

Why are there hanger estates if they can't be used to fly ships to and from?... Pre vu 10 you had to go to the hangar to fly to the asteroid. They need to reintroduce that sort of thing back in to the game.

Add the landing sequence like this, and bam, we have an excellent experience!! :yay:

Last edited:
Why are there hanger estates if they can't be used to fly ships to and from?... Pre vu 10 you had to go to the hangar to fly to the asteroid. They need to reintroduce that sort of thing back in to the game.

I honestly cant see anyone going through the hassle of walking to a hangar building with summon option broadly avaiable these days. Hangars as launchpads to space are probably a thing of the past - they might develop in some kind of service centers for spacecrafts but in the current state utilizing them as launchpads will only make sense if summon function gets removed.

We have a sci-fi planet which needs exciting things. For that reason alone it would be intresting to have a mothership and even bigger ships to be able to land on planet albeit in an even bigger hangar the likes of which we have not yet seen. Within the realms of sci-fi there is nothing here that is not feasible. On the contrary the lack of it would be of concern...

The question we need to ask is how can it be made intresting and viable within the mechanics of the game.

A possible solution
Motherships can land on planet and could have their own larger hangars. However, the intresting part could be a damage aspect. As the mothership descends further and further down it experiences more and and more damage. Having the correct decline trajectory could be important. Too fast and boom! too slow and booom! (from stalling and consequently falling down like a tonne of bricks). Have it possible but difficult and at a cost could work. This would add an intresting element to the game, actual flight skills of a pilot. If the damage is to structural integrity this would give repairers something to do. The only problem then is this could become a repairing haven for repair farmers. This could be limited by having a time out period i.e. beyond a certain length of time it will self-destruct, and passengers scattered across all tp's on planet. Hence making it difficult to farm repair skills. Just an idea and yes it needs to be refined a little...

Where there is a will there is a way. Is there a will to have EU intresting and exciting?

Actually, the motherships should have been bigger, so you can land a privateer in MS hangar :)

Land, but only in one area and they should have to pay.

They should have to land to refuel or to increase the SI.

in the current state utilizing them as launchpads will only make sense if summon function gets removed.
perhaps summon should be removed. After all tp between planets and auction between planets was removed already... why not another step in the wrong direction as far as in game tech levels go?

perhaps summon should be removed. After all tp between planets and auction between planets was removed already... why not another step in the wrong direction as far as in game tech levels go?

Interplanet TP being removed can be explained rather easily - Takes too much energy since you have to beam planet-to-planet, many lightyears, compared to on a planet where ya teleport maybe 10-20 kilometers on average.

While i personally would welcome the removal of summons and most if not all tp's in the universe for a change to a more natural broadened transportation concept that requires overall more player interaction and cooperation - i have to wonder that this comment came from you mastermesh considering how you have voted for the return of tp's in the past - But nontheless way to go ;)

Ohh yes, please...I want something like this hapening on calypso

Last edited:
Back