Question: Your avatar and their 'Hit Box'

Jaas

Prowler
Society
The Prophecy
Zanzibar Zani Jones
Most games prgrammed, make your avatar along with MOBs have a hit box, or area around them that is susceptible to being hit and shown as a hit. That box is a certain size I am sure of that.

But if I put on Wings, which physically makes my ava now wider, does my hit box size increase? Does it affect evade skills due to the new width? Or do you think the wings are just for show, and have nothing to do with your 'Hit Box'

Just curious....

nah I'm pretty sure wings don't effect your hitbox :)

but I could be wrong? =)

Go into pvp and find out :D

dont think so, but find a friend and test it inthe ring :)

Well I have been thinking about this more, and wonder then does your height and girth effect it too? Because we can make our avas taller or shorter, fatter and thinner.....
Hmmm... Testing time I guess..... but who's gonna wanna find out? ;)

This has sparked my curiosity as i have just purchased some angel wings, i'll be watching :D

The other reason I asked is because in another thread people were asking do you use auto aim or aim yourself for better accuracy.

I guess then in PVP it would be safe to assume that people use the manual aim as well.... hence a bigger target equals, faster death ;)

my hitbox is huge in size. But Xzion is huge aswell, with wings, its impossible not to hit me. ;)

I don't think the size of your avatar or what it is wearing makes any difference to the "hit box", at least not for mobs. PvP I am blissfully unaware of ;)

The hitbox seems to be the square of the longest measurement. Take a look at Ambulimax and Formidon. You can see the height of the hitbox is the same as the length (the square) even though these mobs are clearly longer than they are tall.

The size of an avatar does affect the size of the hitbox... BUT :wise: again take notice of how you hit mobs. For some mobs I do not shoot within the hitbox... if I aim slightly outside I never miss (try it... you might be surprised). I am sure this applies to avatars as well.

I never never autoaim.. I aim myself (for the above reasons).

typically...

Typically in games, most game engines do use a square more or less.. or some use a series of circles.... I think EU uses a square currently, but CE2 might go to circles?... where you have like one circle for your arm, one for leg, one for main body, etc... It's all about clipping and comparing your location to your opponents, etc. Yes, size does seem to match biggest location, so in theory, wings do add to your size, but I'm not 100% sure on that since I never got wings as I don't own an estate. I do have horns but those are smaller than the beret I usually wear, so doesn't matter really much. Wings on the other hand are pretty darn big. I guess if the wings do cause you to be blocked when walking in a doorway that you could walk in without the wings, they do matter and add to your size.

Interestingly, I see that some folks that do pvp a lot have very small avatars... I think there's a reason for that that they thought of when they first started. Gives a new definition to the phrase "munchkin"

So if that is the case, if I were to lie down in a PVP zone, would it be harder to hit me? Does my Hit Box then decrease in size or move in location when I am sitting or laying down? Or does it always stay above ground?

... I think EU uses a square currently, but CE2 might go to circles?... where you have like one circle for your arm, one for leg, one for main body, etc...

A very loud HMMMM... could this be why MA had to introduce footguards...? But since they did not want to reveal too much information to their competitors, they passed of some dumbass reason for it...? :scratch2: In any event, it would explain the need for several armor pieces instead of just one, ya know?

So if that is the case, if I were to lie down in a PVP zone, would it be harder to hit me? Does my Hit Box then decrease in size or move in location when I am sitting or laying down? Or does it always stay above ground?

Best solution = try it :thumbup: I am interested to know.

Many people think that a smaller avatar has an advantage in pvp, but I don't know that this has ever been proven. I believe this is why Mercury's avatar is about 1 meter tall.

A very loud HMMMM... could this be why MA had to introduce footguards...? But since they did not want to reveal too much information to their competitors, they passed of some dumbass reason for it...? :scratch2: In any event, it would explain the need for several armor pieces instead of just one, ya know?

Best solution = try it :thumbup: I am interested to know.

I don't PvP but during last LG, I managed to go very closed to some big Socs, and I can say that being lie was much harder for the killers to hit me. Sometime they had to come just above me.

Smaller avas have at least one advantage, they are harder to see in dense or uneven surroundings..and I'm pretty sure that if you (or a mob) shows more above the undulations in the terrain they are easier to hit, if you can only see a small percentage of a target it is ammo into the ground quite often.

Makes me wonder how much needs to be showing to actually be able to hit a target at all? Interesting thread.

t

If you hunt in team and there area few with wings, your view is blocked and you also miss shots when you shoot at the mob but a wing is blocking the sight, I do not know if you also would hit the person if you shoot the wing.

What I say:

Get lost with the wings, they make you look noob anyway.

As Rayne Jade said (kinda), auto-aim and you won't see the little things...

I love fixing the marber on the one or two pixels of mob behind a hill and tagging it to me... I've also had many many hits when I haven't been pointing at the actual mobs I'm hunting, just near them... jumping creatures such as Ituma can be hit by keeping the gun straight, even if they jump higher than you're aiming.... it all points to a box, yes; a big one one some mobs (although tsks and igni etc must have tiny ones as they are quite easy to miss). I remember folk talking of "sweet spots" when I first started playing, and it didn't take much research in the field to find out that it really makes no difference where you hit the mob, or even if you "hit it" at all lol. Avatars seems to have less of a box, but it's hard to judge as their individual evade etc can also affect whether you hit them or not.

Saying that, your question about the wings... hmm... try seeing by side-stepping past a wall or other impassable object and see if the wings catch it, i.e. are solid... the only other thing I can think of is a few ring-based tests (I'd pick Billy's on a quiet day lol) with mates shooting your wings off (a la Dogma) to see it kills you:)

Hurrikane

Me think a small Avatar can use the ground level to hid but he also have to show himself to not fire in the ground.

Maybe on flat ground the small is harder to hit than the big one.

...I remember folk talking of "sweet spots" when I first started playing, and it didn't take much research in the field to find out that it really makes no difference where you hit the mob, or even if you "hit it" at all lol...

I firmly believe in the "sweet spot". It varies from mob to mob, but there are (for me anyway) places I aim at and never miss. I would even venture to say that 2 mobs I regularly hunt had there "sweet spots" adjusted in the last VU. It does not take long to find it again however.

I have found that the "sweet spot" seems to be in da nutz.
Ok, this comes from allos and estos, who seem to want to stand over me, so I got no where else to shoot em, the tea-bagging assholes.
But it seems that many mobs give steady hits when you shoot em in the jewel vault. And I critted a furor from behind, and it actually looked like he had an anus, and it got real tight after that.
OK, this has gone far enough.

I firmly believe in the "sweet spot". It varies from mob to mob, but there are (for me anyway) places I aim at and never miss. I would even venture to say that 2 mobs I regularly hunt had there "sweet spots" adjusted in the last VU. It does not take long to find it again however.

Damn, an opposing view from someone who's opinion I respect.... ok, I'll research anew:)

Hurrikane

Prior to VU 10.0 most people were really small, like midget size.

Is it because their hitbox is smaller than let's say a guy who looks like a 2.5m Hulk?

I figured it was because of PvP so people could not hit you as good as other, bigger ppl.

Back