EF Rules Discussion

Status
What about Religious Signatures?
Imo, that should be taken into consideration more than avatar pictures, last thing I want is to see signatures where religious opinions/standpoints are made, there really is no place here for that kind of stuff...

That is far more offensive than seeing an avy from another MMO, any thoughts 711?

Starfinder said:
Isent it off topic that i run another forum? - and as you can read from my PM to you we dont have any mods.. we have "free / open communication.. say what you want.. noone besides the other users will 'judge you'"

And the suggestion about the "dont break local law" rule.. sry.. i guess that were off topic.. but I just feel that as security you really should have it.. If you dont have it, i bet ya if someone used a PM to exchange warez links.. EF could be held responsible.. cuz "It werent written anywhere that they couldent".. just a friendly heads up..

Edit: Nice post demoniac :D +rep ...
And 711.. :silly: :beerchug: :painter:

about pryvacy and securyty on this forum 711 already answered here

So how u use PM system or your e-mail or e-mail or other data from other ppl here depends on random feelings ( autoregulated promisses) of mods and forum owner

This is starting to get a bit rediculous....... :wise:

Well...I thought I'd post about the existing rules.

Rule # 16
Discussion of real world politics, nationalism, religion, war, or other similarly controversial topics is NOT acceptable or appropriate for this forum. As indicated in Rule # 5, EntropiaForum is a global community with players from around the world, so discussion of such topics has the potential to turn threads into battlegrounds and divide the community. Therefore, refrain from starting or participating in any such discussions, as they will be removed from the forum.

Sorry. I can't say that I agree with this one. I am a member in LOTS of forums and are considered "global communities" in fact these are forums that have about 10x more members than EF and the player base of one particular game is about 10x that of EU. They have an Off-Topic thread for the discussion of whatever. Although some of the talks can get heated IF Rule #5 is followed then there should be no reason not to allow open discussion. I think you're explanation that this can turn the threads in battlegrounds and divide the community is a bit of an overreaction. With Mods to make sure that there is no flaming, etc then why now allow these types of discussions. Never seen these rip apart other forums.

Rule # 15
Discussion of computer games or MMORPGs other than EntropiaUniverse is NOT allowed. Any and all such threads or posts will be deleted. Naming, making reference to, or linking to games or game websites other than EntropiaUniverse is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. All references and links of this kind will be removed, including those that appear in avatar pics, member profiles and member signatures.

While I agree with most of this rule...this is an EU forum after all...I don't think that the mere mentioning of another MMORPG should mean deletion. Not a full blown discussion of other MMORPGs, EU bashing, or promotion for another MMORPG, but I can see when it would add content to merely mention another game. Also as far as other computer games...if that game is NOT a MMORPG why limit discussion? If it's not a direct competitor then what's the big deal? I can't see why someone that happens to mention a first-person shooter should have the post deleted. They're not in the same market. Also this means that I can make a thread about a wonderful little CCG habit that I have.....sweet :D

Rule # 18
Any threads or posts about leaving EntropiaUniverse, such as: “I’m Quitting” or "I've Had Enough" or “Taking a Break”, whether for positive or negative reasons, WILL BE DELETED. This includes any individual posts where comments are made in other threads as well. This rule also applies to sales threads. If you are leaving EU and are selling your items, do not include comments in your sales thread that indicate that you are “quitting” or “taking a break.” Members who are curious as to the intention of the poster can inquire through PM or in-game and should not ask within the sales thread.

Sorry seen WAY TOO many good-byes threads in other forums to give the prior explanations any weight at all. Just make a rule in a good-bye section that says..NO EU/EF bashing. But people can still say good-bye or see ya later. As an example, I had a friend on another forum that found out he had cancer and had to go to the hospital. He was very active in that forum. Posting in the good-bye thread saved him a lot of time rather than having to contact EVERYONE he knew on that forum. I agree with the bit about the Trading thread though.

Other than that...I have no problems with the rules as listed atm.

Chilly said:
Rule # 15
Discussion of computer games or MMORPGs other than EntropiaUniverse is NOT allowed. Any and all such threads or posts will be deleted. Naming, making reference to, or linking to games or game websites other than EntropiaUniverse is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. All references and links of this kind will be removed, including those that appear in avatar pics, member profiles and member signatures.

While I agree with most of this rule...this is an EU forum after all...I don't think that the mere mentioning of another MMORPG should mean deletion. Not a full blown discussion of other MMORPGs, EU bashing, or promotion for another MMORPG, but I can see when it would add content to merely mention another game. Also as far as other computer games...if that game is NOT a MMORPG why limit discussion? If it's not a direct competitor then what's the big deal? I can't see why someone that happens to mention a first-person shooter should have the post deleted. They're not in the same market. Also this means that I can make a thread about a wonderful little CCG habit that I have.....sweet :D

I have to agrea with this , and even more , i do think we are guetting in the dumb part of rules , and rules enforcement.

I just saw that 1 of my post got one line deleted.
The said line was something like : "copetitor are comming , a new game just have been launched last week" or som kind of word meaning same.
No name was said , no reference given , anything .
I was just saying that MA should mouve their ass becose competitor mouve their...

That line was deleted.
So , is that forum trying to say that MA and PE are only things that exist on earth or what ?
We are walking in the dumbest abuse of the rules enforcement...
Are you so afraid for your money and from the MA lack of competance that saying there other game in world make you think evryone will run away ?
Thats how you show your faith in MA ?
Are you confident in PE , or are you soo scared that you are sure the boat will sinking soon ?

I agree with Chilly and Etopia. I'd like to elaborate just a little. Most of this I have stated elsewhere, but I suppose this debate will rage on until the EF bosses change their minds, or the game comes to an end.

For the most part, we are a gaming community. There are those rare exceptions for whom the EU is their first foray into the world of mmorpgs. But most of us have, probably, been around for a while. That being said, it is an unnatural stifling of open discussion, to deny the mere mention of other games. I cannot tell you how many times this has had an impact on something I've wanted to say. Many times, I wanted to make a favorable comment regarding the EU, in comparison with another game, but was restricted from doing so.

This restricition is also a disservice to this community. It insults our intelligent, and questions our motives. Why not delete individual posts that go beyond the bounds of decency by saying things like, "EU sux! Come look at this wonderful game! It is soooo much better!" I could understand that, and I myself would not enjoy reading those kind of posts in this forum. But to say something harmless like, "You know, what I like about the EU? It's that real cash economy thing they've got going on. In EVE, all I do is sit and mine asteroids all day, and nothing really seems to matter. I can make several million isk in an hour, but who cares? In the EU, what you do really matters..."

You might ask, "Donald, sir, why did you not simply state 'in other games I do thus and so...'?" Good question. You will often see that type of phrase used in this forum. It is simply foolish. It results in our mocking the EF management by coming as close to naming other games as possible without actually violating their silly rule. It can be fun, but hardly satisfying in the long run.

I think it would be simply smashing, if the management would suddenly wake up and decide to start treating us as the adults we are, and lift this absurd restriction from their rules.

Sincerely,
Donald

P.S.
Mikah said:
What about Religious Signatures?
Imo, that should be taken into consideration more than avatar pictures, last thing I want is to see signatures where religious opinions/standpoints are made, there really is no place here for that kind of stuff...

That is far more offensive than seeing an avy from another MMO, any thoughts 711?

This both puzzles and troubles me. How is anyone offended by another's profession of faith? Would you be offended if they told you they smoked an entire bag of weed in a sitting? Would you be offended if they mentioned how much they enjoyed their little ménage à trois of the previous evening? Or is it only things that pertain to goodness and righteousness that you find offensive? Just curious...

Alright, I am asking because I have seen this type of thinking repeatedly on the InterNet. Freedom of speech only applies to things vile and vulgar. Let someone with a pure thought, and a worthwhile desire make their statement and we see how much freedom of speech is appreciated.

Oh Golly! It is good to be back!

Last edited:
Donald said:
In EVE, all I do is sit and mine asteroids all day..."

:dunno: but the link doesn't work this time .... :D

(wb ;))

Donald said:
This both puzzles and troubles me. How is anyone offended by another's profession of faith? Would you be offended if they told you they smoked an entire bag of weed in a sitting? Would you be offended if they mentioned how much they enjoyed their little ménage à trois of the previous evening? Or is it only things that pertain to goodness and righteousness that you find offensive? Just curious...

Personally, other peoples statements pertaining to their or other religions don't 'offend' me per say, however as a devout atheist, I do not want to see religious discussion on EF, but where do you draw the line. :dunno:

To Lyyke:

Lykke said:
:dunno: but the link doesn't work this time .... :D

(wb ;))

It's not a link, Lyyke! That would be wrong... but thanks for the welcome, just the same.

To AkiranBlade: I am not calling for religious discussion, nor political, for that matter. It just bothered me that a simple signature, expressing one's faith, would 'offend' someone... how is that even possible? My beliefs are mine alone; other's may vary. But your atheisim doesn't threaten me, or even offend me. Why would it? It's puzzling. Everyone is individually accountable for their actions and beliefs. That's all I wanted to say.

As for, where to draw the line, we as a community of mostly adults, should be capable of policing ourselves and maintaining a semblance of decorum. Don't you think? Less rules; More personal responsibility. Just my opinion, and in keeping with the topic of this thread.

Last edited:
Donald said:

Alright, I am asking because I have seen this type of thinking repeatedly on the InterNet. Freedom of speech only applies to things vile and vulgar. Let someone with a pure thought, and a worthwhile desire make their statement and we see how much freedom of speech is appreciated.

The point I was trying to make is...
That kind of stuff is not allowed here, "legality purposes, offending someone, etc"... If I were to post a picture of myself in the avatar picture smoking a spliff, would it be allowed? of course not.. why? because it would offend someone in the end.. if someone can't have a picture of another MMo here why? because it would be "promoting" another.. so in the end, we are talking about promoting an action/thought... so should not be considered promoting a religious standpoint and or promoting religion, in a way?

My point is... be consistant with rules, either make it so everyone can be on the same page or get rid of it entirely.

Freedom of speech only applies to things vile and vulgar

I find a Huge problem with this, because what may be vulgar for you, may not be vulgar for someone else.. it all comes down to Personal Interpretation and Judgement... people think black and white.. it should apply to all things related, if you look to be fair with everyone...

Personally, its hard for me to get offended... but being hypocritical, thats something I dont think it's right. Be consistant, Be Fair and Be clear.
In the end, we are talking about promoting a certain ideology, this is an Eu forum.. with all things related to Eu... religion is not a part of Eu, unless of course... your talking about Lootius and other "religions" per say created for and by Eu participants...

Donald said:
To Lyyke:

It's not a link, Lyyke! That would be wrong... but thanks for the welcome, just the same.

To AkiranBlade: I am not calling for religious discussion, nor political, for that matter. It just bothered me that a simple signature, expressing one's faith, would 'offend' someone... how is that even possible? My beliefs are mine alone; other's may vary. But your atheisim doesn't threaten me, or even offend me. Why would it? It's puzzling. Everyone is individually accountable for their actions and beliefs. That's all I wanted to say.

As for, where to draw the line, we as a community of mostly adults, should be capable of policing ourselves and maintaining a semblance of decorum. Don't you think? Less rules; More personal responsibility. Just my opinion, and in keeping with the topic of this thread.

I know it wasn't, Dooald ;) Though you use to put links in everywere... soooo! And I still totally agree with your post! I had same experiences with EVE.

Donald said:
To Lyyke:

This is my whole point, you let the odd snippet through and you then need to 'police' that content on a per item basis, then someone posts or phrases something else that is mildly more political or cultural or religious and it steps over the mythical boundary. In that instance I say I'd prefer to see no references. It's an easier ruling and easier to moderate.

One simple comment or quote of a religious chant could descend into religious and hateful anarchy in no time. Whether the parties involved have all the facts or not.

Hence, I do not personally want to see any religious content on EF whatsoever. I'd rather discussion and content stay on topic in that respect. Yes we have off topic, but that's really a forum for light hearted humour, pointers to informative and interesting (and non hateful, inciteful) content.

Wow! My opinions are square in the middle of 2 people I highly respect. (Actually, that happens a lot so nothing real new there.)

Donald, as a fellow Atheist, I think I can put AkiranBlade's point into a slightly different view.

Many Atheists get "skittish" about religious talk for a simple reason: We're used to folks trying to ram their views down our throats and reflexively fight back.

For example: When was the last time an Atheist came to your door trying to get you to change your beliefs?

Atheism, by its nature, tends to stay close-mouthed. So sometimes the hint of religious discussion is read by us as "Here comes another preacher I don't wanna listen to."

However with that being said, I must completely agree with Donald. There's nothing wrong with mentions of religions. That's their right.

Then again, I love debating about religion and other things because I love learning. A glutton for punishment I guess.

AkiranBlade, if I'm way off base, please let me know. (I even learned how to spell your name right too. :laugh: )

So now to bring this back on topic. What to do about the issue of religion on EF?

Like Donald said, we're adults. A comment here or there isn't going to kill anyone. If someone is clearly getting out of line in any way, the mods will request that they back off. Punishment for non-compliance should be dictated by the severity of the stupidity.

JohnCapital said:
Wow! My opinions are square in the middle of 2 people I highly respect. (Actually, that happens a lot so nothing real new there.)

Donald, as a fellow Atheist, I think I can put AkiranBlade's point into a slightly different view.

Many Atheists get "skittish" about religious talk for a simple reason: We're used to folks trying to ram their views down our throats and reflexively fight back.

For example: When was the last time an Atheist came to your door trying to get you to change your beliefs?

Atheism, by its nature, tends to stay close-mouthed. So sometimes the hint of religious discussion is read by us as "Here comes another preacher I don't wanna listen to."

However with that being said, I must completely agree with Donald. There's nothing wrong with mentions of religions. That's their right.

Then again, I love debating about religion and other things because I love learning. A glutton for punishment I guess.

AkiranBlade, if I'm way off base, please let me know. (I even learned how to spell your name right too. :laugh: )

So now to bring this back on topic. What to do about the issue of religion on EF?

Like Donald said, we're adults. A comment here or there isn't going to kill anyone. If someone is clearly getting out of line in any way, the mods will request that they back off. Punishment for non-compliance should be dictated by the severity of the stupidity.

Yes, that is my sentinment, but also the concern of wayward conversations causing ill feeling for the, in my opinion, 'mere' mention of something to do with their beliefs. I feel the whole subject area would be best left for PM's or another forum.

While I agree with Donald to a certain extent, unfortunately EF often gets visitations from those of us with lesser maturity which brings easily the advent of malicious content centric to the subjects which have been made taboo on this forum for almost the entirity of EF's lifetime to date.

I really see no gain from changing that rule.

My beef would be the more topical debate of content comparison with other games being tabooed. But for fear of worsening my ability to even get a sniff of break even I'm am not going to be discussing anything with anyone publicly about MA or other wares available to the masses. I've been !!!!! enough lately with substandard loots thank you very much.

I think we need more censorship in general. No reason to have this game or players apear to look bad in any way...some people have too much $ at stake here, regardless what the reality is.

Morg said:
I think we need more censorship in general. No reason to have this game or players apear to look bad in any way...some people have too much $ at stake here, regardless what the reality is.

this is to be taken with a grain of salt, right? :confused:

EntropiaForum Rules have been updated.

Please familiarize yourselves with the forum rules, this will make for a more pleasant and enjoyable experience for all EF members.

Thanks

Just a little bump for members to give feedback on the forum rules.

I read the start of this thread and the end... I did skip alot in between, But this was supposed to be a discussion of the rules? It seems to me that its here simply for 711 to defend the rules... I mean, can we change the rules?

Why should I complain or discuss the rules in here? At the start 711 says if the majority of people agree with the changing of rules it will be done but this isn't going to happen.

Looking at the rules there is 1 obvious one that sticks out like a sore thumb #15
This one is just ridiculous and I think 99% of the members would agree with wanting that changed, but will that happen? maybe I should put a poll up about it in the original spirit of this thread?

Looking at the rules there is 1 obvious one that sticks out like a sore thumb #15
This one is just ridiculous and I think 99% of the members would agree with wanting that changed, but will that happen? maybe I should put a poll up about it in the original spirit of this thread?
Two threads have already been opened on rule #15 both got locked. Hazarding a guess a poll on rule #15 even in the original spirit of this thread will get locked too. There are a lot of people that agree with you Primax. You just need to look at other game forum including official game forums and none of them have this rule. In fact majority even have a separate sub forum like off topic to talk about any other games. Many game producers recognise that the customers play other games and are not threatened by this. This is not MA's way and as 711 doesnt want to get on the wrong side of MA we have rule #15. Like he says if you want to discuss other games go else where.

Rule #15, imo, is a good rule.

If I want to speak about <Rule #15 auto-censor game name>, i go to that game forum.

I'm currently living in EU and I do not care about other games.
I've got no interest in knowing that a XYZ game got <insert some features here>.
That info is not useful to my EU experience.

And before you think that I'm :bowdown: 711, read below.;)

I do think, imo, that Rule #18 is a bit stringent.:(
If I decide to resign in EU and/or take I rest, I will post it on EF to inform the community (and the friends I did find in it) that I will be temporanely or forever absent.

I read the start of this thread and the end... I did skip alot in between, But this was supposed to be a discussion of the rules? It seems to me that its here simply for 711 to defend the rules... I mean, can we change the rules?

Why should I complain or discuss the rules in here? At the start 711 says if the majority of people agree with the changing of rules it will be done but this isn't going to happen.

The title of the thread is "rules discussion" not "rules referendum". If you take the time to read the thread, you will see some discussion of Rule #15, and my comments on it. This is one of the longest standing rules of EF, and will not be changed in the foreseeable future. Just for some reference, such rules are not uncommon on fan forums (I am a member of quite a few that have identical rules). This is no justification (none is needed), simply a comparison and reference point.

Rule #15

I do think, imo, that Rule #18 is a bit stringent.:(
If I decide to resign in EU and/or take I rest, I will post it on EF to inform the community (and the friends I did find in it) that I will be temporanely or forever absent.

If you decide to leave, you can still use the forum PM system to inform your friends and socmates with your decision (which in my opinion is a more personal way to do it anyway).

Rule # 26
EntropiaForum is an English-only forum. All threads and posts must be written in English. This includes all publicly viewable parts of the forum: thread titles, posts, signatures, user titles, diaries, profiles, and any other area that can be viewed by other members.

With the invention of internet software that facillitates instant translation, I find this rule a bit redundent.

The title of the thread is "rules discussion" not "rules referendum". If you take the time to read the thread, you will see some discussion of Rule #15, and my comments on it. This is one of the longest standing rules of EF, and will not be changed in the foreseeable future. Just for some reference, such rules are not uncommon on fan forums (I am a member of quite a few that have identical rules). This is no justification (none is needed), simply a comparison and reference point.

Well I wasn't refererring to the title more to the comments...

711 said:
If you have a concern about any particular rules, please discuss them in this thread, and if the majority of the EF community feels such rules are unreasonable, then they may be modified or removed. This forum exists for the EF members, not the owner admins or moderators.

Atam said:
Rule #15, imo, is a good rule.

If I want to speak about <Rule #15 auto-censor game name>, i go to that game forum.

Atam, Sure I could go an post my thoughts on another game at xyz forum and hell I probably will. But the reason for wanting to post it here is the same reason I want to post my globals here. To share with my EU friends or ask their opinions.

I really dont mind rule 15, what really turns me off is rule 8.... of course, I would agree if it was used in moderation and not with narrow criteria. Unfortunately, this rule is abused -in detrimental ways to EF and EU- by some moderators.

711 is there any way to bend rule 15?

Is there any reason to complain about it or is it a rule that will not be changed regardless?

I find it silly that I can't say for example "hey guys such and such fps demo just got released I've been waiting for ages for this how bout you guys?"

The reason it is silly is because we use the forum to not just talk about Entropia but to talk to people who play entropia. I mean we are allowed topics about peoples lives, what they did today etc why not what offline games they are playing.

Its not discussion of the game itself rather discussion of something we did, will do or enjoy doing.

I don't fully understand the reasons behind the rule so maybe you could enlighten me as to how steadfast this rule is.

711 is there any way to bend rule 15?

Is there any reason to complain about it or is it a rule that will not be changed regardless?

I find it silly that I can't say for example "hey guys such and such fps demo just got released I've been waiting for ages for this how bout you guys?"

The reason it is silly is because we use the forum to not just talk about Entropia but to talk to people who play entropia. I mean we are allowed topics about peoples lives, what they did today etc why not what offline games they are playing.

Its not discussion of the game itself rather discussion of something we did, will do or enjoy doing.

I don't fully understand the reasons behind the rule so maybe you could enlighten me as to how steadfast this rule is.

I agree, and although foresee a lot of game threads In the off-topic (maybe Its own sub-forum for "Offline Games"?) section, I think there should be no problems with talking about Offline games. Maybe even ones with no MMORPG styles. So just like Online FPS games ect.

Status
Back