Calypso Gateway – an entry to a world of opportunity and adventure

Nice i will try to check it out. hope it will be better than other starter area's that if been in. Sorry if i can recall any of those games

And the storyline indicates, you died on the way over here and materialized at the revival point (remember the talk with the veteran). So I dont think colonists arrive at the ship.

I practically think you revive at the space station (gah forgot the name - was it Genesis?), and from there you used to arrive in Port Atlantis behind the big aeroplane.

I practically think you revive at the space station (gah forgot the name - was it Genesis?), and from there you used to arrive in Port Atlantis behind the big aeroplane.

Exodus Space Station

I thought I'd try out the missions on gateway, so I tried to think like a new player and give it the full noob treatment.

1st. Movement. I'm guessing as an established player this will be handled by the startup process and let me know what to press.

2nd. The npc's look like normal players no special icons above their heads to point them out, that needs changing (same goes for the mission brokers planet side). How's a noob supposed to know which is player and which is npc?

3rd. Honestly I think we need established players there otherwise I just think that new players will be left confused and wondering wtf they're supposed to be doing. It might be because I'm an old player tp'ing to gateway so didn't get the real noob introduction but I was just left on the tp thinking 'ok what do I do now?'

It needs a structure i.e. a lesson in how to play EU. It should walk the player through with simple instructions that appear on screen. So if the first task is to go to the information desk and speak to the officials then it should be flashing on radar and a big flashing arrow above the npc in question.

There needs to be far more interaction between the player and the system Hanne (I think) has already said there are plans for this so no point in carrying on, but things need to be made totally blatent and they're not.

For instance, doing the mining mission I clicked on the broker and got the equipment (no help in how to equip it :( ) I dropped all the bombs (all nrf as well) before I should have :yay: and only found out after clicking on the mission broker for the second time that I should be outside in the testing area dropping bombs I had just used :(.

For an introduction to FPC and Calypso it kinda works but as an introduction to EU it kinda fails. Honestly MA need to be doing this. They need to create their own planet to introduce players to basic concepts like the terminals, how to equip and the inventory. At the end of that let the player decide which planet they will to start on and then start with the introduction to each planet and its story.

Why not build it into the game so it runs locally, that way everything can be interactive but not put any strain on the servers. Like the avatar creation screen but as a self contained world. This way they can be shown how to buy things from the terminals, how to craft, how to mine, how to equip armor, how to drive :) and how to shoot with no need to worry about people doing things wrong. Stop them from entering EU proper until they've followed the list of things to do unless they choose to ignore them at which point they have to acknowledge the choice.

They should also get the option to run around with their avatar and see if it looks ok or not ;) and adjust it as many times as they like until they're happy. Why not allow players to try the area again (with certain things locked) if they want to, if we're going to beta test stuff then we need to try it out as well.

Last edited:
Humm i used the bombs before that i get the quest, so i can't finish it now...
A sort of unintended mechanic ?

and btw i couldn't extract all the lysterium i find with the tool :p

I wonder if you can HoF on the island...

Anyway, very good work there FPC. Just the mining problem is annoying :/

Some of the things mentioned in my Exploring Calypso Gateway article too! Ther'e are some 'features' which are not that thought through, and which will give the newcomers a bad experience ...

And that's a shame, because the place looks awesome and the whole idea behind is awesome too!

I wrote a guide for the gateway not sure if u saw me spamming chat with it...https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/missions/192093-gateway-missions-how-do-them-all.html but for those who havent gone up there yet and somehow bump into this thread pls read it.

Been there yesterday.
My gun wore out on the final 10 mob mission before I could kill 10.
I still had plenty of ammo. Suggest to make the value of the gun a few pec higher.

Dutchie.

nope didn't followed any guide, i did it in newbie style, there are lot of things that can make you do mistake there, and even more if you are a real newbie, but i am sure those things will be fixed by fpc ^^

Wow, this sounds pretty cool. Wish it was around when I was first starting out...

I wrote a guide for the gateway not sure if u saw me spamming chat with it...https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/missions/192093-gateway-missions-how-do-them-all.html but for those who havent gone up there yet and somehow bump into this thread pls read it.

but what happens when its closed to existing players? all newbies are left to get on with it and if they haven't seen your guide on EF (I never heard of EF when I started) then they'll probably skip most things or quit before even really starting, unless Emma and Simon are manning the place 24x7 then most will be left on their own.

Some of the common questions in the arrival area at PA were how to move and often people had to be told how to chat. The old players won't be there to tell anyone and new players will login to an empty.

EU doesn't use the standard keyset for FPS', I bet most would expect to press space for jump and anyone doing that they'll be left with the mouse cursor active and totally without a clue how to turn it back and why they're not turning when they move the mouse any more.

As an intro to FPC its good but not perfect and needs a few fixes. However MA really need to do an introductory section that explains the controls what terminals are, how to equip and unequip and what the hot key system is. I'm not saying they need to explain everything but atleast the basics otherwise EU will get an even worse rep for new players.

Personally I wouldn't ban existing players from going there, we're too valuable a resourse for any new ones and for FPC. Really the best option for now would be to have a sealed control room with only a tp and a revival terminal that you goto using the existing Calypso tp's so that they can atleast advise people but not fully interact, i.e. open trade or chat windows. That or you need to block all use of objects from Calypso.

Last edited:
but what happens when its closed to existing players? all newbies are left to get on with it and if they haven't seen your guide on EF (I never heard of EF when I started) then they'll probably skip most things or quit before even really starting, unless Emma and Simon are manning the place 24x7 then most will be left on their own.
No I know that SB. The guide was never intended for that purpose just for the now not then. But your right a basic movement tutorial wud be a gd addition. I wrote the guide so ppl up there NOW, wudnt be stuck. After which unless FPC takes on board some of our suggestions, it will be tough for them. Either way they're on their own up there as they almost wud be down on calypso.

I make sure at least twoo new players got to read your guide Rufen Power, they all finished the missions very wel and they are happy :)

Every gamers knows, there are walk throughs and cheat codes to be found on internet for any type of game, we dont need to worry much :)

good job i want visit nowww, the client is in download from many ours... uffff

Anyone "been" (like, know someone who've created a new avatar) there since they made the fixes and know what's changed?

It has been a couple months since last being mentioned, but any new information regarding the re-implementation of the Mentor program or even the Taming skill for that matter. I know MA says they will put all skills back they just don't know when. But a rough idea would be nice.

It has been a couple months since last being mentioned, but any new information regarding the re-implementation of the Mentor program or even the Taming skill for that matter. I know MA says they will put all skills back they just don't know when. But a rough idea would be nice.

Well last statement was, all missing content will be back at the end of the year.

Don´t know if MA/FPC really meant this year, or any other year in the future :cool:

Back