New Decoy System

Quickening

Prowler
Society
Freelancer
Amberle Quickening Netherwraith
A recent thread about booby traps and the like got me thinking about decoys. It's been around 4 years since I last used one and I'm sure a lot of people probably have not used it even once in their EU career.

I guess we could chalk it up to a number of reasons:
(L) armor and (L) guns allow people to hunt certain mobs above their level.
The slow run speed pretty much makes decoys obsolete, the distance you make on the mob is negligible.
The trend of having more and more high regen mobs means more time spent not shooting the mob means more PED lost.
A lot of mid-level hunters nowadays can take on a large percentage of mobs present in the game.

It's really a pity that MA have not done anything about the decoy system. I remember having quite a few fun hunts on big spiders and the like back in the day. I've heard my fair share of good ideas to revamp the system and this particular one seems to be the most interesting:

Make the decoys destructible items with an HP bar. Better decoys have better HP (obviously).
Allow the player to use a decoy-tagger (gun or built into the dispenser etc) that selects the mob the decoy will attract (have a limited range of 60-70 maybe, better models have superior range).
Allow the player to drop a select amount of decoys (this could also be dispenser based) within a certain range of each other.

A typical scenario will be as follows:

Player tags a mob. This should not aggro it.
Player places allowed amount of decoys within the allocated range.
Player attacks mob.
The mob will then proceed to attack the decoys in the order they were placed, moving onto the next as soon as it is destroyed.

Things to think about:
Certain uber mobs should ideally have built-in AI that allows it to avoid low-level decoys.
Multiple players tagging a mob would be an issue.
Decoys disappear if not attacked within a given time (5mins?) so as not to cause terrain clutter.
What effect does the decoy skill have?

Why use them?:

Ideally they should be priced so that they would be equally viable as using a good set of (L) armor to just tank the mob. Also would mean less or no FAP use required (some will see this as a disadvantage).
It would also allow for some interesting strategic hunting depending on terrain and decoy placement.
Hopefully another potential crafting medium?

This is a very much a skeletal design but do you think it would be a worthwhile modification?

or is it better to just remove decoys from the game altogether? :dunno:

How about a ME used COPY of YOU...

Place a "Holographic img of yourself close to the mob, that does
AGGRO it ALOT.

Then you could either SHOOT at it or RUN AWAY...

We would have to tackle the lack of mob AI first.

For those who don't get what i mean - mobs running different directions when tagged...

How about a ME used COPY of YOU...

Place a "Holographic img of yourself close to the mob, that does
AGGRO it ALOT.

:lolup:

I like that :)

Love decoys.. funny to run rings on spiders lost in a trance :D

D

Used the decoys quite a bit in 2003/4, don't know exactly when the system got useless. But since MA didn't do anything on improving it, it seems the old system wasn't profitable to them. Probably the use of 1 decoy and some decay on the decoy deploying device weren't high enough to compensate for the less armor an fap decay.

The decoys probably will never be removed from the system since that would mean that also the skill(s) involved should go. That wouln't be fair to the people having those skills.
But I don't expect an update on this issue in the near future. It's just an old feature of the game which is still there, but pretty useless. MA/FPC have way more important things to attend I think...

A bit of a shame though. Had quite some nice hunts with decoys and still remember the first Atrox Dominant that 2 soc mates and I killed with the help of quite some decays. Good thing the Trox was going for the sheep sound of the decoy instead of chewing on us :D

Im still hoping for the day when some mob can only be hunted by using decoys.I think the higher your skills are the longer the decoy should last maybe 3 or 4k in decoy skills the mob just stands there while you shoot it because its locked in a trance ;)

A bit of a shame though. Had quite some nice hunts with decoys and still remember the first Atrox Dominant that 2 soc mates and I killed with the help of quite some decays. Good thing the Trox was going for the sheep sound of the decoy instead of chewing on us :D

Yeah, its nostalgia for me too :D I guess I'm just trying to cling to a part of Entropia that died 5 years ago?

Naithen makes a good point, if MA release uber mobs with ridiculous damage (1k+?) but reasonable health (1-3k?) decoys would make sense. Although as mentioned above the mob AI would have to change, although I do think MA will look to change this sometime in the future.

Didnot tested it, but from what i remember its somehow still working... Or not ?

Back