Error starting updater

Society
Mod Merps
Green Green Lightning
I get a box titled "error starting updater", error message says could not start the updater application. I click try again and get the same box. I've tried running both clientloader.exe and entropia.exe as administrator. Neither work. Anyone have any ideas? I do not want to have to DL the whole program again as it takes 10-11 hours. Thanks.

Hi Green! :wave: pls try to right ckick and run program as administrator first time thru.. this has been known to work sometimes.. also have you run the repair tool? (though prob not the problem) gl hope to see u in game soon :)

Edit srry just reread and saw u did try this already :(

New idea possibly dig out a new entropia shortcut from the entropia universe folder? in the past i have had to trash old shortucts and make a new one..(not in a long while tho)

Last edited:
Hi Green! :wave: pls try to right ckick and run program as administrator first time thru.. this has been known to work sometimes.. also have you run the repair tool? (though prob not the problem) gl hope to see u in game soon :)

Hi Stefan :wave:

He has said he tried to run as administrator. Also, if it is giving you the Error window, you can not run the repair client.

Last edited:
another thought.. green/legion .. u guys have copies of Entropia Universe folder on another pc or hard drive somewhere? If so copy that one over if u can . GL :)

Edit (again lol) I see you got it to work Legion? nice :) Green pls try the same

I don't think it gets to the point where it puts the update file on my pc cause I can't find it. Probably related to copying files from old pc and not doing a proper install. Ran fine until now. I can change or rename version.txt and get it to run repair but then I click on repair now and it starts DLing the 6+GB again. My solution will have to be play on old pc today (updated fine there) and delete stuff from new pc, download to new pc tonight and hope that after 10-11 hours I can play on new pc again. I tried copying files that changed from old pc to new but that didn't work.

Thanks to those that tried to help.

Tried the shortcut thing, no luck.

Found Entropia Universe Update.txt on old pc, copied the 7 files mentioned in that file to new pc and it works.

Last edited:
Having the same problem here as GreenLightning. Can't fix it though ...

Starting the CL creates the box saying 'error running updater'. I deinstalled EU before retrying, no luck. I went to old restore points, tried again, no luck. Tried as admin, used different compatibilty modes, no luck.

I'm out of luck and out of help. :confused:

Please help if anyone has a solution! Eternal thanks included :).

For the last two updates I have downloaded the update file from http://download.entropiauniverse.com/updates/
I save it to the Entropia Universe folder (same place that version.txt is located) because any other place it says it can't find EU on the computer.
Run as administrator from there and then I am able to use the EU shortcut. Still downloading content atm but looks like it will work again.

Hope this works for you lareka.

BTW I have to do this with every update.

my problem is: I enter gold card code and it says loading... then opens a screen and says dl ing EU...it comes to 100% and 30 min. passes, still cant get ingame. ??? anyone else?

allright...looks like I am screwed... had an older version also on another disk, so removed it(it was an outer disk) and now it is re-downloading 6GB content... :laugh:

And again same damn issue like the 5 last patches...

For the last two updates I have downloaded the update file from http://download.entropiauniverse.com/updates/

Thanks for the link! good start me hopes ...

I save it to the Entropia Universe folder (same place that version.txt is located) because any other place it says it can't find EU on the computer.
Done :)

Run as administrator from there and then I am able to use the EU shortcut. Still downloading content atm but looks like it will work again.
Now ... which file shall I run as admin? The Client Loader itself or the updater files?
Pls remember, I uninstalled everything as last attempt. :/ I only get to the CL window and then the infamous box appears. :rolleyes:

Hope this works for you lareka.
Not yet, but we'll figure it out :) And thanks!

I don't know if just running the update file will work for you lareka (if all the other game files are not there).

If you need the other game files can you restore or recover from recycle bin?

If not, many (not sure if all files are here or if they are latest versions) of the files can be found in subdirectories of
http://download.entropiauniverse.com/repair/

If you can get the files back from version 11.6.1.69087, update_11.6.1.69087-11.7.0.70170.exe is the file to run. From Windows Explorer, right click and select Run as Administrator. That only took a few seconds to run, then I was able to right click on the Clientloader.exe shortcut and select Run as Administrator for that as well. Running Clientloader.exe updated other files and that took 5 to 10 minutes. Then I was able to enter the game.

Sorry I was not as detailed last post, good luck!

Last edited:
I cant even unpack the patchfiles, neither can i reinstall the entire game.. nothing works.

Legion, did you put the update_11.6.1.69087-11.7.0.70170.exe file in the Entropia Universe folder? I initially had it in another folder and it did not work. Sorry I do not remember what kind of error I got. Once I copied the file to the Entropia Universe folder I was able to run it from there.

Another thing you might try is looking at version.txt and make sure the version # there is one of the two versions above. If its not, edit and save then try running the update_11.6.1.69087-11.7.0.70170.exe file.

Legion, did you put the update_11.6.1.69087-11.7.0.70170.exe file in the Entropia Universe folder? I initially had it in another folder and it did not work. Sorry I do not remember what kind of error I got. Once I copied the file to the Entropia Universe folder I was able to run it from there.

Another thing you might try is looking at version.txt and make sure the version # there is one of the two versions above. If its not, edit and save then try running the update_11.6.1.69087-11.7.0.70170.exe file.

yup i did. Got it working now though. It MIGHT be some corruption of my accounts so that my comp think it's another accounts folder. But i doubt it as everything else installs just fine.

If you can get the files back from version 11.6.1.69087, update_11.6.1.69087-11.7.0.70170.exe is the file to run. From Windows Explorer, right click and select Run as Administrator. That only took a few seconds to run, then I was able to right click on the Clientloader.exe shortcut and select Run as Administrator for that as well. Running Clientloader.exe updated other files and that took 5 to 10 minutes. Then I was able to enter the game.

Sorry I was not as detailed last post, good luck!

Eternal Thanks, Green Lightning, was quite a workaround but this fixed it! :yay:
Le't see how it goes with the next patches ;).

Have fun out there :)

I uninstaled game now i cant install game anymore.

ridiculous MA software programers, it just keeps installing 11.7 version then nothing more, what a fucking ridiculous.

Glad you got it working lareka and Legion. My experience indicates once something gets messed up with this game and you have to follow the manual download/run steps, you have to do that every time. At least its faster now, I was updating my old pc and copying files from that to the new pc. The last two updates I got the error box then just downloaded the update, ran it and I was playing in minutes instead of hours.

Assassino, I tried deleting the game from my new pc and re-downloading and that would not work for me either. I forget what the problem was but it would not work. I had to copy the files from my old pc or restore from recycle bin. If you've already emptied your trash, perhaps you can download enough of the files from the link I gave above and the update file and get it to work that way. GL

Last edited:
Hi guys ... while the last updates were possible with the workaround, I don't get it to run this time.

Getting this screen now after trying to run the CL:

Altho the version.txt is correct, it tells me it isn't. :tongue2:

Any ideas and hints? I'd appreciate. :)

Edit: I just saw, there's yet another update tomorrow, let's see what happens with that.

Last edited:
Not quite clear what fixed it - but it's fixed with the last VU. Me happy.
:yay:

Can someone guide me to where I find the latest update (aka Release 11.10.1)?
It's not yet on this list: http://download.entropiauniverse.com/updates/.

Arkadia closing in :wtg::yay: and the old updater bug is back on my screen ... :scratch2::eyecrazy::tongue2:.

Yes it is :yay: - thanks loads.

But it didn't fix the uploader issue. And I can't uninstall EU and just make a fresh start either ... always getting 'invalid uninstall control file'. Is there another way to get completely rid of all EU files manually?
Thanks in advance.

All the entropia universe files are here:
C:\Program Files\Entropia Universe
C:\Users\YOUR_USER\Documents\Entropia Universe

Also, if you want to be sure you clean everything related to Entropia Universe:
  1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. Type Regedit, and hit Enter.
  3. Navigate using the left panel to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MindArk
  4. Delete any entry under this category, you can also delete the folder once EU is uninstalled.
  5. Download CCleaner and run the Cleaner + Registry repair.
  6. Download the client and start a fresh install.
  7. Enjoy the game, or come here for more help...

:)

Thanks loads, Angel (yes, you are :)). Runs smoother than ever now!!:yay::yay:

Not to mention the 'easytofollowstepbystepanyonecandothis'-instructions. :D Just great! Eternal thx.

Thanks loads, Angel (yes, you are :)). Runs smoother than ever now!!:yay::yay:

Not to mention the 'easytofollowstepbystepanyonecandothis'-instructions. :D Just great! Eternal thx.

Hey that's cool, nice to see it worked.

Have fun and good luck !

Bump will reply in a few but need help!

Just needed to reboot after the info provided TY :)

This Does it For Me

I am so sick of how bad the programming is for this game. Every freaking patch I have to jump through hoops to get this stupid thing to work. My wife buys a new computer everything runs great on it except for entropia. I build a new computer, it runs great, and again everything works on it except for entropia. It's just not stable enough to want to risk real money in it anymore. The next time I can log in I am selling everything I have and that will be the end of it for me. If I can ever log in again.

Back