cheating Premium members?

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...icial-Thread&p=1322385&viewfull=1#post1322385

"...you get all the features as a premium member until such time we decide to change subscription - then you will keep whatever you had access to, but not get any new features."

:p

Some
Indeed.. And in the context of the question asked in the thread which (afair) was what happened to people who initially bought "premium membership" for 50 PED. And the answer is still valid. Thy still have access to everything they ever did. Now they just have to buy two different kinds of subscriptions with their 20 million credits.

:)

Indeed.. And in the context of the question asked in the thread which (afair) was what happened to people who initially bought "premium membership" for 50 PED. And the answer is still valid. Thy still have access to everything they ever did. Now they just have to buy two different kinds of subscriptions with their 20 million credits.

But that's like 10% of a yearly subscription, this wont even last for 100 years! This is nothing with today's advances in anti-aging science:

Listen to this on the "longevity escape velocity":

Some

Why not add some google advertising to the website instead of 5 ped subscriptions etc? I think you would make way more per user that way.

I am getting the no access message even though I bought the 30 days player info with my 50K gift credits.

Starfinder, have you managed to correct the fault that ignores globals within 5 minutes of each other even though of different amounts for the same player?

Not that much to do with the thread topic, but as I've lost several recently I'd welcome a reply.

so I cant even view my own largest globals anymore without paying 5 ped ? I have been running your tracker client and now you want me to pay ? This is ridiculous. I am sorry but your service in my opinion I can do without. It tells me nothing and is nothing more than ornate piecemeal or something for bragging rights. It doesn't get me globals. I am really annoyed by this. I hate unannounced changes. Goodbye entropia tracker, i no longer need you.

No, thats actually a part of the agreement with MA for allowing me to use "their" data on the site. Is that a person can always view his own globals is some form. So, CSV, XML or whichever other format I might think of in the future will always be free. If you want a nice overview with references links and so on. Then I can charge 102938 PED for that if I want. But the raw data will be free.

ok, so you take away the nice easy click to view my globals and now you make me download a file each time i want to see my list ? Thanks bud, real kind of ya.

http://titanicreloaded.eu/tools/EuHunter/

Ok, I've been going through my tracker to see what's available to me now, so, I can't view my own largest globals, favourite mobs, favourite minerals or favourite items without paying to do so?

Last edited:
so I cant even view my own largest globals anymore without paying 5 ped ?
Yes you can.. please read the thread...

ok, so you take away the nice easy click to view my globals and now you make me download a file each time i want to see my list?
No I dont. Please read the thread...

Ok, I've been going through my tracker to see what's available to me now, so, I can't view my own largest globals, favourite mobs, favourite minerals or favourite items without paying to do so?

Thats right. That wasent part of the premium membership.

Just to be crystal clear on the "OMG you are so greedy" trend thats happening here.

The server costs is about 100 USD / month for the dedicated machine, on-location tech personnel, Windows 2003 license, SQL 2005 enterprise license, 100/100 mbit line and so on...

At the moment the income from those who are happy to donate (i say donate because they still run the client) is about 0-60 USD / month.

This means that for the site just to "run non-profit" I need to find 40 to 100 USD somewhere... Each month. This is without factoring in the previously mentioned 20 or so hours I work on the site each week.

Someone mentioned that I should put google ads up on the site. Thats not possible because the entire site is behind a login page. And even if I made a "backdoor" for google to browse the site to figure out which ad's to put on the site.. I dont think the various numbers and "mob names" would provide google with anything useful. This is why there is no google ads on the site.

Frankly it saddens me to see people moan and whine as soon as they dont get a product for free. Some of the service is for free. If you want more - run the client (to get the majority of the site content) or pay 5 PED per month.....

Im beginning to get to the point where I just dont care anymore.. Not me whining, just stating the facts. Its rather discouraging to spend the huge amount of time I do coding the website, the client, android program, the API, the database structures and maintenance. Listening to suggestions and try to incorporate them into the site/client. Then trying to scrape together 100 USD each month so I dont also have to PAY to be able to provide you with this service. Then when my alternative streams of revenue (ads from google or "banners" on the site) proves not to be sufficient. I add a 5 PED subscription - people seem to want to rip off my head. In lack of a better word "Vultures/Vampires" comes to mind.

Tell you what. Go find another site.. Please..

Thank you for making the feature purchasable with gift credits, it is much appreciated.

Starfinder

I don't blame you at all for trying to get a bit of income for all your hard work. I do think that if you'd only announced this in advance, then the fedback here woould have been a lot more sympathetic. But, that said, this change really does need a bit more thought put into it.

I just found out that I can't view my own largest globals, favourite mobs, etc, anymore. never mind what it says on this thread. Any page that I don't have access to when I try to view other people's data, i don't have access to for myself either, except for the basic list. I think it would be smart to make this viewable at no extra cost, if you only want to view your own pages. This way, not only will it keep people happy, it will show them exactly what they would get (for everybody else) if they paid. It is hard to imagine these features til you actually see them.

Another small (but really annoying) point. The favourite mobs page gives your all-time total number globals at the bottom, which is a figure that really interests me. Now this figure used to be found for every ava on the Soc page, and I scoured the site for another instance of this figure, after the soc page was changed (to be less informative) but found that you could only view this figure for people who'd made it to the all-time-top-100, not yourself! (unless you happen to be one of those lucky few). So it was very welcome when that figure reappeared on the favourite mobs page. But now its gone again! Could you perhaps ensure that this figure is viewable, somewhere, for your own ava at least , without purchasing any of these new features? It doesn't seem too much to ask.

Re forum sigs: I see we now have to pay for forum sigs. Now, I stopped using my forum sig on any forum, but I do use the sig page to check up on the stats given in the sig, (total globals for the past month) which do not actually appear anywhere else on Tracker. Now, I might be willing to pay to see this info, but I don't want to pay for a forum sig (which seems a bit much) just to see this info. Can you put it somewhere else, besides in the sig?

Finally, as I said before, its really hard to envisage what a feature looks like before you subscribe to it. So maybe you would have a higher take-up if you could give links to sample pages of all purchasable features, on the site shop page? Some of these features are way cooler than you'd think from just a brief description!

jay:)

how about the globals that the tracker don´t track?

had the ET suite on, it captured the jpg of glob but the glob didn´t show at my page on ET site. a big feff that droped yesterday to someone and at sometime was 2º on hof list didnt show on ET either.

how can it miss the glob if i was online with ET suite open?! :scratch2:

Because everyone can get gift credits from running the client. :)

I don't.

As I said last time I contacted you about it, I could understand you "manually disabling my account in the code" if my system was stressing your server (which would have been sometime in early 2010), but since then I've replaced my harddrive and totally reinstalled the OS and all software, all to default specs.

I sent you back the info about my system you asked for, but when you didnt reply, and the gift credits remained blocked, I pretty much gave up , tho I've continued to run the client for screenshots etc.
It would have been interesting to know (after having changed hardware & doing a full reinstall), if the problem was still occuring at your end.

I'd be very surprised if it is, but if it is, I'd happy to work with you to find out what might be causing the issue.

I just found out that I can't view my own largest globals, favourite mobs, etc, anymore. never mind what it says on this thread. Any page that I don't have access to when I try to view other people's data, i don't have access to for myself either, except for the basic list. I think it would be smart to make this viewable at no extra cost, if you only want to view your own pages. This way, not only will it keep people happy, it will show them exactly what they would get (for everybody else) if they paid. It is hard to imagine these features til you actually see them.
Yeah. Perhaps. I'll do it so you can view your own largest globals without the player info thing.

Re forum sigs: I see we now have to pay for forum sigs. Now, I stopped using my forum sig on any forum, but I do use the sig page to check up on the stats given in the sig, (total globals for the past month) which do not actually appear anywhere else on Tracker. Now, I might be willing to pay to see this info, but I don't want to pay for a forum sig (which seems a bit much) just to see this info. Can you put it somewhere else, besides in the sig?
The old forum signatures with the info on has not changed. Its only the new forum signatures that costs 7.5 PED for 2 months. Also, the exact same stats are shown on "My globals" page.

Finally, as I said before, its really hard to envisage what a feature looks like before you subscribe to it. So maybe you would have a higher take-up if you could give links to sample pages of all purchasable features, on the site shop page? Some of these features are way cooler than you'd think from just a brief description!
Yes. Im working on a system that will help you decide what/if you should purchase anything on the site based on what you want to do with the site.

how can it miss the glob if i was online with ET suite open?! :scratch2:
It might happen if you global right the second a database maintenance is running. I will tweak the maintinance to only do maintenance on globals thats older than lets say 10 minutes.

I sent you back the info about my system you asked for, but when you didnt reply, and the gift credits remained blocked, I pretty much gave up , tho I've continued to run the client for screenshots etc.
It would have been interesting to know (after having changed hardware & doing a full reinstall), if the problem was still occuring at your end.

I'd be very surprised if it is, but if it is, I'd happy to work with you to find out what might be causing the issue.
I seem to recall I did open up your client to be able to feed again.. I might have opened up for another account lol.. Will have a look again today.

You can feed globals again. :)

Tyvm for the reply Starfiinder :) +rep

The old forum signatures with the info on has not changed. Its only the new forum signatures that costs 7.5 PED for 2 months. Also, the exact same stats are shown on "My globals" page.

Ah. So i can just carry on checking my stats on the sig page? :)
However, are you sure that the exact same stats are on the "My globals" page? I only see my total loot for all-time, not my total loot for the past month, nor do I see my total number of globals for the past month. The only signature stat that appears here (that I can see) is current rank.

I'm looking at the top of the page, under "Hunting stats" etc. I can't see any stats anywhere else on the page, just the list of globals. :scratch2:

jay :)

This means that for the site just to "run non-profit" I need to find 40 to 100 USD somewhere... Each month. This is without factoring in the previously mentioned 20 or so hours I work on the site each week.

Frankly it saddens me to see people moan and whine as soon as they dont get a product for free. Some of the service is for free. If you want more - run the client (to get the majority of the site content) or pay 5 PED per month.....

http://www.google.com/search?q=free...-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

If the cost of running it is too high... why not look for free or cheaper alternatives since there are tons of free website providers out there, some of which have nearly unlimited free space, unlimited bandwidth, allow sql and other types of databases, etc.

Since it's an "official" tool - maybe talk to 711 about webspace? He's trying deperately to make the entropians work... maybe he can work with you to integrate it all in to that? Maybe talk to Hanne and FPC|SEE|SDS|XYZ about hosting it on their servers since they made it an "official" tool... after all they bought entropiaforum's database not long ago... maybe they might buy other stuff too?

Think outside of the box.

I am still getting no access to largest global page etc even with the 30 day player upgrade (Which I have purchased twice with gift credits)

What is the ETA to get this fixed?

Since it's an "official" tool - maybe talk to 711 about webspace?
711 IS hosting the site. And his running costs are 100 USD / month.

I am still getting no access to largest global page etc even with the 30 day player upgrade (Which I have purchased twice with gift credits)

What is the ETA to get this fixed?
10 minutes..

10 minutes..

Ahhh it's been 15 minutes already!!

Whine! Whinge! Complain! :handgun::handgun::bs::bs::bs::guide::cowboy::hammer::poke::argue::argue::banghead::banghead::whip::rocket::rocket::rocket:

lol.. take your time, and don't worry, I believe programmers deserve to get paid :p

If the cost of running it is too high... why not look for free or cheaper alternatives since there are tons of free website providers out there, some of which have nearly unlimited free space, unlimited bandwidth, allow sql and other types of databases, etc.

Free hosting would never work for a site as demanding and resource-intensive as EntropiaTracker.com. Considering the traffic volume, the size of the database (tens of millions of rows), and the fact that rows of new data are constantly being added as new globals are recorded, page loads and site responsiveness for end-users on a free- or shared-hosting platform would be agonizingly slow. More likely is that starfinder would constantly be dealing with DB locking issues and corrupt tables, along with numerous complaints from users about inability to access the site (not to mention the complaints about all the invasive popups and advertisements that come with free hosting).

Also, starfinder has developed EntropiaTracker in .asp, and requires Microsoft SQL Server Workgroup, a license that costs upwards of $75 per month. No free or "bargain-basement" hosting service will give you access to MS SQL Server, since there is no way around the Microsoft licensing fee.

Since it's an "official" tool - maybe talk to 711 about webspace?

I have in fact been providing free hosting for EntropiaTracker since the very beginning.

During the very early stages of development, starfinder was hosting the site from home, on one of his old PCs. Since I already had a Windows dedicated server that was being used to host EntropiaRadio and Entropedia.info, and since I saw how useful starfinder's global tracking project would be to the EU community, I offered to host the site for him for free on the media server, and even offered the free use of a domain name very fitting for the project (EntropiaTracker.com). All that was needed by starfinder to host the project on my server was a license for MS SQL Server, which I agreed to add to my server for him.

Initially I provided completely free hosting for the project, and I paid the $75 Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Workgroup license fee out of my own pocket for the first year or so. Once starfinder began monetizing the site by offering premium services and upgrades, we agreed that it would be fair for him to help offset the MS license costs from a portion of any revenue generated by the site, and perhaps even a small portion of the dedicated server cost if possible (ET is by far the most demanding of the sites hosted on the EntropiaRadio server).

Nevertheless, and as starfinder has mentioned earlier in this thread, most months the gross revenue from ET is less than $75 per month, which basically means that I almost always end up subsidizing the shortfall. I have no problem with doing this, since I believe EntropiaTracker is a very valuable service to the community.

He's trying deperately to make the entropians work...

There is nothing "desparate" about my efforts related to Entropians.com. It is a fun little side project I launched a few days ago that I thought the EU community would find useful.

To get the word out about the new project, I have created a free event and run an in-game advertisement, both of which are fairly standard methods of announcing something to the EU community.

I don't see how either of those would qualify as "desparate". :scratch2:
As a matter of fact, I just noticed that I haven't even yet added a link to Entropians.com in my signature. Is that something a "desparate" promoter of something would neglect? :silly2:

maybe he can work with you to integrate it all in to that?

starfinder and I have already been discussing ways to offer the ability to have EntropiaTracker automatically post status updates to Entropians.com members' walls (for example when someone gets a HoF).

Maybe talk to Hanne and FPC|SEE|SDS|XYZ about hosting it on their servers since they made it an "official" tool...

Clarfication: EntropiaTracker is an officially approved tool, not an official tool (that's not the same thing).

after all they bought entropiaforum's database not long ago... maybe they might buy other stuff too?
Think outside of the box.

There is one big difference in this case: SDS already has access to (and possibly ownership of) all of the global data in ET's database and probably terabytes more, whereas they did not have access to any of the data in the EntropiaForum database.

711 IS hosting the site. And his running costs are 100 USD / month.

Actually, the monthly costs for the media server are quite a bit more than that (more than 3x more, in fact).

You and I agreed on $100 per month: $75 to cover the MS SQL Server license (a cost which wouldn't exist for me if ET were hosted elsewhere), and $25 for hosting.

$25/month is an incredibly nice deal for hosting on a very powerful dedicated server with a 1000 Mbit backbone internet connection, especially considering that your only "neighbors" on the server are EntropiaRadio.com and Entropedia.info, both of which are fairly low-traffic and use only a tiny amount of system resources in comparison to ET. :)

***NOTES***
To avoid any confusion: I have not in any way been pressuring starfinder to generate more revenue from ET.

I think many people really do not appreciate how much time and effort starfinder has put in to the EntropiaTracker project. By any definition, his work on ET is a "labor of love" and not something he is doing to make a profit.

I have read in this thread about the ET premium feature changes recently made by starfinder, and the reactions of some disgruntled ET members. I would just like to remind people that creating and maintaining a site as complex and full-featured as EntropiaTracker is no small task; I think starfinder should be applauded for his hard work on ET over the years. EntropiaTracker is a very professional and well-coded community resource that offers a wealth of features, data and information that would not be available to anyone without starfinder's hard work.

All things considered, I find the pricing of the premium features he is offering to be very fair indeed, and there is still a massive amount of data available to those who only use the free credits earned by running the tracker software, and even for those who don't contribute anything at all.

Also, starfinder has developed EntropiaTracker in .asp, and requires Microsoft SQL Server Workgroup, a license that costs upwards of $75 per month.

well i think i've found the root cause of the cost issue... :D try a cheaper platform next time :wise:

well i think i've found the root cause of the cost issue... :D try a cheaper platform next time :wise:

Actually, I would have to agree with you there.

I try to use open-source platforms for all of my projects (primarily PHP + MySQL). All of my servers are Unix-based, with the exception of the Windows Media Server that is used to host EntropiaRadio.com; one of the few things that Windows servers are good for is media streaming. In some ways, that was a blessing in disguise, since having that server available allowed me to offer free hosting to two very important EU community projects that are (unfortunately :silly2:) coded in .NET/ASP: Entropedia.info, and of course EntropiaTracker.com.

To say that I am not a big fan of .NET/ASP or anything else Microsoft/Windows based in a production environment would be a huge understatement. :censored:

That being said, .NET does offer a few advantages for developers in certain respects and it is very popular, especially with the younger generation of web developers (probably due in no small part to Microsoft giving kickbacks to universities that feature .NET in their computer science curriculum).

I am sure starfinder had good reasons for choosing to program the EntropiaTracker site in ASP/.NET (which lends itself better to MS SQL as a database backend than to a free solution such as MySQL), but I will let him explain those reasons himself.

thanks for the clarifications.

Im not a paying member of ET since i never really used it in any serious way, and do not play much.

But starfinder is contributing to the community in a big way. as a community we should all help to contribute in a whole. If that meens paying for a service like ET to help upkeep it, if your using it daily, and not helping to keep this service alive is greedy not by starfinder, But the active users.

Besides its a low amount of money. you waste way more than 5 ped on auction fee's inside entropia each month, For what?.

And thumps up to starfinder and 711 for contributing with both money and many frustrating coding hours, To help other players keep track of their ingame activities. And supplying informations to databases for us to see

Its these special few people which the community owes many thanks, For providing information, databases, Entertainment, and places to gather. And are one of the big reasons why Entropia Universe is the game & community it is, And always had a rumor of being.

Reactions: 711
That being said, .NET does offer a few advantages for developers in certain respects and it is very popular, especially with the younger generation of web developers (probably due in no small part to Microsoft giving kickbacks to universities that feature .NET in their computer science curriculum).
Hehe.. we did also have classes in java by the way. But yes, the focus was on .NET. :)

I am sure starfinder had good reasons for choosing to program the EntropiaTracker site in ASP/.NET (which lends itself better to MS SQL as a database backend than to a free solution such as MySQL), but I will let him explain those reasons himself.
I dont know PHP (look above) and im not sure PHP can do webservices.
Secondly we were always thought that MSSQL + .NET > MYSQL + .NET.
Of course its only a very small part of the system thats actually running .NET the rest is in asp.

I, however, plan to change the pages (over time) to .NET which is quite a bit faster than ASP (visual basic), at which point the MSSQL database would be even more "the right choice" (disregarding the costs).

I prolly could do the database in MYSQL but im pretty sure that I would have to rewrite all the SQL statements which uses rather complex MSSQL syntax and functions. Something that would take "forever". :)

This however is a touchy subject as people have just about as strong feelings towards programming languages as some people have in imaginary people sitting in the clouds - so lets leave it there... :)

Had to +rep 711 for that clarification

I also agree with NoBion that 5 PEd a month is very little to pay for all the old premium Member services :) And i do plan on paying that 5 PEd a month (just holding back, atm. so I can see exactly what happens if I don't). Must add a bit of clarifation here, myself though:

A) its currently unclear if paying 5 PED a month would get us to keep all the services that Premium members have come to expect , though that does seem to be the intention. In practice, its somewhat confusing atm, and this does need thrashing out

B) Its not necessarily true that existing Premium Members have not contributed anything. Some of us actually bought Lifetime Premium Membership in the early days of tracker, at a bargain price (100 PEd, was it?). When Starfinder changed to the Gift Credit system, we were awarded more than enough Gift Credits, in lieu of this, to last us into a ripe old age and beyond (if we can only figure out how to take it with us :laugh: )

Now, I'm more than happy to add more to the bit I already paid, as the need for more income is clear and reasonable, but I can see that Starfinder has put himself in an awkward position here. How the heck does he honour his previous offer, without being absurdly generous to those who never paid a bean? :scratch2: And thus forgoing any further income ? Both sets of people are maintaining Premium Membership on Gift Credits. The system as it is does not discriminate.

jay :)

Last edited:
Back