EU has lost its magic for me

Wolverine Queen

Stalker
Society
Supremacy Reign
Anna Wolverine Queen
This is not a whining post, or demand for MA to do something. This is just a fact from relatively old player, and I'm very sad to make this thread.

I first heard of PE/EU around 4 years ago, when there was article about it somewhere, and it seemed interesting. A game where you could make money? Now thats something! Bit later my friend desided to give it a try, and he like it. May '07 I made my avatar and started my adventure in the huge world of Project Entropia. The first few months of my EU life were spent around Port Atlantis, sweating, killing few scary monsters here and there with my shiny opalo, or exploring (Which meant running 5 minutes to some direction, and coming back to tell everyone about my trip).

Those were propably the best days of my EU existance. I didnt care about losses as I hadnt deposided (yet), I was having fun and running around in wonder of all the places. Slowly I started to go further, until I had all the TP's and points of interests, and I could have ran from PA to Fort Zeus without looking at my map once. And yet everytime I would head to wilderness, mining or hunting, I would find new things and have fun.

I liked the story behind EU, I liked pretty much everything in it. Then VU10 came.

When MA originally announced that they would use CE2 to recreate EU, I was exited as anyone else. I had the impression that CE2 was graphic engine, and we would get new better graphics on the same world we loved so.

Before the VU10 came out, some maps were released and the reality of the hugeness of the changes they would do started to reveal itself. And still I liked it. Good, more exploring to do!, I thought.

Well, VU10 came. First time I logged in, I was almost literally hanging my jaw on the ground. New Switcherland and its snowing! It was very beautiful, as good as I had hoped.

But after the first few moments the reality started hitting, and it hit hard. All the bugs that made even logging in a major operation, the unclimbable mountains that made the exploring I had waited impossible. The missing features. No teaming, no mentoring, no pets (I dont even remember what all was missing). It did not take me many days to miss the EU before VU10.

Also, the exploring started to seem useless. I havent done the exact math, but for example the new Eudoria is several times larger than the old Eudoria, and after hours and hours of running around mountains I cant climb and mobs I cant see, I started to get really frustrated.

I wont even get into SGA, thats a whole new thread.

Now, it has been 1½ (or more?) years since VU10, and in my opinion EU is not much better then it was the day it was released. Constant bugs, and new useless features pouring in while the old ones havent even been re-implemented.

I was still hopeful about EU, until the one man who I always had liked shattered the magic of EU. Neverdie. Rocktropia.

I believe most of you know what I mean by this. One of the main reasons I loved EU was its unique story, and the exitement I had everytime I logged in. Rocktropia was the last nail to the coffin for the spirit of Project Entropia. Money took over beauty. This is another subject I could go on and on about, but its useless, why would MA care what their paying customers think?

Planet Michael. Fuck yeah, thats the spirit!

(Okay this is going on the whining side which I dont want this to be, so I'll just end here).

EU has lost its magic on me, and it makes me sad. When I log in to EU, I dont log in to adventure or have exiting experiences. Only reason I still am part of EU is the community and all the friends I have made. If it werent for them, I would be long gone.

One thing I would like to say directly to MA. Listen to your customers before its too late.

Wolverine Queen

Last edited:
Some well made points. I tend to agree with most of them, although I do believe EU is getting better. Missions and vehicles are two excellent implementations.

Missions and vehicles are two excellent implementations.

On this I agree also. My main point was that despite all the new "cool" additions, the thing I loved about EU is gone. The spirit of it.

On this I agree also. My main point was that despite all the new "cool" additions, the thing I loved about EU is gone. The spirit of it.

in that sentiment I can agree. It seems the more additions they make the further it gets from the game I joined.

cant disagree on anything you are saying. If entropia pre vu10 and entropia today were 2 diferent games (i know its not a "game") i would much rather play the pre vu10.

Last edited:
cant disagree on anything you are saying. If entropia pre vu10 and entropia today were 2 diferent games (i know its now a "game") i would much rather play the pre vu10.

i second this.

Some well made points. I tend to agree with most of them.

Just for the record.

Some well made points. I tend to disagree with most of them.

But there's no point in arguing about inevitable change in general. :silly2:

One thing I would like to say directly to MA. Listen to your customers before its too late.

Wolverine Queen

I know you meant something different with this statement, but I'll comment on it as it is.
Fact is, we are no longer MAs customers, the planet partners are, and that makes the whole difference.

I would welcome all the changes if the all the changes would not bring more and more no loots, bad loots, failed bombs, failed crafts, bugs bugs and more bugs.

I would welcome all the changes if the all the changes would not bring more and more no loots, bad loots, failed bombs, failed crafts, bugs bugs and more bugs.

i second this aswell :)

I know you meant something different with this statement, but I'll comment on it as it is.
Fact is, we are no longer MAs customers, the planet partners are, and that makes the whole difference.

it also seems a pretty one sided deal. MA tell FPC what they're getting and FPC have to accept it. FPC should be telling MA what they want and not the other way around.

We are FPC's customers and FPC is MA's customer, that makes us MA's customers. And MA makes the decision who they accept as planet partner and who they dont.

+ rep Wolverine - with VU 10 EU lost his Charakter :banghead:

*Starts Crying Uncontrolably*

Coming up 6 years of my life now!
I third and forth that OP

If i could chose id go back to Pre VU 10 in a heart beat. Im even willing to give up all my vehicle and mission. I agree it lost its magic. But still, I like the game and I wont stop playing or paying for it.

The other planets i dont like i will just ignore. Rocktropia doesnt bother me that much. Been there twice and can live with a few global message/day coming from there.

But like you said, its much more thanks to my friends and the community I play. I still see alot of potential here thou, once all the buggs are gone and all features are back, once every area have been redone like PA are now and the vulcano area, i think it can be a magic and fantastic game once more.

But oh, how I miss old Swamp Camp. There is nothing like it! :(

But like you said, its much more thanks to my friends and the community I play. I still see alot of potential here thou, once all the buggs are gone and all features are back, once every area have been redone like PA are now and the vulcano area, i think it can be a magic and fantastic game once more.

Yep, one thing about EU that cannot be beaten by any other is the community. I dont know why, but EU has and always has had awesome people in it, and I have made countless friends.

Nowdays I play less actively then I used to, and concentrate on having fun with my friends instead of trying to play as big as possible or do everything at once.

I think it is necessary to reactivate the mentoring system. Because this could helping to return the spirit that you have defined as missing. Since the mentoring system gives support for play in groups, and allows for better relations between so different players (mentors and newbies), which I think is very necessary in a time when teamwork has been greatly diminished. But I love Entropia Universe, 8.x 9.x,10.x, or 20.x inclusive. ;)

WQ,

I completely concur with you and your statements that many pre-VU10 functions are sorely missed. And the exploring part of Calypso is also currently lacking...

If I can offer a positive perspective?

Think about how PE may have been before you arrived in 2007 and before I arrived in 2004. Think of how players before us must have thought, "this place really needs some work!". Think about the changes that occurred from 2003-2009...

So many things need to be fixed; no argument there. Some are glaring problems, some are just superficial. I wish that many of the "easter eggs" that existed in old Calypso had similar things to find in the new Calypso. Story lines... Architecture... A Soul...

These things will be re-added in time(or so I hope). Rome was not built in a day, and neither will the new version of Calypso.

And don't get too focused on niche worlds like Rocktropia and Planet Michael. Just think of them as themed asteroids like CND. We still have Cyrene, etc to look forward too... that fit more closely to the Sci-Fi theme of FPC.

It's always easier said that done, but be patient. Who knows what waits for us around each VU?

WQ,

I completely concur with you and your statements that many pre-VU10 functions are sorely missed. And the exploring part of Calypso is also currently lacking...

If I can offer a positive perspective?

Think about how PE may have been before you arrived in 2007 and before I arrived in 2004. Think of how players before us must have thought, "this place really needs some work!". Think about the changes that occurred from 2003-2009...

So many things need to be fixed; no argument there. Some are glaring problems, some are just superficial. I wish that many of the "easter eggs" that existed in old Calypso had similar things to find in the new Calypso. Story lines... Architecture... A Soul...

These things will be re-added in time(or so I hope). Rome was not built in a day, and neither will the new version of Calypso.

And don't get too focused on niche worlds like Rocktropia and Planet Michael. Just think of them as themed asteroids like CND. We still have Cyrene, etc to look forward too... that fit more closely to the Sci-Fi theme of FPC.

It's always easier said that done, but be patient. Who knows what waits for us around each VU?

My thoughts exactly!! ;)

I don't see the magic being lost, I see myself as exploring a new place that is constantly changing in dynamics and content. I see Cryengine as a new life on an old but inovative, impressive, and mostly one of a kind adventure that too me is second to none!! :yay:

Every day things must be screaming in the minds behind the scenes!! I can only imagine what the developers and owners must be doing and thinking each day!! I can feel the excitement they must have when new stuff comes to fruition!! (Vehicles, new revamped mindforce, places and secenery changing, new planets)!!

For me I don't look at the here and now, I look beyond the bugs (and yes they "bug" me as well ;)) and missing content. I know that when then bring back all the great stuff we had, it will be redone and it will be something new to explore!! :) Just this is pure excitement to me. :D

For the new planets.. Yeah they may not fit into the sci-fi theme, but I have two thoughts about this...

1. If I were capable of traveling to new worlds in real life, would I see the same feel as I do on earth??!! I might find a mid evil planet and see what it might have been like for me back in the early days of Earth. I might find highly advanced culture that I can drool over the all the neat and wonderful advances in technology, health, and even virtual reality!! ;) Hey I might find the planet where Michael Jackson came from and really learn how to moon walk!! :laugh:

2. I love Sci fi. I just can't get enough of it!! But its soo nice to explore somthing new. These new planets give me the chance to see what some great minds are thinking about. If I get bored of it, then I know deep down in my heart that my beloved Planet Calypso is always calling me back to rekindle the love I had when I first opened my eyes to the vastness that I saw on Oct /2/06. (the day I was reborn on Calypso)!! :yay: Yes its my 4 birthday on Calypso as of two days ago!! lol :ahh:

I hope that in time when these old systems are back online that you too can see what I see and feel everytime I log on and just watch a sunset!!

Gl to you and have fun!! :beerchug::grouphug:

Oh one last thought... I try and watch a sunset in real life as much as i can cause I know that life itself is an adventure every day!! ;)

There is new magic now..

but I do agree .. I miss the old world too... It's like going on holidays to Italy every year, and then the next year, Italy is gone and has been replaced with something entirely different.

I still have trouble adjusting and maybe after 6 years it's becoming too hard..

For new players this is their new world, they do not know the old port atlantis with its yellow walls or the old camp phoenix where the remains of the spaceship used to be, or the old desert with that enormous building that looked like aliens built it, or the old rig, minopolis with it;s nice houses, zeus with its nice berycled spawn, camp medusa where a molisk would always pay out, or spiral mountains where a spider could be around every corner.

Sure, the gfx aren't top notch in 2010... but I do still load up counterstrike, because counterstrike source just isn't the same.

I wish FPC would read this and create some of the old world ( pre vu 10) underwater so the old players could swim down and reminess about a time in a project far far away.

Wolverine Queen

Just curious, exactly which customer is MA supposed to be listening to :scratch2:

There is new magic now..

It's like going on holidays to Italy every year, and then the next year, Italy is gone and has been replaced with something entirely different.

Oh no - Italy gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What shall I do??????????? :banghead: :cry: :shots:

Oh i believe WQ has some valid points and yes is not whining and not demands either, is just what it was and what it is.

Still i believe her writting is more blog quality that thread's, it made me feel nostalgic for my first couple of months, the sense of wonder was the best.

I agree with your entired post matter of fact i quit for 3 months after vu 10 was released. my reasoning was shitty controls and a few other reasons. i came back once the controls were fixed and things like tp chips were working.

Thing i have to disagree on is the planets with varying theme not being good for this game. I personally don't care for rocktopia's theme, or the planet Micheal one (well if they do something like the moonwalker arcade of sega gensis game it would be cool), on the other hand these themes might be appealing to a certain crowd and might lead to more people within eu. If thats not the case the planets will die off and be an afterthought.

The point you made in your post that stands out to me is the mountainous game we play now compared to pre vu10. I think they did this to implement fall damage down the pipeline and possibly other reasons. I had high hopes too for cry-engine but other than some oh and aw eye candy moments (i personally don't play games for that reason), it feels like it is lack luster. I think we were better off pre vu10, but time can only tell whats going to happen.

And kudos for you for making one of the few whine threads thats not about loot but actually address or touches on issues that in my opinion are serious.

kosmos

I am very concerned that the MA/FPC public relations people seem to ignore what is said in this forum. What more is the fact that they never give a clear response.
There is no reason to be vague. We all understand that deadlines are hard to meet, we just expect feedback on how things are progressing.
It would not hurt for the programmers to put up a post saying, hey we are almost finished with taming. There is still xyz issues to be fixed before we release it roughly in say November?
The game is improving, but better Public relations is paramount to keeping players ingame and especially depositing.

I wonder if it would be unreasonable for Hanne to post once a week with updates on our main issues? Not that she doesn't post, but a regular thing we can rely on?

Cheers
Bjorn

I thought the deal with planet partners and MA was 50/50 .. did I miss something?

I am very concerned that the MA/FPC public relations people seem to ignore what is said in this forum. What more is the fact that they never give a clear response.
There is no reason to be vague. We all understand that deadlines are hard to meet, we just expect feedback on how things are progressing.
I wholeheartedly agree. I honestly think MA|FPC should hire John Capital and other mods on as full time hires under the direction of Hanne and Marco... and that this new PR team will have a lot more input in how things are run based on the participants perspective... Every participant is an end user of the application known as entropia universe, and right now there are many problems (such as no taming, etc.) that the end users are experiencing. Any halfbaked computer programer can tell you you have to make the end user happy to achieve your goals....

I kinda agree, but somehow I don't. I love what ce did to the planet, it's much more beautiful now and to me the spirit is still there, it's the people that make or break it for me.

I am still missing beacons (not that I ever was on one, but it's the principle that counts), taming and mentoring. I am a mf freak and since that has been re-emplement I am much happier again. Also love the missions (even though I hate mission mobs already) and vehicles. Personally I like the fall dmge, it should be applied to mobs too though. I like the non climbable hills, but I am no miner :rolleyes:

We knew a long time cry engine would come, now it's here and we got to adapt, same with the planets. I was never a fan of neverdie or that cheesy planet he has, but since I was up there that changed, I like the rock, it's still cheesy but fun, I treat it like a holiday resort when you need a break from calypso. What ma is hopefully gonna do with more planets to come is make global chat planet only and not mix the different types. I wouldnt want to see michael jackson merchandise tee shirts on calypso.

What I would like Ma to do is take back all the auction houses everywhere and make outposts outposts again, a revive, a turret and maybe a trade and repair terminal but nothing else. Make cities more unique, bring Minopolis back!

When you've been doing the same thing for three or more years, it might be hard to set goals, and this largely depends on the individual and the groups they are associated with. Being in a society where at least half of them log in every day for 2hrs or more has made it easy for me to set realistic goals and have fun. A major point of interest for me is missions at them moment. Sure I've done a lot of them (I will have finished mission 108 in a few hours) but there are people in my soc who have done more than me. So equalling their effort is my first priority. My other goals in EU involve me requiring a lot of spare peds, so those are on the backburner at the moment - but when I do have some spare peds I will enjoy investing them all the more (investing them into fun for myself).

I have taken relatively long breaks at a time (2 months here and there) and I have an interest in other computer games, so I will never be bored in that respect. I am looking forward to more planets (cyrene etc) just to see what other people can come up with... and i really hope a new pvp (with pvp minerals) gets opened up on at least one of these , I would enjoy that immensely I think (I loved lootable pvp the most when it was surivivalist i.e before the oversupply of hermes, amps and tiers)

If I wasn't doing missions I might be mining full time. Collecting + analyzing data from hunting and mining is an additional hobby of mine, but I understand that few other people share this interest.

Back