New Crafted Item: Paper

radioastro

Young
Society
MoonLight Shadow
Solaris Radio Astro
I have read through several threads that request magazine/book/newspaper capabilities. This is my stab at a system to bring the necessary materials to Calypso.

Level I BP, Materials Engineer (Texture Engineering is probably a good fit for skill, or manufacture mechanical equipment). Available via Technician.

Materials: 1 Animal Hide, 1 Melchi Water.
Success produces 3 sheets of paper. (More is fine for the "lucky" hits)
Residues would be oil residue and energy residue.

Paper Sheet (PC): Stackable item with a TT value of 0.01. (3 pec in, 3 pec out from materials). Weight is 0.001 Players can customize these items. Images and Text only.

TT Item: Omegaton A-01 Printer. 50 PED - Decay 1 PEC.
Item will fill a single page of paper with HTML formatted text 80 visible characters width, 50 lines of text length. Headline sizes take 5 lines for <H1>, down to 1 line for <H5>. Offer only basic <B>, <I>, <U>, <OL>, <UL>, <LI> HTML commands. Take a Title for the page printed as input.

Result from the printer is "printed page - <Title>" with a TT value of 0.01 (Decay from the Printer is expended as Ink/toner drawn on the page). Storage of the text is paid for from the decay.

TT Item: Omegaton A-02 Color Printer. 50 PED - Decay 1 PEC.

Item will take a single image upload and a sheet of paper. (upload fees apply exactly as they do for PC screens.) Take as input a title. Output will be a printed page with image. A unique identifier is attached to the image so that more copies can be created later.

Result from the printer is "Printed page - <Title>"

Each of the A-XX items above can create multiple copies, in a stack, of a single page, simply create X copies by feeding X pages into the machine.

TT Item: Omegaton B-1 Binder. 50 PED - Decay 1 PEC.
Item will take several pages of printed page, and bind them into a basic magazine. Place sheets in order specified by user, and bind into a magazine.

Result will be "Magazine - Title" with TT Value equal to the number of pages bound together. Decay is not added from the binder into the TT value.

TT Item: Omegaton B-2 Binder. 100 PED - Decay 5 PEC. Item takes a generic leather (Would be AWESOME if it would take other refined leathers as well) and several pages of paper, in user defined order and bind them into a basic book. Result will be "Book - Title" with a TT Value equal to the number of pages bound together, and the cover material. Decay is not added from the binder into the TT value.

Each of the above Binders can create multiple bound items at once, simply by feeding X copies of each of the pages into the binders.

Results: Players have a cheap, quick, portable method for creating content. A simple flyer, with a picture or Text, a magazine, or a book, for electronic delivery to other players.

The individual items are cheap enough to create that a "Free Flyer" type of press can exist, and more advanced publications can be created and sold/given away/traded.

MA can realize an income from the creation of news/information as decay is included in the printing and binding. Images and finalized HTML pages should be re-used and have a unique identifying code that allows more to be created quickly and efficiently by the players.

Litter is not a serious issue, because the sheets have a small TT value, and as such, if someone leaves a bunch lying around, someone else can simply TT the items (throw them in the recycle bin!) and be paid for their efforts of keeping Calypso Clean immediately!

The high benefit of easily tradeable PC will far outweigh the low cost of delivery, and an in game press can be realized fully! Please share your feedback with me, thanks for reading.

Personally, this is something I have been wanting in EU from the beginning. I like the idea, and hope to see something like it someday.

ace , well thought out..
it could add several new jobs to EU that could benefit a number of skilled and unskilled players.

you could even add a post box to apartment too allow for personal delivery of adverts or notes that you may need to leave for certain players.

Very well thought out post!

I briefly touched on the possibility of crafting somehting like this in JD's thread regarding New oxford classes and having the ability to create literature to hand out for teaching purposes..... saying that your all right... there are mush wider applications that could benefit from this.

If MA or FP want to stick with a futuristic theme then maybe hand held ebooks could be made :p ppl often say there's not much in terms of a flow of evolution in pe and this is another example.. we can create video ads and stream content..... but we can't write on paper or distribute material? :p

+rep

Rip

I like this idea

be the first to publish your own novel in entropia :)

+rep for a well thought out post and something that Entropia definitely could use!!! :)

Great idea, great post. And very well put. This sure is something that sounds realistic. I would suggest anyone that like the idea to copy the post and send in a suggestions supportcase to MA :)

Oh, and +rep

Very nice.....I like the idea and can already see many uses for it.

one of the best ideas in a while :) good job and really nice written. +rep

paper would such a great addition, i have enthused about it before and written support cases. it would open up so many oppurtunities for media related professions. flyers, newsletters, adverts, directories, guides, sellers, media barons. marvellous. must be cheap though, the value being in the content.

Big +rep! I've wanted something like this before, just that on PDA-like devices, but yours is a more practical and well thought-out approach. :D

The individual items are cheap enough to create that a "Free Flyer" type of press can exist, and more advanced publications can be created and sold/given away/traded.

yeah :D this would be a great way for amatures to publish books (and maybe become famous?) :D

email marco about it ;)

Great idea :wtg:
+ rep :)

S V :cool:

personally i cant imagine that.
U really would like to ehm read traditional papers/mags in VR????
so : purpose??
also:
-how about lag?
-would make advertising too cheap (destroying current ad system, and maybe to misusing by IRL companies)
I also believe it coudn't be possible to make it that cheap(new profession, skills, new tools...)

Thanks for all the Feedback and +Reps and EFD :yay:

I created a support ticket linking to this thread. I like the suggestion to email Marco. I will look for his email, and send him a copy as well.

Back