What we lost in Cryengine Update (Unreal 5 will most likely be similar)

True Juan

Marauder
Society
Cz-Sk Crows
True TJ Juan
Hi guys,

So since there are many people that have not been here when Project Entropia was updated to Cryengine. I thought we could demonstrate and set up a list of all the things that were lost due to the engine change so that people get a sense of what apocalypse :rocket: will come with Unreal 5 when it comes out (few years down the line ofcourse).

• great old music
  • vegetation (many weird types of plants/trees)
  • sky (was more alien before)
  • ability to sit and lie down (remember when we could slide due to a bug? :D )
  • Hadesheim (Old futuristic HUGE city)
  • Old PA, Old Twin Peaks, many cities destroyed
  • PVP cage in Twins (was so fun back then, ppl have spent lots of time in it - was close to TP and visible)
  • Epic Landgrabs (Yes lagfest, but the concept back then was an actual land-grab)
  • TP runs (There were no vehicles, so everything was done by foot so whenever you got to a new TP it was a big achievement)
  • Beacons / Strange signal (Beacons were much more fun and challenging)
  • Umbranoids wiped out.
  • actual walking distance changed, or the feel of distance was changed, before it "felt" like a lot bigger world.
  • many easter eggs removed, everything from the acid pools, to the 'oid traders, to the skeleton in the plane, etc.
  • the story line changed, went from a sci-fi story with a plausible story line to what we have now.
  • Competitions are gone, more a recent change but a BIG one in my opinion that will end Entropia.
  • The map changed so so much in the conversion, almost not even the same world anymore...
  • Estates and Landscape completely messed up
  • Port Atlantis being an easily navigable trading hub. It wasn't always the bloated monstrosity it is today
  • Flat terrains. Some land areas like neas used to be flat rather than the jagged hilly mess they are now
  • Pilots/hangers. Used to be just a few ships that people paid big bucks for to be able to sell passage for 25 peds a head. Those people got completely screwed out of their investment.
  • The old trade interface. There was something about the face to face trading and the "alright" or "uh uh" sound. Gave a real sense of the commerce going on around you.
  • The old Calypso/amethera map. They maybe retained 15% of how the original maps were laid out.
  • Facial animations. I think some are back but they didn't exist for years after the move
  • The new oxford art gallery where you could buy virtual and real art!
  • New mob reveals. Used to be a whole thing of looting parts.
  • All avatars body/facial settings were reset.
  • Jukeboxes in town.
  • Sweating with bare hands (no device used back then)
  • Animation and sounds from old trades.... “Alright” ... “Yeah”
  • Possibility to leave stuff on ground (It was possible to drop nearly all items from inventory)

There are many many more I cant think of so old-timers help me out here :)

Last edited:
"avatars talking giberish" still exists, just turn it on in options.

Totally agree with your list!

Add:
1. Umbra wiped out.
2. actual walking distance changed, or the feel of distance was changed, before it "felt" like a lot bigger world.
3. many easter eggs removed, everything from the acid pools, to the 'oid traders, to the skeleton in the plane, etc.
4. the story line changed, went from a sci-fi story with a plausible story line to what we have now.
5. Competitions are gone, more a recent change but a BIG one in my opinion that will end Entropia.
6. The map changed so so much in the conversion, almost not even the same world anymore...

several estates stopped working all together for about 2 years, including most booths in game. Most shops and apartments got flip flopped and moved further away from tp than they used to be. Hills showed up on flat LAs. Severalal estates ended up with ground or weeds in them where they touched the ground plane, making some completely inaccessible. At least one booth somehow ended up on the ceiling instead of the floor, so it was completely upside down. It was a horrible mess. Vu 10 created most of the mess. Then it got fixed a bit, then Medusa came and it all started over again. I think the estates database is somehow all linked in to some array or something so when they start screwing with adding new content it messes up old content or something.

The talking gibberish when someone is typing can still be enabled in the options.

Also pretty sure land grabs are still a thing... There's a section in the events panel.

As for things we lost...
  • Port Atlantis being an easily navigable trading hub. It wasn't always the bloated monstrosity it is today
  • Flat terrains. Some land areas like neas used to be flat rather than the jagged hilly mess they are now
  • Pilots/hangers. Used to be just a few ships that people paid big bucks for to be able to sell passage for 25 peds a head. Those people got completely screwed out of their investment.
  • The old trade interface. There was something about the face to face trading and the "alright" or "uh uh" sound. Gave a real sense of the commerce going on around you.
  • The old Calypso/amethera map. They maybe retained 15% of how the original maps were laid out.
  • Facial animations. I think some are back but they didn't exist for years after the move
  • The new oxford art gallery where you could buy virtual and real art!
  • New mob reveals. Used to be a whole thing of looting parts.

Last edited:
We lost our Avatar's look.
All avatars body/facial settings were reset.

In hour long reconfigurations we tried to rebuild the looks we loved so much before.

[Edit:]
Oh, and we lost the unique cool black-mat of the original shadow armor!
Now the armor shines bright like a lubed black suppository.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up about gibberish - removed it from list :) (Didnt know it was an option, never looked)

Added rest to the list :)

The feeling of the game changed. It felt more alien sci-fi back then. Like you said, different music, sky, environments.
The graphics of our avatars and gear were updated to look more realistic, but lost some of its magic.

It is a shame that there is no Hub on calypso where people trade or actually meet to socialize. That was a big thing back in the day.
I'm not sure if its because PA was changed or because players now are spread over several planets.

The feeling of the game changed. It felt more alien sci-fi back then. Like you said, different music, sky, environments.
The graphics of our avatars and gear were updated to look more realistic, but lost some of its magic.

It is a shame that there is no Hub on calypso where people trade or actually meet to socialize. That was a big thing back in the day.
I'm not sure if its because PA was changed or because players now are spread over several planets.
I think part of it is the fact that they setup global channels. There really isn't much of a need for mass amounts of people to stand around peddling wares anymore when they can just blast it out on the trade channels. Additionally noobs have rookie chat so they don't need to find groups of people.

Top level thinking would suggest adding in more reasons for people to socialize, but that's the thing about EU as much as it's MMO we're all just going it solo 99.9% of the time.

Also pretty sure land grabs are still a thing... There's a section in the events panel.
Yes there is a "landgrab" but its monopolized by one society while before there were several sociaties fighting for the lands.
I believe there should be some change to this (But thats a topic for a different thread :) )

I also believe that the problem with the socializing is the layout of "towns". (Layout of towns (or rather call it OUTPOSTS) in this game is terrible imo)
PA layout was much better before when it was basically a bunch of squares.
Twin peaks also had a much better layout before.
I sure hope the layout in Unreal 5 will be better. (They have a chance to make it better, but dont have my hopes up).

We lost the old Nea's place outpost building; my favourite of the outpost buildings. Most of the towns in PE were far superior in design and unique features: Minopolis, Billy's, Jason Centre, Argus, New Oxford - to name but a few. I miss the atmosphere of Project Entropia.

Last edited:
I miss the animation and sounds from old trades.... “Alright” ... “Yeah”

My wife and I still make jokes about it to this day.

Don't forget about leaving things on the ground. Nothing like walking around and randomly finding a stack of ped.

Don't forget about leaving things on the ground. Nothing like walking around and randomly finding a stack of ped.
I remember the good times I had using shelving to get to mining claims on an inaccessible hilltop. Drop a counter to hide behind in PVP4 :-D

Added to the list :)

Dropping items was in cryengine

Dropping items was in cryengine

After reading through the OP I scrolled down to post this. OFC they broke the links too but this lasted until 2018 -

Very near my leaving absolutely pissed they were taking more and more out and refusing to fix any actual problems 🤔

index.php

Which came back first, hangars or pets?

Yeah it is a worry, MA bring in the new engine early, without losing part of the game or any professions.

I'm hoping software has improved considerably these days, so that MA can import it all over. Not worth stressing over what we can't control.

They either break it, or they don't. Wait and see I guess.

Yeah it is a worry, MA bring in the new engine early, without losing part of the game or any professions.

I'm hoping software has improved considerably these days, so that MA can import it all over. Not worth stressing over what we can't control.

They either break it, or they don't. Wait and see I guess.
Unreal engine will either be the best thing ever for the game helping it expand greatly or it will be the final thing that leads to EU no longer being a thing. All things considered I don't think they can half ass this and have it work out over time like with cryengine.

It seems to me that one of MA's mantras since CryEngine has been to spread people around the map and around the universe, probably in an effort to combat lag issues.

Every MMO has dealt with lag in their own way; EVE created time dilation to easy the load on servers; WoW created multiple servers with hard limits on the number of participants per each server, Entropiajust spread people around.

I like that MA never compromised on this point; Entropia is an MMO and as such, one of the main aspects of it is the multitude of other players. It should be possible to play with anyone you wish to, no matter where or when they started playing. So I like that they just sliced up the map and caused people to spread out so that the servers could handle it, but maitained the possibility to meet up with any other player. It doesn't work that way in WoW; your cousin or your real life friend could be playing WoW, and you might want to go play with him or her, but you xan't, because the server they are on is closed because it has the maximum number of players allowed. I think that ruins the MMO concept.

With Unreal 5, lag won't be as much of an issue anymore, because the engine is engineered NOT to waste resources rendering things that won't actually show on the screen. MA could start to move away from their design of spreading people far and wide and actually give people more opportunities to congregate.

I hope they do.

A huge amount of enjoyable stuff is not part of the RCE economics, most of which is ambience of one sort or another. I spent quite some time at the 'death' of my original looks taking screenies in front of pictures at New Oxford gallery, for example.
I may or may not do the same this time round, partly because virtual me refuses to look straight into the camera now. Sometimes I stand for a while, swapping between face to the left, face to the right in some kind of "I'm not talking to you" standoff... does anyone else have that?

Losing the dropping of stuff on the ground was indeed long after the switch to Cryengine, but I did have staches of hidden bits and bobs that survived for years in the envirnoment. I would stop by at remote locations occassionally to see if whatever bp or ME was still there. It made me feel more at home in the vast wastelands that I also enjoyed in their alienness. I thus very much hope we get back some of the stuff we have lost along the way, not just at that one point in time.

I would also find it cool to have a 'game' feature such as 'pick up the stache if the tt total is correct'. It could be set by a person dropping the first item somewhere. The next visitors could only drop new stuff next to it that was below the 'prize target'. There could be a drop timer limiting a person to one drop (or attempted drop) per hour, or whatever, to keep a player from rapidly trying to get the correct unknown tt value.

That sort of thing could be included, rather than removed, with a little fun thinking and time spent on fun features..... please?

Last edited:
Many textures.
Most my clothes and my sleipnir got fucked up with this update.

Uploaded videos and pics on displays were also messed up I think. So people that had things like fish tanks were no longer there.

on top of the older better entropia soundtrack and jukeboxes, you could actually edit the songs in game by simply taking another .mp3 and renaming it to the one you wanted to replace in the entropia folder.... so you could be listening to whatever you want through in game music.

Can’t forget the old and more exciting robot attacks!

and of course.. bring back the heart and soul of the oil rig!

I do fear for EU’s future if there is another step in the wrong direction here.

• Old PA, Old Twin Peaks, many cities destroyed
The feel of the busy cities was kinda lost mainly due to better chat options, the cities were busy because people were looking to sell and buy, not there are global trade channels for that and people can hunt or do whatever they want so I doubt these will ever feel the same way or even close to that, unless, MA forces us to go to such a hub by making NPCs in one place only. I'd like that to be honest, to have the daily temrinal, mayhem vendor and all entry NPCs in one location only to have it super busy. The reson they made the entries to mayhems global was because of the lag busy cities were causing and thus a lot of frustration but this might change with a new engine, no lag might allow them to want to find ways to get the players together and open new centres only if the crowd is getting too big.

Back