Ethical/technical issue, need advice.

I agree with Compusmurf, I wouldn't touch it!

I'd still go down the "buy a bigger USB stick locally" route personally.
That way you have a bigger USB stick to use and you could leave EU on there for when she invites you back for more work ;)

Or ask her if she'd like to see what you do for fun and show her how to make an EU account?

Oh yes, and with the memory stick, make sure it's big enough to copy all those photos to :laugh:

No, you should not do this. Since "use" was not defined, the owner may only think you are going to surf the Internet. Since you are asking is you should do this, you have a little voice in the back of your head saying don't do it. Listen to this voice. If I told someone they could use my computer, I would not expect them to download anything to it.

She's an attractive woman with a bunch of photo files on the desktop screen.... but I must be a lot more mature than I ever was in my youth, because I haven't the slightest inclination of looking at them:)

I don't think I'll even have time now, the job's looking a bit bigger.... probably gonna leave it. Just hope we got enough judges.

Hurrikane

Show me those attractive pics and i tell you what do do:)

Right... part of a remarkable week in London has included meeting a dwarf who claimed to have played an Ewok (an Imdb search says otherwise btw)... this however brought up the fact that she has never seen any star wars films, and views sci-fi as the domain of nerds and sad folk. I am not about to tell her that I may be the biggest geek she has ever met:)

Hurrikane

why not? Thats your chance to change her point of view. You need to show her that geeks, nerds and Ewoks still are men. You can even wear an Ewok costume with pride, especially when youre a dwarf. If that is what makes you happy you cant be sad folks.

She said "use it"... I define "using" with "using and NOT changing anything"... she didn't say that you shouldn't change anything and she didn't say that you can change something - so use it "as it is" - or call her and ask...

Go home, get your big USB stick. D/L EU at home to your USB stick go to her place install and play.

EU should be installed on every machine that can run it so I would say go ahead! Especially since she approved you using the machine. If you use system restore to restore the OS back to the state before you installed EU. That way is the cleanest.

Gl!

/Slupor

Considering the latest info, I would venture that turning the computer on in the first place is a task itself for your...host, let alone reviewing download limits or internet history.

Call her up and tell her you want to install a fancy chat program so you can stay in touch with her when you start dating. She will say yes.

Later you can teach her all the addictive fun of said chat program.

narfi

Frankly, I think the fact that you are worried about this issue says a lot about your personal character. :)

There are many reasons why not to do it:

• "use it" normally means "check e-mails, surf the web, play music, play a video but don't do anything stupid". That would be "feel free to mess with it".
  • every at least medium-complex program leaves traces on the PC. You'd need to check temporary directories, registry entries, maybe driver settings, ... Starting EU from a USB-stick is one thing, but every program run from an external device can create mess on the hosting computer.
  • you seem to have some sort of relationship going on and you shouldn't abuse trust
  • your asking yourself and us already shows that you're not sure (which is a big plus for you). That's called an instinct.
  • you're about to sacrifice some virtual happening to a RL tragedy. However, this depends on your personal preferences about life and such.

To speak for myself, even being allowed to "use it" to me still is no offer. I'd call that "being nice", but I'd watch TV or go out or do something else instead.

Maybe I'm too nice for this world... ;)

Depending on what OS it's running, can't you create a restore point and roll it back to that, afaik that includes drivers etc, so should leave it clean.

But definitely the easiest way to not screw anything up is to not change anything :)

So how is the laptop? and did you buy her a ring yet?

the suspense is killing me,

narfi

She dont like nerds or geeks and her lappy already has major issues. she really want your company to buy her a new lappy and could care less about wether you get fired over breaking (or not) the said computer. She is setting you up to buy her a new fancy computer.:D

but still where are the pic :ahh:

So how is the laptop? and did you buy her a ring yet?

the suspense is killing me,

narfi
Laptops' fine, there's already a beautiful woman wearing a ring from me, and I didn't download the game:)

(and to to other comments; I don't work for a company, I don't even have insurance, that's why my fees are low; I'm just helping out a friend of a friend by charging about a third of what London plumbing firms charge... west country immigrant worker as I am:))

Hurrikane

Well, if it's a "friend of a friend" and you have been allowed to use the computer, installing the game is not a big deal in my opinion, go for it. Had it been a "real work" for a totaly stranger i would probably not have done it.

Well, if it's a "friend of a friend" and you have been allowed to use the computer, installing the game is not a big deal in my opinion, go for it. Had it been a "real work" for a totaly stranger i would probably not have done it.

Let's be more specific... a friend of the boss of a friend's cousin, whose boyfriend drives an audi R8 and pays more on their mortgage each month than I make in a year lol

Hurrikane

Let's be more specific... a friend of the boss of a friend's cousin, whose boyfriend drives an audi R8 and pays more on their mortgage each month than I make in a year lol

Hurrikane

haha okey ;)

I say: screw ethics

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=446 count=1

then install FreeBSD or OpenBSD

gotta be a lot cheaper than playing PE or using Windows ;)

edit: now, if the game could be played on Linux or Linux-compatible OS, you COULD have run the whole game without leaving traces (by booting from an external USB drive)

2nd edit: or you could have dd'ed the whole drive to an external USB drive, then installed EU in the MS-Windows. Afterwards, you could have re-dd'ed (is that a real word?) the original back across. No traces left, whatever.

Last edited:
:yay:'nix-fu:yay:

... There is another option: conveniently "forget" to uninstall EU afterwards, and presto! Another brand new arrival asking directions to Swamp Camp!

Use the laptop and leave the game installed! Perhaps she'll try it out someday and stick around! :yay:

(j/k.. i wouldn't have done it either :D)

Hmm.... left my 4gb dongle at home, brought the 256mb one:(

by how you asked the question here its clear you should not mes with her laptop without being clear and asking her.

as per thumb drives they can only have data written to them so many times before they refuse further data. I have never looked in to the program files for eu much but this could be a concern for you thumb drives are also a poor choice to load programs from.

as a example I use usb keys with xp installed on them for service and get around 6 hours of use before they refuse data to be written and I have to toss them. they have around 2 to 8 writes a second ish when I am working.

Back when EU could fit on a thumb drive I played on a friend compy when I visited right from the thumb drive with no issues for over 10 hours at ties.

As for the moral issue I go by what I calls Bill's law.
Bills Law specificly states that it covers anything Murphy forgot.
Having stated that it would be a GARANTEE that the computer in question would at some point gak up a furball and cause MAjor havok with the friend.

If you do use it Make sure she knows what it is , how and why you want / need to do so.

In this situation, I'd use the laptop to surf or stream, but I wouldn't install anything.
In fact, I'd probably have taken my own laptop with me if I'd known that I would be a couple days. I'm never comfortable using other peoples computers without them being there, unless I know them relatively well. Especially in work, "keep it professional" and all that.. hehe.

as a example I use usb keys with xp installed on them for service and get around 6 hours of use before they refuse data to be written and I have to toss them. they have around 2 to 8 writes a second ish when I am working.

Strange. It may be that NTFS writes very frequently to the disk on top of your app writes?. I have several systems (3 desktops, 2 NFS servers) running the whole OS and storage from USB flash drives, with no rotating HDDs installed at all. All of them have given 9 months 24/7 service, one of them over 20 months now.
No problems so far with $10US el-cheapo usb flashdrives, an one of them churns the disk for around a quarter of the time as it syncs with other machines every 15 minutes, changeset is about 800MB per day a well as the OS writes. ymmv of course.

Back