Day & Night

Would you like to see Day/Night cycles on Calypso

• Total voters
Iv just put in a suggestion case, if that helps anything :laugh:
Maby it would be worth starting up a campaign for people to submit suggestion cases to MA, and swamp them ;)
That would be a more direct approach, as MA might not even read this thread.

Iv just put in a suggestion case, if that helps anything :laugh:
Maby it would be worth starting up a campaign for people to submit suggestion cases to MA, and swamp them ;)
That would be a more direct approach, as MA might not even read this thread.

Good idea :D Going to send a support case right away :wtg:

When u send support cases be sure to include a link to this thread...

and dont worry when the vote count reaches 200 i will be sure to make MA read this ... as far a i know Marco has been seen browsing the thread already :)

yes, please :D

hmm.. if eudoria and amethera are totally opposite sides of calypso you could always play at night/day, if somebody doesnt like night, ie kids who are afraid of dark :D

also if they add night it doesnt have to be so dark that you cant see a thing without a nice nightvision goggles or handy torches :cool:

that would be a pretty cool feature and would be nice to have
but honestly id rather have MA spend their time fixin bugs and stuff

yes, please :D

hmm.. if eudoria and amethera are totally opposite sides of calypso you could always play at night/day, if somebody doesnt like night, ie kids who are afraid of dark :D

also if they add night it doesnt have to be so dark that you cant see a thing without a nice nightvision goggles or handy torches :cool:

You make a VALID point here with continents being on oposite sides of the planet :D great concept...

also please reffer to some screenshot links i posted before from another MMORPG to show u how well made night can be ... everything turns into a shade of grayish-blue maining u still can se everything like on a well lit starry night and dosent affect the gameplay performance at all :)

Ido

Just do it

Come on Marco, lets get this implemented!!

200 votes reached and i have officialy sent a request to MA to review the thread and possibly get an official representative to post a response here :)

But dont stop voting people :) the more votes we have the bigger chance MA will take this seriously !!!

Just finished casting my Yes vote. Its a great idea, and for those people who dont like the idea of day and night, my simple suggestion would be this:

Amethera and Eudoria Located on exactly opposite sides of calypso. 4 hour cycle. The 2 hours that Eudoria is at night, Amethera is in daytime, and Vice versa. The justification in terms of Calypso lore? The teleports at Port Atlantis and TI/New Oxford interact between each other through the core of Calypso, rather than going ineffeciently round the outer surface of the planet.

yeah the day and night cycles have been well made in other mmorpg i tested,
it just gets a bit darker but you can see everything, maybe not so farther than at midday but still, and the day and night changes pretty often

Bump

*Bump*

Come on this would be great.... get voting people!!

i voted yes cause it would be really nice to see:)

but the question that MA might pose is: will that take a lot of server resources and cause lag or something..

maybe not the day night thing, but the waether will probably cause some lag:confused:

I dont see the benefit of this. Waste of time and resources which could be used elsewhere. Someone please enlighten me? :)

Benefits is getting more immersed into the virtual world ...

And if LAG is concerend
day and night WOULD NOT CAUSE ANY LAG!

Since the system would calculate the color and angle of light on your machine it wouldnt cost much more than it already does.. since it already calculates how the light is laid out (and we DO have somehow dynamic lights u can see it in appartments) im 100% sure the additional few calculations wouldnt cause any visible degradation of performance...

and surely no LAG in comunication to the server...

How do i know this? well im a software engineer and i happened to have a chance to build a whole FPP/TPP game engine similar to PE wich included dynamic light, day/night system, dynamic weather effects such as rain snow fog, particle systems, and rigid object dynamics...

and i can ASSURE you coding of day and night would take a few hours at most... and like i mentioned a few posts back someone said the engine MA is using for PE already has this implemented so all they would have to do is enable it and maybe do a few tweaks to the code so its optimized for their solution ...

Im quite certain this wouldnt cost them that much time and if done correctly would only benefit the expirience we have when playing ... they could even make it so that when its daytime its bright in the appartments and u have to turn on the lights at night :) would be so sweet ...

Ok Ok

Shunn to all the non-belivers

I have dug out a old version of the project i did mentioned in the post above ... unfortunatly i dont have the final project on this computer and wont bother to try to locate it right now i just want to show u that its doable and dosent reaquire much effort actually ...

So lets see ... first for some dynamic weather...

Rain anyone?
[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

And now for a day/sunset/night/sunrise series these are not pimped out as they could be but i think they demonstrate the fact u can actually see at night and u can see that its not really that hard to make light shine from the direction of the sun (sunset slope of hill is lit, sunrise is behind the hill so the slope is shadowed)

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

dont mind the FPS count since the system wasnt optimized in that version (lots of useless renderings) and bear in mind the night slide can be made brighter by changing one or two integer values that control the light intensity and adding a starry night texture to the sky so it dosent look pitch black :p

Feel free to ask questions if u might have any...

and yes MA i would be happy to do this for u but if working for you would mean i would not be allowed to participate in EU then sorry but i choose to participate :) and u will have to ask ur coders to do all the work

day and night WOULD NOT CAUSE ANY LAG!

Prediction #1:
nth support cases about how loot sucks during day/night.. :p

Prediction #2:
nth post about how different loot is during day/night time and how unbalanced
it is. :p

time will tell :)

Prediction #1:
nth support cases about how loot sucks during day/night.. :p

Prediction #2:
nth post about how different loot is during day/night time and how unbalanced
it is. :p

time will tell :)

I dont think day and night would have to affect the loot system :p im sure it can stay just the same ... but only the visual efects of the sourounding world could change

There has be an "on" and "off" option to see day cycles or not. Hunters and miners would probably not like to muddle around in the dark and that would hurt MA's income as well. A day cycle is fun but only for people who want to enjoy the atmosphere and ambiance.

I don't have any opinions about lootable pvp hence I don't care if it goes either way.

I also would prefer more work being done on Item balancing before this.

I also would prefer more work being done on Item balancing before this.

Item balancing and implementation of such system is done by seperate teams of MA Employees so spending time on this wouldnt mean that they wouldnt also spend time on blancing :)

Item balancing and implementation of such system is done by seperate teams of MA Employees so spending time on this wouldnt mean that they wouldnt also spend time on blancing :)

This would be true in a large company :) in MA, I'm not so sure. After all, their public rep spends most of his time not representing MA lol

Besides, more items means more item designs and graphics = system work. ^^

This would be true in a large company :) in MA, I'm not so sure. After all, their public rep spends most of his time not representing MA lol

Besides, more items means more item designs and graphics = system work. ^^

im 100% sure The guys that work on the engine and game code dont work on the blancing managers team who decides item dage decay drop rate and such and im sure also they are not the artists that create 3D models and 2D icons for the items :p

i read many info's from MA in the past about expanding teams having a new development team and so on and so forth...

I hope this gets implemented :) I generally like night encounters, An atrox pounces out of nowhere and starts chewing your arse, :laugh:, you pull out your favourite gun and blast it to bits, or slash it with your sword... Medievil style :D

It's all the more terrifying as you can barely make out the Atrox...

I would love a day/night cycle! Definitelly yes!

no i dont think day night would be good idea, but to have area's that are dark all the time, now thiers something that be great laugh,

MAbey no radar in the area too :D

no i dont think day night would be good idea, but to have area's that are dark all the time, now thiers something that be great laugh,

MAbey no radar in the area too :D

why wouldnt it be a good idea? Just curious...

Yes plz!!! I voted yes now, and yes back when it was up in the vote terminals. I would really like day/night cycles, and ofcoz I would like weather changes ingame too!

Just imagine a thunderstorm in the desert of Pandora or a rainy day in the forest of south of aegis mound!

well, we have waited long for the day/night cycles, hope MA will implement it soon!

Another year another Day/Night/Weather thread (sigh). But yes as always I would LOVE to see this ABOVE ALL ELSE in game.

Why? Well appart from making the game feel much nicer it adds to how dynamic it is which will encourage play which in turn encourages exploration which in turn encourages spending (hunting/protection/ME for TP chips)

Mock forum post: "Hey have you guys seen the sunrise at the SW most tip of Eudoria? Awww man its something awsome! and the birds all start chirping just like IRL its fantastic I tell you, you gotta see it"

Not only that we then have scope for, nocturnal mobs and changes in general or specific mob behaviour depending on day night. (eg animals are more uneasy at night and attack more often). This of course brings in the need for lights (dynamic lighting EVERYWHERE please, not just indoors) and night vision scopes.

Mock forum post: "Hey everyone, big party at chimera canyon tonight, bring stuff to burn on the campfire! cK and DK will keep the mobs away but most of the little ones will be scared of the fire anyhow"

Add weather and we suddenly have scope for climate effecting the game, snow hindering movement (skis? snow shoes? vehicles? as solutions maybe) Perhapse it could encourage avatars to dress to the location which would mean more people need to buy clothes/amour (good for MA and crafters).

Mock forum post: "You gotta laugh. Today I saw a newbie running round in the snow NW amethera in just her underwear. haha she kept stopping and shivering. Jeese its not like there isn't enough cheap stuff to wear these days, when will they learn"

Maybe high winds could occasionally make travel in certain areas difficult (we HAVE physics after all!) perhapse once again this is why vehicles are helpfull. Perhapse there is an active volcano where mobs live at extreme high temperatures therefpre you need an environment suit to get anywhere near them?

Mock forum post: "HELP, I've got a claim rod for a 'massive' but the winds got up and I can't get to it, anyone got a craft who wouldn't mind picking me up? I'm at xxxxx,yyyyy"

There is SOOO much that weather and day night could add to this game if thought about right and hell, even if it was added purely as a visual effect that would be something awsome on its own. Yes some of the things I suggest would make the game more "difficult" to play but, for example, I'd far rather fight a clever mob and loose than carry on playing with the inteligence of an auto clicker.

Yes, bloody well get your ass in gear MA and give the people what they want. :yay:

Wistrel

Omg Wistrel so many great ideas deserves some +rep for sharing :)

especialy like the part of dressing up for the occasion hahaha, and birds starting to sing at dawn :)

Heh. they should just go and port it all to the crysis engine :yay:

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2509

Yeah, I know, totally unrealistic, but It would make possible all the above great suggestions, and just would kick soooo much ass :)

Yes, give us day and night MA please. And some weather like rain etc would be cool too.

Back