Mouse problem

dj.

Marauder
Society
Freelancer
Dejay dj Jaguar
Im trying to help my friend here, this was posted in the bug report thread, but its one of many, and someone that may have encountered it and fixed it, might not want to trawl the entire thread to try to see it, and offer advise.

So here goes;

Not sure if its just me, but ever since VU10 I have had terrible problems clicking successfully on anything in EU with the mouse. Takes me around 20 attempts before my click (right or left) on anything is successfully registered by the game and the required action is performed. This covers everything that I use the mouse for - interacting with auctioneer, storage, icons, chat window etc. Trying to type in soc and general chat is a nightmare, having to try and click on those little tiny chat channel buttons. Auction is also a pain :silly2:

Same mouse as always, mouse performs today as it always has in every other program, its just EU VU10.... :confused:

Please help my friend, any advice is appreciated, thank-you :wtg:

You'd really need the systems error report from windows to get an idea on this.
I do know that there are some problems emerging with HID (Human Interface Device) and drivers.
I had a recent problem with a USB TV card that I installed and the driver changed the behaviour of my HID which led to fatal keyboard issues ingame....I could not toggle from mouse steer to cursor mode without 30+ seconds of lag.
In the need I had to use a fresh cloned drive as I could not remove what the install had done to my registry.
I'd be interested to know if this is happening to others as your freinds problem seems very similar.

I could not toggle from mouse steer to cursor mode without 30+ seconds of lag.

I'd be interested to know if this is happening to others as your freinds problem seems very similar.

Seems so, she reports clicking on f.e storage 30 times just to open it :eek:

Ive posted this link to our private forum so she will see it, I so hope your post helps, or someone can, so thanx.

:)

Been happening to me too. I have to click dead center on any button. Its really getting aggravating.

^^ what he said. I've noticed though that it is a combination of centering properly and waiting enough time as if it takes a couple of seconds for EU to understand what you are pointing at - this probably because other stuff is getting loaded or whatever at the same time and cursor position is in queue.

<snip>Please help my friend, any advice is appreciated, thank-you :wtg:

Thanks DJ :hug: :)

Been happening to me too. I have to click dead center on any button. Its really getting aggravating.

^^ what he said. I've noticed though that it is a combination of centering properly and waiting enough time as if it takes a couple of seconds for EU to understand what you are pointing at - this probably because other stuff is getting loaded or whatever at the same time and cursor position is in queue.

Thank goodness for that, I thought it was just me. I tried centering, I also looked into whether the position of the mouse pointer for a successful click was offset in some way, but it doesn't seem to be. I have found that sometimes I am not able to click again where I just had a successful click, so tbh I have no idea what is going on :D

I've just started logging straight back out again when its bad :(

Like the post above I
:tiphat:
and thank you
:dj:

I thought it was just a personal lag problem and it's been driving me insane... I hope they put this on the top of their fix it list... as it makes playing almost impossible

:(

big +REP

Reactions: dj.
Sounds like a combo of packet loss+ something not sure.

Try this:
Before login, Set connection speed to lowest (56k)
Run in safe mode (or ingame, set all settings to low)
When load, in options control - tick the box "Use system cursor"
In Options: Graphics - untick the box "wait for vertical synchronisation"

If you disconnect(not crash) on 56k(sometimes happens), try 256k

Report back any improvements/and or how much it didn't work : P

Try this:

All at once? If so I'll try that tomorrow.

I can tell you that on my last login earlier this evening I managed to select 'Use system cursor', took me a few minutes and I think it did improve slightly, although not enough to make a real difference.

Hope this works, anyone else tried it yet?

Bumping this up, any more idea's/tips out there?

:wtg:

Try this:

All at once? If so I'll try that tomorrow.

I can tell you that on my last login earlier this evening I managed to select 'Use system cursor', took me a few minutes and I think it did improve slightly, although not enough to make a real difference.

Yes, all at once :)
By doing the above, hopefully it sets EU running at a base level for you - if you have no issue clicking when it's running at slowest connection and lowest graphics, it gives us something to work from. If it does work, you can then start changing one option at a time (increasing graphics quality gradually) to work out which graphic option (if it turns out to be a graphic option) is making you get this lag.

For example, I experienced a similar issue where changing one graphic setting (shading) made a world of difference to my fps - I had real problems with storage etc, and changing it meant i could dump loot to storage in 10 seconds and not 10 minutes.

OK, just logged in as you suggested, big improvement in clicking and fps :yay:

Thank you :)

Tweaking now in progress.

OK, after much tweaking today, I have settled on the following setup for the moment, which seems to give me the best successful-mouse-clickage while being able to see and move, and the best fps.

I started with Immortal's base suggestion.

Increased my window size to 1280x768x32 (bigger makes a couple of fps difference, not much)
Increased connection speed to 256k
All graphics remain on low except for:
Avatar Quality, Objects Quality, Texture Quality - Very High
Shading Quality, Shadows Quality - Medium

Before changing, fps in a shop container was less than 5, mouse was useless.
Out hunting (don't use the mouse much, thankfully, lol), around 20 fps, mouse still useless.

On Immortal's base suggestion, fps in shop container, around 30. Out hunting, around 48. Mouse, fine :)

Tweaked settings as above, in a container, 15 or so fps, out hunting, 37 ish. Again, mouse, big improvement.

I'm sure further tweaking can be done, but I am done for now lol. Don't know if this will help anyone else, but reporting just in case :ahh:

Thanks DJ and Immortal :yay:

Did a simple tweaking this morning and notice immediate improvement... in mouse use... and clicking on items... I set my shading to medium which took off the anti aliasing... another help in deceasing the lag was increasing the amount of memory on the hard drive the computer can use for operations... It was set way to low a 200 MB's I increased it to 5000 MB's and it it allowed me to run at a high setting... this last tweaking seems to have improved it even further...

Ditto on the thanks to Dj and Immortal

Back