Status

Dalas

Prowler
Society
Death Unlimited
Luke Dalas Cambridge
F**k Our Main Agreement.​
Or, F.O.M.A.​

That is the title of this thread. Why, you may ask?

Let me give you a little insight into a competition started last November by the new owner of Club NEVERDIE, John Foma Kalun. This insight will be told as a story from my own perspective.

Who are you then? I hear you ask.

I am the person who posted in this competition thread, the name that is now plastered all over Entropia. If you've logged in since the middle of December 2010, you've definitely seen my contribution to this competition. Let's begin with that, then:

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...5000-peds!!!&p=2606776&viewfull=1#post2606776

Here, in my post, you can clearly see my suggestion. It includes Kaluna, a part of Foma's name, and the magic word: Fortuna (It must also be said that Fortune was my idea, while my girlfriend edited the last letter to "a" while we were discussing it together. We therefore share the prize).

My suggestion: Fortuna Kaluna

Final name: F.O.M.A FORTUNA.

This post was rightly recognised by Foma when looking through the entries as the first entry with the word "Fortuna" as shown in the winners list:

Dalas----------------(page 46)------------1st person to suggest "Fortuna"----------------------- 400 peds

Oh, that's nice, I hear you say.

Is it?

Let's look at this a little more closely.

First, let's start with the very title of the thread I posted my "winning" entry in:

Name that Asteroid and win 5000 peds!!!

"Name that Asteroid" - Check, my word "Fortuna" is all over Entropia and the news, how could anyone miss it?

"...and win 5000 peds!!!" - Wait, what?

Let's look at this number, 5000 peds(!!! - notice how energetically Foma includes three exclamation marks after the "5000 peds", boy must he have been excited to hand those out to the lucky winners). To do this, we can simply head back to that winners list and count up all the prizes given out, and see that they add up to 5000 ped. If not, then... Well, surely Foma is decent enough to stick to his word, why even doubt that it does?

Ok, so here are the numbers:

20 + 150 + 70 + 35 + 70 + 30 + 30 + 50 + 25 + 25 + 400 + 25 + 50 + 30 + 25 + 25 + 25 + 40 + 55 + 60 + 35 + 20 + 25 + 25 + 80 + a hug for Hanne, awwww :ahh:

A grand total of 1425ped + 1 hug.

What's the deal? What happened to this simple maths?

I can see the mistake here! I hear you shouting. What, then, is Foma's mathematics mistake in the calculation of his extremely generous prize giveaway?

Well, if you consider that Fortuna is the only creative part of the name and that Foma himself actually gave the number of 100 - 4000 ped for second prize, the only realistic solution would be that he accidentally forgot the last 0 on your prize, right Dalas? That way there are 5025ped in prizes, but hey, who cares about that 25 ped, right? It's near enough! You blurt out as I watch, amused. The apparent answer becomes clearer to you as you talk, so your sentence speeds up.

Wrong. You stare, dumbfounded, absolutely certain you couldn't have been wrong there.

Let's look at why Foma listed only 1425ped in prizes instead of the magic number, "5000 ped!!!"

The first thing we need to look at:

Top Prize of 5000 peds(1) + the fame of giving a name to the greatest place in any Virtual Universe! will go to anyone whose name idea I end up picking as the new name for the Asteroid. Name will have to be used in its entirety and unmodified - just as you post below in this thread.

Runner Up prize of 100 to 4000 peds(could be several if top prize goes unclaimed) will go to anyone if i end up using any portion of the suggested name (not including regular words like asteroid, of, federation, paradise and so on - but unique/interesting combinations of them will be considered)-amount will be picked by me depending on how much of your idea i have used in the creation of the final name for the Asteroid and how excited i am about it at the moment.

1st place winner - RL Friend for casually blabbing out a name that became a final name--- New Sony(i7) Laptop(wouldn't take the money), thank you Adeli!

Yes, thank you Adeli :)

Thank you for signing up to Planet Calypso Forum, as stated in Foma's original rules.

Thank you for posting your entry in the thread, as stated in Foma's original rules.

Thank you for taking first place from right under my nose, after following the two previous steps, as allowed by Foma's original rules.

But most of all, thank you to Foma for giving us this opportunity to, as you said yourself:

...get players motivated and perhaps even excited about the new Asteroid and all the upcoming changes/improvements- is to let you pick the name. The rules are quite simple:

To let who pick the name? It seems to me that this should read:

"... get players misled and perhaps even riled about the new Asteroid and all the upcoming changes/improvements- is to let you post your 2000 name suggestions in this thread, let me go over them with some girl I'm currently trying to chat up, let her pick out the best and give her the first prize. The rules may look simple, but I'll change them soon anyway:"

So, who is this "Adeli" person anyway?

Well, the first time anybody from Entropia had heard about her, she was the winner of the competition "Name that Asteroid and win 5000 peds!!!" so essentially, no one knows. No one can even verify that this person even exists, unless Foma comes and proves it to us.

Many people were outraged by this sneaky action. See for yourself:

Sorry to be the the one to say this, Foma, but:

Your friend was quite right to refuse the money. This should all have gone to PCF members as promised.

But it's not gonna engender much good feeling and trust when it mostly goes to an unverifiable RL recipient. And a friend of yours at that. Bad mistake, IMO. I hope you'll reconsider and dig deeper into your pockets to distribute 5,000 PED amongst the named PCF prizewinners.

I am outraged this comp. was completed invalid to begin with. So you put out a comp. asking for original names for the asteroid... And you reward a person who had not even registered, let alone posted one SINGLE suggestion just because you walked by him?

It's not that you have no right to spend your money as is. Hey it is yours to begin with. But you can't can't CAN'T put a red harreing in front of everyone and then snatch it back up when people reach out for it. And then act all surprised they would be outraged for it.

You know another person who has done a very similar thing like this and is now spending his time in jail for fraud of this caliber? Jerome P. Jacobson, also know as the ringleader of the Mcdonalds Monopoly scam. Now granted no one payed for your comp at all. But oh man I am so glad you did not charge 1 cent because you would go down as one of Entropia's most hated and loathed land owner in the game's history. Not that you haven't gotten at least a part way now as is.

You should do what is right and reward those who actually followed the rules and split that top prize with those who came close in making the suggestion that the asteroid is now named for and apologize for such an oversight.

wow....really, lol ive been looking at this thread for awhile and have been waiting to see who won the peds and he decides not to hand out the 5000 ped lol wow, great new land owner:scratch2: building up the trust so soon lmao i agree 100% with jaywalker very disappointing.

I think the reason you are getting complaints is this; you posted a 5,000 PED comp... It might have seemed too good to be true; naming the place after a private comment from a friend means it was, and might put people off entering other events. Why enter if none of the entries are picked, and no-one following the rules can win? It's nice you gave out a few bucks to the 'runner's up' but if you had no intention of using only the competition entries then the competition itself is flawed. 'Fun for the community' is not seeing a comp that promised 5,000 ped become effectively null and void.

Hurrikane

... Awarding someone outside of the competition structure,
ie. Not posted in this thread,
is a really bad & distrustful move.

... I also happen to agree that how this event was handled was very poor at best, and to not compensate the individuals who actually did submit both of the names he conveniently blended together, but choose a friend from outside the game, really does make him look bad, and it's not good publicity at all.

I agree. This is not okay behaviour from OP. He should honestly be ashamed.

Has this contest turned you away from going to Fortuna?
Most definitely. I would only go there to do missions and leave after completion. And it's not "Fortuna", it's "F.O.M.A. - FORTUNA". That's a difference of 4600 PEDs.

wtf?

Foma, you're giving Dalas only 400 PED - when it looks as if he actually gave you the main name for your astroide (F.O.M.A. is just kind of your own name, right?)? At least a split would have been fair :rolleyes: ??

- This competition has been a big scam...

not sure if this was a scam... I see a 5000 ped prize offered for the namer of the old CND. I see a bunch of winners, on the 1st - 2nd post.

I don't see 5k ped or anything even close, for the weiners, (winners).

on the old EF... that would be one thing, shrug. On the new FPC forum.. it's quite another, IMO. Pay up sucker.

But I can tell you what a lot of people think: that you invented this RL friend of yours to avoid paying out so much in prizes. This is what I've been hearing in-game, predictably. I tried to warn you, and to prompt you to think about how it would look. Now, you can cast apersions on , neg rep me and spam my vistors page with a full repetion of your post, but that isn't going to stop all those other people thinking that. It only makes you look worse, IMO.

Exactly right, the more he tries to justify his actions, the worse his reputation seem to get, especially with me and most I’ve spoke to, just disappointing to say the least. Im glad I don’t mine anymore, wont be visiting that la for a long time

Event had rules here, I see just around 1k peds in prizes here on forum, out of forum noone knows what happen, I just think never should happen... from me -rep...

Foma tried to defend himself:

Now why would you give me -rep for the event that i organised and payed over 7k total peds out of my pocket for? I am sorry you didnt win but there were around 200pages of posts and most of people didnt win either you know. I clearly stated in the rules from the very beginning that i will only give out 1st prize to someone whose idea i use entirely. Noone from this forum has come up with an idea that i have used(do you really think i didnt use someone's name to save 5k peds on one time chance of renaming 3.35M ped asteroid?) and yet i decided to give out free peds to people that i thought put in time and effort to think for at least a minute instead of repeating others. People like you is exactly the reason LA owners dont do events payed for out of their own pockets and use Taxes to pay out any prizes...

And got totally ripped to shreds after trying to play the "I'm sorry you didn't win, but I paid..." card on someone who didn't even enter the competition:

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...5000-peds!!!&p=2634351&viewfull=1#post2634351

And by his own rules:

You also stated clearly in the now removed rules that, should one wish to participate in this competition, the suggestion should be posted in this thread. Other ways, such as pm-ing, talking etc. were fine but would exclude the suggestion from the competition.

To me it seems that you broke your own rules. Be it intentional or not, it just stinks.

Hi poor people, we hear you're hungry. Guess the name of the teddy bear and win a months supply of food!

Thanks for your entries, we've called the teddy bear Steve and the food got thrown away......

Why aren't you happy? It was free! Now come and play with the teddy bear!

Hurrikane

Many people were confused by who won this conpetition:

pesok can i ask who won the 5k prize? cause doesnt seem to say on the 2nd post... maybe a few ppl winning odd low amounts maybe not even 500peds.. :(.

Since the secret is out in the relase notes, did anyone win?

lol.

I guess I missed it, who did win the 5k PEDs? Whoever it was can we see a front page story on him / her?

Please Please.

And some didn't even see the reason for the competition itself:

What I don't understand is why there was even a "contest" for a name, because right in the first post of the contest thread pesok states that he had already thought of the abbreviation F.O.M.A. himself? :scratch2:

Of the abbreviation, Foma has to say:

The full name is
Federated Orbital Mutlidome Asteroid(by hiding behind abbreviation i can always change it:)))

Admitting, clear as day, that the FOMA part of the name doesn't matter at all, and as Audrey Cheerful rightly projected:

That "Foma" would be added for ego stroking is kinda obvious in retrospect.

It wasn't the only thing Foma was hiding behind either, he also simply hid himself away for a while, until the thread went quiet and the dust had cleared, and after doing just a couple of prize giveaways where about three people managed to pick up their prizes. When he came back, he busted out the classic:

Back from unexpected family trip(had a 1 hour notice b4 the flight) and ready to resume the giveaways, check the 2nd post for new locations(will try to schedule again on both Calypso as well as Fortuna to accomodate every1).

As well as what, sorry? Didn't quite catch that one.

One real shame about this competition was that some people, who had objections about how Foma ran the entire thing, even stuck up for people who spoke up against him, but were muted by fear of not getting their designated prize, never spoke up. Instead, they showed their gratitude for the prize they weren't really happy with, but took it anyway, without showing a shred of their real opinion in the thread. Sure enough, around 1% of the posts in Foma's thread were actually positive. When looking through the Winners List, it becomes obvious why most of these people are so positive towards the contest: None of their ideas were used but they are still rewarded with peds. I don't blame them really. That's a great deal:

finally met FOMA and recived my PEDs. :yay: :yay:
i´m aware lots of people are a lil pissed how this ended but i think it was a great idea to include the community in such a way and even reward a couple of us.
Thanks again

ty pesok , today i received my ped today at Cape Corinth :)

So, I'd just like to say:

Thank you to Foma for giving first place in a completely underhanded and behind-the-scenes manner to such a rule-abiding entry, completely innocent of breaking your own rules such as taking ideas fairly posted in the forum, smashing a couple together (i.e your own Avatar name and the suggestion I was credited with posting first), posting this in PCF (even joining up for that matter) and doing it all in such a graceful and creative way as to impress you to the point of screwing the whole damn competition up by claiming to have paid over 7k ped but actually only giving out less than 1.5k ped!

Oh, and I'm eternally grateful for the 420 ped you actually gave me. I know you appreciate the name I suggested as much as I appreciate my 1/10th share of your conpetition prize. The extra 20 just blew me away. Oh the generosity.

Last edited:
Boycot the asteroid! He paid much more for it.

Show him what his asteroid is really worth without the people he alienates!

I think this original post is well built and have valid point.

I can only see Foma agree... he should reward more to actual forum participant rather than a random friend in RL...

Im sure it doenst have much impact if i say i wont go to FOMA until i see someone as involved as dallas(awsome healer)...

But what if alot of ppl actually doesnt go upthere till he acknowledge is mistake and correct it, its possible...

Good Luck Dalas, ive been scammed for 100ped recently... 100ped!!!! doh!

It seem the new year start off with ppls who doesnt care about their reputation...

i can affirm you were kinda scammed yourself except it didnt cost u anything :p

I agree, you should have got at least 4000 Ped for coming up with Fortuna. Many people came up with acronyms of FOMA (including myself) but you appear to be the clear winner.

I hope the new owner has a change of heart and gives you a second instalment.

Last edited:
I thought there was clear stand alone 5k ped winner for the assteroid naming competition here in PCF.
well if no one have won that 5k and story is garbling around RL friend suggestion then screw that story and give me that fucking 5k ped so that i can smoke it in ur domes for nrf.

Dalas missed a bit out. Yep really! :eyecrazy:

Just to rub it in even more, Foma published the winners list, along with their winning suggestions, wayyy before he added the prize amounts. The RL friend did NOT appear on this list .

This led everybody who looked at the OP - including Dalas- to believe that Dalas had hit the jackpot. So it was a real let-down when Dalas got only 400 PED.

If Foma had MEANT to act like a prick and let people down, he couldn't possibly have made a better job of it

jay

You love quoting the rules over and over, but only where they support your interpretation - but, according to these very rules, you did not qualify for the "Top Prize of 5000 peds":

Name will have to be used in its entirety and unmodified - just as you post below in this thread.

And you perfectly know that:

My suggestion: Fortuna Kaluna

Final name: F.O.M.A FORTUNA.

Final name =/= Your suggestion. End of story.

And, you got one of the "Runner up prizes", didn't you?

And on a sidenote:

Crap like this:

Let's look at this number, 5000 peds(!!! - notice how energetically Foma includes three exclamation marks after the "5000 peds", boy must he have been excited to hand those out to the lucky winners).

doesn't make me wanna throw PEDs at you either.
(and this is neither the only immature paragraph in your opening post, nor the worst...)

I kinda like your original suggestion better than what was actually decided upon.. but I don't plan on going there any time soon so I don't really care (though the global spam is REALLY annoying)

Wow I've never seen Dalas this upset, riled or even angry before, :holyshit: HE MUST BE SERIOUS!!!. But yeah I liked Dalas suggestion a lot Fortuna Kaluna rythmes really well :). I still think that he should of got the 4k if not the 5k prize. Grats on winning the smaller portion Dalas ;).

@ wizzszz you should look here mate...
Runner Up prize of 100 to 4000 peds(could be several if top prize goes unclaimed) will go to anyone if i end up using any portion of the suggested name.
Which means Dalas was in the reign of claiming the 4k prize since Foma used a portion of what he posted.
Does he not :scratch2:?

@ wizzszz you should look here mate...

Which means Dalas was in the reign of claiming the 4k prize since Foma used a portion of what he posted.
Does he not :scratch2:?

Well, he got a runner up prize in the 100 to 4000 PED range, didn't he?

Runner Up prize of 100 to 4000 peds

That you would adjudge him the full reward (4000 PED) is nice, but only depends on your personal opinion - others (in particular foma) do not have to share this opinion, do they?

And to make that absolutely clear:
I do not pick a side here, just trying to point out that Dalas' reward was correct, according to the rules.
That a higher reward would have been better is obvious, but merely a gift from foma, as the rules were already satisfied.

Last edited:
Regardless of what Dalas deserves or doesn't deserve... It does seem that the community was expecting more in total than was given...

Making good on a few hundred bucks in some way, shape, or form seems like a small price to pay for the good faith of Foma's income base...

I dunno seems like a bit of a dog act to be honest, especially when the inspiration for the final name clearly came from here. Hell the 2 even rhyme. The fact that he decided to swap foma for kaluna to avoid payin the prize is crap and almost make it seem like he never had any intention of choosing an entry and using it "in its entirety and unmodified"

To then pay less than 10% of the grand prize to the best entry.... total bullshit.

Either way its funny watching foma's rep bar shrink over this whole blowup lol

I do not pick a side here, just trying to point out that Dalas' reward was correct, according to the rules.
That a higher reward would have been better is obvious, but merely a gift from foma, as the rules were already satisfied.

Wizzszz, you are right as far as you go. If you read the small print Foma didn't exactlypromise to pay out a BIG second prize, if first prize wasn't won, he just gave that impression.

Where he went really badly wrong was in awarding first prize to an IRL friend who might be entirely fictitious so far as we can tell and who hadn't even entered the competion. Also, note that this "prizewinner" was clearly disqualified according to his own rules

Which rules? The ones he conveniently deleted , but there are plenty of people who remember them. With a bit of luck, maybe somebody even has the original OP on their hard drive?

He also went wrong in repeatedly claiming to have paid out over 7k in prizes, when the so-called first prize clearly doesn't count, no more than your own christmas present to your gf would count as an EF competition prize

There would be a huge stink if prizes for an IRL promotional competition were awarded the same way. And if the promoters responded to criticism by saying : "What's the big deal? you got a lot a fun for free. And we're bloody generous when you think about it, you ungrateful bastards" (or words to that effect). Why should it be different here?

jay :)

Last edited:
an overtaxed mining rock with meager markup ore and enmatter. Not really a reason to visit is there?

I only followed this half hearted BUT

Dalas is one oldest players there are, even older than the vast majority of ubers roaming EU these days. He has an exceptional reputation and I have never seen him being out of order, neither have I seen him that angry.

From what I read in the initial post, he also has a very strong argument. One could argue any amount between the 400 and the 4000 BUT in my humble opinion its not fair to give out 1425 ped if you promised 5000 ...

That said. foma is an overtaxed, low markup resource, overmined, travel fee invoked planet for which I still fail to see the massive attraction. Its also lacking a decent auction (or if you use it, you pay massive travel fees). Amethera/Eudoria mining beats foma hands down any day ...

And yes, I am biased being a landowner in Amethera but you can look for posts prior to acquiring OLA 57 and seen me arguing ever since.

Angel

Ok, so he didn`t pay out 5000 peds in total. Ok, it might be a bit non-ethical, he didn`t follow his own rules etc., but you and others still got free peds for doing - well nothing really... :scratch2:

Dalas was one of the very first players I met in this game. He taught me about eco sweating and low level hunting. He taught me how a community in an RCE environment could treat each other well. As a matter of fast, though I am far his senior in age, he taught me that goodness comes in many flavors, and from unexpected places.

All of that being said, I would never defend Dalas just because he has been so good to me. But I will defend him here, just because he is correct. FOMA quite obviously chickened out on his promised prize. I do not care if Dalas himself got the entire 5k, but giving away one quarter of the headline prize? In total! Spread amongst many people! And with a mystery friend involved!!!

See those 3 exclamation points FOMA?

It's all just another day on EU though in the end. A bunch of money grubbing people all pretending to give a crap about each other.

At least Dalas has proven time and time again that he actually does care about his fellow players (at least the ones who bother to get to know him). A rare sight indeed in this game.

I was clearly sure he would distribute the 4000ped to runners up...

From what have been seen is he made a RL friend win is event, which is unfair.

What i think is the maint point of dalas is foma didnt distribute the 4000peds to forum user/players. Which should be is main goal...

maybe 400ped to dalas wasnt enuff...

Maybe he should just had inflated the price of everyone he awarded something to around 30% MORE and it would still have distributed under 4000ped... along with a paid trip up/down

That would been marketing!

Normal payout atm have been of this layout.

26 payout for a total of 1425ped atm.

1425 * 130% = 1852 payout.
26ppl x 80ped trip fee = 2080.

Choice to buy oa-103 at TT cost limit 2per customer.

This would spread out the real payout how it should been, award money to player, bring them on your asteroid, give them a opportunity to buy decent tt cost amp to burn on your asteroid.

What would been the chance of those money back in your pocket? If a ATH or HOF or a few of those ppl up would been mining and hunting a bit since there up... that would been still a 5% of all the cycling you could be generating... all back to you...

Its called a marketing plan buddy.

Last edited:
No offense to OP, but he's going completely in the wrong direction.

IMO Foma did it very well with the contest.

He clearly said that the man that comes with the name receives 5000 ped, runner/s up with something over 100+ ped,
so Foma could give to OP 100 ped, nothing more and I would still considering it right.
More that that he awarded some small prizes to other people he was not forced to...

To be honest I see OP as a beggar, just looking at the size of the main post, all those quotes... OMG!, get a life dude.

Ahhh... the drama :tongue2:

He clearly said that the man that comes with the name receives 5000 ped, runner/s up with something over 100+ ped,
so Foma could give to OP 100 ped, nothing more and I would still considering it right.
More that that he awarded some small prizes to other people he was not forced to...

To be honest I see OP as a beggar, just looking at the size of the main post, all those quotes... OMG!, get a life dude.

I can say from experience that Dalas is anything but a beggar!

I agree, maybe its better not to give away free peds and stay neutral? Otherwise, it looks like giving free peds for practicly nothing gives you bad rep...

Well, he got a runner up prize in the 100 to 4000 PED range, didn't he?

That you would adjudge him the full reward (4000 PED) is nice, but only depends on your personal opinion - others (in particular foma) do not have to share this opinion, do they?

I love a quote from Civ V which is "Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy"...

Well, personaly i don´t like rules much, and if there are rules i love to "stretch" them. What Forma did may be somehow by the rules. Not total since he picked a name suggestion which wasn´t given in the thread. But ok, if he did not like the suggestions there he is free to pick whatever name he liked - and he is free to give away whatever he likes to that person.
Not to pay out the 5k in eventprices may be by the rules but not by the feel of justice...

anyway, i think Forma has been punished for that with his selected name... "F.O.M.A. Fortuna" simply sucks :laugh:

quality ranting.

seems people want to discuss the exact rules of the payout, which the OP does seem to have missed the details of, though they miss the real point that Pesok clearly cheated all genuine participants by not actually paying out the prize. i think 5k was too big a prize, would have been better to offer 500 and actually pay it.

also overlooks the fact the F.O.M.A Fortuna is a crap name too. its should just be Fortuna, other than here, i will never be writting F.O.M.A.

You gave me money! But not enough money!

If you close your eyes and concentrate hard enough, you can actually hear a whistling sound as the points fly at high speed over people's heads

I think the lesson from this all is - if you announce a competition to name something, you need to understand that you are bound by the rules yourself, including not accepting names outside the competition.

I think the lesson from this all is - if you announce a competition to name something, you need to understand that you are bound by the rules yourself, including not accepting names outside the competition.

This is certainly the main point, but not the only point, at least from my standpoint.

But just taking this point alone, I can't see how anyone would disagree that the contest ended rather questionably. And this comes from someone who did not bother entering. I can say for sure that I would not enter any contest run by him in the future though.

Foma may well be a nice guy, I can't speak to that as I have had no personal interaction, but in life, perception (or rather perception of any large group) is tantamount to reality.

Status
Back