Dissecting Loot 2.0 Statements form MA

Stefan 008 Bond

Dominant
Society
Mod Merps
Stefan 008 Bond
Hi everyone, I know we have numerous 2.0 threads going but I wanted to see if we can clarify a few things I see as almost contradictory statements that we have received from MA about the big Loot 2.0 update...

While i am most assuredly overthinking the statements myself, I would like to see if we can mostly get on the same page as a community as far as what MA is trying to tell us.

From the original Dev Notes:

"Loot calculations will be optimized and improved to better factor in the various costs associated with hunting activity, including: healing, ammo consumption, buffs, tool and armor deterioration, attachments, and more."

no mention of enhancers but ok easy enough..

and then

"A new Economy rating parameter will be introduced, on a scale of 1-100, that indicates the efficiency of a tool and which influences loot calculations. This change from the once dominant damage/pec model will provide the design team with more freedom to release exciting and interesting items with a wider range of damage output and special effects."

As we have already deduced, this new economy/efficiency parameter is exactly the same as our old dpp models so I'm not sure this statement is accurate. While I'm sure MA has changed the system to possibly move away from supreme dpp model, this added Efficiency statistic in game does not change anything by itself. But I follow..

also:

Loot value calculations and the composition of the items in loot will be affected by properly matching avatar skills and gear to the creature being hunted, rewarding efficient kills with more interesting loot. For optimal loot, it will be important to avoid inefficiencies such as low damage output compared to creature health, excessive time and cost to kill, overkill damage, unmaxed weapons and other factors. This system is intended to reward game knowledge, which has traditionally been an important and unique aspect of success in Entropia Universe, and to provide opportunities for participants to improve their loot returns via experimentation, optimization and specialization."

so here we have MA stating that both quantity and quality are affected by these variables..

this seems to make sense as a lot of hunters use more than 1 weapon on a hunt so the penalty should only apply if your trying to use a Mann mph to kiil a Daspletor all the way.. using the mph as a finisher should not right?

...at this point I am under the assumption that MA wants us to kill mobs fast and furious with the caveat of overdamage is a penalty. In this system, which could be very interesting, skills, gear and actual user skills would all come into play. Since they are saying that excessive cost and time to kill will enact penalties of some sort, but we cant just annihilate mobs either since overdamage is a penalty. This could be very engaging!

then we have the follow up:

"The largest components by far in loot value calculations are costs, such as weapon deterioration, ammo consumption, armor deterioration, healing costs, etc."

So, ok, are we trying to be eco now or not?? Everyone wants more loot AND better loot, now you are saying the primary value of loot comes from our own costs... So this is a completely reactionary system now? We should be running up costs because it is all involved in loot value calculations? or not?

"The Efficiency parameter is a relatively small component in loot calculations (no more than 7% of total loot value)."

Well everyone is having a field day with this quote, something you will hear ppl referencing from now on so I hope that is a fully accurate quote. The community is taking this as uneco crap items vs imk2 is 7% difference in loot quantity. The value of items will certainly reflect this in the future if true.. still this isn't anything new

And then we have this:

"To best achieve Optimal Loot:
Be sure to have the Hit Ability and Damage profession requirements maxed (10.0/10.0) on the weapon your avatar is using.
Avoid over-amping (using a weapon amplifier that adds more than 50% of the maximum damage of the weapon to which it is equipped).
Minimize healing costs and the need to interrupt damage dealing to heal.

In general, the lower the cost to kill a creature, the higher the proportion of loot composition will be Optimal Loot. There is no inherent “kill timer” for each creature; Optimal Loot is calculated based on costs, not on time."

Right so now I'm more confused...

In the original notes you say to avoid inefficiencies like excessive time and cost to kill a mob, and then you state there is no timer... ok what again now??

Additionally you say healing costs are part of the calculations for loot quantity now, then you say to avoid healing for optimal loot!

Also stated is that armor decay is factored in loot calculations as well now, then again you say the lower cost to kill a creature, the higher proportion of optimal loot.

In other words, you are saying that you have altered the once dominant dpp model to include other things in loot calculations. But then you make a statement it is best to kill mobs cheap as possible afterall (which is how it has always been?)

I am fully aware of the difference now between what MA is saying is loot quantity and what is quality. Are they now mutually exclusive? Did you turn hunting into a crafting quantity/condition slider or what? I surely hope that these changes are for normal hunting loots only. While I am certainly fine with optimal loot packages being found in minis and globals vs shrapnel, I would like to feel that all players have an equal chance to loot the same large mutipliers as these are game changers (whats actually in the loot doesn't really matter, as long as the tt value is there!)

I am also very interested to see how the mentioned "specializations" and incremental net return increases can be implemented. I am on arkadia right now and Zadul are not dropping their hides. When i first started hunting them, not only were the hides missing but i wasnt seeing any corria boards either.. later after around 2-300 kills i started to see them a few times in loot (along with a different color of paint). I thought a system like this could be very cool, so maybe hides wont drop until you have a record of killing 1k zaduls (as exmpl)... just thinking out loud here

I am looking for everyone's interpretations of these statements. I am not looking for someone to tell everyone how to make profit under the new system... as it feels already like the first rule of loot 2.0 is you don't talk about loot 2.0! :cool:

seriously, I do feel secrets will be kept this time around as figuring out the system will net you more mu% than others, there isn't really a need to save the players who cant figure it out anymore as they will/should be fine (they just loot endless shrap!)

Thoughts?

I am also very interested to see how the mentioned "specializations" and incremental net return increases can be implemented. I am on arkadia right now and Zadul are not dropping their hides. When i first started hunting them, not only were the hides missing but i wasnt seeing any corria boards either.. later after around 2-300 kills i started to see them a few times in loot (along with a different color of paint). I thought a system like this could be very cool, so maybe hides wont drop until you have a record of killing 1k zaduls (as exmpl)... just thinking out loud here

I find this unlikely. The balancing system needs people to move around to distribute server load, it would be counterproductive to reward them putting down roots in one spot.

More likely, waves 1.0 have been replaced by surges 2.0 - lower frequency but higher amplitude.

Does the healing cost effect start at the first tag of a mob , or does it factor in all heal costs during a hunt?

"The Efficiency parameter is a relatively small component in loot calculations (no more than 7% of total loot value)."

Well everyone is having a field day with this quote, something you will hear ppl referencing from now on so I hope that is a fully accurate quote. The community is taking this as uneco crap items vs imk2 is 7% difference in loot quantity. The value of items will certainly reflect this in the future if true.. still this isn't anything new

Thoughts?

Well, it reads like 7% loot value is the maximum possible.

Last edited:
Not included in the OP,.

Using weapons that you do not have maxed skills for now has a considerably smaller negative impact on the "loot value" than it did in the past. Not dealing the full potential damage with each shot used to negatively affect the "loot value" returns greatly but now primarily negatively affect the "loot composition". For the "skill misses" (not evades) these still do affect your "loot value" returns negatively as they did in the past.

Last edited:
I find this unlikely. The balancing system needs people to move around to distribute server load, it would be counterproductive to reward them putting down roots in one spot.

More likely, waves 1.0 have been replaced by surges 2.0 - lower frequency but higher amplitude.

Was just thinking out loud how a system like that could be interesting, I don't think that is what is in play currently. This would only effect optimal loot (so mu%) as mu% is always on the move, i dont necessarily think it would be counterproductive if done right, it is just an interesting concept on some level i think. It is far easier to see "improved net returns for active and dedicated hunters" to work in this way than just improving net tt return (then we are stealing from other players again)

Well, it reads like 7% loot value is the maximum possible if someone was 0% efficiency and another was 100%. The efficiency bar for the imk2 hides its number but it looks like its 90.4%. Fairly easy to get a cheap hunting setup that is 65-70% efficiency. Question is, if imk2 is 100% efficient with dmg enhancers - no idea if thats possible - will buffing it up with crit items be pointless as you cant buff pass 100%. If so, you can buff the cheap 70% hunting setup to 80-100%, and the difference between the imk2 and a normal buffed hunting setup would be nowhere near the 7% loot value difference, maybe 1% or lower.

I read it like this too... can i really go out w. a sub 10% efficiency weapon now and still get 90% return? yowza

only problem here as you mention about damage enhancers, these would lower dpp on paper, theoretically lowering efficiency? I too have seen the reported conversation about adding dmage enhancers to get into the sweet spot of dps, for whatever that means. Its too bad enhancers dont have an efficiency rating.. (shouldn't they?)

I'm still a bit confused about some of the contradictory statements about costs in loot calculations moving away from dpp is king and then them saying for optimal loot, costs should be low and don't heal! (dpp is still king?) eco is dead, long live eco?

Not included in the OP, is this quote, which I think is the most interesting:

What does having low skill on an old gun school mean? very low DPP.

Charlie says this impact is now far lower on loot value than it was. Which can only mean that the 7% max efficiency ratio in 2.0 is far lower than it previously was. Meaning high DPP weapons have been nerfed.

They probably felt this had to be done. Previously, in order for normal players with average eco (the vast majority of players) to get decent tt return it meant that players with very high eco weapons/buffs would get over 100% tt return, which is obviously very undesirable for a complany.

I'm still a bit confused about some of the contradictory statements about costs in loot calculations moving away from dpp is king and then them saying for optimal loot, costs should be low and don't heal! (dpp is still king?) eco is dead, long live eco?

If "optimal loot" is static, it's only logical that spending less to get it means it's a larger % of loot.

They probably felt this had to be done. Previously, in order for normal players with average eco (the vast majority of players) to get decent tt return it meant that players with very high eco weapons/buffs would get over 100% tt return, which is obviously very undesirable for a complany.

Agreed, and while its a bit too early still to call it a nerf, in some ways it is. Thing is, I see it as more of a nerf for the mid-lvl players. Top line eco is still top line eco.. most uber items are checking in at 80% + efficiency while the masses of mid lvl and below are all looking at 55-65%.. now the floor has been brought up (which is a good thing imo, and I like how they handled it returns are better so they dont quit, just no mu% to be had) but it seems to me the small edge normal, informed educated players had has eroded almost completely (on paper).

give it a week or a month and it'll all be 'rebalanced' when those that only log in once a month start sending in the support tickets.

My guess is they basically cleaned out the loot tables, removing all but the basic stuff from them, and they'll slowly load em up again over time.

(not sure why this change happened really. Wonder if they recently did some server hardware update and moving some database caused something to get erased or they needed to change it somehow, so they were like, well, uh, ok, lets do this thing... anyways, if it makes old school weapons useful that were pretty much useless previously, it is a needed change. It more or less seems to introduce a 'personal loot pool' which some theorized existed long ago, but never really existed til now. If dps turns out to be an important factor, speed buff items are probably gonna skyrocket in price soon)

Last edited:

I like this thread +reps.

You've hit the nail on the head with some of the contradictions. I don't have any answers but been pondering over them myself. As indeed probably everyone is or should be...

Anyway one thing that's clear those bits of info being released have to look at them in context they usually address something i.e. are reactionary - like the info from charlie stated above was a reaction to address some of the confusion.

Taking all these statements and bits of info together as a whole can seem contradictory and don't seem to fit. Probably some logic to it that we don't yet know. The impression I'm getting is the paper value dpp or economy/efficiency rating is nerfed hence why they eco is dead. However some other factors that were always important still are e.g. overkill, cost. So eco not from dpp on paper but from something else e.g. using enhancers previously would have lowered eco but seems to be the opposite now. They seem to increase eco provided your target mob is the right hp i.e. matching amount of damage to hp of mob seems to be the key. Perhaps the new eco is related to this factor matching your damage dealing to the hp of the mob - too low or too high then you become uneco.

Not included in the OP, is this quote, which I think is the most interesting:

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie|MindArk View Post
Using weapons that you do not have maxed skills for now has a considerably smaller negative impact on the "loot value" than it did in the past. Not dealing the full potential damage with each shot used to negatively affect the "loot value" returns greatly but now primarily negatively affect the "loot composition". For the "skill misses" (not evades) these still do affect your "loot value" returns negatively as they did in the past.

What does having low skill on an old gun school mean? very low DPP.

Charlie says this impact is now far lower on loot value than it was. Which can only mean that the 7% max efficiency ratio in 2.0 is far lower than it previously was. Meaning high DPP weapons have been nerfed.

Welp, I have a mod merc. I am 10/10 ha/ca and at 104 hit and 98.66 dmg. I am getting very close to maxing dmg soon. I can say that until now it has been working well for me with my aurli missions for a while now doing Iron up through bronze, UNTIL 2.0 came out! Since then, its costing me an arm and a leg to finish this mission. If by "primarily negatively affect the 'loot composition'" they mean , nerf the fuck out of my globals and hofs, then ya, I guess I am getting super "primarily negatively affected" while I try to finish my fucking bronze mission. I guess I can't wait until I max it to see how much greater my loots going to be :rolleyes:

Dear MA, please give me a list of mobs I should be hunting with my hunting rig so I don't go broke trying to figure your mess out.

Last edited:
Welp, I have a mod merc. I am 10/10 ha/ca and at 105 hit and 98.66 dmg. ...

Dear MA, please give me a list of mobs I should be hunting with my hunting rig so I don't go broke trying to figure your mess out.

Before you go broke try this on your aurli:
* Increasing the amount of damage your dealing if that's not possible lowering the maturity of the mob your hunting (which would have the same effect).
* Lowering the amount of damage your dealing e.g. not using damage enhancers, no or lower amp etc

It's no longer about maxing your weapon but possibly all about matching damage to mob. That's not really from me but from another thread

MA statements remind me this old Indian story about 5 blind men and an elephant...

5_blind_men.jpg

What they are trying to to say is probably this. Yes they nudged some factors a little this way and others that way and the end result is: For the best results hunt on your level.

Before the major riots begin I should prolly add, you can kill small mobs way below your level using relatively big weapon and nothing terrible will happen to you. It's a shrapnel fest but TT is all present and accounted for. Take it with a pinch of salt and test everything yourself--not everything necessarily works the same for everyone.

I too have seen the reported conversation about adding dmage enhancers to get into the sweet spot of dps, for whatever that means.
I have known this for years and I was definitely not the only one... ;) Yes, adding or removing a few enhancers can change your loot. It was present before Loot 2.0, definitely not something brand new. It's possible they've made this effect more noticeable in 2.0
As the cat is now obviously out of the bag, we might as well talk about it openly... :cool:

Last edited:
It's no longer about maxing your weapon but possibly all about matching damage to mob. That's not really from me but from another thread

Nail on head.

That was my interpretation of 'eco' from when I started, and was suggested to and instilled in me by a long time player. I had thought everyone took this approach.

Horses for courses.

Welp, I have a mod merc. I am 10/10 ha/ca and at 105 hit and 98.66 dmg. I am getting very close to maxing dmg soon. I can say that until now it has been working well for me with my aurli missions for a while now doing Iron up through bronze, UNTIL 2.0 came out! Since then, its costing me an arm and a leg to finish this mission. If by "primarily negatively affect the 'loot composition'" they mean , nerf the fuck out of my globals and hofs, then ya, I guess I am getting super "primarily negatively affected" while I try to finish my fucking bronze mission. I guess I can't wait until I max it to see how much greater my loots going to be :rolleyes:

Aye, at least you can console yourself that its not as bad loot as when we first met when I was using an imk2 at level 30 :D.

Last edited:
"To best achieve Optimal Loot:
Be sure to have the Hit Ability and Damage profession requirements maxed (10.0/10.0) on the weapon your avatar is using.
Avoid over-amping (using a weapon amplifier that adds more than 50% of the maximum damage of the weapon to which it is equipped).
Minimize healing costs and the need to interrupt damage dealing to heal.

In general, the lower the cost to kill a creature, the higher the proportion of loot composition will be Optimal Loot. There is no inherent “kill timer” for each creature; Optimal Loot is calculated based on costs, not on time."

Right so now I'm more confused...

In the original notes you say to avoid inefficiencies like excessive time and cost to kill a mob, and then you state there is no timer... ok what again now??

Additionally you say healing costs are part of the calculations for loot quantity now, then you say to avoid healing for optimal loot!

Also stated is that armor decay is factored in loot calculations as well now, then again you say the lower cost to kill a creature, the higher proportion of optimal loot.

I interpret it as follows:

Example.
The max a weapon can do is lets say 3,0 dmg/pec. (might be higher or lower with buffs and stuff, I dont know)
But lets just say with max eco you can do 3.0 dmg/pec.
So, a 300 HP mob could be killed spending 100 pec.
Now that 100 pec is the minimal cost to kill the mob.
To get optimal loot configuration you need to get as close to that 100 pec as possible.
All costs involved killing the mob will get you further from that 100 pec as your costs increase. In turn decreasing your optimal loot.

All those statements like having 10/10, healing and not overamping are just logical things to do to keep you as close to that 100 pec kill cost.
Not having 10/10 decreases your avr weapon dmg output = costs
healing = costs
overamping = cost
No kill timer means the time to kill a mob doesnt effect optimal loot...unless the mob regens. And thats where the "excessive time to kill" statement comes in. excessive time means more regen means more costs.

In my opinion MA statements are so simple that we cannot understand them because we're seeking to much behind it. :scratch2:

Example.
The max a weapon can do is lets say 3,0 dmg/pec. (might be higher or lower with buffs and stuff, I dont know)
To get optimal loot configuration you need to get as close to that 100 pec as possible.
All costs involved killing the mob will get you further from that 100 pec as your costs increase. In turn decreasing your optimal loot.

All those statements like having 10/10, healing and not overamping are just logical things to do to keep you as close to that 100 pec kill cost.
healing = costs
overamping = cost
No kill timer means the time to kill a mob doesnt effect optimal loot...unless the mob regens. And thats where the "excessive time to kill" statement comes in. excessive time means more regen means more costs.

In my opinion MA statements are so simple that we cannot understand them because we're seeking to much behind it. :scratch2:

I think you're on to something here :lolup:

Reactions: DoA

Example.

healing = costs
overamping = cost

:wise:This one is wise, the force will be strong with this one. :lolup:

The key is to find out the "cap" or "minimum cost to kill" (like you said) in order to reach optimal loot.

It seems each mob now have their own "maximum cost" to kill based on HP, regen etc, otherwise you'll get none, or less optimal loot.

The higher your DPP (Efficiency rating) is the easier to reach said cap, however if you don't match mob HP/regen to DPS, even if you have imk2 you won't get the maximum optimal loot.

A massive testing from the whole community is needed to figure out the cap for each mob/maturity matching DPS to HP, also of course minimizing defense costs/fapping still matter greatly, since it reduces the optimal loot factor.

Obviously not all of it. All of those things were always true before. Why would you have a "Loot 2.0" type change to loot if you didn't really change anything?

healing = costs
overamping = cost

And not like I want to brag or anything, but that's exactly what I said a few days ago:

I think that once again you're overthinking that (as it was proved that many other things initially said were overthought here and indeed they were proved to be much more simple).

I read it as just minimize killing costs; interrupting damage dealing to heal would indirectly increase killing costs in all mobs that have regen (since by taking breaks to heal instead of doing damage you would allow them to regen more, needing more damage, so higher costs).

So, in my vision, is all about indirect effect, not direct... as in combat healing is not bad as per se, but is only bad because it lets the mob regen more, which forces you to dish more damage (to cover for the extra regen), though costs more to kill.

Really I do think a lot of us are overthinking it. Granted I am definitely no expert as I have cycled far fewer peds than most.

Simply put, you need to minimize the defense and healing costs as much as possible, match the armour to the enemy if you are using it, minimize overkill and kill as fast as possible to avoid regen, but not to overkill. Obviously also to be as economical as possible with buffs, attachments, enhancers, etc...

Far as I am concerned this means you can go ahead and use any weapon on any enemy, but of course you wouldn't want to overkill punies with an imk2 as example.

The only thing that concerns me from there is how does the system handle it if you use multiple weapons with multiple efficiencies? That and is there really some kind of change in loot composition simply because you took too long to kill it or too fast, too fast would seem silly, I can understand too long. Also if an unmaxed weapon really affects your loot as well. it shouldn't honestly since the simple fact that your unmaxed should be enough of a penalty as is.

From there, its simply analyzing the loot and its system as we always have in the past.

Obviously not all of it. All of those things were always true before. Why would you have a "Loot 2.0" type change to loot if you didn't really change anything?

Yes, it was. It is just "more enforced" by changing loot composition to reflect the need for mindark to play more of a hot and cold game.

Sooo now we get penalty for having too high dpp?
Say optimal loot on a 3k HP mob is 8 ped why should it be worse killing the mob for 6 ped.

I think he meant the part about us overthinking it.

Frankly, I've noticed no difference other than horrible flat loot punctuated by more minis, that still don't make up the difference, shrapnel everywhere and still generally mediocre items. Maybe they forgot to calculate in finishers. I have like 3 of them....

so... should we start calculating 'best mob/best weapon' based on minimum damage weapon does and multiplying that if you don't use a finisher... i.e. weapons that do 5-whatever damage should aim for mobs that have hp in multiples of 5s or 10s, etc, to avoid overkill?...

One thing that I have started doing from time to time is using flamethrower for first 60 percent or so of damage before switching to another weapon to finish, when I do decide to use that weapon... on weapons like this that have damage over time impact it makes sense to do that so you don't overkill with the damage after the mob is dead... in cases like this how the hell would overkill avoidance be calculated in since the lower damage per click weapon is being used as the 'tagger'... kinda similar question if you use something like a grenade launcher to piss mobs off in the area to start a mob train and then later finish em all.

Last edited:
The key is to find out the "cap" or "minimum cost to kill" (like you said) in order to reach optimal loot.

It seems each mob now have their own "maximum cost" to kill based on HP, regen etc, otherwise you'll get none, or less optimal loot.

The higher your DPP (Efficiency rating) is the easier to reach said cap, however if you don't match mob HP/regen to DPS, even if you have imk2 you won't get the maximum optimal loot.

A massive testing from the whole community is needed to figure out the cap for each mob/maturity matching DPS to HP, also of course minimizing defense costs/fapping still matter greatly, since it reduces the optimal loot factor.

Nothing much to find out. Just kill a mob with the least costs possible .
That means the most eco weapon at 10/10 with the least possible armour/healing and with regen mobs as fast as possible, without overkill.

What do you want to test about that?

Sooo now we get penalty for having too high dpp?
Say optimal loot on a 3k HP mob is 8 ped why should it be worse killing the mob for 6 ped.

How do you draw this conclusion? :scratch2:
If te average max cost to kill a mob is 8 ped, and you kill it for 6 (due to like 10 criticals for example) then you have achieved optimal loot. Therefor you have the best chance to get good loot composition.

BUt, this all goes about "optimal loot" which I interpret as "loot composition" or as "loot quality".
One thing MA's statements dont tell (or I fail to see) is the "loot quantity".
On what is "loot quantity" based?
Does MA pay you back healing/armour costs?
Does MA pay you back the extra costs if you kill using a swine deluxe instead with eco weapon?

My personal opinion is that loot quality should just be based on the mobs HP's and not on the stuff you use. Hitpoints tell you exactly the costs you need to kill a mob.
So that 300 HP mob costs on average 100 pec to kill. So the average loot such a mob will give is 90~95 pec factored by random mulitipliers and dividers.
IF you want to use crap eco weapons, fine, but be prepared to pay the price. Why should the system pay you back for being uneco?

so... should we start calculating 'best mob/best weapon' based on minimum damage weapon does and multiplying that if you don't use a finisher... i.e. weapons that do 5-whatever damage should aim for mobs that have hp in multiples of 5s or 10s, etc, to avoid overkill?...

:scratch2:
why thinking so complicated.
Just look at the mobs hitbar and see how many hitpoints it has left. Use your finishing weapon accordingly.
If I kill an atrox with just a sliver health left, barely visible, I can maybe use a 4 dmg weapon, but if it has more than a sliver left but not enough for my main gun, then I use for example a 16 dmg finisher.

It's not quantum physics here people.
A's team doesnt have rocket scientistst! :laugh:

What do you want to test about that?
:laugh:

Right, yes, you're overthinking this.
Move on nothing to see here.
You're happy, I'm happy.
It's a zero sum game after all...

So are you sure you're happy? Won't change your mind tomorrow? ;)

Back