When to buy a house

derek666

Provider
Matthius Matt Tazic
I have bid on a few places while they were below 50 peds...but unfortunately they outbid me and they went for like 400 ped...which is way out of my price range thus far...

I am getting low on storage room in my storage locker so that's why I figured I'd need a house...but is it really a good investment or should the storage unit be sufficient? I save alot of stuff because I plan on being a crafter soon and don't know what I'll need so I save anything that looks like it can be used for crafting.

I know that having a house in Ultima was a must...but I know this game is much different.

Any imput would be greatly appreciated!

Your storage can fit more then you think ;)

Just put something and the lowest square part and you will get more "space" where you can put your things and such.

As above.
Plus, you cant put that much in an Apartment compared to what you can fit into storage.
A true House will cost far more than the 400peds you mention.#
The real use for the houses/apartments is to "show off" what you have to anyone who cares to come inside and look about.

Buy a safe, no rent on a safe :)

soundboy

As above.
Plus, you cant put that much in an Apartment compared to what you can fit into storage.
A true House will cost far more than the 400peds you mention.#
The real use for the houses/apartments is to "show off" what you have to anyone who cares to come inside and look about.

1) True - house costs more
2) Partially true - some of us skill beauty in the appartment. Its a must ;)

I.

Wow..sounds like you have to continue to pay rent on a house...

Okay...I'll do without for now...I don't have money to throw away on rent hehe...And I don't care about displays...I just like a place to store my junk. Yes I learned about the bank scrolling...but it's limited to 150? I do have over 100 things in there hehe...

storage can contain 500 items ( 2000 animal hides counts as 1 item )

and u can always buy storage box (some boxes can hold more items then appartments )

a house ....

Yeah houses are just showoff´s .... and limited hold just like appart. (why i have 3 of them) :D

Basic Storage containers are great .... but if u really run out of space (youll see the red text when u open your storage) ..... maybe its time to start some crafting :)

storage can contain 500 items

Unfortunately while the interface may state storage can contain 500 items this is infact not true and you start getting items disappearing and warnings in chat at the 350 item point.

The only true reason to buy an house/apartment is to take your escapism to extremes :). You already got an alter ego, who doesn't need to eat, work and explain to wife why he spend last night not at home. And now he need a house, that he doesn't need to clean and pay for utilities :laugh:

Your gonna need alot more than 400 ped to buy a house more than $400 dollars even to buy a house, houses go for 7000ped on up to 10's of thousands of ped.
Apartments will be cheaper but you will pay that 10 ped per month rent (at least its not cumulative so you dont have to pay back rent if your away a while)
Ever since MA took the rest of em off auction or sold em off apartments have gone up in price.
When MA sold em you can get a small one for 250 ped and a large one for 450.
the price has gone up at least a couple of hundred ped or more for apartments, even a couple of thousand ped in one instance. These are just the ones on amethera. and apartment in space (on CND) will be MUCH more but they and shops are the only storage there.
Otherwise your gonna want to get a collection of storage devices. Like storage boxes, purses, a safe or a lykke chest.
The safe is the one that will hold the most items and most weight the small storage box holds the least.

In short your gonna need ALOT more money than what you say your willing to spend to get more storage. if you indeed have more than 300+ items in storage.
If you dont have that much in storage yet, just leapfrog some long items at the very bottom and once you made it big enough for you kep an item down ther as a palce holder and you will only need to scroll down instead of going through the leapfrog hassle.

Ah I see...so apartments require rent and houses are paid for and done. That's good to know also...

Yes...I can buy the boxes for more room...do I just put the box in the storage or do I carry it with me? Sorry I really know next to nothing about so much hehe...

Well someday...I will try to get a house...right now I'll just keep focusing on skills...Yes I want to craft my leather...but the thread is not only hard to find but costs a seroius fortune...so I'm shifting my crafting to oil and ingots for now to get blue print and engineering skill...that is once i win an ingot bid hehe...

Yes...I can buy the boxes for more room...do I just put the box in the storage or do I carry it with me? Sorry I really know next to nothing about so much hehe...

yes, both/all
you can put your full boxes in storage (it wil help reduce the spaces you have i storage) same for your avatar inventory but they dont take away the weight so if your too heavy you would still be too heavy.
There are some anti-gravity boxes that take weigth away but they are mainly for miners and they dont take THAt much weight away.

any box will take item points form inventory/storage/estate. and consilidate it to 1 inventory point.
for example you have 1 lightweight items and a small storage box you put those 10 items into the box and it will now take 1 space instead of 10.

The lykke chest and the mccormic safe can hold a couple of hundred inventory points worth of items and turn it into 1 inventory point.

for example if you have only 100 items ina given space and you get 100 small boxes (wich each can hold 10 items) you can now hold 1000 items in that 100 item space.

Nice topic :D

Always wondered what the advantage of houses were. Storage seems nice, but then again, not that many people have so much items that the inventory is full.... I mean to say that lots of items are TT food...

Another excellent use for houses and apartments is to set up an art gallery (or maybe a museum :)). EU has a lot of very good artists and many of them use their apartments to advertise and display their work; buyers then contact them ingame or through a forum like this to buy.

best suggestion for storage difficulty - start with storage boxes and chests even a safe or 2, and load those into your storage bin. if you are like me, you will eventually have too much even then.

save up for your house, and furnishings. (come and have a look at what i did *not just showing off* NE of ft.argus 15522 by 24073)

On eudora, houses have no monthly fees. all apartments WILL have monthly fees. not certain about house costs on amethera. (are there houses on amethera besides TI?)

where does one get boxes?

how do they get there? Crafters or by MA?

don't need to buy a house or an apartment :(
I bought one,and haven't used it yet.
You can buy boxes and put them on your storage.It also help you keep more items in your storage.

Don't need to pay too much money to only store items.
just buy it if you want to design a virtual house for your dream :cool:

Nicely put Svarog!

Couple of small points:

Apartments cost rent, yes. But if rental period elapses you don't lose anything but the ability to use the apt. Pay minimum rent later to regain full access.

Houses don't require rent to be paid, at least some don't.

My tip - put some storage boxes in your storage for any excess - also a useful marker between item types. Anal, I know - but it helps.

And my vote is for medium storage boxes - not too expensive and tricky to manipulate more items in the interface anyway.

Buying an apartment is like buying clothes. You don't need them, but you buy them anyway.

The only play you might want an apartment is CND as there are no storage facililties up there.

I ended up paying more for a lot of boxes than I would have spent on an apartment. Just my 2 cents

I bought an appartment on TI some time ago. Im hoping to sell it for a higher amount someday. Is that going to happen??

So if a house holds 250 items, I could buy 250 boxes, put a lot of stuff in the boxes...

Then if someone wants something... "I know it's in one of these."

Just like Real Life! :D

Back