Disable the ability to ride or drive vehicles by newbie!

Infinity01

Stalker
Banned
Society
Freelancer
Space Infinity01 Time
I know this would be a bit controversial... but I think it'll have good impact on EU for the longer term.

In real life, getting a driver lincense. or ability to drive is a matter of pride. It's an important goal, and after achieving it one feels proud of it.

In EU we can have the same effect. Just like in real MA should not allow newbies to ride or drive any vehicle. They have to earn the ability to ride and then ability to drive. At first may be on the land only... and later air. and finally to space.

I think the best way to implement is .. a new player has to have all the tps to ride/drive (or may be the ability to ride only after completing 50% of the tps including acquaring 4 tps farthest apart on a planet) a boat or car. Alternatively they have to graduate to get the permission. Once they get the permission to drive and get all the tps.. then allow them to fly or go to space.

The impact:

I think if implemented right this will have a positive impact on EU

1. all new players will have an important goal that is the ability to ride and drive vehicles. It's has both usefulness and a cool factor. Both are perful motivator of doing things

2. As it'd be linked to getting tps or graduation it should have positive impact on social interaction.

3. It'll bring back the fun of doing tp run the old-fashion way... that will increase bond btwn a disciple and mentor ... and will increase social interaction especially among soc m8.

4. It'd keep a bit more advanced players (non grinder or one with low ped card more engage in the game) by helping the new players getting tps... and less likely to feel frustrated.. and whine in the forum.

5. As the ability to ride/drive are important useful goal, and has some cool factor, players will likely to get the tps or graduate faster... meaning MA will have more decay at a faster rate.

6. Finally, coz of more interaction among players, soc m8, and mentors/disciples.. I think the bond would be stronger...and players retention would be higher.

Those are my suggestions, and the outcomes of it. I think these are all positive.. and I really dont' think any harm coming out of this approach. However, I could be wrong! So please chime in.. point out the adventages or disadventages of this approach.. and how to improve on it!

Last edited:
Controversial, yes.
Agreeable...also.

I think this would be a good idea. I had LOADS of fun trying to do TP runs on my own and with friends, it's a bonding experience if you will. An experience which was lost due to vehicles. It would not be bad if it were to return.

Perhaps becoming a passenger would be skillbased, for instance based on sweating skill, and becoming a driver could be triggered by:
- ability to be a passenger
PLUS
- a certain level in a certain other skill
PLUS
- performing a particular quest, which provides a driving license as a reward

And then quests for types of vehicles:
- Driving license
- Boating permit
- Flying permit

YES! I Agree!!! We should make it soooooo damn hard for newbies to like this game (Cause its soooo easy to play already) so they will quit and we can all have Calypso to ourselves! HAHAHAHHA ;)

YES! I Agree!!! We should make it soooooo damn hard for newbies to like this game (Cause its soooo easy to play already) so they will quit and we can all have Calypso to ourselves! HAHAHAHHA ;)

I don't think graduation or getting the tp's are too hard.. even a non depositor can get all the tp's.

Having it as a goal/achievement would make it more interesting...and would be a powerful motivator.

Also the social bonds it'd create will incease retention rate...

Definitely should happen [I seem to remember suggesting this when vehicles were first introduced].

A vehicle licence or permit as part of the mentoring system?

Well personally I still do not agree. It is already hard enough for a new player to decide to deposit into a game. Imagine.. Your new to the game. You hear about all these wonderful stories of cars , spaceships and helicopters etc.. you register.. deposit to buy.. Find out you can't drive cause you are not "qualified". This may be somewhat a deterrent plus I am sure based on the demographics of the players most do not want to take a driving test again. Lets keep certain things simple as it is hard as it is already I feel. Even with a vehicle it is quite a task to discover everything. Just an opinion..

I totally get your point Infinity but i don't think this should be done with basic vehicles.

In fact i would rather like to see new players getting a (L) buggy (untradeable, low TT, one seat, no guest list and inventory) for free at start and maybe a small boat too. Then they could mine a bit oil on the rookie missions and have some fun driving around.

Maybe for everything bigger and all flying vehicles it could be a good idea though.

The more restrictions you put on a new player the more likely they are to quit before they even get started.

Personally I did most of the tp's run solo, with little or no help. I had a map of their locations and initially no armor or weapons.

I don't like being forced into a position I don't want to be in and being forced to take part in the mentoring system to be able to drive a vehicle I would have quit. I don't like being told what to do or how to play a game, I'll ask and take advice when I choose to.

As Leona has said the vehicles can be a lot of fun (if only they were 2 or 3x faster) and would lead to more people staying. And it's the boring intro as a newbie that causes many to quit not just the high costs compared to a standard fps game.

The fun comes from driving the vehicle not being the passenger.

Last edited:
I like this idea :) It was challanging and more fun getting all the TPs before vehicles. After a certain VU I lost like 30-40 TPs(not sure why). It took me less than 5 hours to get them all back with Sleipnir(kinda boring).

From MA point of view: make the newbie steps as easy (and maybe unfair to older players) as possible = bigger chance of a deposit.

I understand where you comming from, but i dont like the idea for two main reasons.

1. Those players that hang out near the new player tp port Atlantis. Offering players 1ped per 1000m or something like that.

2. You have many outpost that between TPs that are nightmare if you get stuck there.

Dont know about future effect if using vheicle is alloved or not but Infinity01 idea is pretty valid and remind me about how TP run shud be done.

Please avoid doing newcomers TP runs by vheichles, wormholes or similar.
Give more of your time to newcomers as a gift.

TP run shud be done only by walking, runing, swiming.
If possible in small group and ofc helped with few experineced players or possible mentors.

They will learn map and wich mobs are there, to avoid mobs and keep certain distance.
They will learn to use radar, to die and revive.
They will learn to interract with other players in group.
They will have enought time to ask questions and get answers.
Each TP will be achievement in for them - because they worked for it.

I think that anyone who help newcomer in TP run by Vtol steal unique experience and great addventure newcomer cud have by doing it by walking.

While I understand your points why you want to have this rule, I think it goes against everything entropia stands for. If a noob logs in for the first time and want to buy a vtol and fly around, he should have that option. Just as a noob can chip in thousands of dollars of skills on day one.

No, you gotta have transpo in this game now. Im sure as hell not running all my disciples to tps. No driving, thats ok I guess, but they need to be able to ride to get tps and do quests. :cowboy:

I remember dying, what seemed like a million times :mad: just trying to get the TP's around Atrox Ally. But I can look back now and laugh. The skills I earned,to me, were well worth it.And we still laugh 18 months later.Most newbies now MISS out on all those skills and knowledge of the Mobs and the land.
Beanie BugBear, myself and 2 friends who told us about the game, made sure and helped us get every TP on Calypso, we did this within the first month, and we RAN every single TP :)
And we also have every TP on all the other Planets.
Our old SOC (The Knights of Calypso)made it a Mandatory Part of the rules Section, you had to have at Least 26 TP's with 8 Mandatory TP's and Recruits would be tested for Promotion after a certain amount of time.
We always had TP runs happening, much fun was had and we shot mobs in front of us and sometimes Gloabled, this was all skilling for the New players.But try get a TP run happening now, Impossible, they say why Run I have a Vehicle :rolleyes:

So I am in 2 minds, as I really love all my Vehicles
But maybe having New Players do a test before they can get Vehicle (might) work. But the game has got decidedly more difficult (or Expensive) for new players to even think about staying.
Thats my 2 cents worth :)

most (real) gamers dont cheat even if they can when playing games.. some play and try to beat the game, for some its all about the experience.. let them chose themself what to do... ffs!

No, you gotta have transpo in this game now. Im sure as hell not running all my disciples to tps. No driving, thats ok I guess, but they need to be able to ride to get tps and do quests. :cowboy:

Why...?
What changed compared to when vehicles weren't there...? I spent weeks getting the TP's, and it was considered normal.

No, I wouldn't like restrictions to freedom of movement... I'd rather see them introduce a driving skill that makes you able to drive more efficently if at a higher level (although if leveling was done by driving it'd make it too easy to exploit for quick skilling by autodriving)

I like the idea. Calypso without vehicles was more of an adventure than it is today.

:girl:

Entropian Epa Tractor

In Sweden we have something called an Epa Tractor.
That's a heavily modified vehicle with a very strict speed limit.
They can be operated on public streets by youngsters from the
age of 16 after they obtain a special drivers license.

Maybe Entropia needs a range of Epa tractors?

In Sweden we have something called an Epa Tractor.
That's a heavily modified vehicle with a very strict speed limit.
They can be operated on public streets by youngsters from the
age of 16 after they obtain a special drivers license.

Maybe Entropia needs a range of Epa tractors?

In my city, a fairly large proportion of those under 25+ seem to use skateboards or bikes. Sadly, they haven't become aware of the advantages of TP chips.

The more restrictions you put on a new player the more likely they are to quit before they even get started.

Personally I did most of the tp's run solo, with little or no help. I had a map of their locations and initially no armor or weapons.

I don't like being forced into a position I don't want to be in and being forced to take part in the mentoring system to be able to drive a vehicle I would have quit. I don't like being told what to do or how to play a game, I'll ask and take advice when I choose to.

As Leona has said the vehicles can be a lot of fun (if only they were 2 or 3x faster) and would lead to more people staying. And it's the boring intro as a newbie that causes many to quit not just the high costs compared to a standard fps game.

The fun comes from driving the vehicle not being the passenger.

I don't think that the sense of restriction or enforcement is a valid argument. All games rely on the fact that you can only do things once you have the skills or after you've done other things - a bit like life really. All that is being suggested here is that the existing practice is extended to vehicles.

[mind you, I haven't yet been mentored. Like you, I wouldn't like to be forced into that. I would guess that MA would introduce a system similar to what happened when the driving test was first introduced into the UK - those who already had a licence didn't have to take the test)

From MA point of view: make the newbie steps as easy (and maybe unfair to older players) as possible = bigger chance of a deposit.

I would agree with that in a way.

The newbie does need to be tempted, and there does need to be unfairness to older players. But I don't think that the newbie's steps should be easy, not in a game where the gameplay is so vastly lengthy.

The temptation should be in form of the core (ie money, peds), and then in the prospect of the bells and whistles (eg vehicles). Part of the problem in the game, it seems to me, is the amount of resistance that a lot of people here in the forums (also an attitude on Calypso itself) have to the idea of extending credit to non-depositors. We should be pouring money into sweat gathering, and other things, for newbies.

Many of you are against it coz you feel that it'd create hardship. restriction to newbies and would discourage them.

Actually my thinking is totally opposite. I think it'd give a goal it's reasonably harder (but can be achieved by every body). in the end players get a very useful reward and will have a sense of achievement. Almost everything we do in EU or any game for that matter revolves arround those factors! If something is very easy we are not attracted by them.. and don't feel a sense of accomplishment.

Also both acquiring TPs or graduations will require few wks. Those things (TP's and graduation) are good enough to keep them engage in the game for some time.. while they learn the game. They'd learn about the mobs, terrain, team hunting. They would socialize. Many of you think the game is complex, yes I agree with that. But when newbies do things together with more advanced players give them the best opportunity to learn this complex game faster.

I'll never forget about a fellow entropian i met during a tp run back in 2009 (when i was a <30 day old noob) who bought very expensive weapons (he couldnt use) and armor. He was shooting very slow. Both of us were of same age... but I noticed it first that he was firing at a much slower rate than me (I was using opalo)...and then someone else figured it out that he was not skilled enough. In the end both of us learned something new.

EU has not expanded more despite addition of space, vehicles, and new planets. Have you considered the possibility that it was in part due to the lack mentorship and socialization aspect in EU after VU10? A loner is more likely to quit as opposed to someone who has engaged in soc and group activties!

Also, while doing tp runs people do hunt, but the rate of decay is much slower. As a result, cost to play / month gets lower. So, IMO this is another way to decrease the cost to play for both newbie and advanced players while having fun!

So, overall, I think, this will have positive impact in almost everyway, be it learning about the mobs, terrain, hunting, teaming, socializing. Even it might decrease the cost to play for all. In the end all these are likely to increase retention rate... both for new players and older players.

Last edited:
I know this would be a bit controversial... but I think it'll have good impact on EU for the longer term.

In real life, getting a driver lincense. or ability to drive is a matter of pride. It's an important goal, and after achieving it one feels proud of it.

In EU we can have the same effect. Just like in real MA should not allow newbies to ride or drive any vehicle. They have to earn the ability to ride and then ability to drive. At first may be on the land only... and later air. and finally to space.

I think the best way to implement is .. a new player has to have all the tps to ride/drive (or may be the ability to ride only after completing 50% of the tps including acquaring 4 tps farthest apart on a planet) a boat or car. Alternatively they have to graduate to get the permission. Once they get the permission to drive and get all the tps.. then allow them to fly or go to space.

The impact:

I think if implemented right this will have a positive impact on EU

1. all new players will have an important goal that is the ability to ride and drive vehicles. It's has both usefulness and a cool factor. Both are perful motivator of doing things

2. As it'd be linked to getting tps or graduation it should have positive impact on social interaction.

3. It'll bring back the fun of doing tp run the old-fashion way... that will increase bond btwn a disciple and mentor ... and will increase social interaction especially among soc m8.

4. It'd keep a bit more advanced players (non grinder or one with low ped card more engage in the game) by helping the new players getting tps... and less likely to feel frustrated.. and whine in the forum.

5. As the ability to ride/drive are important useful goal, and has some cool factor, players will likely to get the tps or graduate faster... meaning MA will have more decay at a faster rate.

6. Finally, coz of more interaction among players, soc m8, and mentors/disciples.. I think the bond would be stronger...and players retention would be higher.

Those are my suggestions, and the outcomes of it. I think these are all positive.. and I really dont' think any harm coming out of this approach. However, I could be wrong! So please chime in.. point out the adventages or disadventages of this approach.. and how to improve on it!

Nice idea and I do understand your point but …
Firstly I want to say, no player should be restricted or be denied any future of Entropia Universe.
Only by their skills as it is currently the case with weapons and tools.

1. I cannot see any benefit of restricting a new player using an vehicle other then it might raise the MU of vehicles a bit.

2. I think the opposite is true. I would greatly restrict the movement of new players unless they get the aid of other. I do not know if you are aware of what kind of creatures new players these days face. An teleport run to Billy’s Spaceship after world is these days a lot more harder than in the old days. Now they face, atrox and warriors along the way. Very doubtful now that any new player reaches Billy’s alive trying it alone. Only two teleporters I can think of they could reach fairly safe is Orthos West Mound and Chugs Hide Out. After that it becomes almost impossible for new players to run these alone on foot. Between Chugs and Zychion one is now faced with neconu as high as guardians. Fort Fury, good luck with all those big Feffoids and Atrox. I can be done, but doubt full any new player will reach it alive. Same with Jurra Plateu, they face, Droka, Ambulimax and atrox from Chugs. Not to mention all the mountains they face now. In the old engine it was mostly flat terrain one had to go across. Out running an slower creature like molisk, is now almost impossible up hill.

3. I do know from experience as former society leader, that many player prefer to try out the game as freelancer and alone. Forcing new players the need of an mentor or society in order to be able to drive a vehicle, will most likely result in a larger number leaving the game before the deposit. Not to mention there are quite a few players who prefer to play as loner and avoid social interaction as much as possible.

4. It is well known that many more advanced players do not bother with new players.
Don’t believe me ? Have a look at swamp camp, visit it daily and see how many advanced players spend time there. I think it’s about one dozen a week at most and mostly for a short time. And no I do not count the statues that stand all week at the PA marina and answer a few questions. It’s a far cry from old swamp camp and I think this will not change at all unless Mindark makes drastic changes there.

5. Are you aware where some of these teleporters are located and what is surrounding them ? Again quit a few teleporters are now almost impossible to reach for new players on foot without any help. Try Fort troy, a pain on in the old engine now almost impossible. Not to mention some teleporters on Amethera. Good luck in getting from Nate Valley to Sakura City or Rei’s Defence in your OJ’s, even with my current skills that would be a nice task to accomplish. Not to mention Segna Forrest, plenty of mobs there they kill them with one hit and land them in the middle of an Hogglo or Prot LA.

6. Again like I mentioned under point 4, not all players want social interaction.

It might be fun for mentors and societies, but it would be wrong to restrict any future for anyone in this game. Also forcing new players to interact with others I find rather rude. They will come on their own when they are ready for it. And that is how it should be. Vehicles have done a lot of good and bad for the game, but they are here and everyone should be able to use them even an one minute old player if he/she wants to.

I do understand your point. ;) I had great fun running all my teleporters alone in the old engine. But times have changed whether we like it or not. Some will do the same thing as we did, other use vehicles, so be it.

Last edited:
I don't think that the sense of restriction or enforcement is a valid argument. All games rely on the fact that you can only do things once you have the skills or after you've done other things - a bit like life really. All that is being suggested here is that the existing practice is extended to vehicles.

[mind you, I haven't yet been mentored. Like you, I wouldn't like to be forced into that. I would guess that MA would introduce a system similar to what happened when the driving test was first introduced into the UK - those who already had a licence didn't have to take the test)

well I have to admit the old mentor system restricted peoples options, no automatic graduation, you couldn't chip skills in and you couldn't get rid of your mentor if they disappeared after locking you into it.

but EU isn't a normal game and I've always believed it's supposed to be platform for people to try to achieve what ever they want whenever they want even if it bites them in the arse, noob trying to kill a spider for the first time for instance. If someone chooses to go through mentorship then fine but it shouldn't restrict the options of people who don't.

When I hear people trying to restrict choice it annoys me a bit ;). And when restictions for whatever reason is used for the first time then it becomes easier to justify each time afterwards.

i agree .......as long it s for free

Just a random remark....

this thread is filled with quite well argued posts :) Great to see this happening.

On topic: Seeing the pros and cons mentioned here, I am still in favour of the suggestion, pretty much on the same reasoning as the threadstarter. However, my prior post in which I came up with some rudimentary system needs to be discarded.

Perhaps there should, indeed, be some basic vehicle for which no license is needed. Perhaps a scooter, or motorcycle... or hooverboard!

Move over Marty, we are going back... to the future!

I think it's normal to graduate before driving/flying anything IRL and the same goes for here. Could be part of the normal graduation process just like uve to do the tree things: mining, crafting & hunting. The fourth could be driving, boating or flying. Perhaps optional to do this without normal graduation for solo'ers.

Also I find it normal one can lose his/her license temporarily for abusing like when causing harm to others with vehicles (mobtrains, harrassment putting vehicles on top of people repeatedly when not desired etc).

Back