why n00b?

Torschen

Stalker
Society
Fintropia Elite
Torschen Tors Kalevala
Why are newcomers called n00bs so regularly here? I always thought it is a derogatory term. In certain game forums I frequented even USING word noob, if it could be interpreted you meaning some person, would give you dreaded warning points. The politically correct word was 'newb', or 'newbie'.

Just that, I am so very surprised. Every day I hear on the streets of PE people blaming others and seemingly no one cares.

Comments.

PE is like the real world in many ways. Most people dont let silly words affect them. Actually I dress in orange so that people can mistake me for a n00b and cry later :p

PE is not like other games. Call someone what you want, jsut make sure you dont start something you cant finish. PVP griefers exist :D

Resepect others and you get respect back.

n00b, nerd and other words

n00b is simply a derivation of newbie and to me its not a bad word by itself.
The word "nerd" also is something some people is offended by, but a nerd is really only "someone with above normal interest for a topic".,.
I guess the words means no more harm than what you give them yourself.
Anyways, a n00b in PE is just that.. a newbie. I like to pose as a n00b, but its getting hard with everyone running around with scanners :/

noob is not really derogatory in PE.

You're either a noob or an uber...

And if you dont have 250 hp and a mod fap.... you're def not an uber.

It was just surprising to me.. I know I'm a n(whatever)bie in mmorpg but I've been used to vocabulary a bit different, and I used to to be a hardcore UT player (propably will soon again too, whatever). Just in those forums the policy was that. I was practically grown to understand words 'newb' and 'n00b' different way.. also ingame 'noob' or 'n00b' was a head on insult .. so thats why I am wondering (and actually makes me feel a bit bad).

Edit: to put it plain and simply: why you cannot you call newcomers 'newbies', or 'newcomers', or whatever? My ears are possibly broken, but I still think 'noob' is an insult.

Last edited:
Well,... usually beeing a newbie means just beeing new while beeing a noob is more like a state of mind.

However, in PE it's like The Mighty stated, basically almost all of us are noobs :dunce:

Woah, great, this fast forum.

I wasn't able to express it the way I liked (I cannot speak Englösh really), but after some 5 years of fps training I finally figured out:

Newb = newcomer
Noob, or N00b = annoying newcomer, or if not, a person that has been around a while (but not long for sure) and is still annoying

I definitely cannot force you all to change your vocabulary but somehow I just had to say this, dunno why. (no smiley)

Immigration

Welcome to immigration... this is a different game and the wording/rules might be unexpected.
The real value is what's behind the word and in PE, from whatever little my experience is, the word n00b is just that - a pretty neutral word meaning a person who has less than an average or definitely less than an experienced player skills.

When we immigrated to Canada 10 years ago, my wife had this huge guy, approaching her when she was studying English in a library with a question "where is the washroom?", she was not very fluent and pointed with a hand while dropping a pen. The guy picked it up and she automatically said "thank you" to which he replied after a pause and slowly, understanding her predicament: "You are welcome"...
She did not yet know the phrase, but knew individual words:
"You", "well", "come";
I had the whole evening calming her down from the stress as she thought the guy was asking her to come together into the washroom...

... just to depict the idea of understanding the same thing in a different way ...

in the year 2076 when the Robots made their first attempts at destruction of properties of both private and commercial, the term noob came into existence when Xanos a self-aware generation 10 Drone approached me and he said "Good Evening sir, i see you have a blaster rifle" I nodded and replied "my ak-47 field strip manual says not to point my gun at something i am not totally willing to destroy, good bye Xanos" but he drew first and shot, rendering me 37hp less than total, i opened fire with my faithfull companion tr5 and the bot entity was destroyed, but to this day i wonder if how he knew the word noob came out from.

Dear sir,
you scare me.

See ten years ago if someone had called me a geek I would have probably been hurt and cried (or hit them) now I feel exulted (not insulted when I am called a geek because to me its a sign that I have excelled in my chosen profession and to be called a nerd oh the day don't tease me!

As for n00b 'I like it, I think it has a certain ring to it' 'Although I think uber would suit me better' lol :D

As Fusion so rightly stated "Its a state of mind"

We are not in the school yard/playground now kids lets play like adults (Don't know why I wrote that but it stays lol):wise:

Vets are n00b

Hell, in PE even vets call eachother n00bs.. And its not meant as an insult either.. Kinda more like "whats up"..
Anyways.. point is.. n00b is a neutral word in PE, whereas in UT and similar games its often considered an insult. I think the main reason for this is that the average age of the players is in the higher 20s (25-30) in PE rather than 5-10 years lower as it is in many other games. The PE community is (mostly) a much more mature audience than many other gaming communities

Tigerman said:
Hell, in PE even vets call eachother n00bs..
Hehe, that happens in UT too.. a guy who ubers doing a wall dodge jump and hits a mid-air lightning gun headshot is a lightningn00b :)

K k, I just have to adjust. Difficult as it may be but I will try.

Noob is turned out to be used instead of newbie and other words for "fresh" players around online games. Noob is a fun word, because it isn't always offensive (exept for when you've been playing for 3 years and is called one :D ) and its easy and quick to write in chat.

Noob Aveena :laugh:

Torschen said:
Why are newcomers called n00bs so regularly here? I always thought it is a derogatory term. In certain game forums I frequented even USING word noob, if it could be interpreted you meaning some person, would give you dreaded warning points. The politically correct word was 'newb', or 'newbie'.

Just that, I am so very surprised. Every day I hear on the streets of PE people blaming others and seemingly no one cares.

Comments.
As others said the term 'n00b' isn't that derogatory in PE. However, I personally use the following rules when addressing ppl:

1) I can refer to myself as a 'n00b'
2) I can refer to new players in general as 'n00bs'
3) I wouldn't refer to a person I'm talking to as a 'n00b' (e.g. 'Are you talking to me n00b?' ;) ) unless I know the person well and it's clearly understood as a joke.

If you do the same, I'm sure you won't have any problems :girl:

P.S. It's not really that specific to PE, but to the world in general: using nouns when addressing people (especially with guns) always needs extra care :cool:

I think PE is a strange game, cos everyone is more or less a n00b in here...

Be it in modesty or in awe in front of all über über worriors... :rolleyes: So calling oneself a n00b is more or less one way of excusing a question in this forum ... :D

Whatever, it's deff not a negative meaning ;)

They are only an insult if you are not a newbie or if you are but think your not:wise:

And Slip lay off the Robots for awhile the fouls pose a bigger threat mate

lots of ppl hear the word n00b and assume thats what newcomers are called, the main thing here is that it is not used in PE in an insulting way I do "n00b TP" runs and by no way mean anything nasty by it.

In another online game I play - noob or n00b - is certainly derogatory and is coming to be used as a general epithet hurled at anyone - like kids calling names at you in the street.

Glad to see it has a kinder connotation here :)

Torschen said:
Dear sir,
you scare me.

if that scares you... then u dont want to see how much the rest of the ppl on this forum and in PE will scare u :wise:

j/k

Cs?

Muirar said:
In another online game I play - noob or n00b - is certainly derogatory and is coming to be used as a general epithet hurled at anyone - like kids calling names at you in the street.

Glad to see it has a kinder connotation here :)
Are you referring to CS? lol...
as i said, the general population in PE is way older than in most other games and isnt that "touchy" either..
When it comes to games like CS it annoy the hell outta me that people have to run around bitch and complain and calling people noobs everytime they get killled themselves.. Not the words they use that offend me, but the endless bitching and whining..
I cant handle much w(h)ine, i get sick...

couple of friends at my school play WoW. i have seen some forum posts there....man, am i glad its different here....them forums over there are just....childish

take for example this chat:

these folks know eachoter pretty well, and dont find it offending. nor do the people that are standing around.

but an complete newcomer getting this in his face would go like O.O wtf is going on?

So how we sort the players?
1. by HP lvl?
hp lvl is weak = noob
medium = veteran (vet)
tough = über
2. by played time?
0-1 year = noob
1-2 year = vet
2-... year = über
3. by time and hp lvl?

4. by some diffrent way?

I played a year and i consider myself still noob. And word noob i use because
im not newcomer anymore and i cant consider myslf as veteran too.
Newcomer as newb is player who still learn the game basics, it can take 1week or 1month.
Low lvl and midlvl players i consider as noobs, because they are not newcomers anymore, but they are not vets too and i dont know how to name them by diffrent name.
Higher midlvl players or players who played long time but their skills not very high i consider as veterans (vets).
And über is über :)

This is my vision and u dont have to be agree with me.

I compare it by how good i am compared to the best players.

2 years as a calypsian and thousands and thousands of peds spent, still n00b and goin strong :kos:

ps. i call new ppl as a newcomers

o_O im very suppriced how many people who get this wrong noob is not newbie its short for None Of Our Buisness NOOB

first i encountered in the old MUD´s and didnt really start out as a degeneratory term but more as a term for filtering people when it got to crowded

Well i sure dont take any offence to the nOOb title because i think of it a way of pointing out who needs the help (ME) and all other titles not needing as much help. :)

"Classifications"

I might have a very different way of looking at things than others, but here goes..
annoyong n00b(aka beggar) - Dont think we need to explain that one
n00b - anyone not "known". Generally new people that is still learning how to play the game
vet/veteran - Old player, generally from the period BEFORE project entropia went gold (BETA/CoT)
über - This is where i probably differ from many others. I do NOT consider skills or equipment to make someone über. Your attitude and reputation in the game is what does. If you think youre über, youre not. Anyone with a load of money to deposit can buy skills and equipment and therefore these things is NOT in any way related to accomplishment. Deathifier i would consider an über as he has accomplished something by getting his investment back, aka breaking even.

When it come to the origin of the word n00b there is a million different explanations out there, and i will not start going into details about it.

Tigerman said:
I might have a very different way of looking at things than others, but here goes..
annoyong n00b(aka beggar) - Dont think we need to explain that one
n00b - anyone not "known". Generally new people that is still learning how to play the game
vet/veteran - Old player, generally from the period BEFORE project entropia went gold (BETA/CoT)
über - This is where i probably differ from many others. I do NOT consider skills or equipment to make someone über. Your attitude and reputation in the game is what does. If you think youre über, youre not. Anyone with a load of money to deposit can buy skills and equipment and therefore these things is NOT in any way related to accomplishment. Deathifier i would consider an über as he has accomplished something by getting his investment back, aka breaking even.

When it come to the origin of the word n00b there is a million different explanations out there, and i will not start going into details about it.

yes that sounds like a good way of putting it

Back