Spiral carpet bombing

R4tt3xx

I want to believe
Society
Freelancer
Alexis Sky Greenstar
I am looking for some ppl to it's not really experiment, it's more along the lines of helping me to help themselves.

The initial concept is simple, miners run forwards, miners log findings, miners blow bombs and probes.

Heres a simple flowchart of how basic carpetbombing is done

Blow probe/bomb
Run max twice radius
Rinse repeat
Log findings

Heres the change

Blow probe / bomb
Run at tool radius
If miss increase radius by tool radius, goto blow probe
If hit run at tool radius forwards until you miss, rinse repeat

Every time mark off how many radii you moved in order to get a hit and your time of the 1st hit. Square the amount of radii and compare that number to the time, you should see the pattern immediately.

This technique is expensive, but through. It can only show you approximate timings of your hits, ie on which radii of the spiral they appear, combine that with time, and you know that at x time, i need to move y radii for hits of z deposits.

One warning, DO NOT CHANGE DIRECTION, if you are heading north, continue north, this theory also ties into Iller and Nightbird.

Let me give an example of a timer, this is how it was....

Very simple, I drop a bomb and miss, the minute of my drop is for example 17, I take the square root of that number 4.123 and multiply it by by radius 54 which gives me a distance of +-223meters. For the actual coordinates, assuming I an heading east, I add 223 to my current X coord.

Above is just an example, Mindark has changed the timer significantly.

Each radius ie distance that you can mine in a straight line, corresponds to a set number of minutes.

1 radius from 0 to 1 minutes 1 minute interval
2 radii from 1 to 4 minutes 3 minute interval
3 radii from 4 to 9 minutes 5 minute interval
4 radii from 9 to 16 minutes 7 minute interval
5 radii from 16 to 25 minutes 9 minute interval
6 radii from 25 to 36 minutes 11 minute interval
7 radii from 36 to 49 minutes 13 minute interval
8 radii from 49 to 64 minutes 15 minute interval

For all the math buffs out there, take a look at the lovely (and totally obvious) Fibonacci sequence...

Hofs, now here is something interesting, in the beta they occurred every 15 minutes, if I take a look at a 15 minute interval ..... That would be 8 radii which means that the best way to mine would be to move 8 * my radius and mine back to when I miss. Oops, I really have done it this time, a little bit of chaos for the participants of this fine "social experiment" called Entropia Universe.

L*R

Last edited:
Your theory has no compensation for Coriolis Effect.

im pretty sure i tried this before and results were worse than random.

Well its better than pure carpet bombing, I will perform it and share the results, not revealing the timer though. I should get the hang of where everything is within 8 drops

timer? what do you do with the time? its not specified. another hypothesis with a secret ingredient.

how do you obtain the time? quickly look at a clock? press C. with latency of EU and human you'll be a second out within a dozen bombs.

lol (more letters)

timer? what do you do with the time? its not specified. another hypothesis with a secret ingredient.

how do you obtain the time? quickly look at a clock? press C. with latency of EU and human you'll be a second out within a dozen bombs.

OOps ye, I forgot to post the timer .... Will fix

PE assistant has timers , sec to make a screenie :p i use it when sweating to find the right timing , work , i get less pull streaks without sweat.

I'll use it for mining again , soon. ( PS buy my stuff from auction already mkay ? )

PE assistant has timers , sec to make a screenie :p i use it when sweating to find the right timing , work , i get less pull streaks without sweat.

there is a latency between you seeing the event and pressing the PrintScreen.

there is a latency between you seeing the event and pressing the PrintScreen.

I was talking about the timer itself , nothing else , you asked what tool to use to measure time in game , i showed you one option , incidentally it is the one i use.

When i mine i have 3 stopwatches on my screen lol

Oh sorry, Seeing that I want to keep it simple.

Use Ingame time..... Minutes should work.

I was talking about the timer itself , nothing else , you asked what tool to use to measure time in game , i showed you one option , incidentally it is the one i use.

When i mine i have 3 stopwatches on my screen lol

Looks like I am not the only one that picked up the time related stuff...

Looks like I am not the only one that picked up the time related stuff...

I picked it up after i read Nightbird's topics , was even more intrigued today when you also pointed to them and now , when you suggested your approach I assumed you'd also use a time based system, hence many stopwatches :wtg:

Edit: I see now that you also included a time table in your starting post.

hmm..

I am looking for some ppl to it's not really experiment, it's more along the lines of helping me to help themselves.

A lot of scientists looking for people to try something usually pay to let them join the study. Are you paying for the bombs and other supplies? If not, why not? I know of several threads in the Services section where there's miners looking for people to pay for their free service. If you pay those guys you'll automatically have miners with skills doing your experiement.

Your theory has no compensation for Coriolis Effect.

You can compensate for it or wait for the wind to calm down. Just watch the flag on the car and take the shot when ready.:D

i don't get it sry...

so i log in go somewhere and start mining... nrf .. nrf ... nrf ... V lyst:

ok now i look what time it is let's say 12.30 what i do now is go north 54m (range of my finder) if i find something i go N 54m again and again the third time i find nothing. so now i look at the 30 minutes. then i move 5.4*54=295m north and drop another one?

sry might be due to me beeing german but i didn't get what excactly i'm supposed to do.

i wanna try this just to see if it works hehe ;)

Thark

Thats working the opposite way, for example if you knew that the ingame 30minutes was the ingame cycles point 30, yes that would work.

You should be able to hit right until the end of the cycle, giving you the ENTIRE cycles length.

I am looking for some ppl to it

So start given correct instructions on how to do it
With an example of your actual mining
something along the lines

I use a 55 range finder
Droped a bomb at XX123 YY456
(XX and YY if you really are affraid to share the actual site)
otherwise real coordinates would be better, but if you really don't want them just go for XXXXX+0 ; YYYYY+0.

Then state with direction you were facing while droping the bomb.

And what happened next and for the 20 or more bombs.
Refering the relative or actual timing between bombs.

So that people have a clear idea of what is going on in your strategy.

And more important what is the goal of the experiment and show how your data fits the results that would be expected by your predictions.

P.S.
For those who don't know time has been and still is a very important factor in determining loot

So if you are trying to help others make it in a readable and reproductible way so that they might learn something.

Otherwise you are just making people waste their hard earned PEDs and time

This could be called a sample or example of the kind of system I am working on currently, this was my first draft at improving my mining technique.

In stead of coming up with and picking numbers and squares at random, which is what it sounds most of you want to do....

This is sort of reverse engineering, giving the game a set of inputs and seeing what it will spit out.

OK let me show u a possible pattern

MM-M--M---M----M-----HHHM

m is miss
- is gaps of your tools radius
h is hit

the important piece in this pattern is -----HHHM. You have a distance of 6*radius and 3 hits after that... Here is gets interesting

6 radii is 36 minutes (6 squared) and the timer extends for 3 more radii making it a total of 9 squared or 81 minutes.

If this is correct you should be able to from any miss walk 9* your radius and get a deposit, turning around and walking back would net you the rest of the timer's duration.

Basic figure and design is here http://www.numberspiral.com.

Thank you Robert Sacks

Another little piece of data :)

Ur going to love this. There is a limit on it's size, smallest single mining area, it's FULL size, not half of it...

Last edited:
Back