Mars One Project - Who's going?

Just read in Swedish news that 78000 people have applied for Mars One so far... Two weeks after they started accepting applications, now.

Just read in Swedish news that 78000 people have applied for Mars One so far... Two weeks after they started accepting applications, now.

I’ve not seen the news, although I would assume, of those 78,000:

75,000 said they’ll go, until they have to step into the rocket, then have a change of heart.
70,000 are mentally or physically inadequate for the journey, let alone life on Mars.
77,500 will not have the charisma or sex appeal required for the TV programme.
5000 will start new lives, get married and have children before the departure
100 are likely to die before the departure date

So of the above at least 100 will change their mind, are mentally screwed up, overweight and have dismal character or sex appeal. Yet they’re still likely to find a mate and have kids, before they have an unfortunate accident and die before the departure date.

Please add to the reasons of failure to acquire a seat on the mission for laughs.

Rick

I think it's very optimistic to say the least.

1) timeframe - it seems kinda small and has to begin very soon. First launch in 2016? Considering they have just the idea and some technical data and idea about what technologies they will use and from whom to buy... I mean sometimes a simple satellite launch to the orbit can drag on forever. And those usually are regularly planned and entities just "buy their place with the rocket". MSL project started in 2004, it took them ~8 years to build the rover, the spaceship and to launch it all. These guys say they will start working in 2014 and by 2016 will launch the first mission. Seriously? 2 years? My bet is that nothing will launch before 2020 or something like (assuming it will actually start). I just don't see how something like a very specific space mission to mars could be put together so fast.

2) money - Firstly they don't have it. Secondly, show me one project in the history of mankind that in the end actually costs as little as stated in the beginning. Lol, even small construction projects in your town/city are almost always way off and are more expensive than planned (yes, there is greed, corruption too, but even without it, its that way often). MSL at the beginning was thought to be a medium size project with a maximum funding of ~650 million USD. Well, in the end it was 2.4 billion USD. Ofc their ambitions probably grew with time, more and more things were needed, setbacks, unexpected costs etc. but still, its what will happen with this too. Their website says: "The proposed Mars One budget includes a large safety margin to take into account significant mission failures as well as smaller but costly failures of components on Mars." ROFL, I have heard that before. :lolup:

3) Their idea looks something like this:

put in on tv
???
Profit
???
Mars Colony

It's quite ambitious thinking that this will work, to say the least.

That's just the start of all the problems w/o even going anywhere, w/o actually doing anything. I think you might as well put a 5 year old in charge of this and all the planning. For me its complete BS (not a scam, don't get me wrong, I just don't see them actually getting anywhere).

I think you might as well put a 5 year old in charge of this and all the planning. For me its complete BS (not a scam, don't get me wrong, I just don't see them actually getting anywhere).

I bet many made the same statement about an idea called Project Entropia once upon a time.

Menace

I bet many made the same statement about an idea called Project Entropia once upon a time.

Menace
That ain't really an equal comparison. IT systems and infrastructure have come a long way since Project Entropia was dreamed up. Space exploration, particularly manned space exploration, has been stagnating for decades now.

I'm sure we'll (as a race) get to Mars one day, but this lot are planning to use a launch vehicle thats less than four metres in diameter. That seriously limits the space that the first pioneers will have (their own artwork depicts them being housed in tin cans that are not much wider than they are tall. Surely such pioneers deserve better than that.

Building a manned station on the moon would be more likely, it's certainly the way NASA have proposed to do it. Test the technology while still allowing for an escape if required.

It's a perfect place to build telescopes while allowing them to be maintained and give the people involved something to do other than mundane tasks just to occupy their time.

The other situation is that just someone off the street is unlikely to even get a look in any team member would need to have a scientific background - geologists, doctors, physicists, chemists, biologists and structural engineers otherwise they're just a waste of resources.

..... depicts them being housed in tin cans that are not much wider than they are tall. Surely such pioneers deserve better than that.

LOL....that really made me laugh.

Rick

Help get an Entropian to Mars!

I finally put in my application for Mars-One and would love some support!
I'm surprised I'm the first on here to say they've applied.
Hoping they won't let too many safety concerns stop the trip.
Please view, rate (5 stars:)) share and like it.
<removed>

http://applicants.mars-one.com/
Search under Australia, I'm Kane.

Last edited:
Good luck and hope you make it!

:)

When someone dies, do the others have to drink him?

To be fair, you have a point. ;)

With global warming, several huge asteroids in route to possible impact paths, Real life "zombie outbreaks". and all the "normal" war and bs on this planet...

Why oh why.

Would anyone want to come back?

To spend all the frequent flyer miles you get for taking the trip?

Made it to round 2

Just wanted to let everyone know I made it through to the second selection
round for Mars One!

round for Mars One!
Gratz!! If you make it, can I hide out in your luggage? :D

is there any I-net onboard ?

I really doubt any human would survive without it anymore .lol , insane within an hour : )

round for Mars One!

Gratz, I guess, but isn't round two the physical and psychological part? Imho its 10 times more challenging tbh. But gl anyway.

I would say more, but probably will get censored so:

Looking at the picture of applicants, many of them seems unable to lift a fork at the young age of 25, others will put a strain on the fuel consumption to leave Earth.

Also some will have to face the cold reality that in space, their diploma in the field of the extinct musical lizards from Masturbania is not as valuable as it seems...

Assuming this actually does happen , how many are they thinking of sending ?

round for Mars One!

Gratz! And very gl to you on your testing. Don't know whether you're really brave or really nuts. ;)

So they offer the chance to go spend 500 days on a deserted desert rock in a prison sized structure; where if anything goes wrong you will die and no'one is around to help. Chances are you don't make it there, and if you do, chances are you don't make it back.

And you ask if I would go there? :eyecrazy:
Might as well got to the sun instead; it's less painful and atleast you get a tan :cool:

I liked the mars one concept until they did not accept my ex.

congrats on advancement :yay:, cant wait for the headlines, sounds like a moneymaker already.

Hottie69 goes to space. :D

With global warming, several huge asteroids in route to possible impact paths, Real life "zombie outbreaks". and all the "normal" war and bs on this planet...

Climate change and a polluted atmosphere, caused by man. Wars, man again. There will be asteroids whatever planet you stand on. I've no idea what zombies you mean.

We have well and truly messed this planet up, perhaps we should learn how to undo the damage before moving on to the next one.

Climate change and a polluted atmosphere, caused by man. Wars, man again. There will be asteroids whatever planet you stand on. I've no idea what zombies you mean.

We have well and truly messed this planet up, perhaps we should learn how to undo the damage before moving on to the next one.

there is enough planets out there for us to consume them all. it might just be our destiny to do so, if not a couple of practice planets wont make a dent.

PS: google bath salts zombie

there is enough planets out there for us to consume them all. it might just be our destiny to do so, if not a couple of practice planets wont make a dent.

PS: google bath salts zombie

You mean like a cancer ?:) Spread out, multiply like crazy and kill the host?

One of the best projects ever if you ask me

... And the "human" aspect is imo overrated. Every day, thousands of ppl get killed, kill themselves, smoke, drug and drink themselves to death ... We are talking about 4 ppl here (initially) that are happy to give their life for something bigger, for something groundbreaking ...

Good luck Mars one and rest assured, I have supported, am supporting and will be supporting you in the future :)

Angel

Climate change and a polluted atmosphere, caused by men
and women. Just to give equal credit, as deserved :)

Climate has this nasty habit of changing all the time regardless of our will, and the SUN also mess with it, the bastard. The climate "change" mission getting stuck at South Pole was a real treat, one should know better to trust winter more than some fabricated data.

Otherwise I will be happy to ensure a 28 degrees Celsius around me all the time for the rest of my life. And Mars is not that place...

there is enough planets out there for us to consume them all

Celebrate the "Human Achievement Day" on 22 April, and become a member of "People Eating a Tasty Animal" (PETA) society, like me :)

Back