News: A Minute with Magnus

Skam

The Half-Wit Phoenix
Society
Rabbids
Silicon Skam Chip
header_494332.jpg

The man has been almost as big a mystery as loot itself. (No, it’s not Lootius.)

He is like the troll that gets the blame when things go bad, and the savior that gets your gratitude when things go well. Those who take interest in what goes on behind the drapes in the backstage area of the Entropia arena might already know Magnus Erikssons name.

He’s been at MindArk since 1999, and started off as a programmer back then. The position he holds now is Chief Operating Officer of MindArk, but what you might remember him best as is the infamous Balancing Manager.

If this interview was a Broadway-show, some really dramatic music might have played at the end of that last paragraph. Balancing is a tense subject; it touches a lot of nerves. After all, the real cash economy has a tendency of bringing up strong emotions in players.

Handing out goodies

It is a cold and rainy autumn day outside in Gothenburg, Sweden. Workdays are long, for both MindArk and First Planet Company staff after the CryEngine2 implementation. It’s a Friday afternoon, and the coat rack is filled. It’s been a long week, there’s a lot of work left to do. The coffee-machine is probably close to overheating.

As for Magnus and the other system designers, they have had to reprogram the balancing system to fit the new motor.

- We’ve made a lot of adjustments of course, but the economic mechanisms work in the same way as before CryEngine2. We’ve basically plugged the old code into the new engine. So there aren’t any changes, so to speak.

We’re sitting in a conference room overlooking Järntorget. Despite the gloomy weather outside the windows surrounding the conference-room, talking about the Second Golden Age makes his face light up.

- Large events, such as the second golden age, means more work, yes. Then again it’s always good to hand out desirable items to the community! Of course it will have some effect on the market, so it needs to be done carefully. But it’s a very pleasant task, he smiles with his eyes, the same eyes used to monitor our loot.

Things have changed though, and while people still talk about the Balancing Manager, the position is not the same as it used to be. Today, his usual work day involves analyzing activity, discussing the activity with the balancing group, and creating reports which eventually affect the design and balancing system.

mid2.jpg

- Back when I filled the role of Balancing Manager, I worked a lot more by myself. We were a group, of course, but I had more individual responsibilities regarding balancing matters. Now I never work alone, there is a large group of system designers that takes care of it with me. Things are also a lot more automated now.

Planets in Sync

That, however, does not mean work is scarce for Magnus and Co. The split between MindArk and First Planet Company, and the upcoming planet partners, brings a whole new set of challenges for the balancing group.
- I must admit, that it has been hard to let Marco and his team do what they want to do, without having my fingers in it. It takes some getting used to, but it’s not a negative thing.

- Balancing the planets with each other is also quite the task. The basics need to be the same, at the same time as we wish each of the planets to offer something very different, to be unique.

- Will one planet be cheaper than another?

- Well, that’s somewhat up to the planet partners, regarding how they wish their planet to be. The basics need to be the same, though. I mean, they could choose the equivalent of a Snablesnot Young to be the fiercest mob on their planet, and thus it might be cheaper. But the layers need to stay the same; the upward progressions on planets need to be balanced with each other. Planets may grow in opposite directions however.

Looking at the planet partners’ web-pages it sure looks like it will be different. There will be movie-themed worlds and a time travelling experience, there will be zombie killing, sci-fi and fantasy side by side.

- We want them to be as different as possible, but they still have to work together, you know?

- So we’re not going to be able to loot a dozen modified first aid packs each on another planet.

- Hehe, no. That wouldn’t work very well. You’re supposed to be able to bring items from one planet to another, and such a scenario could disrupt other planets’ economies.

Virtual banking

Since the beginning, MindArk have been focusing a lot on the mergence of virtual reality with real life. This have shown itself, with varying degrees of success, in projects such as New Oxford, Vexed Generation, in-world advertisement, in-world events linking to real life, Cash cards and their latest project: The MindBank.

- It will be more up to the planets now if they decide to go after the VR-RL merge, but I know there are quite a few ideas circling. I think there are a few exciting things in the pipeline. The bank will also make it easier for companies to connect to the Entropia platform, since most of the systems are already in place. The bank is quality and security guarantee mark for the real life companies that wish to go into Entropia, Magnus explains.

- These things do take time though. The bank had been in planning a long, long time, but getting the banking world to understand our reality is a challenge in itself. It is not something they are faced with every day. We have the license now, though.

With MindBank, the future is looking a little brighter for the long awaited Cash Cards. They’ve been off market for several years now, after the company they originally launched it with didn’t prove as stable as they wished it to be.

- It will be reintroduced, yes. There’s no ETA right now, but it will be back. Things do take time though, from setting things in motion to them becoming a reality.

handshake.jpg

Read this interview in:
French
German
Polish
Italian

(Huge thanks to the translators!)

Last edited:
very kewl keep up the great wrok :D

Lol I really can't imagine how hard it must be to be MA's balancing manager.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
Ahh the Lootius
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Good reading and nice article! :)

great article !! :)

so no free mod faps on the new planets? damn... :grumble:
anyway about transfering items over planets: wonder if we'll have to carry them on us or will the storage have a wormhole included so we can access items from all planets?

Great future for this game ;) :yay:

Skam;2155746 [I said:
- So we’re not going to be able to loot a dozen modified first aid packs each on another planet.[/I]

- Hehe, no. That wouldn’t work very well. You’re supposed to be able to bring items from one planet to another, and such a scenario could disrupt other planets’ economies.

hx for interview Skam, now after visiting HQ's make sure u dont get a huge hof, or u'll be cursed for ever :D

the quoted part has answered one of the most important parts for me about new planets :)

hx for interview Skam, now after visiting HQ's make sure u dont get a huge hof, or u'll be cursed for ever :D

God, thanks for reminding me! I hope I got things right and Looti...err, I mean Magnus doesn't get mad at me! :scared:

ok is it just me or did he used to be in the group BROS :)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS44KtUh22g[/YOUTUBE]

great new reporting.
i find it very informative.

If he is not lootius, he sure is lootius avatar :D

Nice report Skam! Always nice to see some more background...

Thanks a lot for a bit different article this time! Nice to read how things are behind the scenes.

We’ve made a lot of adjustments of course, but the economic mechanisms work in the same way as before CryEngine2. We’ve basically plugged the old code into the new engine. So there aren’t any changes, so to speak.

Yeah, i know they wanted to give us the new engine as soon as possible, but in my opinion this was a mistake a little bit. With the new engine the player count decreased, the second one is the SGA, and the third one are(was) the functions in the game not worked a while. This things made the game balance instable, and now total noobs on without any skills and records on ETracker getting TOWERs (i counted 5 of them last week). 2 years ago when i dont had any skills was the situation the oposite. People with skills got the towers, and now since i belong to the middle players group the loot i prospering for the new players. Maybe it is a MA's plan to attract new players to the game. In the other hand if they spend those money for a new equipment, than is is OK, and I(We) can only hope that they dont withdraw them out....

EDIT: Good Job SKAM of course!

Last edited:
Top notch as always !
Some very interesting info gathered also. Now we know more about what the future planets will be like :)

This things made the game balance instable, and now total noobs on without any skills and records on ETracker getting TOWERs (i counted 5 of them last week). 2 years ago when i dont had any skills was the situation the oposite.

You don't remember correctly. Ever since the towers were reintroduced (i.e. meteor event, sep 2005 or when it was), many newbs/unskilled in mining took towers. At times you could say that all of them were taken by newbs.

But never since that mining overhaul, never happened to have a period dominated by skilled players, from this point of view, towers.

But I also don't know how to take his statement that nothing changed. Maybe october 2009 vs. august 2009, there yes probably weren't many changes.

Great article as always, now bless this guy for future hofs to come.;)

/Arwen

A really well written article Skam, I enjoyed reading it very much, thank you. :)

Absolutely awesome reporting!!!! This is fantastic news!!
Thank you very much!! :D

so it appears the basic commonality between the planets will be the items - but questions remain....

• will certain items only come from certain planets? (probably)
  • will certain items only be useful on certain planets? (probably)
  • will there be transfer fees for all or certain items between planets? (I hope not)

we shall see. And when will these planets open? Can anyone provide a timeline, however iffy it might be?

:scratch2:

An interesting and graphic insight, although very little new information is actually revealed here.

What I'd really be interesting in knowing is the following:

Did you get the impression that Magnus was being very careful and cautious with his words?

Did you press him over the perceived imbalance between the general average loot returns and disproportionately high singular "All Time Highs" (i.e. the argument that higher average loot returns may please the community more than rare one-off very high "lottery style" All Time Highs)?

Did he reveal or let slip any information that you cannot publish on the forum, or that he later tried to retract?

And, did you catch any sly/quick glances of any other "Behind-the-scenes" stuff whilst in the office, such as a picture on a wall, or something on someone's PC screen?

;)

if this guy doesn't have a t-shirt that sais " behold i am lootius" on it somone should send one his way :laugh:

geif moar SGA itemz plox !:ahh:

Nicely done.

Did you get the impression that Magnus was being very careful and cautious with his words?

Did you press him over the perceived imbalance between the general average loot returns and disproportionately high singular "All Time Highs" (i.e. the argument that higher average loot returns may please the community more than rare one-off very high "lottery style" All Time Highs)?

Did he reveal or let slip any information that you cannot publish on the forum, or that he later tried to retract?

And, did you catch any sly/quick glances of any other "Behind-the-scenes" stuff whilst in the office, such as a picture on a wall, or something on someone's PC screen?

;)

Magnus surprised me a little, actually. I imagined him being very cautious because of the position he is in. But in fact, he spoke rather freely, obviously very aware of what questions he could answer and what subjects he could not talk about.
When he stopped to search for words, it was because of the english/swedish language barrier. (I carried out the interview in english, even if I understand swedish, to get the most correct quotes without having to translate). He wasn't an uncomfortable guy to be around.

I of course asked some questions he couldn't answer, because balancing is a delicate subject, And no, he didn't slip any information to me that I haven't already written down in this interview :)

I did get a view of the behind the scene life of the MA/FPC office yes. The coffee-machine is the nave of the office, the coat rack was almost overfilled.
I was told that Friday, the day I was there, is "fika"-day, where they sit down for coffee and cake - a little in-house tradition.

There was some Cyrene posters on the wall, and a sign not to flush down q-tips and other 'foreign artifacts' in the toilet in the bathroom ;) I didn't get to see any PC screens.

I didn't really wander around the office though, I was sitting in their conference room, like I described. :)

That's a very nice article, Skam! Good to read something about the actions behind the sceens :thumbup:

Magnus surprised me a little, actually. I imagined him being very cautious because of the position he is in. But in fact, he spoke rather freely, obviously very aware of what questions he could answer and what subjects he could not talk about.
When he stopped to search for words, it was because of the english/swedish language barrier. (I carried out the interview in english, even if I understand swedish, to get the most correct quotes without having to translate). He wasn't an uncomfortable guy to be around.

I of course asked some questions he couldn't answer, because balancing is a delicate subject, And no, he didn't slip any information to me that I haven't already written down in this interview :)

I did get a view of the behind the scene life of the MA/FPC office yes. The coffee-machine is the nave of the office, the coat rack was almost overfilled.
I was told that Friday, the day I was there, is "fika"-day, where they sit down for coffee and cake - a little in-house tradition.

There was some Cyrene posters on the wall, and a sign not to flush down q-tips and other 'foreign artifacts' in the toilet in the bathroom ;) I didn't get to see any PC screens.

I didn't really wander around the office though, I was sitting in their conference room, like I described. :)

Great Stuff!

Thanks for the interesting insights!

+Rep

Maybe the loot distribution algorithm was written on a piece of paper hidden in one of those coat pockets.

;)

Now I have a sudden and unexplicable urge to go and eat some cake...

:yay:

So he's to blame for the original screw ups in balance and the whole thing going down the drain... lynch him !! :D:D:D:D

This kind of interview ironically reveals more about the future planet partners and the way the system works than any official announcement...

Very interesting read Skam ;)

Thx!

Back