Words from Marco Behrmann Director of Community Relations

Oh my god.... THE LAGG!

I can see the future... and we wont be able to play for weeks after this VU cause of all the lagg and wierdo grafic buggs :eek:

Version Update 9.0 will see the next step in the ongoing process to make the Entropia Universe the best looking virtual experience around. A process that has taken almost a year to prepare will now take a giant next step forward. Avatars, as well as their worn equipment and clothes will be upgraded. This major upgrade will include brand new techniques, models, textures, and more. It will also allow all existing avatars the chance to recreate their avatar. More info and preview screenshots will be released soon.

Wow :clap: that is something I am definitely looking forward to.

I'll better get a second GPU for my SLI motherboard though :laugh:

EFBanner_154680.jpg

Although it's still some time away from final specifications are set, this is what I have been told (as of July 19th), and it should not be taken as "final proof or facts that will stand the test of time".

- No Windows Vista Required. (100% Certainty)

- Avatars will probably not keep their "old" look as the starting point, or template, when recreation of the avatar looks is presented. We are looking at the possibility to keep the old look as a template though, but whether this will become a reality or not I cannot really say today. We understand that it is very much desired and takes it seriously.

- I am told that the upgrades to the graphics engine we have will mean a lot of older technical components will be removed, thus actually increasing performance somewhat in some areas and tax it more in others. But performance is a subjective thing and I don't know today how VU 9.0 will behave on every combination of systems, videocards, connections, etc. MA has no goal to make Entropia more difficult to enjoy though, thus increasing SysReq's is not an agenda we really push. ,-)

good to hear:) thx for the info marco

u mention vista is not required, is it optional tho? i guess i just wanna check that MA will be supporting eu on vista too

Although it's still some time away from final specifications are set, this is what I have been told (as of July 19th), and it should not be taken as "final proof or facts that will stand the test of time".

- Avatars will probably not keep their "old" look as the starting point, or template, when recreation of the avatar looks is presented. We are looking at the possibility to keep the old look as a template though, but whether this will become a reality or not I cannot really say today. We understand that it is very much desired and takes it seriously.

- I am told that the upgrades to the graphics engine we have will mean a lot of older technical components will be removed, thus actually increasing performance somewhat in some areas and tax it more in others. But performance is a subjective thing and I don't know today how VU 9.0 will behave on every combination of systems, videocards, connections, etc. MA has no goal to make Entropia more difficult to enjoy though, thus increasing SysReq's is not an agenda we really push. ,-)

Hope you dont mind Marco but I'm quoting you for posterity on that Vista bit.

Thanks for setting my mind at ease. I have no wish to "downgrade" my OS. ;)

Wow i cant wait for this VU, sounds amazin... :D

What is the name of the new graphicsengine? Is it the new gamebryo (same as oblivion) or is it a totally different engine?

Bring it on, Marco!

Bring it on, Marco! :yay:

To be honest, you folks over at MA are doing a good work with the last few VUs, and it's got to be told that, even after all the bitching and whining (kept low, ofc! ;P) we appreciate it!

Entropia Universe has a long-time-due graphic update waiting for it, so the first group of question is: are you moving from GameBryo to another engine? If yes, which? If not, are you implementing the latest GameBryo Elements engine? Aren't you going to simply change the NDL logo with the EGT logo, are you?!

You only wrote about the graphic engine... What about the server/network engine/code? (whatever you call it, you know what I mean!)

Oh, and when's the next ModFap dropping?! :rolleyes:

Paolo :smoke:

No Windows Vista requirement, but will the client be compatible with Window Vista for those that are actually past the mid point of Microsofts product roadmap?

AG

What is the name of the new graphicsengine? Is it the new gamebryo (same as oblivion) or is it a totally different engine?

No, it is an upgrade to the existing engine. It is not a complete engine for the entire Entropia. This one is following the process we have been pursuing for the last year or so, and VU9.0 main focus area is the avatar and clothes/armor worn.

Exchanging the entire graphics engine in Entropia is a longer project, but as we expect Entropia to be around for decades to come, we will go through several minor and major graphics updates in the future.

Will mac ever be supported by entropia? I have a friend that only has a mac and I would really like him to try entropia.

Oh hell yeah! I really want to make my avatar taller, he looks rubbish :p

I doubt this will be possible but can you confirm whether or you'll be able to change sex, as many will switch to F due to armour costs etc

Will mac ever be supported by entropia? I have a friend that only has a mac and I would really like him to try entropia.

The current engine doesn't support Mac at all, but you can direct your friend to threads like this one to help him out running EU from a Mac.

So, unless MA decides to eventually change engine, there's no chance Mac will be officially supported in the short-mid term...

I'd be glad if Marco could say otherwise, tho! :rolleyes:

P. :smoke:

I already showed my friend that thread and he said no go his isn't macbook. And ok so mac support is game engine dependant? i guess I can ask that question next time they say game engine is changed... thanks :)

I doubt this will be possible but can you confirm whether or you'll be able to change sex,

I doubt it also, and exactly this...

CAC said:
as many will switch to F due to armour costs etc

..could be a major reason not to.

Long ago we were given the opportunity to change name of avatar, as many had used their RL name as first/last name, when creating the avatar it just said to fill in first/nick/last, so many ppl, especially those who havnt tried a mmorpg before, wrote their real life names as the page didnt mention anything about it being your ingame avatars full name.
Yes, I did it too :silly2: first time mmorpg'er that just wanted to fill in the correct information, not knowing it was the avatar name and not your own RL one.

Dunno if MA have changed it since, I still see alot of avatars using their real life name, maybe if MA expressively tell ppl that it's their avatar name and not to use their RL one, unless they want to ofcourse, but as it has been almost 5 years since i created my avatar it may have been changed already by MA, because as it was before could easily be misunderstood.

I wanted to use my real name for it. So I'm fine it it lol.

These news sound great.
As long as DirectX-10 will not become minimum requirement all is well.

:D

I doubt it also, and exactly this...

..could be a major reason not to.

Long ago we were given the opportunity to change name of avatar, as many had used their RL name as first/last name, when creating the avatar it just said to fill in first/nick/last, so many ppl, especially those who havnt tried a mmorpg before, wrote their real life names as the page didnt mention anything about it being your ingame avatars full name.
Yes, I did it too :silly2: first time mmorpg'er that just wanted to fill in the correct information, not knowing it was the avatar name and not your own RL one.

Dunno if MA have changed it since, I still see alot of avatars using their real life name, maybe if MA expressively tell ppl that it's their avatar name and not to use their RL one, unless they want to ofcourse, but as it has been almost 5 years since i created my avatar it may have been changed already by MA, because as it was before could easily be misunderstood.

Told a few in game friends that it is still possible following this case earlier in the year:

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57385

Presume MA still allow real name avatars to be changed.

MA has no goal to make Entropia more difficult to enjoy though, thus increasing SysReq's is not an agenda we really push. ,-)

Excuse me? Ok perhaps not "more difficult to enjoy" if you mean the actual experience of getting and staying online (SysReq's). But you know as well as I do that everything you do ingame has become harder over the last few years and the new(er) "players" are constantly struggeling against harder odds then those who joined yesterday. (Ahem, speed changes avatars/mobs, inability to move as a ghost, no evade, medical or HP-gaining skills, less start out HP by lower attributes etc, etc.) ;)

I doubt this will be possible but can you confirm whether or you'll be able to change sex, as many will switch to F due to armour costs etc

We weren't allowed to last time around, so I don't think so this time either.

I didn't. (And I think it did say you shouldn't write your IRL name, just that no one actually read the naming rules - and still no one does). :wtg:

Exchanging the entire graphics engine in Entropia is a longer project, but as we expect Entropia to be around for decades to come, we will go through several minor and major graphics updates in the future.

it's great to see this type of communication.

as it's often the way here on ef, a few things here or there occur, and the sky is falling. eomons and an impending vu, and the player base that so trash talks the company that provides the product spin on a dime and cheer for it's success.

i believe that entropia will be around for decades to come as well. it's nice to the see the company making some efforts to ensure it's continued success for years to come. as a player, that makes me very happy to see. please continue along that path, if at all possible, and entropia will easily rise to the top of the mmropg world.

Great news indeed! :yay: The graphics updates a few months ago, such as the HUD, were sweet so I can't wait to see what the engine update gives us. Also, thanx Marco for replying to questions raised in this thread and giving us more information.

Originally Posted by Konve
...and Marco just made sure the beauty professionals are out of work for a few.. months (?). :laugh:

I am curious, will we only be able to redo the actual avatar physics, or will we also be able to redo, for example, the hair cut and so on?

Maybe the beauty professionals will be given special options not available in the general remake of your avatar. Things like special haircuts or body options. Maybe a "mom" tattoo on the arm or something like that. This may be a boon for the beauty professionals, depending on options they're given that you don't have access to during the remake process.

It would be nice to actually see some actions rather than words.

More warm fuzzy words just allow people to spin out their fantasy of what it could mean and go away feeling - well warm and fuzzy :)

I just discount everything from MA now.

It would be nice to actually see some actions rather than words.

More warm fuzzy words just allow people to spin out their fantasy of what it could mean and go away feeling - well warm and fuzzy :)

I just discount everything from MA now.

I actually like "warm and fuzzy" as opposed to cold and bitter. :)

Maybe someone can answer... the last time there was a one-chance avatar appearance opportunity, was it possible to change gender?

I actually like "warm and fuzzy" as opposed to cold and bitter. :)

Im sorry Jack but i need to point out a small correction;
according to my 6 year old the exact opposite of warm and fuzzy is "cold and prickly":) there was a policy memo on it a month ago but I cant seem to find it.
although on second thought bitter may be more descriptive.

I would like to hear more about the Grafix engine as well as the avatar editing process.
Im not sure but can anyone tell me if EU is now directx9? I read somewhere that there was also physics upgrade. I'm just wondering what grafix engine will be used in order to get a look at another game that uses it or an example of its capabilities.

Just to play devils advocate....

While adding new features, content and graphics sounds great, and looks even better on paper, I would personally think that fixing the current problems would be a priority before adding to them, (as we all know, new features and content mean new details to work out).

Just a thought...

Just to play devils advocate....

While adding new features, content and graphics sounds great, and looks even better on paper, I would personally think that fixing the current problems would be a priority before adding to them, (as we all know, new features and content mean new details to work out).

Just a thought...

A thought many has. But hopefully some issues might be solved now? :)

So, will this mean new coloringsystem is on the way too, after cloths and

Back