Swine Flu survey

I'm Flu and I don't like PVP! :D
sorry for the offtopic but I couldn't resist

Meh. I've never had a flushot and I've never had the flu, be it bird, swine, or plain old human.

Meh. I've never had a flushot and I've never had the flu, be it bird, swine, or plain old human.

Who gets human flu, anymore?
That's so 2008!

:laugh: :poke:

Human flu, what's that?

Am over it now and out and about again :) Wasn't too bad, ok point me at bird flu now :wtg:

Last edited:
I had one case in the hospital I am working in.

No idea why ppl. are afraid of it...around 300ppl. died of million infected...thats peanuts.
Imagine that tenthousands die each year of normal flue only in my country.
If I were them I woulld be way more concerned about multiresistent germs like some kind of staphylokokkus aureus.
But well, ppl. like to panic.

i've had inside track on some of the stats about swine flu this week: the "100k cases last week" (incidently some media report as doubling of to..., while others as outright number for the week) are not factual. by normal analysis of the prescibed drug data it was 82k and there is a concern in the industry that GP are prescribeing to whole family if one has symptoms or even just pre-emptivly prescribing to those with other illness just in case.

I had one case in the hospital I am working in.

No idea why ppl. are afraid of it...around 300ppl. died of million infected...thats peanuts.
Imagine that tenthousands die each year of normal flue only in my country.
If I were them I woulld be way more concerned about multiresistent germs like some kind of staphylokokkus aureus.
But well, ppl. like to panic.

First pandemic in 40 years.

As for the rest, the current swine flu strain isn't the problem, its the mutated one which follows. The current one isn't especially lethal I'd agree. I'm surprised I've not had it already, the West Midlands has one of the highest occurances of it in the UK.

Read a news report of the first cases of the virus becoming resistant to the current drugs. Same report they say deaths in the UK could be in the ballpark of 20-66k this winter - sounds shocking but normal flu is cause (or assists) of about 15-20k per year so its still all guess work atm.

I hope the medical predictions from the experts arent as horribly wrong as the economy predictions from the experts in that field......... if they are we are all doomed :laugh:

No piggy sickness here... :yay:

*keeps fingers crossed...*

As for the rest, the current swine flu strain isn't the problem, its the mutated one which follows. The current one isn't especially lethal I'd agree. I'm surprised I've not had it already, the West Midlands has one of the highest occurances of it in the UK.

what mutated one that follows? its pure speculation and fear mongering that will happen. why be suprised you havent got it yet, even if the 100k cases last week is accurate, thats about 0.0015 of the population or 1 in 650. I and my partner work in London, get the tube, work in companies with ~1000 and ~500 and not one case yet amongst co-workers. few at my company have children at schools where there were cases couple of weeks back, not passed along.

dont know about resistance, but from talk this week the Tamiflu has only reduced effects anyway, reducing length of fever and other symptoms by a day and apparently with strong side effects for some. i wouldnt be at all surprised if lack of effect is reported as resistance by our media.

I'm approaching it with a fair level of prudence, the industry I work is is relatively "high risk". I understand that it's nothing worse than a normal case of man-flu, however it is more contagious. A fair amount of people in my company are down with swine flu, so much so that it's caused a large shortage of man power, everyone is working there arses off covering shortages of crew, this is of course at a huge expense to the company at the moment, so they're encouraging us to take every reasonable precaution. So contentedly I do what I can, because I'd rather be down the pub, not stuck inside with man-flu :).

swine flu is bullshit... the normal flu kills atleast 100 people a day worldwide... (total number of flu deaths div. by 365 days)

swine flu has killed how many in how many days?

normal flu > swine flu clearly

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

Man flu and Normal flu are 2 completely differant things, normal flu everybody can catch - its a slight discomfort.

Man flu however is differant, only male humans can catch it and it renders them helpless and unable to go to work whilst only being able to watch tv or play video games. Strange as it is, this certain variation of virus does not however prevent the human male from attending the pub and this act could also be viewed as "good theropy", like a sick dog eats grass to be sick and remove the infection.... a male human does the same, goes to the pub, gets hammered on beer (maybe even eats a curry).

After a week of self medication a responcable male can therefore justify going back to work without infecting the office with the severe illness he has had to fight.

...and can be proud he has done his part to prevent the spead of the virus.

Back