When i use the rocket launcher it doesn't do full damage.

mbcalburg

Provider
Society
GA
Marty Tweebo Marlindoooooooooooo
when i hunt with rockets it doesn't always do full damage, like it does less then the minimum damage, but it still does max damage occasionally.
especially when they are close up, and i'm not in pvp, and its a direct hit.

the one i use is maxxed no more sib....

can someone please explain?

I've noticed that I get closer to the max damage with rockets when I shoot at the base of the mob. I haven't used them for a while, but I can see a HUGE difference, on hogglo or large trox, for example. If you shoot them mid body, or upper body, you get about 1/4 to 1/2 your weapons max damage. BUT, if you aim at their feet, or between their feet, you get over 3/4 max damage about 90% of the time.

My personal observation. When I use support weapons, I always manually (don't use auto aim) shoot at the base of the mob.

hope this helps

It is possible that you are only doing one type of dmg with the launcher. I am fairly certain with launchers that dmg can be spread among the dmg types. So if the rocket is only hitting close to a mob and not close enough the mob is only taking shrapnel dmg. This would result in there being less dmg than the minimum dmg the launcher can do. Same principle when firing into a pile of mobs--they all take 1 dmg spread from the possible dmg the launcher could do.

I feel like i'm experiencing exactly what knight described. How come no one has ever made a guide or study or something about this? there's like nothing any where for people to know that. maybe i will lol

do you know if it has the same effect in pvp?

I feel like i'm experiencing exactly what knight described. How come no one has ever made a guide or study or something about this? there's like nothing any where for people to know that. maybe i will lol

do you know if it has the same effect in pvp?

So what I'm reading is that you agree with my observation, shooting at the base of the mob does the most damage. Good, it seems I'm not the only one that gets these results.

I'm sure it applys to pvp too. Dunno, you should try some tests :).

Glad you figured it out. GL dude.

Put the rocket in the other way :wise:

It's a game design flaw.

Reminds me of this...

Note: If you've never hunted with rocket launchers, this is not going to make any sense to you.

When hunting with a rocket launcher, one has the problem of having the need to not only place an accurate shot to hit the mob, but must hit the mob in a particular spot in order to use the full damage capacity of the rocket launcher.
Why?
My theory is that mobs have a "soft spot", a point on the mob where the rocket much impact to gain full damage potential. On bulky mobs suck as Hogglo, Daspletor, Formidon, Scipulor, Eomon, and many others, the soft spot can be difficult to locate - and since there is so much mass on the mob, typically the rocket explodes on the outer mass rather than on the soft spot - causing less damage potential due to the shrapnel effect instead of a direct hit.
In other words: Hitting a mob anywhere other than the "soft spot" is like hitting a tree next to the mob, and the mob only takes partial damage. Not all mobs have the same soft spots, sometimes it's somewhere in the middle of the mob, sometimes it's at their feet, sometimes on their back (which is very aggravating), and sometimes on the head - it varies from mob to mob.
Why does this matter?
Because if you're using a rocket launcher that can hit 100-200 damage/shot, and you're not hitting the "soft spot", you could be hitting mostly 25-50, or even 1s. This is aggravating, as it negates the rocket launchers from the spectrum of useful hunting tools for many (not all) mobs.

Proposal:
1. Eliminate the use of these "soft spots", and make the entire mob's mass be just one big "soft spot", so you can shoot it from head to toe and still have full damage capacity
2. Bring out a "universal soft spot", perhaps the head of all mobs, which will give the ability to have full damage capacity of rocket launchers.

Open to suggestions, feedback, criticism, etc. - just please keep it on topic.

Reminds me of this...

There are no "soft spots", by design. Perhaps you mean there are merely ways of getting closer to the center points of mobs. Which, of course, is unacceptable. Ma needs to fix it so there is full damage potential on the outer "shell" of mobs, not calculate distance from the center point.

There are no "soft spots", by design. Perhaps you mean there are merely ways of getting closer to the center points of mobs. Which, of course, is unacceptable. Ma needs to fix it so there is full damage potential on the outer "shell" of mobs, not calculate distance from the center point.

What you are calling a "center point" and what I am calling a "soft spot" is exactly the same thing. We're just using different names for it. It seems the "center point" of a mob varies - and is not always in the center of the mob, therefor I call it a "soft spot" for no reason other than to make it easy to understand. We've had this conversation before and I see no reason to repeat it.

What you are calling a "center point" and what I am calling a "soft spot" is exactly the same thing. We're just using different names for it. It seems the "center point" of a mob varies - and is not always in the center of the mob, therefor I call it a "soft spot" for no reason other than to make it easy to understand. We've had this conversation before and I see no reason to repeat it.

We're not talking about the same thing. I believe the center point of the mob is... in the center. The area of effect for max damage from a rocket launcher is very small (too small), and it seems obvious that ma designed the distance to be measured from the center of the mob, to calculate where the rocket landed in the damage radius. By maneuvering around, shooting at different areas, all you are doing is figuring out a way to get closer to the center point of the mob, overcoming the design flaw. This is why it's much easier to get higher damage on smaller mobs, in general.

To fix this, all ma has to do is either change the distance calculation to measure from the outer perimeter of the mob, or increase the area of effect for rocket launchers. The second option is probably easier, and the aoe needs to be increased anyway.

They also still need to fix the range, last time I checked.

My theory as to why shooting at the base of the mob generates higher dmg closer to the max of the weapon would be simple physics. If you take a firecracker and toss it in the air above your hand, you're going to get a nice brush of wind because the energy is expanding outward in all directions.
Take a similar firecracker and let it rest on your hand, you're going to get a nasty sting because a portion of that energy is meeting resistance, which is your hand.
Now put the firecracker between the ground and your hand.....OUCH! With little resistance, much more of the energy is being transported into your hand, doing much more "damage".

Now take a mob, for example. If your rocket exploded next to the mob, minimal dmg. Similar to tossing a firecracker in the air.
Now shoot it in the "body", or center mass, a little more damage, but not much because the energy still has room to travel. Similar to resting on your hand.
Now shoot at the base of the mob, now the energy has little where else to go, mostly transferred into the mob...more damage.

Just my personal thoughts. I don't know if this was MA's thinking, but it sure makes sense to me ;).

My theory as to why shooting at the base of the mob generates higher dmg closer to the max of the weapon would be simple physics. If you take a firecracker and toss it in the air above your hand, you're going to get a nice brush of wind because the energy is expanding outward in all directions.
Take a similar firecracker and let it rest on your hand, you're going to get a nasty sting because a portion of that energy is meeting resistance, which is your hand.
Now put the firecracker between the ground and your hand.....OUCH! With little resistance, much more of the energy is being transported into your hand, doing much more "damage".

Now take a mob, for example. If your rocket exploded next to the mob, minimal dmg. Similar to tossing a firecracker in the air.
Now shoot it in the "body", or center mass, a little more damage, but not much because the energy still has room to travel. Similar to resting on your hand.
Now shoot at the base of the mob, now the energy has little where else to go, mostly transferred into the mob...more damage.

Just my personal thoughts. I don't know if this was MA's thinking, but it sure makes sense to me ;).

Did... did you... did you just assume MA is using LOGIC in coding damage?! :eek:

:laugh:

Did... did you... did you just assume MA is using LOGIC in coding damage?! :eek:

:laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

VERY FUNNY! I actually worded it very similar to what you've just said, but thought it was a bit "mean". I highly doubt that it was intentional, so perhaps accidentally they created a rocket damage system that was logical. ;)

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

...VERY FUNNY! , so perhaps accidentally they created a rocket damage system that was logical.... ;)

:laugh: Laughed big time at that one.

Logical to hit directly hit something with an explosive projectile and still "miss"???:scratch2:

:D

You guyz are funny

Knight i think your right.... I did just notice that it seems to work good on mulisk, which could be because they ar so close to the ground...... i don't know. The other thing i saw, did you ever notice it seems to bounce sometimes? like off the mob (and of the ground)

It`s a game design flaw which will be fixed. A MA official was asked ingame and he replied that they knew about the hit boxes and fix will come after the MF update.

Atm there`s a bunch of mobs where launchers do full damage. Droka is one of them among others.

That is really good to hear! MF update? where do you get allthe good news? when is the next trip skillz coming? i hope soon (hint hint)

Back