Multiple avis, Eula?

Sonya Heart

Prowler
Society
-= Sodan Shadows =-
Sonya Blade Heart
All,

I keep seeing posts where people are saying that having multiple avatars is against the EULA, I have re-read the eula a few times but I will be damned if I can find it.

I know the only real reason for multiples is either some quick skills or scamming.

My family (3 of them anyway) play EU and have done for some time (REAL family btw :) ) due to being on a router the IP Address is static so we would all be connecting from the same IP and I once saw that connecting 2 people from the same IP was against the EULA so now we just share computer time, basically I need to know If we are going to need to justify this at any time in the future especially with one member planning on getting an ATM card.

So people in the same boat have you ever had any problems and people with EULA knowledge please let me know also what about 2 people from same IP?

I would like hard proof though, just saying it is doesnt make it so ;)

I remember that it was stated (after a change) for some years ago that it was only allowed to have 1 avatar for each credit card registrated.
I am not sure how it works now though. For me personally, it doesn't matter since I have only time to spend on 1 avatar. :D

/Kjetil :cool:

We're two on the same IP too, but I don't really worry for that. If it was a problem, then the registration should be like "one account per household" which I hope it's not the case.

Sonya Heart said:
All,

I keep seeing posts where people are saying that having multiple avatars is against the EULA, I have re-read the eula a few times but I will be damned if I can find it.

that is because they are wrong and it doesn't say anything about multiple avatars.

The EULA states that YOU (unique individual) use an unique email and unique AVATAR inside EU. Any activity should be done by YOU using your AVATAR. Do not bother support if YOU have multiple avatars or your AVATAR has multiple owners.

I never heard of players to have problems because of the IP range , as long as the avatars acts in EU was not to be blamed.
IMHO , the EULA states these things very clear : one may not have 2 accounts .
Using of multiple accounts, created under real or fake informations , is the player's entire responsability .
My opinion or anybody's else in this matter cannot be usefull to you :
each case is unique and you have to ask MA , via the support section .
In the matter of account, deposits, credit cards, to me the best solution seems to be this :
ask MA for a clarification , via the support section.

So it used to be against the EULA but isnt anymore, Sometimes I do think that we should have all used just 1 avi in game (would be quite a good one by now) but we all wanted to make our own pals.

I dont really see a problem with it and MA must cater for the households that have more than one person playing EU.

I was more worried about when 2 of us are on at the same time, theres been alot of talk of bots and things latley and I didnt want to have my account locked for suspicion of using them (although I still think a bot is very different than a human but....)

wanda said:
that is because they are wrong and it doesn't say anything about multiple avatars.

and that is the long and short of the matter.

many have infered that there is something about having multiple avatars because each account can only have one avatar and a unique email address. Nothing is said about having multiple accounts.

i apologize if it sounds boring :

-me, as a player, a real person, i apply for an account.
-i create an avatar and i play EU using my avatar in EU.
-i may not have another account and avatar .
-nobody can stop me to apply for anothers 100 accounts , under fake informations ,but sooner or later MA will notice this and will act .
-nobody can stop 100 of my friends to give me theyr login and pass and to alowe me to use theyr accounts and avatars.
-if i use my avatar or my friends avatars for to do bad things in EU, MA will lock and/or ban the avatar( s) / account (s) .
-is up to MA to define " bad " and " good " inside EU .
-i know a player used some 20-40 avatars for just sweat . Is totally pointless if the avatars / accounts was created under real or fake informations : MA banned the " beneffitor " .
-yes my brother have 1 account/avatar, he dont play anymore and i use his avatar for sweat sometimes . Is up to MA to decide any following action in this matter.

Last edited:
I should point out that niether me or any others in my family have EVER scammed or been in anyway rude to anyone in PE/EU. We all deposit and I think my brother is the only one who sweated until he realised that putting in money would be preferable :D

If I or any other members of my family were scamming or being rude then I would expect MA to jump up and down but we just dont do that we are there for a good time thats all :)

ModOh said:
i apologize if it sounds boring :

-nobody can stop me to apply for anothers 100 accounts , under fake informations ,but sooner or later MA will notice this and will act .

Why do you assume you need to supply fake information.

All 5 of my avatars are registed the same, only the email address/login/pass is different = people can have more than 1 email address these days you know :rolleyes:

wanda said:
Why do you assume you need to supply fake information.

All 5 of my avatars are registed the same, only the email address/login/pass is different = people can have more than 1 email address these days you know :rolleyes:

I do not assume and i do not need .
I saw on this forum a person stated he/she did so, and asked Marco what could be done for to fix this.
I am not interrested in to " test " if i can or if i cannot create fake accounts and avatars.

There are a few reasons people use multiple avatars...that arent evil. MA knows this goes on, and it is openly accepted by them (though you can find a few quotes from Marco saying it is illegal to do so). A few Societies have "pilot" 2nd avatars that they use to pilot their society spaceship. The most famous person to use 2 avatars is Neverdie and the Island Girl avatar.
I see absolutely nothing wrong with this, however, I do see something wrong with MA telling people they are not allowed to use multiple avatars when it is something they know about and allow.

And no, it is not in the EULA that is dis-allowed to use Multiple avatars. Nor is scamming or stealing dis-allowed in EULA. :eek: :wise:

Morg said:
And no, it is not in the EULA that is dis-allowed to use Multiple avatars. Nor is scamming or stealing dis-allowed in EULA. :eek: :wise:

Doesnt the scamming/stealing get covered by the Thou shalt not steal clause in the EULA? Or the Thou shalt not break local laws clause?

We have multiple computers and 2 users. We both have accounts and are both in EU at the same time usually. If MA wanted to look at our accounts they would see the same I.P. address being used by both avatars. They would also note that both avatars are on at the same time about 99% of time. They would also note that many times both avatars are involved in combat at the same time. If that is your case, and it sounds like it is, I wouldn't worry about all 3 of you being on at the same time. MA is receiving the benefit of you all being involved in the 'game'. They aren't going to do anything to you or your accounts unless you give them a reason.

There are some on the forum that continually want to be like Chicken Little. The chicken that kept screaming "The sky is falling". Don't worry about what they say. Read enough of the posts and you can pick them out. They are also the ones that state that it's their opinion, they believe, etc.

I'm not going to worry about MA. I'm perfectly within my rights to have 2 ava's from the same IP address and will continue to have. Go ahead and login, all 3 of you. Go hunting together sometime. It would be next to impossible to play 3 ava's at once, unless you have 3 arms. :laugh:

DarkMatter

DarkMatter said:
We have multiple computers and 2 users. We both have accounts and are both in EU at the same time usually. If MA wanted to look at our accounts they would see the same I.P. address being used by both avatars. They would also note that both avatars are on at the same time about 99% of time. They would also note that many times both avatars are involved in combat at the same time. If that is your case, and it sounds like it is, I wouldn't worry about all 3 of you being on at the same time. MA is receiving the benefit of you all being involved in the 'game'. They aren't going to do anything to you or your accounts unless you give them a reason.

There are some on the forum that continually want to be like Chicken Little. The chicken that kept screaming "The sky is falling". Don't worry about what they say. Read enough of the posts and you can pick them out. They are also the ones that state that it's their opinion, they believe, etc.

I'm not going to worry about MA. I'm perfectly within my rights to have 2 ava's from the same IP address and will continue to have. Go ahead and login, all 3 of you. Go hunting together sometime. It would be next to impossible to play 3 ava's at once, unless you have 3 arms. :laugh:

DarkMatter

That is my case exactly (funny we are all hunters :D) I didnt see much of an issue,

I think the thing with ATM cards made me think as at 250 peds per card all 3 of us wont get one (not that rich :p) so either myself or another member will get one and they will be responcible for removing our peds (if we ever do :D),

I can see a red flag coming up on the withdrawl as the ip's the peds come from would be the same (bit like a scammer passing to a main). However with minimal investigation MA would see that we are realated and at the same address (RL and IP)

Thanks for your post though DarkMatter made sense that way, +rep (oops seems I repped you recently already :D)

Morg said:
There are a few reasons people use multiple avatars...that arent evil. MA knows this goes on, and it is openly accepted by them (though you can find a few quotes from Marco saying it is illegal to do so). A few Societies have "pilot" 2nd avatars that they use to pilot their society spaceship. The most famous person to use 2 avatars is Neverdie and the Island Girl avatar.
I see absolutely nothing wrong with this, however, I do see something wrong with MA telling people they are not allowed to use multiple avatars when it is something they know about and allow.

Island Girl never was created by NEVERDIE tho, it was created by his late girlfriend Tina Lieu

I have multiple avtars as well and they are all registered to my RL name and adress. HOWEVER these where made before we got storage, to store my items. I use more than one of them still. About the time storage came we got the word from MA that having multiple avatars WOULD NOT BE ALLOWED and they even blocked IP adresses from creating more than one account. I contacted Marco directly with regards to already existant avatars and was told that these would be allowed, as long as they where registered with correct information and unique email adresses. However, the problem soon arised that there are siblings, parents and kids and spouses that use the same connection and both play, so they removed the IP-blocking thing and started only limiting the email adress. There have been people banned for registering multiple avatars to exploit the mentoring system back when there was some major flaws with it, like being able to graduate on coloring with only a few peds spent in a few hours. Many also got away with that however...
I can not see any reason why they would suddenly allow people to have multiple accounts/avatars now that the scam accusations (unfounded and not) breed like rats and MindArk arent even willing to change an avatars name, even if its a matter of swapping nickname and last name.

First we have to look at the EULA... hm, best to take a snapshot, since MA likes to tamper the EULA without notice it... :wise: (look this thread).

2. Description
MindArk provides Entropia Universe as a service, described as a virtual universe. Entropia Universe is not a "game".
Upon completing the registration process, you will receive a password and account that is uniquely associated with your participation. All of your access to the system will be through that account, except as otherwise set forth in this Agreement.[...]
What do we learn? EU is not a game... lol. No, hehe, the account you have created is uniquely associated with your partiticipation in EU. In my opinion that means, your password/account is not associated with any other service aka game, mail account, irc, community, flight to mars.... That's fine, of course. :girl:

In my opinion you may create several accounts, because the EULA doesnt state "you will receive a password and account that is associated with your uniquely participation." (Just moving "uniquely" three word to the right). You even might easily find a better phrasing... ;)

For example, in chapter 1 of the EULA we see something like
To be a participant, you must be at least 18 years old. If you are not 18 years old but you are at least 13 years old, you may still partake, [...]
Ah, bad example, not very clear... ;) I doesnt see any statement in the EULA that clearly says "You only may participate with one avatar/account" or even better (ehm, worse) "Participation on EU is limited to one account per individual".

But wasnt it Noggin who likes to read paragraphs? :whistle:

Jac

PS: Yes, I have another ava, created on CND just to take a look there...

Last edited:
How about the "All of your access to the system will be through that account, except as otherwise set forth in this Agreement" part?
I cant recall seing anywhere that MA say you can create another account to access the system? ;)

Tigerman said:
How about the "All of your access to the system will be through that account, except as otherwise set forth in this Agreement" part?
I cant recall seing anywhere that MA say you can create another account to access the system? ;)

Yes, thats right. But they don't say clearly the opposite. In questions of law everything is allowed that isn't explicitly disallowed...

Jac

here i asked that at support once and this is what i got

Case 61702 History
06 Dec 2005 **** Diablo:
i am playing this for a month now and havinf fun with it
but whas reading rules and i got this problem my brother wants to play too can he play too with a account he uses other pc but same internet ip then that the router is connected too may he play or not?
06 Dec 2005 MindArk Support:
Hi ****!
As long as your brother has his own account that he uses when he plays, you both are very welcome in PE.
/Regards
Support
06 Dec 2005 **** Diablo:
so i dont get kicked or banned if we share stuff and play together sometimes ?
06 Dec 2005 MindArk Support:
As long as you follow the EULA you wont have any problems.
/Regards
Support

**** = my real name thats why ****

i have made few avatars just for having fun at avatar creation, so i have others besides Nea, but don't have time than just for my precious one :kos:

hmmms, what were the passwords to those others anyways? :p

AndromedaDiablo said:
here i asked that at support once and this is what i got

**** = my real name thats why ****

Fully answered :) have some +rep :)

+rep for the most eloquent and summarized dialog with the support team I have ever seen... (aka internet slang) :wise:

Ya know what, I play EU at home and at the local coffee house which has an open wireless network. The same IP address should not matter. I mean I am sure there are plenty of people using my open wireless network as well.

With that said, I am not quite sure there would be a fight there, simply because you and your neighbor could be playing at the same time, using your wireless network, showing the same IP address. So your neighbor, technically could have multiple accounts, and you could have one. Now mind you this is just a scenario There is no law that states you have to police your open wireless network.

Just my opinion.

Jaas said:
Ya know what, I play EU at home and at the local coffee house which has an open wireless network. The same IP address should not matter. I mean I am sure there are plenty of people using my open wireless network as well.

Ijust wanted to say that i could have fun with your "open wireless" and send a nice death threat to the prez or something and have the FBI and SS at ur house ;) not that I would :D

On topic
Yes you can play multiple computers from the same house on the same IP at the same time. As long as you do nothing wrong, you should have nothing to fear. But i do understand sometims MA likes to not say specifically what is allowed and not notify people (lol noggin WH case) ;)

Jaas said:
There is no law that states you have to police your open wireless network.
Actually, technically there is, as YOU will be held responsible for whatever illegal action others do while using it...
So if I connect to your wireless lan, use your internet connection and hack the FBI.. Youll be held equally responsible with me, if they find me. If they dont its all gonna be blamed on you..

mrproper said:
The EULA states that YOU (unique individual) use an unique email and unique AVATAR inside EU. Any activity should be done by YOU using your AVATAR. Do not bother support if YOU have multiple avatars or your AVATAR has multiple owners.

So basicly ... one email and name each avatar ... which only can be used by one owner. So if you got more emails you can have more avis - as long as no other than you use them ?

Lykke said:
So basicly ... one email and name each avatar ... which only can be used by one owner. So if you got more emails you can have more avis - as long as no other than you use them ?

I am pretty sure that's what the EULA means, but they know better and never fully explain EULA issues in support cases, you have to actually ask them:

So if I use a different email to make another avatar with another name with another virtual life and I don't contact the other avatar nor cause identity mistakes or trust misuse, can I play with them both as long as I do not bother you with their problems?

Yes! Read the EULA, it sais that there :eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

Back