Coloring System, by Sarah

Society
Universal Brotherhood
Sarah Zap Charlton
A lot of changes were made to the coloring system the past Version Update. At first, I misunderstood it due to some rumours which were spreading. However, after testing it through, I realized that this is how it should be. I keep receiving questions regarding how it works and how it will affect me and my customers, so realize that the best solution is to create a thread which covers the entire coloring system in order take away all of the confusion.

Required Levels
The required levels for certain colors have been changed, some have been increased and some have been decreased - in order to keep the balance within the system. You need to reach the required level of a color in order to have learning period bonus on it, as well as use it efficiently.

Chance of Success
The chance of success have been greatly modified, and this takes us to an entire new coloring system than the one we had before. A person who have yet to unlock a color may neither use it efficiently, even if they attempt to color it using 1000 paint cans. I have yet to see what happens when you reach the required level for a color, but I believe that you will then be able to color it with 100% chance of success with 1000 paint cans, the amount of cans required for a perfect, and guaranteed result will then be reduced until you are able to color the item perfectly with 300 cans, this is when you have maxed the color.

CoSSystem.jpg

The best amount to use when coloring appears to be 150 paint cans due to the high CoS, yet, low amount of paint cans, considering that you only get an additional 15% improvement in the CoS when using the double amount of cans.

The new cost to color
As you have already read, this means that we have to use a great deal of extra paint cans when coloring our items. Due to this, I will most likely not require the customer to bring his or her own paint cans. As, the paint cans are not the total cost. Here's how it works:

We will now receive a return of 90% of the total TT Value used when coloring, this means that colors which are closer to 100% will be a great deal cheaper than those sold for 150%. This return has to be included in the formula used for the cost of coloring, so here's an example:

Old Version:
It used to cost you 0.6 Ped in TT Value to color a field in Yellow.

New Version:
It will now require 4.5 Ped in TT Value worth of Yellow color in order to color one field with 85% CoS. However, due to the return. This cost will be reduced to (4,5 * 0,11 = 0,495) around 0.5 Pec. However, this is only if Yellow is sold for the TT Value.

Cost to color, example chart:
Yellow at 100% - 0.495 Pec.
Yellow at 110% - 0.95 Pec.
Yellow at 120% - 1.40 Ped.
Yellow at 130% - 1.85 Ped.
Yellow at 140% - 2.75 Ped.
Yellow at 200% - 5.00 Ped.

As you can see, the cost for coloring is greatly increased if the color is bought for over 110%. This will most likely affect the paint market.

Paint market, new prices:
This new system is going to heavily affect the new paint can market, several thousands of paint cans will most likely be used per day, the drop-rate will be higher than never before, and most colors will be sold for near the Trade Terminal value. I would not suggest anyone out there to invest in any paint at the moment, as the value will only drop down.

It is not worth coloring with paint worth much more than 105, or 110%. The fact that we need to use 150 cans for a decent result will heavily affect the cost of coloring using expensive paint cans.

Market for high-end paint cans:
An important discovery have been made today, so this will be updated later.

Other changes to the coloring system:
You have most likely already read the Version Update, but here are some of the updates:

New Colorators have been introduced
The old colorators were removed from the terminal this Version Update, and several new colorators have been introduced. One of these is the Ziplex Fashion Line Colorator. There's no bad news regarding this however, as the new colorator has a lowered decay rate.

The (L) Colorator has a decay rate of 0.5 Pec instead of 1 Pec, which means that it's actually better than the old version which was found in the Trade Terminal.

The (L) Bleacher has a decay rate of 2.0 Pec instead of 10.0+ Pec, which means that it's also better than the old versions of bleachers.

- It is now possible to set the saturation level of a color.
- We also see a chance of success bar, which goes all the way up to 100%. It was not possible to have 100% chance of success before the VU.
- New colors have been introduced, which means that you have a lot more to choice from.
- Lower skilled players will be able to use lower paint cans efficiently, while the higher skilled ones will be able to use higher paint cans, as well as lower paint cans efficiently. There will be more colorers to choice from when it comes to certain colors.
- The Colorator has been removed from the Trade Terminal.
- New (L) Colorators and Bleachers have been introduced.

Last edited:
Very nice post Sarah.
Thanks for clearing this up for the community!
+rep!

Very nice post Sarah.
Thanks for clearing this up for the community!
+rep!

It's for sure going to be fun and interesting to see how everything turns out. I will however most likely adjust all of my prices in the following week.

It's hard to set a price at the moment, as the cost to color will be so dependant on the market value of the paint cans. This is why I'm going to try to wait around a week or so before I get into business and start coloring for real again. One thing is for sure though, I will most likely not require the customer to bring any paint cans in the future.

very good post Sarah, thank you
+ rep

Thank you for the information.

Can you still give us prices based on us supplying the paint?

did you mention that, as a part of the tt of the paint can is added to the tt of the clothe, that you can receive the ped in excess?

master coat tt max 130 ped, value 128, adding 5 ped of paint, will end with the clothe full tt and 2 ped 50?

Thank you for the information.

Can you still give us prices based on us supplying the paint?

It will be easier for me to buy the paint cans myself and supply them to the customer. But I will see if I can give you prices based on you providing the paint cans as well though.

The thing is though, when you provide the paint cans, I'm the one who is going to give you PEDs instead of the other way around. This is because the system outputs 89% of the TT Value used when coloring, if the clothes are fully repaired. It will also be hard to set a fee on broken clothes, and it will just be confusing, and I will therefore most likely require the clothes to be in top condition when I color them.

did you mention that, as a part of the tt of the paint can is added to the tt of the clothe, that you can receive the ped in excess?

master coat tt max 130 ped, value 128, adding 5 ped of paint, will end with the clothe full tt and 2 ped 50?

Indeed. You will receive 89% of the TT Value of the paint used back when coloring. This is something which I have to take into consideration when coloring.

hof possible in coloring then?

hof possible in coloring then?

Hehe. I wish. ;)

The return when coloring is a limited, set sum at 89% of the TT Value used. This means that you will get a return of 89 Ped if you color with paint cans that have a TT Value of 100 Ped.

The PEDs will either be returned in the regular loot window, if the clothes are fully repaired. They will however repair the clothes if not.

It will be easier for me to buy the paint cans myself and supply them to the customer. But I will see if I can give you prices based on you providing the paint cans as well though.

The thing is though, when you provide the paint cans, I'm the one who is going to give you PEDs instead of the other way around. This is because the system outputs 89% of the TT Value used when coloring, if the clothes are fully repaired. It will also be hard to set a fee on broken clothes, and it will just be confusing, and I will therefore most likely require the clothes to be in top condition when I color them.

Indeed. You will receive 89% of the TT Value of the paint used back when coloring. This is something which I have to take into consideration when coloring.

Then may I suggest, on the lower level paints, I provide the paints and you keep any of the peds for your fee? That would be plenty fine with me. On the high TT stuff, something else would probably have to be worked out.

BTW, thanks for the quick response.
On a different note, MA changed hairstyling too and we are trying to figure out if it is bugged or just way different.

P.S.
Sarah has painted several of my items and is always a pleasure to deal with. :D

Then may I suggest, on the lower level paints, I provide the paints and you keep any of the peds for your fee? That would be plenty fine with me. On the high TT stuff, something else would probably have to be worked out.

BTW, thanks for the quick response.
On a different note, MA changed hairstyling too and we are trying to figure out if it is bugged or just way different.

P.S.
Sarah has painted several of my items and is always a pleasure to deal with. :D

Sure, it's always possible to arrange something special. So, that wouldn't be a problem at all for me.

I'm not sure if anything happened with the hairstyling, all I know is that I colored my hair a bit today and I love the changes. Either way, I hope you figure it out.

wow thanks for sharing the info its greatly appreciated but many :)
+rep here for sure

Im one of the unlucky that storage all my paints since my start.... :yay:

After killing a few mobs in new VU... one mob dropped 10 ped of violet cream...

Noooo, all my paint... Nooo...
I instantly realised that all my paint is now tt food... f**k... :mad:

Well, nice to hear that coloring seams to be better then before.

Im one of the unlucky that storage all my paints since my start.... :yay:

After killing a few mobs in new VU... one mob dropped 10 ped of violet cream...

Noooo, all my paint... Nooo...
I instantly realised that all my paint is now tt food... f**k... :mad:

Well, nice to hear that coloring seams to be better then before.

I know how you are feeling. There are several people out there whom have gathered white, or black paint in storage for future coloration. The fact that the Black paint can increased its TT Value with three times the regular amount also caused us to loose a lot of paint cans, which basically rendered them useless due to the higher amount required when coloring.

I suppose Mindark wanted to start over, in a way. I understand the situation for everyone who had high-end paint cans gathered, but I also see how this is a great improvement for the general population, and all of the colorers out there.

I know how you are feeling. There are several people out there whom have gathered white, or black paint in storage for future coloration. The fact that the Black paint can increased its TT Value with three times the regular amount also caused us to loose a lot of paint cans, which basically rendered them useless due to the higher amount required when coloring.

I suppose Mindark wanted to start over, in a way. I understand the situation for everyone who had high-end paint cans gathered, but I also see how this is a great improvement for the general population, and all of the colorers out there.

Thx for the info Sarah - understand what you were trying to explain in game now :D

BTW - what happened to your old EF account?

EDIT: never mind :D https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84672

Last edited:
Nice info there, thanky...

So let me get this straight..

Those people who've been stockpiling cans of paint to colour their garments, and potentially spent thousands (market price) on stuff like black paint, is now worth a mere tiny fraction of what it was worth before the VU?

Thousands of dollars down the toilet?

Or am I misunderstanding?

Great post Sarah - something I was going to put together but I've been at work. I was also going to add a screenprint so people could see what you were on about.

With respect to colourators and bleachers. I have also tested the bugs in the previous VU:
The Old TT colourator and bleachers: there was a bug that meant the bleacher decayed even when colouring (i.e on bleach and on colour therefore double the cost) this has stopped now. Although the colourator decays by 1 pec regardless of whether it is used for bleaching or colouring.

New L Colourator: the colourator currently only decays when used for colouring. Even if a bleacher is attached and used to bleach the colourator will not decay, if it is then used to colour it will decay (and the bleacher does not)

I hope that made sense. This of course may change as I have no idea if this is a bug or now how it is meant to work.

An Noggin because of the sheer volume needed then they either need to buy the entire stock of paint in the world to colour an item black or forget the idea :)

Nice info there, thanky...

So let me get this straight..

Those people who've been stockpiling cans of paint to colour their garments, and potentially spent thousands (market price) on stuff like black paint, is now worth a mere tiny fraction of what it was worth before the VU?

Thousands of dollars down the toilet?

Or am I misunderstanding?

I'm afraid it is correct that the high-end paint cans will be sold for a lot less due to this Version Update. Black were sold for around 120 Ped before, buying Black for 120 Ped per can would now mean that a field would cost (120 * 150 = 18000) - (150*0.87= 130) = 17870 Ped. I sorta doubt anyone would pay that amount of money to color anything at all. So, yes. Black will drop. A lot.

Oh, I should not forget to add this though. Black will cost (150*0.11) 16.5 Ped per field if you buy it for the TT Value.

Great post Sarah - something I was going to put together but I've been at work. I was also going to add a screenprint so people could see what you were on about...

Thank you so much for this information. I had yet to notice that the decay rate worked differently on the different colorers, with an exception that it had been lowered on the (L) Colorator. +Rep.

Sarah, tyvm for the good info on new coloring system.

Which Level are you atm? I want to update the Colorer List ;)
And if you got a Can of Black I would appreciate if you could tell me the recommended Level for it!

Thank you, have fun and good Luck
LeeLoo

a couple of things:

what do you mean by "saturation level"?

and are you 100% sure that 100% is the real CoS. couldn't it be like crafting CoS? though i suppose i haven't seen what the colourator CoS bar looks like. would it be possible for you to post us a piccie please? :)

Sarah, tyvm for the good info on new coloring system.

Which Level are you atm? I want to update the Colorer List ;)
And if you got a Can of Black I would appreciate if you could tell me the recommended Level for it!

Thank you, have fun and good Luck
LeeLoo

I'm currently at level 81.8 in Coloring. It's going to be a lot of fun when I finally reach level 82, even if it isn't going to have any impact on my results as of today.

The required level for Black is level 69. I'm not sure how many levels you need to gain after that before you max it however, as I most likely maxed it some time ago. The TT Value has been increased to 1 Ped / Can.

thank you

as an artist I naturally wanted to cultivate the ability to color, tailor, . . . lol . . . well, do everything!!

your guide helps immensely since everything changed - and i was just getting the big picture on the old system

Thank you very much

;>

that would be the saturation of the colour. so using blue as an example, full satuation might be a rich, primary, blue or a lighter sky blue

The saturation level allows you to select how bright the outcome is going to be. Here's an example:
Satur1.jpg
Satur2.jpg

and are you 100% sure that 100% is the real CoS. couldn't it be like crafting CoS? though i suppose i haven't seen what the colourator CoS bar looks like. would it be possible for you to post us a piccie please? :)

The old CoS worked exactly like it did in the crafting system, which means that the best possible CoS was far less than 100%. This has however been changed now, at least I have yet to fail using 300 cans.

The bar underneith the paint can will be 100% green if you have maxed a color, and the inputted paint cans are in the amount of 300.

that would be the saturation of the colour. so using blue as an example, full satuation might be a rich, primary, blue or a lighter sky blue

oh right. i didn't think it was possible to choose :scratch2:
i thought that success was the colour it should be, ie: blue
and a "near success" was blue
and fail, well, fails completely.

so are you saying sarah that its possible to choose the shade of colour at 100% success now? i suppose that would be cool.

Hey good posts all round here and thanks lots for providing all the info Sarah.

It sounds like a good system all round and certainly incorporates aspects of things I've even put forward myself in the past.

The old system was screwy to say the least, this sounds way better.

Thanks for the info Sarah, +rep.

So this means that I can gradually repair my broken clothes by skilling colouring on them, yes? The cost will be higher than repairing at the terminal, but with the benefit of skill gains.

I am also interested to know how skilling is affected in the new VU. On VU day I tried 20 clicks with one can of orange and got only one skill gain (and I'm a total noob at colouring, only 3 points in Colour Matching). Is it now better for me to use 20 at a time, for skilling purposes?

so are you saying sarah that its possible to choose the shade of colour at 100% success now? i suppose that would be cool.

Yes exactly :)

And Oleg yes you could gradually repair by skilling on colouring - I've done a lot of my clothes that way now :)

Back