Hacked

It isn't the DJ's I would worry about....or the people you voice chat with on private voice servers. It is the people who run the servers themselves or have access to the IP info stored on them. With that they have a better chance of finding a point of entry on your computer through blasting all ports with a detection software. If you have any they can get into then your hacked easily.

Don't use ventrilo or private music stream sites unless you are certain you have a secure comp and a good router with a firewall.:wise:

*hands over a tinfoilhat*

This is another example of:

Cars need drivers licence (at least in some countries :silly2:)

About time computers need the same.

Along with:

1) Don't drink when you operate your computer.
2) Don't use drugs when you operate your computer.

Then such things won't happen.

Funny how cars and computers are alike, no? Only thing is if you mess up with car, meaning crashing into a wall, someone will notice. If you messup your computer it is always the misterous "hacker" or "trojan" or "virus".

99% of error sit in front of the computer.

"omg my computer stopped working"
"what did you do?"
"nothing"
"so you are sitting in front of your computer doing nothing?"
"yeah, why?"
"maybe we should contact your teamleader to tell him you didn't work the whole morning?"
"uhm, ah well, I clicked..."

Just one of thousand stories happening to support each and every day.

It isn't the DJ's I would worry about....or the people you voice chat with on private voice servers. It is the people who run the servers themselves or have access to the IP info stored on them...

or websites? they see and store your IP too. such paranoia, if you are worried about being hacked by giving your IP out, the only way to be safe is to remove the rj45. :laugh:

ports are only vulnerable if there is a application the other side listening and it is insecure enough to be hacked remotely, or was put there by another rogue application.

Last edited:
Funny how cars and computers are alike

You know what happens when you have an IT guy driving a car when anything breaks down?
He switches it off and then back on again in hope a reboot will work...

Now, I considered it funny, but one day my car started flushing a little red icon showing engine problems. I called my car repairman and he asked: "have you tried switching all off and then back on again??". I tried and the car run smoothly to the service centre where they said nothing was wrong...

So yes... PCs and cars are very much alike. Don't use them if you drunk, don't use them on drugs, do reboot in case of trouble :laugh:

Now back on topic.
It seems GC saves your ass anyway. Even if you get unlucky enough to get hacked (or you piss someone off enough to make them try to hack you) they may change some details but won't be able to log in.
So, to all who have anything worth rl money on their accounts - get a bloody GC! It ain't that expensive and it may save you in times of trouble.

I'd also advice having few e-mail addressses and the one you use for Entropia keep just for this one purpose. I have it done this way - different e-mail for EU, different for forum, different for job issues. Accounts are not related, from different places, different servers. PC locked with a password, noone can access my PC without my knowledge. All passwords with small and capital letters and numbers.
Ofc it may all get hacked, but why should you make hacker's job any easier?

You know what happens when you have an IT guy driving a car when anything breaks down?
He switches it off and then back on again in hope a reboot will work...

WRONG! That ONLY applies to Microsoft Certified Systems Engineers.
Real operating systems don't need to be rebooted.

*hands over a tinfoilhat*

Sorry, I don't want you to not be protected. You keep wearing it so Big Brother can't probe your mind. :tongue2:

or websites? they see and store your IP too. such paranoia, if you are worried about being hacked by giving your IP out, the only way to be safe is to remove the rj45. :laugh:

ports are only vulnerable if there is a application the other side listening and it is insecure enough to be hacked remotely, or was put there by another rogue application.

Yes, some websites may only exist to farm IP address, e-mail info and other identity theft data. Others are safe except the people who may have access to the servers, and some are not safe because they themselves get hacked and your info gets out that way.

Some hackers may just snoop around in your comp for fun, others will do it to steal info, and the nasty ones do it to use your comp to hack other people from remotely so you look like the hacker. :eyecrazy:

If you spot a pop-up warning you that something happened on your computer it may have been a beginner cracker figuring things out.....the experienced ones you wouldn't notice while they are in your comp. :laugh:

You think I am paranoid but you really should think about how unsafe most Microsoft apps and OS are for internet security. One perfect example was Windows 98 where you could just close the log on window and you had same access to comp....it was just a network and profile log on.

Back