Preview of New Oxford

Translation please :cool:

if only I spoke swedish ... :rolleyes:

AJack10600 said:
if only I spoke swedish ... :rolleyes:

Being able to read it would be of more use :wise: ;)

i wish i could translate, but i have to attend a meeting in 15 min :(

Ill translate... Here you go :)

Virtual premiere for Ernst Billgren

In a week there will be a premiere for the artist Ernst Billgrens latest project; the virtual city New Oxford. It is created for the Gothenburg-company Mindarks game Entropia. Both real and virtual art will be sold in New Oxfords gallery.

Recently the PC-game Project Entropia changed name to Entropia Universe. The nameswich marked the transfer from a MMORPG-project to a real parallel universe. Mindark now wants to sell authentic digital art in their world.

The projectleader Carl Uggla says the goal is to "make the intellectal standard for onlinegames higher". And for this goal the firm has reccruted the multiartist Ernst Billgren.

How did you come up with the idea to create a artistcolelctive (?) in a online game?
-Mindark called me up and wondered if I was interested in working with a few paintings for the game. But I worked more with the idea and designed a whole city, says Billgren to realtid.se
New Oxford is a culturecity that is placed on a island. In the middle of the city is a central house which reminds you of a deersphinx. In there is a gallery where you can take artcourses and go visit exhibitions.

Together with Mindarks graphicsdesigners, Billgren have given New Oxford shape. Ernst makes the concept art, which then Mindark makes to computergraphics. Just as many of Billgrens earlier works moasics will be a central theme in the digital city.

Is gaming art, or is gaming in need of art?
-Art as a concept has played its role. Nobody thought Da Vinci's helicopter-drawings was art when he made them. Games is like paintings but living. TV,paintings,games, all flows together
New Oxfords gallery is gonna sell virtual art and real art. Is the games art equal to real art?
-The paintings will be sold for real with set prices or via auction. Some will be unique while others will be printed more often.

While Carl Uggla answers about that the first paintings will be ready for "earth-delivery", Entropias buildt-in e-shop, is Mark Kostabis work. The digital art that will only excist in the entropia-universe will be sold for a tenth of the original piece's worth. Carl means that the art in games isnt as much worth as the art on a canvas.

The New Oxford Project will be followed by seminars by different artists. All in all there will be more artists and formats tied up to the new Oxford. The first seminars will be pre-made but there is also plans to use the games mediainteractivity and hold lactures in real time.

-Yes, there are possibilities to make new methods, says Ernst

Carl Uggla adds that the system will be developed and at a later stage lactures will be sent in realtime via video-streaming.

Ernst Billgren have no former experiences in onlinegames. Timedemanding onlinegames are not working with a multiartists progran, He rather calls himself a consoleplayer even if it seldom is more then watching his childrem play.

Do you have a own avatar in EU?
-Yes, I have a avatar, though he is in New Oxford that is now closed for public.

Vernissage in WoW next?

-I think you have to start in one end, to vary the shooting and hunting I think more people will be interrested in learning. Maybe study in the digital universe.

What other game would you give the Billgren-treatment?
-Why not link together games? And blend worlds and people.

Screenshots give me the impression its pretty big. Hopefully there is alot todo :)

KapokWu said:
Well, the artist (Enrst Billgren) designs nice furniture at least.

LOL that website...design by Dave 3 years old?
This dude f***ed up a MINI a few years ago with his "dear art". it was a project for the "childcancerfoundation" and it was going to be sold @ an auction.. noone wanted to pay the $ they hoped 4
so it was a totla failur...

everything he mess with usualy looks like some crap from the 1700
hope he didnt mess this game up. :mad:

Thanks for the translation Skam :D

+rep

well its on ameth so lets hope the N or E gets opened :)

I hope this guy designed a few new mobs - these last few have really not been well designed at all

KapokWu said:
Well, the artist (Enrst Billgren) designs nice furniture at least.

Art is matter of taste .
But the site is the worst i have saw from very long time.
I wonder if i have allready see a site as ugly , un-usable ..... as this one...

Bah the article is interessing , at least we learn that MA still going in "hype-jetset" customer , and not in player system.

As for the town , wait and see ... with MA you never know :)

predden said:
LOL that website...design by Dave 3 years old?
This dude f***ed up a MINI a few years ago with his "dear art". it was a project for the "childcancerfoundation" and it was going to be sold @ an auction.. noone wanted to pay the $ they hoped 4
so it was a totla failur...

everything he mess with usualy looks like some crap from the 1700
hope he didnt mess this game up. :mad:

What is with these rubbish first posts from people today!

Squee said:
Screenshots give me the impression its pretty big. Hopefully there is alot todo :)
Hehe...alot to do? :)

Gives new meaning to the phrase "location, location, location". Is it just me or does it seem that we (can) do the same things in pretty much all places in the game. The only thing that actually changes is the background and who happens to be around.

Is it believed that new avatar activies will be introduced along with New Oxford?

thanks for the translation skam ^^

i personally like the furniture

its very bauhaus and futuresque lol

Skam said:
New Oxford is a culturecity that is placed on a island.

Placed on a island? Now we know a little bit more i think. The island are the ithaca island?

My thesis - the robots destroy the city-ithaca and the new oxford will build.

Any other specs :)?

DAN

kygon said:
well its on ameth

Its on island.
Where is it stated that this island is on amethera ?
Ithaca - thats my guess :) Or maybe new island somewhere on Eudoria.

AirEntropia said:
Placed on a island? Now we know a little bit more i think. The island are the ithaca island?

My thesis - the robots destroy the city-ithaca and the new oxford will build.

Any other specs :)?

DAN

I believe that too.

Ateush said:
Its on island.
Where is it stated that this island is on amethera ?
Ithaca - thats my guess :) Or maybe new island somewhere on Eudoria.

look at the ground , that is ameth or maybe we're getting a new continet , I hope not I'd hate another unfinshed area that looks like fun to explore until you hit the "we did not bother finishing this area, that server has never existed" message ;)

I'm just intrigued by the fact it says "next week" :)

Personally, the article just reinforces my belief that this is a complete waste of time. Art is a leisure activity. MA has no time for leisure with all the bugs, poor graphics and badly needed upgrades to the game engine. Besides, a quick look at PE auction will show you that the max paid for a decoration/furniture item is like 2000ped (excluding Manufacturing terminals as those are actually useful!). And don’t tell me that an artist is going to let that 2000ped go into the loot pool, they want to be paid.

Seriously, MA get your priorities straight. Are big depositors going to be attracted to EU to purchase virtual art? doubt it. More likely we going to end up with a bunch of freeloading artists creating stick figure portraits selling them in PA along side the resellers ripping off noobs.

The Ad system is a great idea, this New Oxford idea just plain sucks

Thanks for translating Skam:girl: Rep+

So i wonder where it will be, a closed off area of Amethera or on Eudoria, hope we dont have to wait to long to find out:laugh:

ty marco :) ty skam, for translation, by swedish is lil rusty :p (sad actually)

Skam said:
-Yes, I have a avatar, though he is in New Oxford that is now closed for public.

Oh lord! I want to take a hunt with Ernst! :D

Looks like we will have a version of the Golden Gate Bridge

maybe it will be at amethera NE, some vulcano boom has boomed up a island, quickly been taken by the umanz....

Lady Mercury said:
Oh lord! I want to take a hunt with Ernst! :D

Oh Lord! I want to hunt Ernst....and loot him :laugh:

Back