Space - Some areas not lootable PVP please.

RickEngland

Elite
Society
Jurai Blood
Rickard Rick England
Is it possible please that you can make some areas of space not lootable PVP, for those that enjoy hunting space mobs in a quad. At the moment it is100% risky and there are some pirates that air on the side of harrassment with constant kills.

Also is it possible that you could add storage to the space stations, so that you are not at risk for both the hunt and the transportation of looted items.

I'm not asking for a complete change, just to level the playing field and add some fairness to the current position.

Do you plan to introduce some sort of defensive shield attachment that can be purchased for quads, to make crime less attractive option. In effect if crime does in fact pay, then the investment by a pirate to rob a quad should be higher in my opinion.

Either way could you please advise your thoughts on how the development team see space growing in future, and what plans you may have.

Many thanks

Rick

Not been robbed yet, but damn they try after seeing me global in sapce.

No sorry i'm against the idea, in RL i suppose space has no safe area (just a reason ontop of the basic concept they had) it would be infact unfair to have non pvp area to my point of view

No sorry i'm against the idea, in RL i suppose space has no safe area (just a reason ontop of the basic concept they had) it would be infact unfair to have non pvp area to my point of view

Just for further thought then and I interested in your personal view, would you agree that all parts of the planetary system should be lootable PVP (on planet too), and we live in a world of anarchy with a select group of people intent with a life crime with zero recompense for their actions?

Lets say you had space hunting grounds that were not lootable, you still carry the risk of transportation after leaving the hunting ground. To me this would be fair start.

It's not right if an honest person is trying to take down a space mob, with a pirate breaking internatinal laws shooting your a*se at the same time.

Lets not forget MA might provide a situation for someone to rob another, but I'm sure they would not suggest that they agree with another avatar carrying out a crime. because that would leave them liable to prosecution too under the right circumstances.

We all got our own opinions I guess, and the debate will continue.

Rick

Space is developed by MindArk, not Planet Calypso. This Dev's Corner forum is only for questions specifically related to Planet Calypso,, not Entropia Universe in general.

Please read the Dev's Corner Forum Guidelines before posting any new threads in this section:

In order to keep this forum section manageable, easy for visitors to browse, and free from repetitive questions that the PlanetCalypso developers may be unable/unwilling to answer, a few guidelines are provided below.

DO NOT:
  • Post questions that fall exclusively within MindArk's area of responsibility (e.g. space travel, deposits/withdrawals, universe-wide systems, etc.). Such questions should be posted in the Ask MindArk section of EntropiaForum.com.

Moved to Space forum.

As the saying goes: watch this space!
Well, I’ve been watching it, been flying around in motherships in it, fought horrors in it etc...
and... it’s just not taking off. Now I know space has the conceptual problem of being mostly empty in the real universe, but in a virtual universe I’d expect some more creativity in the development.

My main problems are A: the PVP as it is currently implemented and B: the logistics of either wasting time flying a quad from planet to planet or of waiting for a mothership to stop by.
And to show how underhunted the horrors are, for example (a sign of general activity?), when gathering mob balls and killing some off every 20 minutes or so, I guess from the global messages that I am getting something like half or more of ALL the space globals. I don’t know if the new tracker has enough people in space running it, but so far only 1 of my horrors globals has been caught at all (another sign of there not being many people in space AT ALL).

Now I know that space is due for more changes, but I’m not really confident of many people taking up the space challenge, to be honest. I’m currently on Cyrene and I do see the odd traveller, but seeing a handful of people is day also not a sign that people are bothering to travel through space to get to a new world to try it out.

So, DEVS, some suggestions!
Put more things in space to keep people occupied while they travel. Implement a 3D space radar which gives a longer range idea of what is around the ship, not just visuals.
If you really really really want to keep PVP everywhere, then make pilots and passengers put a certain percentage of their stackables in a lootable inventory section, or, alternatively, fund pirate loots from a toxic shot or something and make everything else unlootable. You could make it that this toxic shot only lasts per flight or for a certain time. The loot pool for PVP would thus grow for each pilot and passenger who makes it safely to their destination and would increase kill payouts to pirates until some balance would be reached. The balance could be set such that the loot would be likely to be higher than the cost of a kill if, for example, 75 % of flights end up being made safely. If pirate activity gets too high then the payout to pirates will decrease per kill until the activity becomes unprofitable. Of course there would be a fluctuating nature to the loots to somewhat hide the fill level of the underlying loot pool, but a basic balance would still be reached. Also, if there is a timer like on scanners for personal pirate kills, then players can’t just keep killing each other to get more loots during periods of ‘overfill’.

There is also the problem of logging off while in space. However, if there is a toxic timer, then there will be no (or less) advantage to avoiding fights in this way. Logging back on should not result in the avatar being ejected from the spacecraft and dying. This would also stop the short-cut option of relogging to get to your destination faster. If there is a genuine connection problem, then not much is lost or gained either in my opinion, depending on the length of the lost connection and the decay of toxic shot time if implemented this way.

Another matter is then motherships. Some of these have been considerably upgraded and cost quite a lot to destroy, if the attacker can destroy them at all, that is. At the moment these ships allow the relatively safe transportation of large amounts of materials, but relatively few seem to be in active service for quick travelling between planets. Maybe this is just because space travel itself is so low, and would pick up if space itself becomes more widely used. I have no direct suggestion as to whether a toxic shot or lootable inventory section would also be required of passengers here too.

I feel my suggestion is big enough overall to deserve some serious thought – maybe I will get a kind comment from a dev soon, no matter that this is no longer in the dev section... :)

The biggest problem for Space seems to be the same as for the (new) planets - too low population.

As an example about possible developments if there was more players online you see in this thread.

If the population numbers exceed a certain threshold the framework that's already in place starts functioning - without players it's just that - an empty frame with no content. Don't think any other medicine would really cure this disease, only shift the balance this way or the other way...

It is kinda weird - the only reasonable way to hunt space mobs is with privateers/motherships, but the mobs are too small for those (well, dropships are kinda ok maybe). :scratch2:

Leave it pvp just make the loot better :ahh:

...or more exciting

I don't run tracker, becasue my computer running windows 7 didn't understand the 'rar' file from the tracker client download so I gave up trying to install it.

Although I had about 7-10 globals on cosmics in the last week. So they do payout, I've have screen shots of most of them, although yes none recorded on tracker.

I'm sure MA are working to develop space more, because rumour I heard some time ago, was they were trying to attract EVE players.

Rick

PS: 711: I apoligise to you for my little rant, it is not often I get all firey. Thank you to the other poster for the other forum locations, especially the Mindark communication one.

Lets say you had space hunting grounds that were not lootable, you still carry the risk of transportation after leaving the hunting ground. To me this would be fair start.
This risk is close to zero. The only dangerous moment in space is leaving spacestation's area, once you made it without tail there is virtually no chance to meet anyone until you reach a planet. And since it's impossible to predict your entering and exiting points at the hunting grounds, you'd absolutely safe there too.

This risk is close to zero. The only dangerous moment in space is leaving spacestation's area, once you made it without tail there is virtually no chance to meet anyone until you reach a planet. And since it's impossible to predict your entering and exiting points at the hunting grounds, you'd absolutely safe there too.

very safe ... until you meet someone and loose 1200 ped because you thought it was safe.
(didn't happen to me but someone I know)

Atami

It will never be safe... Allready lost 500 ped or more for pirates, buggy when the team up with a sleipner scout at SS and two others waiting for you outside safe zone :(

So space hunting with Quad is a risky bizz or even transport of loots..

Just see space as you see pvp4, there are mobs that just spawn there, if you want to hunt them you have to take the risk! Otherwise, don't hunt them and hunt something else instead. You don't see Mulmuns or Attackers spawning outside pvp4.

Space should remain pvp imo. It's the only way to be able to establish an economy on the other planets, making it risky to transport it to Calypso. If it weren't pvp, the auction on for example Ark would be empty since everyone would take it to Calypso since it has an established market already. And that would kill the other planets.

Freddie

Just see space as you see pvp4, there are mobs that just spawn there, if you want to hunt them you have to take the risk! Otherwise, don't hunt them and hunt something else instead. You don't see Mulmuns or Attackers spawning outside pvp4.

Space should remain pvp imo. It's the only way to be able to establish an economy on the other planets, making it risky to transport it to Calypso. If it weren't pvp, the auction on for example Ark would be empty since everyone would take it to Calypso since it has an established market already. And that would kill the other planets.

Freddie

I do absolutely agree with Freddie.

Couldn't have said it better.

Just try to live with it and not to change the Universe to your personal likings.

No reason why planets cant be fully surrounded by a safe area, just like it would be irl, the whole planet would have a protective bubble, not just the space stations....

Just for further thought then and I interested in your personal view, would you agree that all parts of the planetary system should be lootable PVP (on planet too), and we live in a world of anarchy with a select group of people intent with a life crime with zero recompense for their actions?

It's not right if an honest person is trying to take down a space mob, with a pirate breaking internatinal laws shooting your a*se at the same time.

Lets not forget MA might provide a situation for someone to rob another, but I'm sure they would not suggest that they agree with another avatar carrying out a crime. because that would leave them liable to prosecution too under the right circumstances.

We all got our own opinions I guess, and the debate will continue.

Rick

I have almost always (except twice when I got really lucky) been on the dead-avatar end of any encounters when I meet other players in lootable PVP areas, but even I am less than comfortable when i read through statements like this and see common misconceptions presented to the readers of this or any forum.

Lootable PVP areas are clearly indicated and the risk of entering them should be well understood by all players. Players who kill other players in lootable (or any other) PVP area are not evil, bad, dishonest, or crooked, and those poor players who get it in the back are not "honest" players trying to get by, or victims of crime.

MA has not set up locations in Entropia where criminals can get away with breaking laws. Those areas are lootable PVP areas and players entering them do so with the clear knowledge that they are sacrificing their hard earned loot to other players who worked hard to acquire the skills and expensive equipment to take them down. Basically, the lootee (including me) is giving his or her loot away to any other armed player with the balls to try to take it. Unless they manage to make it from point A to point B undetected, or has some other means of defense.

There is no crime or evil intent involved in getting another players loot if you kill their avatar in a lootable PVP area. Suggesting otherwise is incorrect, despite how poor it may make you feel when the loot you put up as sacrifice is removed from your inventory and transferred to another avatar, and despite the number of dickheads who are drawn to that profession.

Do not go there, do not hunt there, or casually travel through those areas unprotected and do not carry anything you are not willing to give away to a complete (or otherwise) stranger.

I think it's ok the way it is. There's enough of a balance of safety/danger that enough people try it and enough people try to stop it.

Imagine if defense was 100X better: no pirates, no reason to have it.

Imagine if offense was 100X better: only pirates, no one would even try to fly from one planet to the next.

Imho, traveling through space should be harder (note that I didn't say more expensive nor more tedious) than now. Planets have to build up their own player bases and economies rather than depend on Calypso players, and the only way to do that is to limit the ease of transport to and from other planets.

My suggestion: limit the number of times a player can enter foreign planet atmosphere (their "home" planet is exempt) per month/week/day/etc. This would force other planets to advertise and attract players.

There is no crime or evil intent involved in getting another players loot if you kill their avatar in a lootable PVP area. Suggesting otherwise is incorrect.

I think my whole view point is misunderstood.

I actually like hunting in space, got 2 more space gloals tonight, and didn't get robbed. I have been shot down many times but didn't have loot on me. Sooner or later my luck will run out I'm sure of it.

My issue has always been, that real life on earth is a lootable PVP zone. Yet we are taught values not to rob others. Mindark provides an area to enable people to rob others, but they don't tell them to do so. So it is the same as real life, this is why I see it as a crime.

I was mearly requesting that I think it would be sensible to have some hunting areas that were not PVP so I could hunt longer, and then the pirate if they choose can attempt to rob me on the way home within the PVP lootable.

Personally I dont understand why the pirate doesn't shoot the space mob for loot, rather than a person, but that is me and my good morals.

I still stand by my view that I believe it is a criminal act to rob another person in space, although that wont stop me playing cat and mouse with the pirates.

Good luck

Rick

My issue has always been, that real life on earth is a lootable PVP zone. Yet we are taught values not to rob others. Mindark provides an area to enable people to rob others, but they don't tell them to do so. So it is the same as real life, this is why I see it as a crime.

Life on earth is absolutely NOT lootable PVP zone. As you say we are taught values not to rob. So, we're not supposed to. Sadly real life cannot be enforced by 0's and 1's and is therefore enforced by martial law. When you brake the rules you go to jail. So, it's not free lootable PVP. Consider robbing a real life exploit which is punished by a ban.

I was mearly requesting that I think it would be sensible to have some hunting areas that were not PVP so I could hunt longer, and then the pirate if they choose can attempt to rob me on the way home within the PVP lootable.

Or you hunt horrors and accept the risk you're taking. Same as the Mulmuns in pvp 4.

Personally I dont understand why the pirate doesn't shoot the space mob for loot, rather than a person, but that is me and my good morals.

Ask anyone of those PK-ers. I never understood the fun of PK-ing. But hey, such is life in Entropia. I also never understood crafters. Just soooo boring....

I still stand by my view that I believe it is a criminal act to rob another person in space,

Well, I also think it is criminal to rob someone in space. But that's (virtual) life in Entropia. That's why they're called pirates. The scum of the earth. But at least they color this virtual world.

Either accept it and run, or become a pirate hunter and be the good guy. Start a new soc, the Space Police.

although that wont stop me playing cat and mouse with the pirates.

Good luck

Rick

That's the spirit!! :D

Three Evergreen Laws abot PvP:

1. Some people will never fully understand the concept of PvP in games.
  2. Some people are able to grasp the concept after some time.
  3. By the time one group of people has understood, there will be a new group who will keep going with this "omg robbers and thieves!!!" on the forums... forever.

Just sayin

1. Some people will never fully understand the concept of PvP in games.
  2. Some people are able to grasp the concept after some time.
  3. By the time one group of people has understood, there will be a new group who will keep going with this "omg robbers and thieves!!!" on the forums... forever.

Just sayin

LOL

just a quick note. I had just looted a 'generic fuse' this morning, then out of nowhere pops 2 red triangles, I thought bad timing or what, and ran thinking I can't take on two quads. Even left my half dead cosmic.

Then I look down at chat and see a messge from Millie (think spelt that right) saying "hi Rick", so I guess friendly quads but couldn't take any chances.

So hi back Mille. Two red triangles got my heart pumping big time, I was reaching for the blood pressure pills.

LOL

Rick

Maybe they should have asked this question in the survey ;)

Back