The growing universe and the ability to move in it

Nice comments everyone - ty! :)
It's a virtual universe, so comparing the platform with a shopping high street (or shopping centre/department store under one roof) was to say there is basically no 'real' travel required - it is a construct. Charging ppl to go from one shop or section to another damages the attractiveness of the platform as a whole. There is the expression 'competitive symbiosis', in which competitors using a particular platform actually help to make the platform itself more competitive against other platforms. They can all benefit as a result.

A captive audience used to mean captivated in terms of them paying full attention to the action - being fully immersed - fully happy - not being held back from leaving to another place...

The hanger owners: an effortless income of 20-40 peds per day would certainly be acceptable for an investment of 100-200k peds (assuming the invested sum can be retrieved again at some point), but I have no knowledge of the accuracy of any values mentioned here. But ok, the hanger business model does need to be thought about, as well as this 'temporary' solution.
By the way - the shuttle service to Medusa yesterday did indeed seem to be free by all offering it (I even took one person twice because the tp disappeared from his list again for some reason - bug? - and yes, he used the tp to leave, so it can't not have been activated by him not being close enough).

Suggested solution: allow avatars to 'double virtually' slip into a guest avatar on the planet of their choice for a set period of time. They can look around, maybe even hunt etc, but not trade or keep any of the loots/resources.
After all, anything would be possible...
[As it is at the moment, by the way, avatars could be 'stolen' by another planet for 40 peds each if the other planet really wanted to go headhunting... so, who thinks they are worth 40 peds to a particular planet partner? Answer: almost any (edit: regular) depositor...]. Now that would be competition lol - 'please come back to us' instead of 'well, we can sell you your freedom - at a price!'.

Personally, I feel the idea of goods and trade needs to be worked into the new system too. Things such as the transport capacity of transport ships etc... - at the moment we can carry what we like and vehicles have the same speed (at least my valk did while I was carrying 2 tons of dung!)

Let's help make it a better universe out there ;)
(spacehub where pilots put in their route plans, prices and available places from which gate would be great, yes!)

Hangers and removal of planet tp fees....you can deal with them 2 ways.

1) Keep them the way they were, they can only fly within the calypso system. That means they can service CP and CND and undercut the teleporter fee to those places. But they cant go to the other planets(games, they could potentially go to other planets(worlds) of the calypso game). No on ever said they were interstellar starships. They are just shuttles.

2) Convert them to freighters, and let them earn a fee transporting goods not people. This could be used to solve the transport fee issue on auction. Players could do the transporting for a smaller fee.

Player movement should be 100% unrestricted. Keep peoples options open, keep them hooked on the platform. Equipment/goods should be restricted through fees. This fosters a local economy and opens up trade possibilities between planets, as well as freighter services.

You should be able to carry with you whatever you want, but the items should be locked to your avatar until you return to your departure planet. With the exception of you should be allowed to sell them to a TT. This means you can take whatever equipment you want to use, but you will not be able to drop/transfer the items to another player on another planet. To do that you need to pay a transport fee, or again higher a freighter. So while technically you move with items, they can not become a part of another planets economy without transport fees.

If people want to change their 'home planet' they will still need to pay transport fees to move all their stuff. Or at least to move anything they ever want to be able to sell. This keeps the goal of chaining players to one plant that they seem to want with the transport fee now....

My opinion is the platform as a whole stands a MUCH better chance of survival, and will likely hold a much higher retention rate if the movement of avatars(but not goods) is unrestricted.

What about providing each ava one round-trip "freebie" to the new planets (similar to what they did with the Gateway)? You get one free trip to check it out, then you have to pay if you want to go back.

I guess now that estates have no rent fees, the idea of "citizenship" is out as there would be no real reason to go back to your home planet to pay the fee monthly... which is a real good thing as more and more planets show up... but it still might be a neat idea to let the advanced tp chips do a "tp to home" that let you tp to your home planet for the same price it costs to use a tp to home as things are now with level III and up chips... might not do away with the fees, but would give folks a reason to own the advanced chips and to own an estate too. Should not hurt the hanger owners much as there are not that many level III and up chips out there I think.

Since ND sold CND to create Fomaville, I suspect those peds/cash from that went somewhere. May have gone in to upgrading the studio to push something out faster or to pay David or god only knows what.

Last edited:
No on ever said they were interstellar starships. They are just shuttles.

That is incorrect.

For example when discussing new planets in an interview with, I think, Dion Redstrike, Frank the MA rep said something like 'hangar owners are in for a lucrative future, for sure' (because of increased use of hangars when new planets are introduced.

Nice comments everyone - ty! :)
It's a virtual universe, so comparing the platform with a shopping high street (or shopping centre/department store under one roof) was to say there is basically no 'real' travel required - it is a construct. Charging ppl to go from one shop or section to another damages the attractiveness of the platform as a whole. There is the expression 'competitive symbiosis', in which competitors using a particular platform actually help to make the platform itself more competitive against other platforms. They can all benefit as a result.

Hi, Eu is rather special in the sense that every little change could have far reaching (mostly financial) consequences.

'I was like hunting for this jeans and I found it, put the money down and *poof* gone.... came home empty handed.'

'But this other time, I was only looking for some socks and *bang* took home the whole store. Had to call a m8 to come help me carry.'

Let's help make it a better universe out there ;)

Spoken as a true hatchling! No worries, time makes a good teacher. We've all been there. Read this.

Hi, Eu is rather special in the sense that every little change could have far reaching (mostly financial) consequences.

Originally Posted by jetsina:
"Let's help make it a better universe out there :)"

Spoken as a true hatchling! No worries, time makes a good teacher. We've all been there. Read this.

Every little change - like making sweat minable on another planet, you mean? :laugh:
I may be a forum hatchling, but I have seen my fair share of (unhatched) eggs and 'egg on face' in my time on Calypso... but then again maybe the introduction of weight-based transport fees is about to come in - and the find of IV sweat will be almost completely untransportable! Hmm, that would make ME have to be untransportable too, or no Nexus available on NI and one or the other must be transported to combine them.... or ppl must make thousands of crafted items with the sweat....
it's either the best hoax in a long time or one of the most major economy disasters ever for new players.

But I do like the ideas here of making avatar movement as free as possible, but with a cost attached to moving items across to other planets - moving home would probably cost more than 40 peds for settled players, but that would be ok in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back