Question: Weather.. or... not

Would you like to see "Weather" in game?

• Yes, be it rain, snow, sleet or hail..

Votes: 147 72.1%
  • Nope, I want it to be clear and sunny all the time (Except at night)

Votes: 25 12.3%
  • I don't care what the weather forecast is, I'm going out hunting/mining

Votes: 24 11.8%
  • Really don't care about the weather, I just like to talk about it

Votes: 8 3.9%

• Total voters

BenCoyote

Old Alpha
Society
Freelancer
Benjamin 'Ben' Coyote
Well since the implementation of VU10.08 (which was release today) it got me to thinking about something that the Entropia Universe possibly might need..

Previous to this update, there were some 'weather' effects such as snow, and fog/haze for good measure.

Now the real question is.. Do you want to have weather thrown into the mix in a later update? Or would you rather have it be sunny and clear all the time, with no weather effects thrown into the game?

So Let's hear from the folks.

Ben Coyote

Last edited:
I think weather is a really important thing for us to have.

Years ago, there was a voting terminal and one of the options was to add weather to the game. It seemed Mindark would listen as weather I believe won, but in the end they just deleted the voting terminals without ever really giving us weather.

With the latest vu some places have weather, like Emerald lakes has snow but I haven't seen any weather. I see we have time zones, maybe weather is on the way? I have always dreamed of games where theres weather. This game has already gotten me depositing again, give me weather and I will go nuts I think.

I pm'ed marco to see if we can get a few public details for this like if its going to be added. I hope the results of this vote will provide us with another added feature. We already know the Cryengine has great weather capability for those of us that played Crysis and Warhead. Why not weather, and please make it turn things wet for a change :)

Last edited:
yes yes yes :rolleyes:

BEER in mind that with weather comes lag, which will be closely followed by whining threads.

Last edited:
BEER in mind that with weather comes lag, which will be closely followed by whining threads.

wheres the beer?

oh never mind bear ...

i like weather ... id like it more if my video could handle it but i still want it.

That's a good idea... :)

Well since the implementation of VU10.08 (which was release today) it got me to thinking about something that the Entropia Universe possibly might need..

Previous to this update, there were some 'weather' effects such as snow, and fog/haze for good measure.

Now the real question is.. Do you want to have weather thrown into the mix in a later update? Or would you rather have it be sunny and clear all the time, with no weather effects thrown into the game?

So Let's hear from the folks.

Ben Coyote

Weather.. it has a role.

Actually when you think about weather, you do have to take into a account certain factors and make some critical choices. For example do you use a BLP rifle or a Laser rifle in the middle of a rainstorm complete with wind? Can your scope work effectively in wind driven snowy conditions (White out conditions come to mind), and above all would you go out into a driving thunderstorm complete with Lightning Wearing Pixie armor or Gremlin Armor? (After all the armor you're wearing is made of metal, and... well you get the idea.).

But weather does play an important role and yes even in gaming.

Would I want weather in a game? Of course I would because then it gives you a greater challenge to achieve.

Ben Coyote-

Last edited:
Actually when you think about weather, you do have to take into a account certain factors and make some critical choices. For example do you use a BLP rifle or a Laser rifle in the middle of a rainstorm complete with wind? Can your scope work effectively in wind driven snowy conditions (White out conditions come to mind), and above all would you go out into a driving thunderstorm complete with Lightning (After all the armor you're wearing is made of metal, and... well you get the idea..

But weather does play an important role and yes even in gaming.

Would I want weather in a game? Of course I would because then it gives you a greater challenge to achieve.

Ben Coyote-

:cool:
Bring it all on

:eek:

The more challenges the better

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I voted yes!
Would be fun to see a twister coming ...
I can see the threads all ready. "I was killed by a twister and lost a loot :(" :)

i just wanna know where's the bar's at?!?!?!?!! :) with actual drinking beverages alcoholic and non ya know spice it up a bit ;) would be GREAT! :) [/COLOR][/SIZE] thanks

Well if not twisters, how about dust devils?

I voted yes!
I can see the threads all ready. "I was killed by a twister and lost a loot :(" :)

Well Lars, I don't think we'll see tornadoes in the game, but rather what about dust devils? Even the lowly dust devil can obscure vision in a scope and can throw a BLP Bullet off it's intended trajectory.

As for weather in general, I wouldn't mind seeing the snow, the rain, even the icy conditions as you climb a mountain and slip back as you slide on the ice.

As for those critical choices and what I meant, were that would you wear Pixie armor (which has no electrical protection) in a driving thunderstorm? Or would you wear Gremlin which has good electrical protection in the same weather?_ A random lightning strike could easily cause damage as much as a bristlehog could)

But these are in fact some ideas being thrown out here..especially for the weather angle.

Ben Coyote--

Weather is something important. And I don't want it only as "window dressing" but as a gameplay element (maybe certain creatures only emerge during rain, for instance).

Weather is something important. And I don't want it only as "window dressing" but as a gameplay element (maybe certain creatures only emerge during rain, for instance).

:cool: very :cool:

It would be more like "i saw a twister emerging and got a BSOD crash" :D

Yes, and would also be cool if a large number of buildings and constructions would be more then window-dressing too. Even if it's just an elevator leading to the roof (or a bridge correctly aligned to the enviroment), such details are also important imo.

I voted yes!

Tornados would be fun especailly if
they took us to new planets like this
first recorded wormhole tornado

As an extra bonus it could lead to
finding those missing footguards

:cool:Marco...very:cool:

Weather is one of those details that definitely needs to be explored.

Exactly my point here Marco. Weather should be a gameplay element which could be the focal point of not just what to hunt, but rather what to wear as well.. (Are you better protected in your pixie armor during a lightning storm
or is Gremlin armor the way to go (After all it gives better electrical protection, especially if you are on high ground during a lightning storm)

But yes, Weather should be a serious game play element in any game.

Yes, and would also be cool if a large number of buildings and constructions would be more then window-dressing too. Even if it's just an elevator leading to the roof (or a bridge correctly aligned to the enviroment), such details are also important imo.

I tend to agree here as well, as details such as properly aligned bridges, elevators to a roof, and even the ability to scale sheer rock walls with grappling hooks and lines might be a little on the tall order side, but it's these small details that definitely make a game interesting. and Weather is just one of those details that are needed. Weather it seems plays an important part in our everyday lives, so why not we do the same for in game purposes? It's just another element that brings the gaming experience up a little more, and gives you a chance to think creatively on how to hunt, or mine, or even craft..(Rain boots and Umbrellas anyone? Or maybe some snowshoes to go into the snowy mountains.)

So see weather does play an important role in real life, so why not in game life as well?

Ben Coyote--

Last edited:
I'd love to see different types of weather, as long as it's not just one type 24/7 in the same places as it has been so far with the snow. Also it would be great to have gradual changes in the weather. So you would start to see a few flakes of snow apppearing, getting more & more over a few minutes. Rather than completely clear, oh look, screen freezes for a fraction of a second & now it's suddenly a blizzard.

One of my create-a-critter ideas that I didn't have time to enter (the last day of the competition was one day before the day of my real life graduation...) was a round "ball"-like mob with electric dmg type that would only come out during thunderstorms, be light enough to just drift around and follow the winds, and then focus the lightning to attack anyone that got too near :silly2:

EDIT: I also would like to see an area where there would be snowstorms every now and then that would dmg you... And some caves and stuff you could hide in :) there could be mobs there that would spawn only in the caves and attack anyone who entered ;) would be cool... and some camp to take shelter in :)

Dynamic weather Is it possible?

I'd love to see different types of weather, as long as it's not just one type 24/7 in the same places as it has been so far with the snow. Also it would be great to have gradual changes in the weather. So you would start to see a few flakes of snow apppearing, getting more & more over a few minutes. Rather than completely clear, oh look, screen freezes for a fraction of a second & now it's suddenly a blizzard.

+ rep for that Egg 90, After all you could watch a storm develop to your west, have it break over you, and then after that have clear skies with puffy white clouds..

The weather should be dynamic in a way which could portray real weather changes much like they do on a day to day basis.

(For example where I live, we have thunderstorms during the summer and we watch the clouds build up, the skies darken, and then the storm breaks complete with Lightning, heavy rain, sometimes hail (and the very infrequent and rare tornado)

But I think there's only so much you can do with Cryengine 2 so asking for all the "Bells and whistles" might be a tall order.. but then we've been in VU10 for something like 3 weeks now? There's a lot left to develop, but weather should be an important part of the challenges that we face in real life, so why not in game life as well?

EDIT: I also would like to see an area where there would be snowstorms every now and then that would dmg you... And some caves and stuff you could hide in :) there could be mobs there that would spawn only in the caves and attack anyone who entered ;) would be cool... and some camp to take shelter in :)

Nighthawk you got the right idea here, after all it would be fun to be able to be caught in a "White out" condition, having to find shelter, and end up next to an argonaut who is also sheltering from the storm.

I like your style of thinking when it comes to weather.. + Rep for you as well

Ben Coyote--

Last edited:
I have fog or low cloud at Miwak TP, it cycles in and out on very high definition.
I'd like this to permeate areas in the proximity and influence evade and dodge + to an influence upon mob hit so the mob perhaps cant see you or damage is diminished eg falx west of Miwak

GL to all and happy hofs.

if you're in a fog bank, then you're unseen

I have fog or low cloud at Miwak TP, it cycles in and out on very high definition.
I'd like this to permeate areas in the proximity and influence evade and dodge + to an influence upon mob hit so the mob perhaps cant see you or damage is diminished eg falx west of Miwak

Weather could have a modification to not only dodge and evade, but also to whether or not a mob can see you .. (Even if you are in agro range, but If you're in a fog bank or in clouds, and the mob can't see you, then it shouldn't attack you because it can't see you.)

also for the PVP Player, weather could play an important role in making a clean kill, or just wounding another player.. after all if you can't see what you can't hit, then you're at a distinct disadvantage.

BenCoyote

Last edited:
Weather could have a modification to not only dodge and evade, but also to whether or not a mob can see you .. (Even if you are in agro range, but If you're in a fog bank or in clouds, and the mob can't see you, then it shouldn't attack you because it can't see you.)

also for the PVP Player, weather could play an important role in making a clean kill, or just wounding another player.. after all if you can't see what you can't hit, then you're at a distinct disadvantage.

BenCoyote

Absolutely:D

There are places already with snow.
Problem is that i dont see mouse pointer and i find hard to point on anhything incuding icons.

There are places already with snow.
Problem is that i dont see mouse pointer and i find hard to point on anhything incuding icons.

yeah, snow 24/7... not just a 2-3 hour snowstorm or anything :silly2:

Hopefully that can be made cyclical ?

first one, i like more real weather :D

Yeah we have snowfall on juicy green grassland and trees. That´s what I´ve been waiting for for years... :rolleyes: :laugh:

Weather should be random, not cyclical.

I want the weather to be more random than cyclical :eek:

I'm with Nighthawk on this one.. After all when you deal with weather it's a completely random chance so while one day it might be clear and sunny, the next it could be rainy and cloudy while another day it could be snowing (if it's cold enough to snow, if not, then rain)

After all when you look at Randomness, Weather is perhaps the most random choice of patterns to deal with.. (After all I'm an amateur meteorologist (not a professional one)). and there are going to be days on end when the sun is going to be shining down on a particular area, such as a desert area, yet maybe there will be a cold front passing through that same area that could trigger a thunderstorm(There's such a thing as Probability of Precipitation or 'POPS' for short). I mean Weather does have a set pattern climatelogically speaking (After all Tornadoes occur in the early to mid spring in the Midwest, Hurricanes peak season is usually September in the Atlantic basin, and even Arizona has it's summer Monsoon season which runs from June to the end of September). But just like the summer monsoon, there might be days where it's clear with a few passing clouds.. but if the conditions are right, then it'll storm..

So yes Weather needs to be random here, with no set determination (except maybe for randomly generating a number with a potential result.) but it should also be determined by what climate you're dealing with.. (For Example Atlas Haven might have a thunderstorm occuring while it's sunny and clear at Twin Peaks..)

But weather should be random. not cyclical.

Ben Coyote

Hmm, yes, weather is something I'd definitively want to see introduced into the game. :D But geez, you guys do love pain don't you? :rolleyes: If that's the case, I don't want it to be THAT realistical and have a direct effect on my avatar (Read "direct" as in weather damage), the game is hard enough without Electric damage from lightning, Cold/Impact damage from blizzards/hails, one hit-kill shots from a tornado, and accuracy mods for you not being able to see the mob clearly (Though if there are the same for avatars back in Dodge/Evade then it should even out, extra ammo and gun decay is compensated in less armor/FAP decay and the ability to approach a mob closer without triggering aggro) and the like. However I'm all in for things like mobs that only appear during certain weather conditions and all visual effects that would have an impact in gameplay already. :)

Back