Entire NI Staff let go. New Direction.

Mastermesh, ND's name is not plastered "all over that planet" Actually it's just in one small area on one server. Counting AG NI has 6 server areas, so ND's name is plastered on a couple huts on 1/6th of NI.

Still enough to make a lot of people I have spoken to believe that NI belongs to ND.

But I do hope that who ever is the new owners will roll Next Island back a few versions. A lot was done to the planet to try and get more people over there while killing the theme of the planet as a hole.

But I do hope that who ever is the new owners will roll Next Island back a few versions. A lot was done to the planet to try and get more people over there while killing the theme of the planet as a hole.

hehehe...this made me giggle :tongue2:

NI had two big handicaps:

1) Distance from Calypso (ok not a big issue using a mothership)
2) No Iron / IFN missions like Calypso & Arkadia have.

There were other issues such as Ancient Greece although being a nice concept didnt work in practice by making most commonly used gear unusable.

Hopefully the planet will remain as it was a beautiful place :(

I doubt NI will go to MA, sinse MA never owned it as it did with Calypso. NI will either disapear, or get sold.
As far as we know it's in the contract:
- PP pays MA 2 million USD (unrefundable from my understanding) to be given PP status.
- If (when?) PP goes tits-up MA takes over running it.

I can't see how any third party could (or even would) buy it - not with the slightly less encouraging history of PP's so far. Besides, if you really wanted to become a PP that bad you probably have your own idea of how the planet would be - chances are NI would not fit into that idea.

The pilot (first and largest; Calypso) got repossessed. Now NI seems to have gone.

If this news means this is the second Planet Partner to shut down, I'm sorry to say I'm not too surprised (<-- CLICKY), and by my count it would make it 2 down.

- PP pays MA 2 million USD (unrefundable from my understanding) to be given PP status.

I dont think the amount or the unrefundable status is correct. It is more about showing you have the funds to get the development process going and it is not paid to MA.

- If (when?) PP goes tits-up MA takes over running it.

I can't see how any third party could (or even would) buy it - not with the slightly less encouraging history of PP's so far. Besides, if you really wanted to become a PP that bad you probably have your own idea of how the planet would be - chances are NI would not fit into that idea.

The pilot (first and largest; Calypso) got repossessed. Now NI seems to have gone.

If this news means this is the second Planet Partner to shut down, I'm sorry to say I'm not too surprised (<-- CLICKY), and by my count it would make it 2 down.

Wow...

Anyway If I would have the cash handy I would either buy it or invest in it.. The idea of pp's is not only a solid idea but I suspect it won't be the first MMO to run this path.

These are young and tough times for pp's and if Calypso's beginnings are to attest to it.. Also, the economy of the real world is still on the fence so I can understand why some investors are thinking twice about where they are putting their money..

I have a strange feeling that the owner of NI won't go down without a fight... But you never know...

I have a strange feeling that the owner of NI won't go down without a fight...
MA and SEE have AFAIK still not presented any results from the arbitration, why there's a possibility NI will also take this path. It would indeed seem strange if Post just dropped NI.

On the other hand, a good businessman knows when it's time to just cut your losses and walk away.

I hope Justin Bieber buys it.

A whole planet of Biebers you can kill would be a surefire hit.

+rep ...
joke of the day :cool:

planet Equestria Friendship.. is magic! (now.. 20 % cooler!)

+rep ...
joke of the day :cool:

Well I got an idea...

have Lauren Faust buy it..and make it .. EQUESTRIA!

Yes, Equestria.. Home to these guys!

The only difference is.. The Ponies have guns! and they are out to kill you

unless you can love and tolerate them!

Derpy: And don't forget.. Muffins!

Oy.. now that would be a laugh riot.. owning a piece of property in a world full of Poneies..

I know the My Little Pony haters would love that planet!

Benjamin Ben Coyote.

Well I got an idea...

have Lauren Faust buy it..and make it .. EQUESTRIA!

Yes, Equestria.. Home to these guys!

The only difference is.. The Ponies have guns! and they are out to kill you

unless you can love and tolerate them!

Derpy: And don't forget.. Muffins!

Oy.. now that would be a laugh riot.. owning a piece of property in a world full of Poneies..

I know the My Little Pony haters would love that planet!

Benjamin Ben Coyote.

Do you sell LSD??
If yes pm me

MA and SEE have AFAIK still not presented any results from the arbitration, why there's a possibility NI will also take this path. It would indeed seem strange if Post just dropped NI.

On the other hand, a good businessman knows when it's time to just cut your losses and walk away.
Yep thats why I said you never know.. From what I have heard and read about him, he doesn't do things to fail. As you said, he also knows when to let the ship slip quietly under the waves!! ;)

All in all though, I think he is just changing some things he didn't see working, and is most likely gearing up to start the new phase!! :)

It is a sad day when a PP folds. Just look at the number of pages each planet has in the Auction House to give an idea of how well they are doing. Calypso has fallen from a steady +1000 pages to the ~850s, Arkadia nearly hit 200 but has fallen to 140 pages.

MA needs to stop fucking around with FaceBook and Sometrics etc and advertise the game old school style, TV, Radio, gaming stores with boxed sets etc, put adverts in the big gaming websites....we need a player base to support all the planets! The players are spread too thinly at the moment. Which PP will be next?

and like usual no an official statement by anyone...............................

and like usual no an official statement by anyone...............................

Officially, I never cared for planets like Next Island and ROCKTropia :D

~Danimal

Lets just slow down a sec, I think we might be getting a little ahead of ourselves with the assumption that NI is going under(I made that mistake too in this thread). Just because Meg lost her job does not mean NI is screwed, and here is what David said on FB about funding;

"David Post
well I forced the issue and my deal to sell control of Next Island did not happen. Don't feel sorry as I saw my future as someone's boy and I would rather be the master of my domain. Don't close the book yet. A few chapters still to come"

A littly cryptic, but not out yet.
Also lets be honest, Meg was the Social media director(IE internet PR person) who hardly ever talked to the player base for the first year(and when she did, her answers where really flaky). I'm not knocking Meg personally, but well, she wasn't the greatest PR person. And well, her missions arn't all that creative either(although they are better then most in EU, at least they have a story line.)
So Meg loosing her job, not really a sign of big trouble.

It's a sad day for NI team, but it's more sad to see so many comments from people who do know nothing about the planets or actually try it, and put some "serious and smart" comment.

Rocktropia has the best mining system there. Don't you ever wonder why there are some decent miners keep globaling on RT? Alternative, Pyrite, Niksa, Ignisium, countless good ores can be found there easily. About noob friendly, RT has the best noob mob for noob hunter with guaranteed profit, the Vixen robot, not the punny around PA. Alternative is as easy as Lyst to be mined. Most comments that said that RT may fail are too outdated.

It's a good news that the current NI team got fired. We don't like them at all, even Meg is a nice person, but this is business not some kindergarten. The old team ignored all players' ideas and comments, stubborn following their own stupid direction.

This is a good news, not bad news at all. Now we can see the new hope for NI. As long as the old team exist, NI has no hope at all.

If you read her blog, it wasn't just her.....but the whole crew.

Actually her blog flip flops on that. I kinda have to wonder why the janitor would ask is she got a new job or a promotion before asking if she lost her job. And well, if the whole team got canned, well, Nguyen hit it on the head

It's a good news that the current NI team got fired. We don't like them at all, even Meg is a nice person, but this is business not some kindergarten. The old team ignored all players' ideas and comments, stubborn following their own stupid direction.

This is a good news, not bad news at all. Now we can see the new hope for NI. As long as the old team exist, NI has no hope at all.

My thoughts exactly.

If they would never have had the SCREAMING MAD MONKEYS they would have had a better flow of players visiting and staying.:dunce:

If they would never have had the SCREAMING MAD MONKEYS they would have had a better flow of players visiting and staying.:dunce:

It's all those monkeys fault
monkey_slap-6-7.gif
:whip:

not so good news.

How long was the planet in? 2 years?

Why could Arkadia build up that much stuff in less time?

I doubt that it's all just connected to the staff. If nothing is moving or that kind of slow it's the management to look at. (He calls himself "addicted entrepreneur" on his FB page...)

What did the owner of the planet do with his time?
Why does he fire his staff at a time when first flowers started to bloom?
Is he aware that summertime is holiday time in every online game?
Is there a project manager at Next Island?
Who is the economy manager at Next Island?
Who sets the timeframe and goals there and who controls achievement?
What goals did the management have when selecting the staff members?

Also I'm curious now what part Mindark got with such developement?

Are planet partner content updates charged with fees everytime a PP wants to implement something?

After what criterias does Mindark choose which PP get's his stuff done and when?
What criterias does Mindark set to a Planet which determines what a Planet needs to achieve before getting possibility to implement different items, tools, systems?
Is there a Planet Partner level unlock in any direction?
What service level agreements are between mindark and the pp?

2 more planets come in this year and cyrene is not even started...
Rocktropia is a blueprint mess concerning its own economy...
Space is a black hole with some creatures.

So actually 4 Planets (5 incl. Next Island) and a partitially designed space which haven't got the curve yet.

Even if they get the curve "who should inhabit all these places?"

What happens now should not be taken easy by the community ala "i havent been there much dont care"

Question shall not be "wasnt that about time?" but "why did that happen?"

It's a sad day for NI team, but it's more sad to see so many comments from people who do know nothing about the planets or actually try it, and put some "serious and smart" comment.

Rocktropia has the best mining system there. Don't you ever wonder why there are some decent miners keep globaling on RT? Alternative, Pyrite, Niksa, Ignisium, countless good ores can be found there easily. About noob friendly, RT has the best noob mob for noob hunter with guaranteed profit, the Vixen robot, not the punny around PA. Alternative is as easy as Lyst to be mined. Most comments that said that RT may fail are too outdated.

I wonder if you mine that much or talk to many of those decent miners, just because people are getting globals on RT does not mean they are doing well. Mining on RT is a challenge, and if RT was doing that well why did MA have to rebalance the ores and nerf mining on calypso so that RT became more attractive for a while? Recently things got even worse when ND in his infinite wisdom decided to flood the planet with RT specific enmatters that, when refined, cant even be sold on auction, and did this before the BP's were released that make use of the increase in resources.

"Serious and smart" indeed.

Aaah not dead, just twitching.

Hope that NI can get itself back on track, the place is very scenic and time zones are cool.

The amount of different crystals there in loot is kinda over the top, crafting took ages to start any headway on due to no development. The lack of craftable stuff initially was main reason for low activity there i think, without buyers and crafters there was no economy.

Would be nice to see it turn around and succeed.

Last edited:
Back