Sweating Etiquette

Ranavolana

Old Alpha
Society
Team Varyag
Louise Ranavolana Brooks
Following an argument/discussion I had with another player about how to behave while sweating, I am posting here to ask for advice regarding sweating; what is acceptable, what is effective.

If a person is able to sweat a mob solo, then they can do whatever they feel like in collecting that sweat - the only person they are affecting is themselves.
But when sweating becomes a cooperative effort, then the behaviour of sweaters should take into account how their behaviour affects others.

Sweating at Royal Club had an advantage in that players who persisted in actions that affected others, well the others could make their displeasure known effectively (that could lead to other problems, but on the whole it was effective). That is till pkers started turning up looking for easy kills, conscripting people who had no interest in PvP into their game play (you could hunt other pkers you total losers but that might be too hard for you)

Since the sweating at Royal Club was moved up the hill out of PvP that solved the pker clown problem - but led to other problems - this is what I need guidance on. My take on group sweating is:

Every time the mob moves, it interrupts the collection of sweat.
Every time the mob cannot move (is blocked) it interrupts the collection of sweat.
If another player stands in front of you, it blocks YOUR collection of sweat.

So the most effective action is for everyone to stand in a circle around the mob, close enough that it cannot move away, but is able to spin around & so is not blocked.

Problems caused, players sweating from a distance, where they think the mob cannot get them, - the mob is aware of them & will try to reach them - moving to do so & stopping sweat collection for everyone.

Players who stand within the circle next to the mob (does the closer you stand increase the sweat you can extract?) these players can block the mob, turning it unreachable.

Players who arrive after everyone else & barge in to stand right in front of you - whether it stops you collecting sweat or not, it is stinking inconsiderate & rude.

Other dumb actions - players returning from revive who don't take the time to move around the circle to find an empty space but bunch up several deep between mob & revive. And these are usually the players who, when the mob runs dry, just stand there (with their fingers up their bums) blocking the mob from being drawn to the turrents.
You would think I am referring to new players, but I keep seeing the same names appearing - they probably have been sweating for longer than I have.

To balance; good & considerate actions players do - if nobody is able to kill mob, drawing it to the turrents.
Going and attracting a fresh mob to the circle.

Am I correct in my take on things?

Remaining comments, I have been called a sweat Nazi, I may be, so what.
and pkers fighting each other in PvP - it is good to see that you do so & are not terrorising innocent sweaters.
And is interesting to watch, but, what can I say, you look like a bunch of rock apes jumping & cavorting around :)

What is this sweating thing you write about? I can't find the sweating option when I access the bank interface to deposit? :scratch2:

what is sweating?

Greetings Louise

Sweating is not the same for all that do it , I personally sweat as a way to break up the monotony of the game and find it relaxing.

What I found the most effective way to curtail afkers and long distance sweaters , was to move the circle every other mob and eventually they dissipate. You will always have the one or two that just cant seem to work for the common good , and with those I drop a pitbull into their sweating path , though do not do that in pvp as it leaves it vulnerable to decay.

One way to also combat this frustration is to move to another planet for a bit such as Cyrene.
Cyrene offers several mobs that can be sweat without healing and give a decent amount of sweat with each. Puny Paneleons are situated right next to the ocean and can be drown if you do not wish to kill the dry ones.

Good luck to you Louise and maybe ill see you on Cyrene : )

Bones

Hmmm, Royal club you say hey....

Just a couple of brief clarifications:
So the most effective action is for everyone to stand in a circle around the mob, close enough that it cannot move away, but is able to spin around & so is not blocked.
It can move away even if someone "blocks" it (I've seen ambu and nusul just step on the circle's heads to get to someone farther out). The question is, WILL it move away disrupting everyone's sweat beams? And the answer is, if you stand farther out, yes.

Players who stand within the circle next to the mob (does the closer you stand increase the sweat you can extract?) these players can block the mob, turning it unreachable.
In past VU's, for about a decade, standing closer to the mob got you hit more often, with a corresponding increased rate of Evade gain. I don't think it works anymore since the "ambu on ur heads" vu (see above), but it remains a strong habit in older players such as myself. Also, in past vu's, about 3 people had to do the dirty job of pinning that ambu into place, or it would jostle around and disrupt sweat beams when switching targets.

Players who arrive after everyone else & barge in to stand right in front of you - whether it stops you collecting sweat or not, it is stinking inconsiderate & rude.
Sometimes one simply does not wait to see everyone's avatars draw. Some of us just guess the correct distance and step in. Sometimes that's the way that works.

and pkers fighting each other in PvP -... is interesting to watch, but, what can I say, you look like a bunch of rock apes jumping & cavorting around :)
:monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey:

Last edited:
Greetings Louise

Sweating is not the same for all that do it , I personally sweat as a way to break up the monotony of the game and find it relaxing.

What I found the most effective way to curtail afkers and long distance sweaters , was to move the circle every other mob and eventually they dissipate. You will always have the one or two that just cant seem to work for the common good , and with those I drop a pitbull into their sweating path , though do not do that in pvp as it leaves it vulnerable to decay.

One way to also combat this frustration is to move to another planet for a bit such as Cyrene.
Cyrene offers several mobs that can be sweat without healing and give a decent amount of sweat with each. Puny Paneleons are situated right next to the ocean and can be drown if you do not wish to kill the dry ones.

Bones
And one more note: Ambu are the only sweat mob I've seen moving the circle regularly become a disaster with. The usual result is that the ambu goes and attacks the AFK's still standing in the circle's previous location. :dunce:

Bag humbug. Sweat is free. Stop being so damn bossy. Control your own actions. Don't try to keep controlling others. U will be happier. If u don't like what others around u do go elsewhere. .. solo swunt. Go buy Ur own la.

Greetings Louise

Bones

What he said :sweat:

This is why I prefer not to group sweat - I am more of a solo sweater - just chilling skilling while I watch some netflix or prepare my taxes.

Thanks for the information and replies everybody :)

Hey Bones, I will visit Cyrene again, I enjoyed it there, especially sweating that carnivorous plant - you could sweat that solo, position yourself just out of its reach & everything was cool :)

Lefty, while it did not occur to me that people may not be aware there were players who may not have seen avatars not loaded yet, I am pretty certain its not the case with the usual suspects who regularly do it at Royal Club.

I think what you are saying in your usual subtle way, is that this sort of stuff happens, suck it up :(

But mastermesh & your bah humbug - makes me want to go all Ghost of Christmases Yet to Come on you & your attitude.
Look at it this way (180 degrees from your viewpoint) its not me setting out to impose MY viewpoint on others.
Its players who set out to impose THEIR viewpoint on EVERYONE ELSE.
Those that know that what they are doing negatively affects the sweat gathering on all the other sweaters, but they just do not care.
Now those folks should be transported - maybe to Cyrene where THEY can sweat plants to their hearts content and the only person they are affecting is themselves.
Note: I do not include new players in this, or players who genuinely if mistakenly believe that they are NOT having a negative effect on other sweaters.
How do I feel about this - well I posted a UTube by Amanda Palmer "Not the Killing Type" sort of sums up how I feel
"I'm saying it NOW
I'm saying it so,
even if you never read this post,
someone else would know"

dont-sweat-the-small-stuff.jpg

Trust me, in seeing 10 years of arguments and strikes and complaints about 'AFKers' and bots and unions both in-game and on forums....

The above picture is all you need.

:sweat:

(x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2

That is the answer!

Oh, and tables ;-)

:sweat:

Want to avoid the frustration of big group sweating? Sweat smaller mobs with your close friends (typically society members). Sweating with random people allows for virtually no accountability. There has been - and likely never will be - any way around that!

Every time the mob moves, it interrupts the collection of sweat.
Every time the mob cannot move (is blocked) it interrupts the collection of sweat.
If another player stands in front of you, it blocks YOUR collection of sweat.

Sounds like solo sweating might avoid some of these issues.

Might be a an old school idea but do focus chips help in anyway to stop these forms of interrupts? If so could invest in a focus chip.

If you are serious about sweating, get a sync chip. Swunt solo or in small groups, or just move it into pvp, pk'ers are iirritating yes but not nearly as much as that one guy sweating the floor in the middle of the circle.

Another note: Sync costs quite a bit more than the additional sweat gathered by using it can earn.

And another note to everyone: Dire Weeds on Cyrene got "Fixed", they move now. My sweat mob of choice on Cyrene is Weak Paneleons, a pleasant solo swunt just north of Rookie TP. Some prefer to circle sweat Rhino Beetles or Mang Changs (another large species of beetle). Personally I'd circle sweat the puny Nimets at Rookie.

only complete idiots would sweat somewhere where they get can get randomly shot by terrorists (you are exactly that, pkers!!!) if they as much as look at them wrong.

I for one don't group sweat at all anymore since

a) solo gives me incomparably more skills
b) I can't take the fucking complaining anymore. "afk, afk so evil!!!!111" BOO HOO guess what morons,

everybody is afk some of the time

[x] topic can be closed

While yes, in a perfect world everyone would cooperate and group sweat as you've laid out in the OP, unfortunately it just doesn't work like that. I've also found it very difficult on Calypso at least to make solo sweating financially viable without masses of evade. As was pointed out in another post, sync chips are prohibitivly expensive to the point where they are almost entirely useless compared to the value of sweat, especially when healing is taken into account. And if you're sweating something where you don't need to heal (which can't be done on calypso solo as a newer player) then you don't get enough extra sweat per hour to make them worth it either.

Honestly I've stopped group sweating these days and if I do want to sweat I leave Calypso. It's one of the few areas where for new players Calypso still has a long way to go. They essentially force you to group sweat and I can't count the number of disciples I've lost because group sweating has made them think this game is full of a bunch of immature asshats

Back