Help: My computer wont start. Is it posible to 'jumpstart' a computer using 230VAC?

Kimmi

Slayer
Kimmi Kimmi EFnet
I just got home after 2weeks offshore, and while I was away I ordered
-Corsair SSD P128
-XFX Radeon HD 5970 2GB GDDR5

I just picked them up from the post office and was ready to do a backup of my old hhd before putting in the new ssd.

Now my computer wont start, like to chance in hell!!!!

In norway we use 230VAC power outlet and put it in my computer but since this isnt helping, is there any where I can 'jumpstart' my computer with additional power ???

Please help, I dunno what to do :(

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

w00hoo she is working now, look how pretty she is

Last edited:
Try connecting it directly to the transmission lines. That will give about 110kV

I have never heard of jump starting a computer. Not like a heart or a car where you can just shock it back to life. Maybe it`s a bad power supply? Definitely sounds like a power issue if your not getting anything at all...no lights. sounds etc.

Now my computer wont start, like to chance in hell!!!!

In norway we use 230VAC power outlet and put it in my computer but since this isnt helping, is there any where I can 'jumpstart' my computer with additional power ???

hard to tell what's the problem without more info, but fwiw, i had a similar problem with my old PC. i left it unused for several weeks/months, and then, it wouldn't boot. the PSU had a flashing green led, indicating that something was wrong.

what i did is the following (warning: you have to break apart the whole PC, so do it at your own risk):

- unplug power cord from PSU
- disconnect the main power cable that goes from PSU to mother board
- plug power cord again into PSU (the green led stopped flashing)
- reconnect the main power cable from PSU into the mother board
- turn on the PC

It Could be that your memory (RAM) is a little miss placed, or as jdegre said.. It could even be that simple as the power cord are disconnected or the powersorce are out.. Please give a little more specific of the problem (do it start at all?, is it still dark but the fan is going?, do you hear any sounds? etc.)

Could be you need a power supply upgrade. That graphics card is top of the range is that right?
They use a lot of juice! Also make sure you have connected the additional power cable to the card.

Any idea how many watts the existing psu is?

Could be you need a power supply upgrade. That graphics card is top of the range is that right?
They use a lot of juice! Also make sure you have connected the additional power cable to the card.

Any idea how many watts the existing psu is?

I havent put in any of my new parts yet, I wanted to do a backup of the old first....

There is a green light on my MB, is that good ???

Kimmi, I suggest you not to play with the 230V line, if you don't have the expertize. :)

or as jdegre said.. It could even be that simple as the power cord are disconnected or the powersorce are out..

just to make clear my previous post, it is not simply a matter of "disconnect and reconnect everything again". the key issue was in my case to "feed" the PSU with power, without the motherboard attached to it (and without turning on the PC, obviously). and, after that, reconnect the motherboard power cable (while the PSU keeps the power cord "on").

it's as if the PSU detected that something was wrong in the motherboard as soon as i plugged the power cord into the PSU. but if i plug the power cord in the PSU, without the motherboard attached, it does not detect any problems.

-XFX Radeon HD 5970 2GB GDDR5

With this GPU, at komplett.no they say its recommended with 650W PSU, My guess would be something to do with the PSU. Try the old GPU and see. If that doesnt work, try the old HDD with the new GPU etc.

Edit: I see you havent put them in yet.. lol. The green led on the motherboard should indicate that its powered, that is a good thing haha. So have you done anything with the pc since you came home?

Last edited:
I havent put in any of my new parts yet, I wanted to do a backup of the old first....

There is a green light on my MB, is that good ???

In that case maybe a voltage line on psu is dead.
Any chance you have a voltmeter?
The different colours of the wires coming from the psu represent a particular voltage and you should check each colour or better all of them.
You will need to google the voltages or I can do it for you if you prefer.

Well having a green light is good. That means you are getting some power there. You might try reseating the power cable from the power supply to the motherboard. I was having trouble with my computer a few weeks ago with the video dropping out etc and discovered that the cable ffrom the power supply to the motherboard was loose. No idea how it happened but it gradually got worse until I fixed it. I was about to swap power supplies when I found it like that. In fact it may be a good idea to check all connections in there while you have the case open. Memory sticks, cables etc.

My advice is to get a running start and pop the clutch..jumper cables are too large to fit in the case without shorting to ground.

Seriously tho... I have had this problem as well.. if you use a copmter alot AND leave it on constantly it can have this problem. My suggestion is to unplug the power supply. and reseat all the cables and ram..corrosion for lack of better term gets on the contacts and makes a coating that slows current.

DO NOT and trust me on this..try to press the "LIVE" power cables from the PS to the mother board.. Some mother board stand offs are directly under those connectors and others are not. The ones that do not can let the MB flex under the pressure of reconnecting those tight cables and possible short to the case. If that happens you can kiss your MB and maybe other parts good by not to mention toast yer fingers in the right circumstances.

Check out the table for voltages on the atx 24 pin connector.
You need to unplug the cables from the motherboard and switch the psu on by connecting one of the wires to ground (forget which one but it should tell you in the wiki page)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

Must take wife to work now and then fix someone elses pc :) Will check back later.

As Zaphod said, need details of your PSU Make and Wattage.

If youre going to put a graphic card like that in, youre going to need an electric fire of a PSU.

I use a 650W to power a 4870.

(Presume you did put the power leads in the back of your graphic card - will probably require two connectors)

WAHOO!!!

reading Comprhension For the WIN!!!!

The man has NOT repeat NOT put the new parts in yet.....

I would recommend purchasing a new PSU that is compatible with your current hardware. You could also check the fuse on the PSU. Some PSU's have a fuse and some a circuit breaker. Check and make sure you didn't blow a fuse or trip the breaker first.

Check the switch on the back of the PS to make sure it isn't set to 115 VAC instead of the 220 that you need.

hehe most of the time it's something really simple.. guess you've checked and double checked all the connections?

maybe all trhe dust setled and ya shorted oput had a cpu and a power unit not working ..fisrt unplug yar powersupply and check yar feed as ya had a green light power is going 2 the board still vacuum all connections and so...i had a layer off dust on my old card shorted the cpu some how..mb was fine though

could be burned through..

lol @ jumpstart

----

constructive: as others have mentioned re-seat your ram, cards and cables.. if that doesn't help try a new PSU.

power.sup.cord.in.gif

ontopic, so you didn't change anything yet and it was working before you went offshore ?? Strange :scratch2:

if the cooler fan of the suply is working
check for a red light on your mother board

perhaps something has been unclipped when you were away

added some screens

EEEEKK!!!!

Please tell me you dont use your system like that just sitting on a floor

Ill assume it was in that case next to it...

If unplugging all the cables to take it out did not help. reseat the processor ram and vid card.

Oh.. more info.. does your cpu fan spin when you apply power since you said there is a light on the MB?

If that is the case... for giggles and hahas. Change the bios battery. I had a back up battery go bad once and that did the same thing.

added some screens

lol.. you're not going to have much luck without a video card.. and without the front panel hooked up your going to need to short the two power switch pins. - ; )

Back