***WoF '08*** Info & Rules

Anyone can apply to be selected for their country's main team, even a first-day noob. And if they somehow don't make the cut, then they are free to take a role in the support team and aid their country that way. It's all good:)

Hurrikane

Fappers?

Ok yeah umm I'd like to fap for this WoF thingy, but I don't understand...Is there an entrance fee?
If somebody with some info about this event could PM me I'd appreciate it.

NO entry fee,
for info on this event, go to the first page of this thread and have a look.

If you have any other questions, feel free to pm me.

MP

Hi, the teams are 12 in number to give a chance of a full team for each hunt; if only 6 were on the team it would be hard to get them all online every time. The 12, as they may recieve glory, fame and prizes, must be selected from all those who apply by an elected Captain. Anyone not selected, and anyone else loyal to your cause, can perform Support Team duties.

The Main Teams are the 12 selected by an elected Captain.

The Hunt Teams are those from the Main Team who hunt in each match.

Anyone from the Main Team not on a Hunt Team but available to be online can perform Support Team duties.

Hope that clears that up:)

Hurrikane

yes, it clears up eveithyng, thanks Hurrikane ;)

With the new Hof board - we will have many more of these in the scoring :yay:

With the new Hof board - we will have many more of these in the scoring :yay:

Yes, Hurrikane are you changing the bonus points for either HoF's or ATH's?

Yes, Hurrikane are you changing the bonus points for either HoF's or ATH's?

Been thinking about this.... doubling the mob's score for a HoF should still be fair, as HoF's are hardly 50% of globals, more like less than 10%.... I will keep an eye on this though, and may decide to adapt the scoring to suit the new situation.

Hurrikane

Been thinking about this.... doubling the mob's score for a HoF should still be fair, as HoF's are hardly 50% of globals, more like less than 10%.... I will keep an eye on this though, and may decide to adapt the scoring to suit the new situation.

Hurrikane

OK thanks for clarifying HoF points Hurrikane.

But ATH's are now given for what before was only a run-of-the-mill HoF so easier for countries to double their total scores if that stays the same.

OK thanks for clarifying HoF points Hurrikane.

But ATH's are now given for what before was only a run-of-the-mill HoF so easier for countries to double their total scores if that stays the same.

Could set an lower bound on HOFs to count as ATH. However, we've got about 50 days before WoF starts, by which time I guess the bottom of the ATH table will be over 10k so it won't be as low as it is now.

Could set an lower bound on HOFs to count as ATH. However, we've got about 50 days before WoF starts, by which time I guess the bottom of the ATH table will be over 10k so it won't be as low as it is now.

...what he said:)

I'm giving the new stuff a bit of time to settle down into a pattern before making any decisions on this.

Hurrikane

...what he said:)

I'm giving the new stuff a bit of time to settle down into a pattern before making any decisions on this.

Hurrikane

OK thanks Hurrikane...that's what I would have said so you must be right ;)

I would suggest that the fairest way is for a loot to count an ATH only if it reaches the Top 25 (i.e. old-style) ATH list, for the purposes of this competition. Depending on how things change in the tables before February, perhaps this could be extended a bit, but I doubt we'll get past the point where even number 30 is a 'real' ATH before then.

I say, keep the rules as is.
By feb the ATH list will be high enough and it will be good if a country gets an ATH in the competition.

10 years down the road, people will say, remember Team SA getting that ATH, that was just after the ATH list was increased.
That is the reason that SA has won the WoF, 10 times in a row

:)

Support Teams are anyone who has named their team accordingly. This has not changed from last year, and the duties the Support found themselves performing last year will still be necessary; Fapping, running ammo, and clearing of unwanted mobs. The only change is that this year, some of the unwanted mobs can be scored on, to reward the efforts of the Support Teams (who are wasting ammo anonymously) and give them opportunity to further help their Country to score. They can also post their globals, show off their names and be included in the Tournament instead of lurking in the unskilled shadows. This is important for the whole intention of the WoF itself.

As people live or work in countries other than their own there will never be a way to check the nationalities of those taking part. There is no need to. Those who wish to support a certain country can do so, as last year. The only change is it is now harder to damage another country's score than improve your own. Patriotism should win.

Hurrikane

Is the support team allowed to take mobs to, let's say, 60% health so the main team can take down more mobs in a certain timeframe or would this be against the rules?

(Would pretty much ruin the fun for me if it would be allowed.)

Leona

Is the support team allowed to take mobs to, let's say, 60% health so the main team can take down more mobs in a certain timeframe or would this be against the rules?

(Would pretty much ruin the fun for me if it would be allowed.)

Leona

This practice was permitted last year, but it is fraught with peril. It is all to easy to take too much off a mob, and then the main team cannot loot it...

I have a feeling that it also depends on the amount of damage done by an individual...

For example..

Support Avatar does 40% damage to a main team mob.

Main team finish it, doing 15% damage to it each...

In this case the looting rights go to the Support Avatar, as he did more damage than any of the individual members of the Main team...

Now, I'm don't know this for a fact, it's just what I heard.. I'd love to hear some further discussion on this if you know different...

What I do know is that the Support Team can, and do, use this tactic to Support their main team. Last year it was permitted. Wales did NOT stoop to this low practice, but it did go on.

In reply to the above question, yes, this practice did go on last year as far as I am aware, although it wasn't widely used because of the risky nature of it as chopper has described: in the chaos of the WoF, precision shooting like this (for no reward for Support) would take more organising than just straight-out hunting IMO.

As with a few other issues, it is allowed simply because there isn't much I can do about the actions of avatars within a free environment. The Rules cover most things, but only those things that can be enforced. I cannot control or judge anyone's actions within EU, nor do I wish to. The Rules as they stand are designed to cope with anything anyone can throw at them without giving cheaters enough scope to succeed.

As it stands, the way to win the WoF is to get the most globals. Whether skills and gear, weight of numbers (i.e. National Pride) or a combination of both wins the day, the WoF Winners Title for 2008 will reflect the nation most committed to winning, within the given Rules. Before considering a tactic as cheating, see it first as Tactics.... because the Rules are there to say what is cheating already.

Hurrikane

Note to all Teams.... those not able to get 12 avatars for their Main Team CAN enter with less.

Hurrikane

An Overview

An Overview and slight change:

Stage 1 will involve every participating team and will be where most will want to shine; a good score here can make them go into Stage 2 with confidence, although cautious of those who might take the lead. The moblist for this stage will be mostly established mobs, found in both Eudoria and Amethera. There will be a pvp element (one (support) mob is found only in a pvp area).

Stage 2 is where several teams will fall out of the competition, and so the scores will be watched here with great interest. After this hunt, Stage 3 and the 3 hunts within it await to further proves a team's mettle. The moblist here is set up for higher scores, and again features mobs found on both continents. There may be a pvp element (one (main) mob is sometimes found in a pvp area)

Stage 3 is now called Stage 3: Amethera Assault.

Stage 4 is now Stage 4: Bye, Robot.

Stage 5 is still Off-World Semi-Finals, and Stage 6 is still the Final.

I have updated the info page (initial post).

Hurrikane

Last edited:
I would suggest that the fairest way is for a loot to count an ATH only if it reaches the Top 25 (i.e. old-style) ATH list, for the purposes of this competition. Depending on how things change in the tables before February, perhaps this could be extended a bit, but I doubt we'll get past the point where even number 30 is a 'real' ATH before then.

If any team gets ANY loot that is ATH-worthy, 25 or 100, I don't care. To get a 10K loot is pretty spectacular and you can't deny it.

Let's just keep HOFs as HOFS and ATH's as ATH's. If we start qualifying them it's going to get confusing....moreso than it already is...

This practice was permitted last year, but it is fraught with peril. It is all to easy to take too much off a mob, and then the main team cannot loot it...

I have a feeling that it also depends on the amount of damage done by an individual...

For example..

Support Avatar does 40% damage to a main team mob.

Main team finish it, doing 15% damage to it each...

In this case the looting rights go to the Support Avatar, as he did more damage than any of the individual members of the Main team...

Now, I'm don't know this for a fact, it's just what I heard.. I'd love to hear some further discussion on this if you know different...

What I do know is that the Support Team can, and do, use this tactic to Support their main team. Last year it was permitted. Wales did NOT stoop to this low practice, but it did go on.

I know personally from last year that is is rare that more than 2 main team hunters might be hutning teh same mob at the early stages, so "confusion" is not a problem. Last year, I would pull mobs to the main hunter, but didn't waste time trying to take them down. The hunters that I was assigned to usually took mobs down so fast, that it would be a waste of time for me to spend time taking them mobs down. I had to spend all my time finding mobs and pulling them back to him, not damaging them. On the tougher mobs, perhaps.

However, with unlimited support, there is a converse to this. Say you have 4 supporters firing and they get the mob to 40%, doing 15% each. Unless one of them does big damage and crits, won't the main team hunter get the kill by doing 40%? Or...since the support TEAM did 60%, would it be unlootable by the main? If the TEAM damage overrides the individual, what if the unlimited supporters were unteamed, then? It could be taken down to less than that I suppose so long as the main team hunter did the highest damage, yes?

A sticky wicket.

I know personally from last year that is is rare that more than 2 main team hunters might be hutning teh same mob at the early stages, so "confusion" is not a problem. Last year, I would pull mobs to the main hunter, but didn't waste time trying to take them down. The hunters that I was assigned to usually took mobs down so fast, that it would be a waste of time for me to spend time taking them mobs down. I had to spend all my time finding mobs and pulling them back to him, not damaging them. On the tougher mobs, perhaps.

However, with unlimited support, there is a converse to this. Say you have 4 supporters firing and they get the mob to 40%, doing 15% each. Unless one of them does big damage and crits, won't the main team hunter get the kill by doing 40%? Or...since the support TEAM did 60%, would it be unlootable by the main? If the TEAM damage overrides the individual, what if the unlimited supporters were unteamed, then? It could be taken down to less than that I suppose so long as the main team hunter did the highest damage, yes?

A sticky wicket.

Lot of "if's" here.... and it ain't cricket. Nothing suggests to me that a better score can be got through anything but flat-out hunting with the best players your country has got. Passing mobs between groups of people like they were a dis-ssembly line is a nice idea, but the practice would be/is an organisational nightmare.

Hurrikane

Reminder:

Two days left to sort out your Captains.

Teams can still add names until Jan 25th.

Captains don't have to give me their Final Main Team list of 12 until Jan 26th.

If there's less than 12 names signed in your team thread, the Main Team can be less than 12.

43 different mobs feature in the WoF this year... practice on anything:) There will always be some mobs included that have several spawns to avoid one team dominating an area.

Jan 1st I will post in all Team threads and answer any issues that have arisen.

First Hunts are still Feb 2nd and Feb 3rd. Start thinking about the time slots you'd prefer.

Good Luck!....especially those WoF'ing for the first time. Hope you all had a fine rest over xmas and are ready for some serious killing.

Hurrikane

Oh, and to those who wanted to know...

the HoF and ATH rule STAYS.

Before, it was a million-to-one for a WoF ATH, now it isn't. It's still rare enough to warrant double points.... and the increased chance of a WoFHoF should pep the scores up nicely too:)

Hurrikane

One other thing Hurrikane - doesn't direct affect anything significantly I don't think but (unless I'm mistaken) minimini hofs don't happen anymore. When I last logged on hunting had 99 entries and mining had 98 entries (both well into three figures at the bottom). In the next few minutes there were multiple globals in both that didn't make it onto the list, so presumably it has to be above a certain amount or something.

I think that makes it fairer really anyway. Before one team could get a 300 PED and not get on the list and then the other team could get on with a 50 PED one five minutes later...

thought of something that i dont see mentioned anywhere

are HOF's & ATH's in the new items list counted as a HOF / ATH for the team ?

prolly a good chance of this hapening at least 1 time during the event & i think it should be made clear if they count before they happen rather than have a contriversial decision on counting or not counting afterwords

thought of something that i dont see mentioned anywhere

are HOF's & ATH's in the new items list counted as a HOF / ATH for the team ?

prolly a good chance of this hapening at least 1 time during the event & i think it should be made clear if they count before they happen rather than have a contriversial decision on counting or not counting afterwords

If it's a global on a new item it won't be for one of the listed mobs, so no, it won't count. The only globals that count for scoring are the ones that are for killling the moblist.

Hurrikane

thanx

didnt think it would count but thought was worth asking ;o)

How long will each hunt/ stage last? I think last year every hunt lasted 2 hours if I'm not mistaken. Wasn't able to find the information in the first post of this thread. If it's mentioned there I apologise for my blindness in advance :p

How long will each hunt/ stage last? I think last year every hunt lasted 2 hours if I'm not mistaken. Wasn't able to find the information in the first post of this thread. If it's mentioned there I apologise for my blindness in advance :p

each hunt is 3 hours.

I think you can find that information in you own Team thread posted by Hurrikane

3 hours. Think it was the same last year.

Back