Question: Talk first or Hit em with a Mentorship offer

Edward Bear

Young
Society
Freelancer
Edward Teddy Bear
Being a 1 day old noob the idea of a Mentor sounds pretty good :D, however I've found that I get hit with Mentorship offers (and society offers) without any warning, no chat, I'm looking around trying to work out who it is thats offering, the box vanishes, and all continues as if nothing happened. (plus I'm running at 1920x1200 and the box is damn small)

I should point out that I've not asked for Mentorship, in fact I'm stilll trying to get to grips with the in game chat system, and text flying around (esp. in PA).

Is it reasonable to think that someone should actually talk to me first? Are these people really trying to be helpful?, and this is the normal way mentorship is offered?

Here's a good guide to the mentorship system.
It's a large PDF file so be patient.
http://rp.apachenet.de/downloads/Entropia_Guide.pdf

Yes It is reasonable to talk to a potential mentor for some time before accepting. Sounds like you're running it to our friendly neighbourhood scammers.:rolleyes:

Those ppl who are hitting you with the box for mentorship with out talking to you are basically trying to Farm you so when you get to a certain level you are unable to kick them as your mentor (Know as Disciple Farmers) They are really after the gift and nothing else. you will prob find that they will be very limited in helping you out until they get you to the lock in level (1% in any of the Graduation Areas)

Soc spams could be for a number of reason. to get numbers so a new soc does not fold or they missed the mentorship line when hitting you with the request

my 2 Pec any way

Thanks for the replies :) I thought as much but being new its difficult to know thats going on.

Elford that guide looks excellent !! :D

Those ppl who are hitting you with the box for mentorship with out talking to you are basically trying to Farm you so when you get to a certain level you are unable to kick them as your mentor (Know as Disciple Farmers) They are really after the gift and nothing else. you will prob find that they will be very limited in helping you out until they get you to the lock in level (1% in any of the Graduation Areas)

Soc spams could be for a number of reason. to get numbers so a new soc does not fold or they missed the mentorship line when hitting you with the request

my 2 Pec any way

I agree. I was lucky enough to be set straight before the kickable period expired. But what really pissed me off was that I was on the TP pad, following my (new and kickass) mentor somewhere for a TP run the box popped up in the corner. I was typing in chat and frantically hit the accept button because I thought it was my mentor inviting me to join the team. I got to my destination and was no longer a freelancer, because some asswipe was randomly hitting people in orange with soc invitations. This was, I believe, the day after I left the society my first "mentor" invited me to join.

Sure new socs want enough members to not get disbanded, but FFS do it the right way and ask for recruits, station pets, hell, use the forum. Or find enough people willing to join before you actually make it. Bushwhacking newbies fresh off the dock is rather rude even if leaving a society is painless compared to booting a useless mentor when the time's up.

Remember, the things described here such as adding people all the time etc, is harassment and not allowed under the TOS. So, make sure to take down names and screenshots, and file abuse-reports against these abusers

Anyone who makes the mentorship or soc offer without talking to you first will never ever help you whatsoever, and may be trying to scam you.

Don't accept offers of this kind, ever. Talk to the person first, always.

I fully agree.

Back