Suggestions to Bring more Excitment to the Game

Guys, most of these ideas are actually good. Nothing that would really fix the game in my eyes (except maybe the sales tax, that would be a step in the right direction so long as MA put the money back into the system,) but nothing detrimental either.

Guys, most of these ideas are actually good. Nothing that would really fix the game in my eyes (except maybe the sales tax, that would be a step in the right direction so long as MA put the money back into the system,) but nothing detrimental either.
So who would that tax benefit then, non depositors?

And if the game needs to be another game in yours and others eyes why are you still here? (see Zorander's and Lilac's posts)

About my own post of not limiting the game, if I recall correctly the last LG was restricted to top50 soc but not the ones before the last one, correct? (even if it was before the last one too I dont like the limitations there either, just to be fair :D)

Re:preconceptions

It never fails to amaze me at the knee jerk reactions to certain topics here. Mention Sweat and its immediately "just another sweat complaint", mention another way for PFC/MA to source money to put back in the game and its "nondepositors trying to rip the depositors off". Please if you can see past your stereotypes don't bother replying. This thread is for people who hav something CONSTRUCTIVE to supply to the debate. As to Lilac/Zorander... do you not recognise sarcasm when you see it? I even SAID in the thread it was sarcasm. If you have an axe to grind then start YOUR OWN THREAD!!!! Don't try and hijack others with your views.

It never fails to amaze me at the knee jerk reactions to certain topics here. Mention Sweat and its immediately "just another sweat complaint", mention another way for PFC/MA to source money to put back in the game and its "nondepositors trying to rip the depositors off". Please if you can see past your stereotypes don't bother replying. This thread is for people who hav something CONSTRUCTIVE to supply to the debate. As to Lilac/Zorander... do you not recognise sarcasm when you see it? I even SAID in the thread it was sarcasm. If you have an axe to grind then start YOUR OWN THREAD!!!! Don't try and hijack others with your views.

Yeah... you said you agreed with what Lilac had to say... and then said you were being sarcastic, we got it, thanks.

Don't try to hijack others threads with our views? Really? You started this thread asking for people's opinion on which of your ideas (though neither was original, I've heard both in game and on these forums before...) was better. A discussion on those ideas followed. Did you really expect that everyone would simply choose A or B, MA would read this thread and implement the winning idea, and you could make 5 ped/k for sweat again?

I seriously doubt sweat prices will ever go back up, and really, they don't need to.

I personally still swunt, the sweat I gather I make into ME and I sell. It's enough to pay for about half the cost of killing the mob and I get some good skills. I'm perfectly happy with that, I don't need sweat to 100% pay for whatever activity I choose and I don't think it should either.

Sweat is NOT free money, peds from sweating comes from other players. The amount that players are willing to pay for the convenience of not sweating for themselves is what determines sweat prices, not you, not MA, not FPC. You could add 100 more uses for sweat tomorrow and while it would help make sweat easier to sell it wouldn't raise prices much at all because sweat would still be just as easy to get and there's no limit on the supply.

Yeah... you said you agreed with what Lilac had to say... and then said you were being sarcastic, we got it, thanks.

Don't try to hijack others threads with our views? Really? You started this thread asking for people's opinion on which of your ideas (though neither was original, I've heard both in game and on these forums before...) was better. A discussion on those ideas followed. Did you really expect that everyone would simply choose A or B, MA would read this thread and implement the winning idea, and you could make 5 ped/k for sweat again?

I seriously doubt sweat prices will ever go back up, and really, they don't need to.

I personally still swunt, the sweat I gather I make into ME and I sell. It's enough to pay for about half the cost of killing the mob and I get some good skills. I'm perfectly happy with that, I don't need sweat to 100% pay for whatever activity I choose and I don't think it should either.

Sweat is NOT free money, peds from sweating comes from other players. The amount that players are willing to pay for the convenience of not sweating for themselves is what determines sweat prices, not you, not MA, not FPC. You could add 100 more uses for sweat tomorrow and while it would help make sweat easier to sell it wouldn't raise prices much at all because sweat would still be just as easy to get and there's no limit on the supply.

That is actually his other thread. :ahh: In this one he lists several ideas for making the game more exciting and asks for more ideas. It was starting to get hijacked by people arguing over how land grabs should operate for a few posts, as a result of me mentioning land grabs being a way that people do have an opportunity to obtain land without actually "purchasing" it (though I know very well just how NOT free land grabs are) in response to one of his presented ideas. I kindly asked people to take that discussion to another thread, as it has been an ongoing argument for years and really needs its own thread.

While your comment about sweat, IMO, is pretty much right on, I think you may have mistaken this thread for Alpha's sweating thread. :)

I really don't believe Alpha is trying to be malicious or that he doesn't like the game. I believe he's genuinely trying to be constructive. A lot of people come to EU with big ideas that would really fundamentally change the dynamics and gameplay of EU, and it usually isn't until later that they realize why some of these changes don't take place, when they better understand how EU works and/or what it is.

I don't know about the rest of the community, but I really don't think it is a bad thing for people to come here and start discussing ideas, whether they be good or bad (as viewed by the rest of us) and I don't think we should discourage ideas at all. However, those presenting ideas also need to realize that once they post something on the forum, that the ideas they post are up for discussion. Most everyone who presents new ideas in real life had better be ready to either explain and convince, or be flexible to change those ideas, and pretty much the same thing goes here.

I think what he really wants here is more suggestions to improve the game or "make it more exciting" as his thread title suggests. He doesn't much seem up for discussing the ideas he presented, but the discussion happened anyway as it always will happen when someone presents an idea. Does anyone else have any other ideas that they would like to bring to the table to discuss? :girl:

So what is the incentive to skill to a higher level.

The idea is that players and societies can go in stages, as currently designed the land grab is not an incentive to increase the skills for the vast majority of the avatars of Calypso. The same applies to the Oil Rig, would be much more interesting that we had one second Oil Rig where vehicles could not be used, armor and weapons were limited to the Sollomate Opalo and only with spawns of medium mobs. In this way we would see interesting challenges of tactics and strategy between players of any level and not just a hellish uber equipment deployment for a few "owners" of the Oil Rig. I'm sure we could see epic battles between societies of all levels for control of the Rig.

Last edited:
Does anyone else have any other ideas that they would like to bring to the table to discuss? :girl:
- One day a month you can do a free round trip TP to any planet. If you choose to stay, great. If not, no biggie, you use that round trip to get back... but you have to use the round trip in less then 24 hours or else the ticket will cost you. This one day a month should be done every month. Will it make hanger owners lose money, maybe, but probably not much. Will it encourage people to explore the game and all the planets more - definitely!

- Personal mission brokers. This would be something estate owners could use similar to a shopkeeper mixed with an event terminal, and would work similar to the event system mixed in with the orders section of auction, only it'd be much cheaper then either the event terminal or the orders tab because it'd allow for long term repeatable quests to be set up at a low cost... so if a merchant wants to set up so that people have to bring his mission broker one type of item that it'll buy at a set price, he just has to load it up with cash and it'll pay first come first serve til it's out of funds. If an LA owner wants a long term event to go on for months instead of just for the 30 minutes allowed by event terminal - no problem, just call ont he mission broker... could even set up stuff that some avatars do now... maybe even add a bracket system to it so that stuff like pvp tounaments that go on and on with a new battle every week could be done. Make it so that the prizes for every week is all set up there at the beginning so that it can't be changed in the middle of the championship, etc.

- Government/Corporate NPCs in game... these are actually avatars FPC runs and they give out little missions, some repeatable, others not, on a regular basis... adds more to the everyday excitement in game. Governor Humpty is asking for some certain type of item... and is willing to pay x amount to the first 25 that give it to him, etc.

- Factories... large industrial places (near Omegaton would be nice since it does say something in the popup about the corporation expanding the city's facilities in the future)... places where repeatable missions can be done DAILY... this would be similar to the repeatable mining quest, but there'd be a lot more missions there, and the missions would be able to be done by any skill level as there is always some job to do at some level... Lots of possibilities with this one... Look at how many items in entropedia have the name Omegaton on them... All that stuff has to come from somewhere. Ingredients are needed for the blueprint recipies.... This factory could even have a "shop" tied to it that is run by FPC itself (or an NPC) who restocks it based on what items come in from the missions... sort of like the old weapon/armor trader NPCs were but with more of a goal/focus... and worked in to the mission system. If the NPCs (or in game crafters assigned the mission of crafting for the factory) create x amount of stuff, the shop can only sell x amount of stuff til another avatar takes on the mission to collect more of the ingredients, etc.

- Rebuild the cities and buildings everywhere like was done with PA not too long ago.

- more low cost/free missions... give sweaters and other lowbies more to do when they can't deposit so that all avatars can be in game doing something fun daily, every day of the month.

- Make a craftable version of the kiwio and make it UL... the low cost to play with that level is pretty fun. I do it a lot with my viper whip. Similarly, make lower level puny mobs (maybe call them sicklings or something) that have only 5 health instead of 10.

- REMOVE THE NO LOOTERS ALL TOGETHER!... No need for no looters to stick around since blazers and novas exist...

- FPC, if you read this, and you do add factories, please keep in mind the differences between the various corporations and their goals, etc. in design of NPCS, quests, etc.

http://unionova.eu/eu/history/corporations/

Genesis Star Interstellar

"Masters of Progress"

Genesis Star Interstellar is a relatively young but very ambitious company, remaining alert to any opportunity that may present itself. The corporation relies on a quick wit and raw strength to get what they want, a trait that can sometimes make them seem aggressive and somewhat reckless. For Genesis Star hesitation means loss and any failure is quickly covered up by a success elsewhere. They are considered to be very anti-imperial and like to blame Omegaton Industries for illicit federal support that would cause market unbalance had it not been for their presence on the planet.

Unverified rumors claim that the Federal Empire gave Genesis Star access to Calypso because they give quick results, thus encouraging the other corporations to increase their own rate of planetary development. Indeed Genesis Star finished their initial part of the imperial contract before all the other corporations. The Federal Empire saw this as proof of their strength and a clear signal to the other two dominant corporations that Genesis Star Interstellar is a very competitive force to reckon with.

Quotes made by Genesis Star about:
Chikara OmniWorld: "Silence doesn't mean wisdom, it's just a sign of hidden weakness."

Omegaton Industries: "We'll watch you squirm in the imperials claws till you choke, and when they are done with you we'll be there to pick your bones and help scatter your ashes."

Genesis Star: "We have risen from the ashes of the past to burn as bright as a guiding star into the future."

Chikara OmniWorld Corporation

"The power to shape worlds"

Chikara OmniWorld Corporation is a very stringent and powerful organization. It's renowned for its firm stance on solid ground and is proud of its long business tradition. They value the traits of wisdom, discipline and honor, which result in their strength and stability. Their standing and power allows them to be patient and observant, which can sometimes makes them seem rather slow in taking initiatives but when they act, they actwith great force in the right place and at the right time.

The seniority of the mighty corporation helps to insure a peaceful community on Calypso, even though its presence is strongly opposed by Genesis Star Interstellar. Some refer to it as yet another clever diversion by the Federal Empire to keep political activity within the Genesis Star administration at bay, a rumor Chikara OmniWorld officials have chosen not to comment on.

Quotes made by Chikara OmniWorld about:
Genesis Star: "A stubborn child needs to be observed by wiser eyes"

Omegatech Industries: "Loyalty is only a virtue if it's equally respected by both sides"

Chikara OmniWorld: "Power in itself is worth nothing unless you know how to harness and control it."

Omegaton Industries

"Enlightens your Mind"

Omegaton Industries is known as a survivor. During the centuries before Calypsos discovery, it struggled hard to gain access to new market resources, driving the corporation dangerously close to the brink of ruin on several occasions. Their risk taking and persistence however, did pay off in the end. Omegaton Industries put the first humans on Calypso, a historical event which has been somewhat overshadowed by the ensuing robot wars, which forced the corporation to sign parts of the company over to the Federal Empire in order to escape financial collapse. This new influence did nonetheless secure their position as a leading interstellar corporation. Even though Omegaton were reluctant to relinquish control to a federal administration, it had little choice, and the corporation is now pledged to follow many imperial directives. Many of the leading individuals in control of Omegaton are trying to cut the cords of association with the Empire.

The corporation values loyalty and hard work above all else, a trait that has helped them survive the worst of times and which has also made them a trustworthy ally for the Federal Empire. Backed up by a strong federal economy, the struggle for survival is now based on keeping the new partners satisfied, a fact regarded as a waste of power to some of the more prominent owners of the company.

Quotes by Omegaton Industries about:
Chikara OmniWorld: "They are strong enough to allow themselves to be observant, and they are wise enough to keep silent about what they see."

Genesis Star: "They are kept away by the same shadow that keeps us under its protective shade, like little children afraid of the dark and of what dwells therein."

Omegaton Industries: "It may look dark living under the shadow of another, but at least it's safe"

I might add more ideas later, but this is enough for you to chew on for now...

Last edited:
thing is when u start u want to discover new things, after a while ... nothing left

i want some decent mobs i can't hunt solo but i don't think they will add such a mob permanent...

for me its getting very boring trying to do different things but not so sure for how long..

- Government/Corporate NPCs in game... these are actually avatars FPC runs and they give out little missions, some repeatable, others not, on a regular basis... adds more to the everyday excitement in game. Governor Humpty is asking for some certain type of item... and is willing to pay x amount to the first 25 that give it to him, etc.

I really like this idea... maybe not with straight ped rewards as this could mess with markets, but perhaps there could be a special category of "lore" loot given out at a very low ped value... some "lore" might be very common... (orange gloves), or an unlimited kiwio, while others would be comparable to the rare-ish items in game... missions could be designed so that only one could be completed in a 24 hour period, but the missions could be designed so that each could be completed in a couple hours, and none would require under 200 ped cycled to complete. A new mission could be generated each day...

The idea is that players and societies can go in stages, as currently designed the land grab is not an incentive to increase the skills for the vast majority of the avatars of Calypso. The same applies to the Oil Rig, would be much more interesting that we had one second Oil Rig where vehicles could not be used, armor and weapons were limited to the Sollomate Opalo and only with spawns of medium mobs. In this way we would see interesting challenges of tactics and strategy between players of any level and not just a hellish uber equipment deployment for a few "owners" of the Oil Rig. I'm sure we could see epic battles between societies of all levels for control of the Rig.

The land grab isn't meant for noobs. The prizes at stake are worth a lot of money.

There are plenty of noob-only or noob-orientated events and missions. Landgrabs, PVP and other high-end activities are for those that put the effort in time and the money in to participate.

It's not fair for those who have spent a lot of money to be able to play the top level activities to suddenly introduce the identical gameplay; at lower levels; limited to noobs.

To intro a second "restricted" oil rig or land-grab only de-values the real events. If you wanna participate in highlevel events, deposit or be prepared to spend a lot of time.

That is actually his other thread. ...

Whoops :ahh:

I got a bit confused since the post by Alpha that I replied to he was talking about sweat, guess we both got the wrong thread, lol.

The land grab isn't meant for noobs. The prizes at stake are worth a lot of money.

There are plenty of noob-only or noob-orientated events and missions. Landgrabs, PVP and other high-end activities are for those that put the effort in time and the money in to participate.

It's not fair for those who have spent a lot of money to be able to play the top level activities to suddenly introduce the identical gameplay; at lower levels; limited to noobs.

To intro a second "restricted" oil rig or land-grab only de-values the real events. If you wanna participate in highlevel events, deposit or be prepared to spend a lot of time.

Now are you the restrictive. At this time you can only access the Oil Rig or possess a land (as a society) if you deposit huge amounts of money, well above the changes of the majority of the rest of the avatars or societies can.

The concept of offering products in segments, in this case skills segmented, is fully developed in the corporate world. You can see it from automotive to cosmetics companies.

This thread was created under the title of "suggestions to bring more excitment...", my two proposals have that goal in mind, but not limited to a small set of avatars, but for the vast majority of us.

Give them to societies in the list of the most numerous of Calypso (not the higher average skill) the opportunity to compete for Oil Rig II or for a Special Land Grab will significantly increase the interest and the excitment of many avatars in these events.

Experience, and you can believe that I have both in corporate and military, indicates that the best incentive to reach a goal you can give someone is that this goal is attainable, not impossible.

Recap

Some good ideas coming out from people.

Fishing seems to be a liked option.

Personal/Corporate Quests also seems to be a good idea to inject more variety into the game.

Stronger storyline events also seems to be a common thought, not just here but in other threads to.

I agree with it would not be fair for sweat to be so easy to get if it has more uses/ value so it should be balanced out. More uses/harder-longer to get.

What people are forgetting tho is this game is not a closed system, it relies on input ($ deposited) therefore you need to give people a reason to deposit. Thats why the thought of Homesteading and mortgages is a good idea. It increases the chances of people depositing - more people more demand increase in prices.

However one bad thing has come to the fore. There seems to be a definite them and us mentality from depositors. The attitude that you are somehow better or entitled to more just because someone hasn't deposited YET, is frankly arrogant and damnright rude. You should be encouraging more people to participate and enjoy the game to the point they DO deposit as that would benefit you more in the long run.

Keep the ideas coming guys, maybe JUST maybe, FPC will take note and do something. :):)

pornography terminals

However one bad thing has come to the fore. There seems to be a definite them and us mentality from depositors. The attitude that you are somehow better or entitled to more just because someone hasn't deposited YET, is frankly arrogant and damnright rude.

I think you are perceiving this the wrong way. From the other side, it looks like there is a them and us attitude from some of the non-depositors. The attitude that you are somehow a victim because you haven't invested money in EU, or are entitled to the money that they have invested, for little to no effort on your part. THAT is arrogant and rude.

EU was designed for use by people from all levels of income. What people get irritated with, is when someone says something to the tune of "well I want to be able to do that too, but I don't want to have to invest the same amount of money or work/time in order to be able to do it." Why should people be able to obtain land, a potential profit-generating item, easily and for free, when others have had to invest thousands of dollars or years of work to get the same? Can you buy a 10-million-dollar mansion if your only source of funds is a part-time, minimum-wage job you work at the corner store? If you work by yourself all summer long planting and caring for bean plants so that you'll have some to store and eat throughout the winter, is the entire neighborhood then entitled to your beans when they're ready for harvest, just because they didn't plant any? Would you not perceive it as rude and arrogant if you bought a house then had some beggar knock on your door and demand that you allow him to live there for free because he is new to the neighborhood and hasn't *yet* invested anything? If you've come to EU to make money with little to no brainpower or work, and little to no investment of time or money, then you really have come to the wrong place - you have to at least be able to think creatively and be willing to invest time to make money.

There have been hundreds, maybe even thousands, of posts on the forum basically saying the same thing over the years: "It's not fair! The depositors get to do it, but I don't/can't/won't invest that kind of money but I should still be able to do it, too!" This is what people are hearing, and to them, THIS sounds rude and arrogant and ignorant, especially coming from someone who is new to the game and hasn't yet invested anything. It sounds exactly the same as greeting someone in front of their home and saying "Gimme your money." "Why?" "Because you have some and I don't, and I want some."

That's kinda what the homesteading idea sounds like... and I'm sure that's especially so for those who already do own land, but even for those who don't they can see plain as day that the current landowners would be screwed over if land started being made available for no cost. Sure, to be able to keep and make profit from the land, you'd have to "make improvements" on it, but you'd still be obtaining the land for free, and I'm sure the "improvements" you are thinking of shouldn't come nearly close to the cost of what a current land area, or even the current available improvements to the current land areas would cost. (If you're wondering, it costs 100,000 PED to add the cheapest teleporter, and 10,000 PED for a support pod with 2 terminals. Everything else is between 10,000 and 150,000 PED per item - and they also have to obtain DNA for creatures, fertilize the spawn regularly, etc.)

What you have presented here as an idea for homesteading (at least in the way you have presented it) and for making things more exciting sounds, to the regular depositor and to the investor, like a beggar asking for free money - money that they know THEY will be paying for. (I'm sure even the development team that works at FPC doesn't work for free - guess how they get paid?) If this is not the case, then perhaps you should present the idea in another manner, or explain the idea more thoroughly. What are you thinking of, exactly, in terms of homesteading as it would work in EU? Why would anyone want to do this (profit potential?) How would this work (taxes?) What kind of costs, exactly, are you thinking of for these "improvements" and any other associated costs? What, exactly, are these "improvements" that you are thinking of? And another big question: if you can lose the land by stopping the improvement process, why would anyone invest in improvements at all when, if something like a 6-month illness were to occur, they would lose everything they've invested?

Perhaps if you clarify this, the idea can at least be discussed, instead of being shot down immediately as an elaborate way of begging for free money.

my wish: make quests a group activity

erm no, even more individual quests would be nice from my point of view, but ADDING team quests would be awesome.

That's where several people at the same time take on this team quest, so they can get back to it together until finished.

Not sure if that will work with the length of some of these Iron Challenge Missions higher up though.

That would maybe take too much time from every member of the team - difficulty with finishing quests maybe.

So perhaps it is possible to create team quests less lengthy.

But good point.

Some good ideas coming out from people.

However one bad thing has come to the fore. There seems to be a definite them and us mentality from depositors. The attitude that you are somehow better or entitled to more just because someone hasn't deposited YET, is frankly arrogant and damnright rude. You should be encouraging more people to participate and enjoy the game to the point they DO deposit as that would benefit you more in the long run.

I don't think most of us feel that way about all non depositors... I know quite a few very skilled people who have never put a dime in game and who have more ped on their card than I do and I definiitely don't feel that they don't have the right to enjoy the game.

they didn't accomplish this, however, by spending forever in swamp camp. they found niches in other areas of the game like trading or were just very smart with selling and markups...

the problem with adding more "free and profitable" opportunities for pre-depositing new players is that there's probably a group of 15% of the active playerbase who have been here for years, would rather spend 20$ of electricity than deposit 10$, and will do nothing but that activity until it becomes about as tedious and non-rewarding as sweating.

Now are you the restrictive. At this time you can only access the Oil Rig or possess a land (as a society) if you deposit huge amounts of money, well above the changes of the majority of the rest of the avatars or societies can.

The concept of offering products in segments, in this case skills segmented, is fully developed in the corporate world. You can see it from automotive to cosmetics companies.

This thread was created under the title of "suggestions to bring more excitment...", my two proposals have that goal in mind, but not limited to a small set of avatars, but for the vast majority of us.

Give them to societies in the list of the most numerous of Calypso (not the higher average skill) the opportunity to compete for Oil Rig II or for a Special Land Grab will significantly increase the interest and the excitment of many avatars in these events.

Experience, and you can believe that I have both in corporate and military, indicates that the best incentive to reach a goal you can give someone is that this goal is attainable, not impossible.

This goal is attainable for the big depositors.

No offence, but MA and FPC do not want the majority of the game to be aimed at noobs. If it is, a major chunk of their income leaves. By the way, there are plenty of avatars in the top5 societies who have either never deposited, or only deposited a "startup" capital. They have, instead of using the might of their credit card, used their knowledge and will to get so far into the game.

You seem to think it's all about money, and in ways such as the landgrab, it is. Yourself and other "average" spending players are fine, but MA would much prefer players who spend your yearly budget in a day. Which is what happens, many times over, when the LandGrab starts.

LA's sell for 100k. This is not a price solely determined by their difficulty to get, but much more determined by the money they can rake in for the owners. What you are saying is make an "easy" landgrab, where players can obtain a land area for a FRACTION of the cost of a current LA.

To say it should be restricted to those societies with the most members is even more ludicrous - how much effort does it take to add every noob off the ship or create a bunch of alt avatars, really.

The other side of the argument is that there are plenty of players here who have worked incredibly hard and been very dedicated to this game to get where they are at the moment. To say that this effort should be diminished by creating "easy" versions of things that only they can currently enjoy is just not right.

All of this is also attainable for any player, no matter how new. If you have the right mindset you will succeed, regardless of luck. Or, you could be lucky. It's not hard to get a big loot. Even mobs of 900hp (atrox young) can drop up to 30kped.

Just because a goal isn't possible for you personally to attain via buying it, as you assume all have, doesn't mean it isn't for a lot of other players. There are plenty of examples of people who have more money than sense, and that senseless spending is what has kept MA afloat, not, no offence, your $100.

However, a goal may, and in this case is, obtainable by MANY other means.

Homesteading

Here's a little clarification to help Ice. Homesteading would be small areas, nowhere near the size of LA's so in no way would they be competition to LA owners, as I stated instead it is a way to get people to INVEST in the game. This is about ADDING revenue to the game, not penalising people.

"There have been hundreds, maybe even thousands, of posts on the forum basically saying the same thing over the years: "It's not fair! The depositors get to do it, but I don't/can't/won't invest that kind of money but I should still be able to do it, too!" This is what people are hearing, and to them, THIS sounds rude and arrogant and ignorant, especially coming from someone who is new to the game and hasn't yet invested anything. It sounds exactly the same as greeting someone in front of their home and saying "Gimme your money." "Why?" "Because you have some and I don't, and I want some." "

Again, this is an them and us attitude. I am not and have never stated that you should get a free ride without putting anything into the game. All along I have been proposing ways to encourage people to deposit, ways in which they can build up, if they are not allowed the chance to do that what you are actually saying is you are happy for people to deposit small amounts which they can't do much with but which you can reap the benefits of.

I'm sorry Ice but to me it seems like there is an unwillingness to view things on an unbiased level, instead it comes across as "Oh they are noobs, they aren't important and all they want is a freeride".

Until the existing players realise that unless more "noobs" keep coming in the game is dead then there is nothing anyone can do to help. Like I have said before this game is not a closed system i.e. it needs outside resources(players and deposits) and for it to grow it needs to grow those outside resources. You keep discouraging new people then the game will shrivel up and die. This is an economic fact, so if you people really love the game then try having a bit of an open mind and thinking about the game not your personal wants, needs, biases.

This is not aimed at you Ice as at least you are making an effort at dialogue but you do have to lose the "every improvement is a free one costing me money" slant and look at will this benefit the game.

All of this is also attainable for any player, no matter how new.

Just because a goal isn't possible for you personally to attain via buying it, as you assume all have, doesn't mean it isn't for a lot of other players.

However, a goal may, and in this case is, obtainable by MANY other means.
As Aio say it is possible for ANY player even you and me in many different ways (none that suit me atm tho lol)

What are you thinking of, exactly, in terms of homesteading as it would work in EU? Why would anyone want to do this (profit potential?) How would this work (taxes?) What kind of costs, exactly, are you thinking of for these "improvements" and any other associated costs? What, exactly, are these "improvements" that you are thinking of? And another big question: if you can lose the land by stopping the improvement process, why would anyone invest in improvements at all when, if something like a 6-month illness were to occur, they would lose everything they've invested?

Perhaps if you clarify this, the idea can at least be discussed, instead of being shot down immediately as an elaborate way of begging for free money.

Here's a little clarification to help Ice. Homesteading would be small areas, nowhere near the size of LA's so in no way would they be competition to LA owners, as I stated instead it is a way to get people to INVEST in the game. This is about ADDING revenue to the game, not penalising people.
Was this your whole clarification as answer to Silvers question?

free bump good ideas :)

It would be interesting if the inside of apartments could be treated like little LAs, lol. Maybe the new pet system will do something like that, or should, not that it really stands any chance of happening...

I could see adding 'homesteads' to the game for things like harvesting (if it ever gets addedd lol) but not for hunting or mining. That would indeed cheapen existing LA's. reguardless of the size of these homesteads if you can hunt or mine on it then everyone would just go to their own homestead, it wouldn't have to be the size of a current LA to support one person =p

There are already more appartments and houses in game than are needed / wanted by the current player base, these estates are spread all over the place and most get little to no traffic except for the people that live there.

The player base is already spread over too many cities as it is and you would have us all with our own personal plot of land. More segregation is NOT what is needed. MA / FPC / NDS / whoever needs to be thinking of ways to bring players together, not spread us out more.

Look at twin peaks. This is where most people go to trade but that's only because it's the best option available. Imagine if FPC were to create a real trade hub. Put in some landmarks or signs for people to stand by, put the auctioneer outside as well so you can hear the traders still while taking care of any auction business. An area like that would also be a great place for some in-game advertising. Also, start noobs off with whatever TP that would be so they don't have to run for an hour or catch a ride just to get to a decent place to sell loot.

Some of the ideas put forward in this thread have merit, but there are far too many basic issues that need to be addressed and old systems promised for over a year now that need to come back before anything like this is even looked in to.

ok... for the sake of argument and not being completely closed minded... here's what I think it might take to work...

• homesteads should involve a completely different game function than hunting or mining so as not to compete with land owners
  • minimal new game systems introduced... perhaps fishing as it might be coming anyway. There's a crapload of residual expenses that mid level players who have already paid their fair share in the game have to pay.
  • the system would have to be centered around items with 0 TT... like fruit or stones... no sucking actual ped from the loot pool
  • The sytsem CANNOT be set up so that players intent on long term non depositing can milk it dry with little effort. perhaps new "colonists" could acesss a communal homestead free for the first three months, and then would have to buy one (or maybe even given one for depositing X amount). it also has to be set up so that functionally, a player would NEED to either deposit or spend earned ped to maintain it.
  • a mechanism in place so that half the homesteads dont end up abandoned like the apartments in game or sucked up by speculators... perhaps a monthly "homesteading permit fee" that was manditory lest the homestead be reposessed.

Finally, profit potential from the system needs to be very minimal... the goal should be to create a new way to engage the game as a depositor at a low cost for those who genuinely don't have fun in the other professions, not to replace depositing or diminish the appeal of hunting, mining, or crafting.

I appologize if you proposed the idea with these considrations, I honestly thought you were simply looking for something that could be exploited by non depositors. and my response was somewhat hostile as such... if anything I said seems off-base, let me know as I'm trying to be constructive and genuinely understand your idea...

Last edited:
There are already more appartments and houses in game than are needed / wanted by the current player base, these estates are spread all over the place and most get little to no traffic except for the people that live there.
Yep, that's why they should shrink the place instead of constantly adding more empty spaces... The way to do that... Take all of Amethera that exists now and put all the LAs that exist next to one another and remove all non-participant owned land on the entire continent... Then as new places are added, add them to the outer edge of the map. This would lower "decay" on TP jump costs, but would make the entire continent more friendly since cities are next door to one another... then do the same thing in other continents, etc. A continent that is participant owned should be 100% participant owned, with all the borders next to one another, just like IRL when a new countries are started... right now MA is still counting on the ancient "old west" type of mentality but should not be hanging on to that so much because eventually IRL that whole thing went away... not a spec of California that no one owns now, even if some of it's government owned. In game on the other hand, we got this little blue dot here, that other one 5 miles to the west, another 3 to north, etc.

.. ADDING team quests would be awesome.

That's where several people at the same time take on this team quest, so they can get back to it together until finished.

Not sure if that will work with the length of some of these Iron Challenge Missions higher up though.

That would maybe take too much time from every member of the team - difficulty with finishing quests maybe.

So perhaps it is possible to create team quests less lengthy.

My guess is you joined after vu10.

What you're suggesting sounds like our old 'beacon missions', an instance only available to teams.

This is one of the old systems currently under redevelopment, as referred to in Marco's post here
Beacon missions are going to be part of the current missions system, but greatly expanded to allow for more than just robot ships – with it FPC can add a variety of instanced “dungeons” with different themes and styles.

Lilac

Yes Lilac that is pretty much how I saw it. Not as a toatl freebie but as something you would have to spend on to maintain. Thank you. We need MORE systems for getting these people involved enough to deposit. There has been some really useful input on this thread and some great ideas, which goes to show there is a lot of room for expansion.
I agree with Mastermesh the empty spaces should be "joined" up it would make more sense that dropping things here there and everywhere like they are.
I also agree that there are a LOT of fixes with existing things that need to be done, but there also needs to be some idea of where its heading. The feeling I'm seeing in the forums is that a lot has been promised, little has been delivered and a lot of people are becoming disillusioned. I can see things from MA/FPC's side, it costs to do everything and sometimes its hard to get things done within budgets. That's part of the reason for this thread, to show them that players could be of use in helping with ideas, concepts and that they should talk to us more.
Keep the discussion going :)

Again, this is an them and us attitude. I am not and have never stated that you should get a free ride without putting anything into the game. All along I have been proposing ways to encourage people to deposit, ways in which they can build up, if they are not allowed the chance to do that what you are actually saying is you are happy for people to deposit small amounts which they can't do much with but which you can reap the benefits of.

I'm sorry Ice but to me it seems like there is an unwillingness to view things on an unbiased level, instead it comes across as "Oh they are noobs, they aren't important and all they want is a freeride".

Until the existing players realise that unless more "noobs" keep coming in the game is dead then there is nothing anyone can do to help. Like I have said before this game is not a closed system i.e. it needs outside resources(players and deposits) and for it to grow it needs to grow those outside resources. You keep discouraging new people then the game will shrivel up and die. This is an economic fact, so if you people really love the game then try having a bit of an open mind and thinking about the game not your personal wants, needs, biases.

This is not aimed at you Ice as at least you are making an effort at dialogue but you do have to lose the "every improvement is a free one costing me money" slant and look at will this benefit the game.

I was just pointing out to you that this is exactly what your idea was sounding like. Judging from the reaction of others, I'm not the only one who saw that it could be viewed in this manner. Believe it or not, I am trying to HELP your idea by trying to get you to explain it in more detail, so that this cannot be misinterpreted as another "please give me a free ride" thread. I, personally, am not looking at it with any "slant," but merely pointing out to you what your idea looked like. I gave you plenty of room to dispute this, and while it took you awhile to do so, you're getting there, and in a calm and civilized manner, too... so you get a big thumbs up from me. ;) I'm not trying to put you down or stifle your ideas, I'm trying to get you to divulge more information, and not just for myself, but for anyone else who comes across this thread, too, so they can see, and maybe even appreciate your ideas. Feel free to dispute everything that I say, you're only helping yourself by doing so. :cool:

Was this your whole clarification as answer to Silvers question?

It was not much of an explanation and didn't clarify many of my questions. It was merely an attempt to prove it wasn't a "free ride" idea. Not very convincing, imo, I was looking for more than that, but he's opening up a little more on the subject, which is much appreciated.

ok... for the sake of argument and not being completely closed minded... here's what I think it might take to work...

• homesteads should involve a completely different game function than hunting or mining so as not to compete with land owners
  • minimal new game systems introduced... perhaps fishing as it might be coming anyway. There's a crapload of residual expenses that mid level players who have already paid their fair share in the game have to pay.
  • the system would have to be centered around items with 0 TT... like fruit or stones... no sucking actual ped from the loot pool
  • The sytsem CANNOT be set up so that players intent on long term non depositing can milk it dry with little effort. perhaps new "colonists" could acesss a communal homestead free for the first three months, and then would have to buy one (or maybe even given one for depositing X amount). it also has to be set up so that functionally, a player would NEED to either deposit or spend earned ped to maintain it.
  • a mechanism in place so that half the homesteads dont end up abandoned like the apartments in game or sucked up by speculators... perhaps a monthly "homesteading permit fee" that was manditory lest the homestead be reposessed.

Finally, profit potential from the system needs to be very minimal... the goal should be to create a new way to engage the game as a depositor at a low cost for those who genuinely don't have fun in the other professions, not to replace depositing or diminish the appeal of hunting, mining, or crafting.

I appologize if you proposed the idea with these considrations, I honestly thought you were simply looking for something that could be exploited by non depositors. and my response was somewhat hostile as such... if anything I said seems off-base, let me know as I'm trying to be constructive and genuinely understand your idea...

This is the type of answer I was looking for, Alpha. This explains what the idea is, opens it up for discussion and improvement/further idea building, and attempts to put people's minds at ease about what this idea refers to. And to the last sentence, you see, if you don't give details, people automatically assume. You can't blame them, really, as there has been a ton of actual begging that has gone on throughout the years. Depositors have actually, over the years, been bombarded and directly insulted by noobs wanting a free ride, and it was easy to see how people could and would think that this was going to turn into another one of those instances.

I like lilac's idea of incorporating fishing into this. Fishing seems to be something that a lot of people want to see implemented, ever since it was first discussed. I also like the idea of having this be a low-cost, limited time activity for noobs. To address the idea of space, or spreading people more thinly on their own pieces of property, make it for noobish players, and put all of the land in a concentrated area around PA.

My guess is you joined after vu10.
What you're suggesting sounds like our old 'beacon missions', an instance only available to teams.

I miss beacon missions :( Those WERE exciting, when you had the right team together.

Yes Lilac that is pretty much how I saw it. Not as a toatl freebie but as something you would have to spend on to maintain. Thank you. We need MORE systems for getting these people involved enough to deposit. There has been some really useful input on this thread and some great ideas, which goes to show there is a lot of room for expansion.
I agree with Mastermesh the empty spaces should be "joined" up it would make more sense that dropping things here there and everywhere like they are.
I also agree that there are a LOT of fixes with existing things that need to be done, but there also needs to be some idea of where its heading. The feeling I'm seeing in the forums is that a lot has been promised, little has been delivered and a lot of people are becoming disillusioned. I can see things from MA/FPC's side, it costs to do everything and sometimes its hard to get things done within budgets. That's part of the reason for this thread, to show them that players could be of use in helping with ideas, concepts and that they should talk to us more.
Keep the discussion going :)

People forget, too, that FPC is only like a 12 man team or something like that. It takes awhile to develop things, and with VU10, everything had to be re-developed nearly from scratch. They're still working on getting in the old stuff while trying to bring in some new, refreshing stuff at the same time AND fixing bugs. That is a lot of work for such a small team of people, plus they have to do it within a budget, I'm sure. People become disillusioned rather quickly at times, as you have even seen from this thread, people make assumptions and have gut reactions to anything and everything. This is why explanations and open communication is a must, even if not everyone wants to hear what it is that you have to say... of course, not everyone is going to like what you have to say, no matter what you say.

Back