Should there be memorials in game for people NOT playing EU???

Should there be memorials for family members NOT playing EU?

• YES

Votes: 42 20.1%
  • NO

Votes: 167 79.9%

• Total voters

True Juan

Marauder
Society
Cz-Sk Crows
True TJ Juan
I know I will get a few -REPs for this thread, but probably also some +reps. I dont really care but I have this question and I just want straight answers YES - NO. And if you answer YES - I want a reason. I know a reason why NOT but dont know a reason for the other.

Most of you guys know WHY I'm asking this...(there was one thread about a memorial)

Now I also have a question - see my situation:

I had a grandfather - he fought in WWII and died. He fought for the freedom of our country. I never got to see him, never got to know him but he is my family and fell fighting for our better future. Does he deserve a memorial in game?

What do you think? I want a normal discussion and a YES/NO answer to the poll and reasons under the thread WHY/WHY NOT.

Thank you
TJ:bandit:

EDIT:

BTW
English is not my mother tongue so some sentences and/or my thoughts might be different from what I really ment. I do apolagize for this. (should have attended english class more often)

If you post, pls read at least a bit so you know what has been discussed. Definitely read Wistrels posts.
Thanks

Last edited:
I think memorials in Entropia should be just that... for those who played Entropia and had some sort of effect on the community and the e-world we live in.
Plain and simple.

Your grandpa didn't play .. didn't contribute to this virtual world .. and he would have no idea what an "EU memorial" was, even if you told him about it anyway .. so what's the point of having a memorial for someone who has nothing to do with this universe ?

Oh right .. there isn't one ;)

Voted "no", although I find the "playing" a bit restricting.
If somebody dies he can not play.
I think there should be memorials for members that passed away or for real close family members , which could have become members at least (like children and not people who died 70 years ago).

I voted 'No' because the alternative is slightly nuts. If we have memorials to all those who have died, whom we loved dearly but who were unknown within the EU community for never having been a part of it, we would have memorials all over the place, Mindark would be tasked with producing all those memorials and the EU would become a rather morbid place.

Just my :twocents:-worth.

Yes. I think there's room for everyone and (almost) everything. If we have it in the first place, for Entropians, then I can't see why it should be restricted. We're building a world here, not just a mainstream game. ;)

No in the general case.

Yes in the case you were thinking of when you felt the need for this silly poll :rolleyes:

I voted no and here's why. The way I see it, EU is it's own world. That's the point. How can you have a memorial ingame to someone or something that has never been known ingame. It's illogical.

I know why you are asking, and I don't agree with your motives...

It is up to MA to decide who should get a memorial or not. It does not affect my gamplay in any case. I think if you want a memorial, ask MA. If they say yes well good for you.

Cheers :beerchug:

you wanted a straight answer, here it is:
- memorials for players :Yes
- memorials for non-players :No

and i dont think your gonna get any -rep, its just a question.

I voted yes, but with a caveat. I think that MA should provide memorials (for free) to people who played the game and died or there close family. Perhaps on memorial island someplace like that.
However, I do think that there could be an option to purchase a memorial for anyone, for either your in-game residence or perhaps a future in-game cemetery. It would be a good way for MA to earn some easy income while having a great deal of meaning for those who play the game.
I think that it would further reinforce the point that this is a virtual universe and not a game.

Just my two cents :)

Voted NO because i see no reason why there should be memorials in this virtual world for non virtual persons.
But its up to MA to decide this , but this can go very "pervers" (hope this is the correct word) because this is the decision who is worth to have a memorial and who not :wise: Cannot imagine that those decision will produce a good feeling for themself and for the community.

wtf is wrong with you ppl ?!?!?:mad: We all know the other thread.And its not the same thing!

i think having memorials at all in a virtual world is odd, im not sure if i think its good or bad or indifferent, but the precedent has been set there. to venture further with virtual memorials for those who have nothing to do with EU is a little bizzare. Though maybe there could be a memorial planet for the purpose?

i voted no. and i know the case this is based on. i just don't agree with the public grieving. and trying to make others guilty for having an opinion.

I voted yes, but

..i strongly believe such a thing should be placed on private land area.
What one can consider as bravery and heroism, another one can consider very oposite. Players are across the world, so... such a public places (if provided by MA) could spark some tensions, which aren't good for gameplay in my opinion.

I guess partialy it's possible already via uploading players content such as images, videos, sounds. Maybe some statues...etc would be nice too, in order to provide even more suport to players who would like dedicate part of their place to someone or something important for them.

Just my two pecs.

p.s. my great grandpa died in ww2 too.

Last edited:
wtf is wrong with you ppl ?!?!?:mad: We all know the other thread.And its not the same thing!

wtf is wrong with YOU ?
I don't know that thread, tyvm.

This is a thread all on it's own .. so take it for what it is, and move on.

(Or at least link us to this other thread so we know what you're talking about and don't look like a complete tard)

Ok .. I know what you're talking about now.

This thread.

Honestly .. I'm sad for his loss, and I am happy for him getting what he wanted for his daughter to be memorialized.
But .. on the same note, I don't think it belongs anywhere in EU.
The child should be remembered in real life, treasure the memories there, and grieve THERE.
Not in EU.

But it's not my universe, it's MA's.

Memorials

Voted 'Yes'. Calypso is supposed to be an extension of an Earth-based society. Thus all avas are essentially earthly humans that have migrated to Calypso. There is absolutely no reason that a transplanted Earthling such as True Juan shouldnt be able to build a memorial to his grandfather who had nothing to do with this virtual metaverse, but in fighting in an Earthly war that supported freedom values and protected countries that are now some of the biggest space exploration experts, and would likely be the most involved in colonizing a planet such as Calypso in RL, then memorializing him in this new world would not seem out of bounds to me. Now, down to the nitty gritty. I think Calypso should charge a fee for this memorial, maybe a road in PA or park area with pavers you could have engraved any way you want for a 'fee'. A certain part of that fee similar to their other loot rules would then be returned to the loot pool for all. Everyone is happy. I think it is a great idea TJ!

The Brick

Voted 'Yes'. Calypso is supposed to be an extension of an Earth-based society. Thus all avas are essentially earthly humans that have migrated to Calypso. There is absolutely no reason that a transplanted Earthling such as True Juan shouldnt be able to build a memorial to his grandfather who had nothing to do with this virtual metaverse, but in fighting in an Earthly war that supported freedom values and protected countries that are now some of the biggest space exploration experts, and would likely be the most involved in colonizing a planet such as Calypso in RL, then memorializing him in this new world would not seem out of bounds to me. Now, down to the nitty gritty. I think Calypso should charge a fee for this memorial, maybe a road in PA or park area with pavers you could have engraved any way you want for a 'fee'. A certain part of that fee similar to their other loot rules would then be returned to the loot pool for all. Everyone is happy. I think it is a great idea TJ!

The Brick

:rolleyes:

Whatever you said .. I can't be bothered to read into this sci-fi babble.

It's a virtual universe .. why should someone who had absolutely nothing to do with it, be forever remembered on an island in the universe?

I understand the loss .. but we all deal with loss every day.
It doesn't bring the dead person back or hurt any less because you have a couple of pixels that have their name on it.

Remember the people IN THE REAL WORLD.
Go pay a visit to their memorial in REAL LIFE.

As said in the thread that I linked .. if everyone got a memorial for everyone they EVER KNEW inside EU .. it would be mighty clogged with tributes to people that had no effect on our virtual world.

Yes but I don't think it's ever something that should be taken for granted. People tackle losses in different ways, we have "Memorial Island" as it is - should Island Girl's memorial remain the only one ever there?

While I can not even begin to comprehend his loss, being a friend of the person involved I can relate to how much this game and his family means to him. If he sees an in-game memorial for his daughter as a fitting tribute is that not what counts? What does it matter if Johnny Average doesn't agree with it? If a husband and wife have suffered such a tragic loss and have such a strong link to the game & it's community why shouldn't they ask for a memorial to be erected in a place where the people close to them can pay their respects or honour them?

You hear of people wanting their ashes scattered at football/sports grounds, does the population object to that even though that person may never have played for the team?

As I see it the only "problem" is that making a new object in game takes Mindark's time, time that could arguably be put to better use for the community - on that logic perhaps future memorials would necessitate a donation, or even a fixed amount so that the more cold-hearted among us had less to complain about.

This is a good debate but I would like to see some more pro arguments with (as requested by the thread starter) actual explanations as to why.

I'll probably be branded a cold hearted bitch but, although I didn't get a chance to vote, I think I am against non-Entropians being offficially commemorated in PE...

Or at least I thought I was... now I come to re think it... I never knew Island Girl (she was a little before my time) but I know ND and know that it means a lot to him and, from what I read, her too probably. Therefor the island girl memorial isn't just about what Tina wanted but its there cause it means something to ND and those who knew her and to those who know him by proxy.

I can't help feeling it seems wrong though to effectively bury someone on Calypso when they have never even been there or even know of its existence. That said however I don't think any of us have never been to grave yard and not cared a jot about the majority of the people buried there... why should Calypso be any different?

In conclusion I don't really know what I think on this one tbh... but some part of me feels Calypso should be for Calypsians and Calypsians only. Putting others in somehow cheapens the gesture. When Wistrel dies, I'd like her to rest in the company of others who loved Calypso.

Wistrel

PS whle I can see why people have thought of charging for non players etc... and that seems a good solution... I can't help also feeling the concept is also sort of... well, 'sick' I guess? I know IRL you have to pay for funerals and graves and cemetaries and that, even on Calypso, the artists have to work to design a memorial for which they need paying... A pay to visit graveyard seems very wrong however...

Last edited:
Voted NO because i see no reason why there should be memorials in this virtual world for non virtual persons.
But its up to MA to decide this , but this can go very "pervers" (hope this is the correct word) because this is the decision who is worth to have a memorial and who not :wise: Cannot imagine that those decision will produce a good feeling for themself and for the community.

Actually, everyone's worth it. So it's not a question of previlige in any way and I rather despise the thought of some people being worth more the others..

Don't speak for everyone - I don't know. Or I didn't. I was going to ask you to point it out, but I know now, thanks to DanielleYourMom, what thread you were refering to.

Edit:

This is a good debate but I would like to see some more pro arguments with (as requested by the thread starter) actual explanations as to why.

I'll probably be branded a cold hearted bitch but, although I didn't get a chance to vote, I think I am against non-Entropians being offficially commemorated in PE...

There are an insane amount of webpages in memory of different people from all over the world. They're on my internet, but I didn't know them. They might not even have used my internet when they died. I don't think those webpages should be removed.

I don't think there's need of "pro" arguments. Looking at it in a logical way this is an "innocent until proven guilty" case, so the ones coming up with the arguments should be the "negative" side.

Last edited:
Miller, you have completely valid points as always, and I completely respect your opinion and your right to believe other than how I do.

But .. I have to point something out.

You hear of people wanting their ashes scattered at football/sports grounds, does the population object to that even though that person may never have played for the team?

People don't happen upon those ashes on a daily basis.
People don't walk by and get sad because they see ash on the ground, and read a story of how someone died.

Plus, the people who want to spread these ashes, do not ask the head of the NFL or NBA or whatever to erect a momument in their honor, because they or their parents were fans of the football team.

My heart goes out 110% to this man's loss .. I just don't agree with memorials being erected for someone who had nothing to do with this universe.

Yes .. they played together, husband, wife, & child to be .. but I feel it so inappropriate to erect a statue for the baby.
The parents .. yes .. the baby .. not so much.

I'm sorry if my opinion upsets anyone .. I have kids .. I'm not completely heartless I swear .. I just don't think this is the place for such a thing.

i think whole memorial shit is bullshit... okey u lost ur daughter/son/wife/anything... do u really want a statue to a virtual shitgame to memorize u always from ur loss? or are u just collecting some special symphtay points? if i would lose a kid i definately wouldnt start spreading this kinda shit all over internet... thats just me...so -reps are welcome.. id need to get to 3 bars anyways (again) but think of it..

Win-Win

I still think it is a great opportunity for win-win. Don't know what you mean by sci-fi babble DYMDB. I was merely restating Calypso history and background. We all have real lives outside PE, but when I play I try to make the experience as real as I can and try not to forget I am interacting with real people with other RL and can certainly understand how a memorial would make the experience more real for TJ. Certainly is not a substitute for RL remembrance though. Just another expression.

The Brick

I still think it is a great opportunity for win-win. Don't know what you mean by sci-fi babble DYMDB. I was merely restating Calypso history and background. We all have real lives outside PE, but when I play I try to make the experience as real as I can and try not to forget I am interacting with real people with other RL and can certainly understand how a memorial would make the experience more real for TJ. Certainly is not a substitute for RL remembrance though. Just another expression.

The Brick

I never said I wanted it. I just wanted to know how others would feel about it. I used my grandpa only as an example. I really wouldnt want it in game. It would always remind me that hes not with us and that I never got to know him... Do I want to feel sad in a 'game'? No way, I want to come here to have fun and enjoy myself and not mourn over my grandpa's death.

I just wanted to open a civilized discussion on this topic.
I dont mean to harm anyone by this thread.

TJ:bandit:

Might have sounded a little more harsh than I meant it, Jaydub, my apologies.

What I was referring to was this :

Voted 'Yes'. Calypso is supposed to be an extension of an Earth-based society. Thus all avas are essentially earthly humans that have migrated to Calypso. There is absolutely no reason that a transplanted Earthling such ..

It's all sci-fi stuff to me ;)

I just wanted to make it clear that we're not talking about virtual characters anymore.
We're talking about real people who suffered real pain and ultimately died.
It's not something that should be looked at lightly like a video game, as much as MA tries to say it's not .. it's really all EU is.

There are probably some people IRL who never played who could have memorials, people like Arthur C Clarke maybe since his life work ties in with the Sci-Fi theme in both RL and fiction. Most of us could probably think of people like him who will always be remembered and respected and who would fit the genre.

I'd put money on us stumbling upon a statue of Elvis one day if people were allowed to erect memorials :laugh: He wouldn't fit would he?

Anything even remotely political would cause problems though, one nation has a hero who may not be thought of in the same way elsewhere...and we are a global community after all. Any war memorials, that's obviously asking for someone to get pissed off since it doesn't get more political than that.

Best leaving to players IMO, but not limiting it to ones who are no longer with us could be quite cool ...some kind of statue commemorating famous ATHs ?
Celebratory statues rather than memorials really. We already have items named after players...that's kind of the same I suppose.

At the end of the day I really hope we don't need any more memorials to players who are no longer with us.

t

I'd vote yes for a memorial park/cemetary area/island, away from everything else, (the secret island with some landscaping?) where row upon row of stones could be erected bearing names and messages. More PED could buy tombs and shrines etc. Just not anywhere where I could just end up by accident while playing a game, to enjoy myself. I don't hang out at other people's graves in real life and I don't really want to do it here.

Hurrikane

By all means create a memorial in your apartment with some user created images/text, but should there be an MA created public memorial? I say no, where would it end? I can think of at least 2 people I could put forward for one myself.

Back