Help: What site should I use to order my new PC?

lilac

Stalker
Society
Rapture of Rebellion
Dagny Lilac Lane
ok... so i'm a bit of a tech noob...

Previously, when I've bought computers, it's always been through Dell, but i'm aware that there are probably better deals out there...

I have about 800$ ish to spend, and i'm hoping for a machine that can very comfortably handle high settings...

has anyone noticed any particularly good deals out there?
are there any bad sites that I should avoid?

also... I'm thinking 512 mb memory on the graphics card, and 4 mb ram...
I'm assuming that most new processors will be able to handle the game...

is there anything else i should consider?

Commodore pc's are good

Personally I don`t by anything with the big names on them. They always make them so they can be low and appealing in price but as a result usually cut costs somewhere whether it be a tower with little to no room to add cards or upgrades or components that don`t perform as well as other products out there. I am more the put it together myself type but there are some systems out there that pack alot of punch into a nice package for a great price. Whether barebones kits or made to order, for $800 you should be able to get a great system capabale of running EU nicely. In the past I`ve dealt with TigerDirect.com alot. They`ve always met my expectations for price and service. I also price compare with places like Amazon or New Egg. Best thing to do is see what other advice comes up here, look at all your options and then decide what you`d like to do or get. Just make sure you get enough RAM, and good graphics card preferably with 512 or a whole gig of built in memory. You`ll want to make sure you have enough so you don`t fire it up only to lag or find you need to use lower settings than you`d like. Good luck!

hmm... yeah...

was looking at the specs on the 64...

WAAAY better than I have now ;)

My cell phone run circles round the old VIC64, even my first PC doesn't stand a chance :)

GL finding your PC. I'm of no help here, live in the wrong part of the world.

I bought a Nvidia 9800 with 1GB ram, works for me and wasn't expencive at all

www.newegg.com

Great selection, and some of the best prices I've found

Posted via Mobile Device

Personally I don`t by anything with the big names on them.
I am more the put it together myself type but there are some systems out there that pack alot of punch into a nice package for a great price. Whether barebones kits or made to order, for $800 you should be able to get a great system capabale of running EU nicely.

Dont know anything about the market in America but I say as Thorn, stay off the big names and try and get a kit if you or someone you know can pu it together(not that hard)
Or the place you get the parts from put it together for you too, at least very common here in Sweden.

pbbly build your own computer.

unless if yoou find a good pre-built computer, but i recommend building one

pbbly build your own computer.

unless if yoou find a good pre-built computer, but i recommend building one

what i'd like is a good site that offers customizable pcs like dell..i'm afraid i'd mess up on competely specifying all the tech specs( like not getting the right power supply), but i'd like to focus on what i need and not pay for what i don't need...

In the past I`ve dealt with TigerDirect.com alot.

www.newegg.com

Great selection, and some of the best prices I've found

Posted via Mobile Device

Go with NewEgg. TigerDirect is wayyyy too into the sales side of it, their markups are high. NewEgg, IMO, is much better and don't pad the price so much. Though, shop around, check the non-big name brands, etc. YMMV.

I got mine at Best Buy. Which is USA based? Which u are located isnt?

There was a awsome deal on a Gateway FX with I7+12gig ram+geforce gtx285

I tried to get the same spec on newegg.com but it didnt come fully built and such. Not that i couldnt do it... Ordering it piece by piece i ended up with same price as full built computer minus window7.

So the choice was easy for me > for same price as ordering online without assle of building it myself as well as a free copy of window7(which i had to add on top of the system if taken online)

Online not always the best option, especially when its down to having someone to yell at if something goes wrong(love buying at BB for that :laugh:), which mean aftermarket services...

I got a pretty decent deal on Costco online especially since we get cash back on our Amex. Only issue is you need to have a membership and they are limited on payment options.

I checked quite a number of sites when I purchased our PC still couldn't find a better deal than Costco unless I wanted to build one myself but I just wanted something ready to run out of the box.

Posted via Mobile Device

I got a pretty decent deal on Costco online especially since we get cash back on our Amex. Only issue is you need to have a membership and they are limited on payment options.

I checked quite a number of sites when I purchased our PC still couldn't find a better deal than Costco unless I wanted to build one myself but I just wanted something ready to run out of the box.

Posted via Mobile Device

Costco give cash back on amex? :eek: tell me more lol i want a(another) reason to shop at costco...

Costco give cash back on amex? :eek: tell me more lol i want a(another) reason to shop at costco...

At least it does through the Amex we have through them. Mostly on restaurants and gas but on purchases too. Costco.com should have more accurate info.

They don't always have the best deals but sometimes they come through and their customer service was awesome on getting my printer shipped to me.

Posted via Mobile Device

shipping sucks...

shipping sucks, and some online places don't let you do returns, or their return policy is crap. For instance, once I bought a CD player from Wolf Camera, only to have it play out the first day we had it... In order to return it, I would have had to pay almost half the price of the CD Player itself!... needless to say, we didn't return it, and just went to Wal-Mart and got a new one. People say lots of bad things about Wal-Mart, but they do have a policy that lets them take anyone's coupons - you just have to take the coupon in... and they will match it. Also, their return policy is better than anywhere else. Similarly, Sam's Club is pretty good. I have bought a few electronic things from Sam's Club and never been unsatisified. I think Sam's has a lot of policies that are almost identical to Wal-Mart's since the same company runs both of them. My experience tells me that shopping with box stores is best so that you have someone local you can hold accountable if things go sour... Of course, some rare electronic gizmos can only be found online, in those cases, online is your only option...

If you clear up some space in your pm inbox, I've got a long pm ready for you. lol

Edit: Make a post (either thru pm or this thread) if you've made some room so I know. Otherwise the last two hours I did looking up computers was for NAUGHT!

Last edited:
wow.. sorry my pm box was full... thanks everyone for your feedback...

You dont need 512 m ram you need 1G ram

Try pricewatch

http://www.pricewatch.com

This site used to be, hands down, the best tool for finding the cheapest part. However its not as reliable now as it once was, but it is still a useful tool for price comparisons on a particular part or type of part.

You dont need 512 m ram you need 1G ram

hmm... so is it that little of a price differnce?

http://www.pricewatch.com

This site used to be, hands down, the best tool for finding the cheapest part. However its not as reliable now as it once was, but it is still a useful tool for price comparisons on a particular part or type of part.

thanks

alot of ideas from the links at least...

hmm... so is it that little of a price differnce?

Absolutely don't buy a machine with only 512M. Start with 2G if you can, the cost difference is trivial. If it comes down to a difference of $30-$40 for memory, skimp on something else, you will be so glad to have more memory. Actually the more the better, there are probably Win 7 machines shipping with 4G for a reasonable cost.

Previously, when I've bought computers, it's always been through Dell, but i'm aware that there are probably better deals out there...

I'll never buy another PC from a shop xD
Not that i had any problems with it , been runing for 5 years with no problems and still working :))

Some shops make pretty much stupid configurations only based on high "number's" for attraction :p
If i were you , i'd studyed all this PC tech a bit a built one my own , which i have already done :))

Good luck :))

Absolutely don't buy a machine with only 512M. Start with 2G if you can, the cost difference is trivial. If it comes down to a difference of $30-$40 for memory, skimp on something else, you will be so glad to have more memory. Actually the more the better, there are probably Win 7 machines shipping with 4G for a reasonable cost.

thanks for the heads up:) Not that much of a noob:)

I'm talking about devoted graphics memory on the video card...

I was thinking 4G ram minimum for main memory...

would i notice that big of a difference (for the cost of the card) playing EU with 1 gig video card vs 512m assuming decent tech specs?

thanks for the heads up:) Not that much of a noob:)

I'm talking about devoted graphics memory on the video card...

I was thinking 4G ram minimum for main memory...

would i notice that big of a difference (for the cost of the card) playing EU with 1 gig video card vs 512m assuming decent tech specs?

Yes I think so. I have 512 mb ram, since last year, it worked perfect before cry, now it sucks.

Back