PE ASS. We need official word now.

thoreau

Elite
Hiro Protagonist
With the recent events around the entire wormhole issue everyone that is playing PE and using PE ASS is at risk for a ban.

I know that many have submitted support cases with no or vague replies.

I think it is time for every user of PE ASS to send a support case asking for an official reply.

We don't want to be next to be affected by the whims of MA.

right on

yeah i stray away from it myself just becasuse of the implications, just get a spare PC! :wise: + rep

I agree

although its technically not allowed, PE Ass. Makes my life worlds easier. If I must stop using it, then I must, but I'm behind that 100%.

P.S. What is this wormhole issue you speak of?

yeah

whats with the wormholes?

I was recently told that Noggin was banned (not sure if it was temporary or permanent) for wormholing people to space. Apparently, this was a glitch that MA CLEARLY DID NOT STATE and they should have given him an ultimatum other than a ban. Whatever though. *Sigh* Noggin, man, if you read this, I'm so sorry :\

Agreed

but still shouldnt be temping newbs into stuff like that

MA can not ban or lock for using PE ASS , because it does NOT interact with PE.
its not a clicker or something that alow you to cheat.
it only alow you to see on your screen something more than PE.
its same with someone who got a dual screen , and use 1 for play PE and other to look forum.

if PE ASS start to interact with PE ( clicking , mouving avatar ....) then you will get lock or ban.

Etopia said:
its not a clicker or something that alow you to cheat.
it only alow you to see on your screen something more than PE.
its same with someone who got a dual screen , and use 1 for play PE and other to look forum.

if PE ASS start to interact with PE ( clicking , mouving avatar ....) then you will get lock or ban.

I agree totally Etopia, but what confuses me is that MA dont seem to give a proper answer to their support cases. Why cant they just give a pure 'yes' or 'no' in their support cases answers :confused:
I think they just cant decide on allowing it or not, and I also dont know why MA havent released a program like this or something similar intergrated into PE. From what I have read this peass program looks like it could help a great deal in PE.

Last edited:
Eula

Dont they say something about 3rd party apps in the agreement?

wenna306 said:
I agree totally Etopia, but what confuses me is that MA dont seem to give a proper answer to their support cases. Why cant they just give a pure 'yes' or 'no' in their support cases answers :confused:
I think they just cant decide on allowing it or not, and I also dont know why MA havent released a program like this or something similar intergrated into PE. From what I have read this peass program looks like it could help a great deal in PE.

MA is total unabel to make something as complex as a simple internet browser , even with pre-made fonction integrated in windows.
they are not even abel to create a button that take screen shot , and its allready done in the 3D engine , just need to enable it and create a button ... probably 2 hour hard job because you have to read documentation ....

point is : MA can not say its forbiden , since they dont have any right on what you do with you computeur as long as you dont "fubar" their softweare (PE).
for exemple , they can not say you dont have right to use winamp , and i am sure , there "directX" interface for win amp.

but , they dont whant to alow it in case people will use it or similar stuff to do more things ... like stat on PE , or cliking , interacting ...

so , since MA was not abel to do the basic things for video game nowaday :
- browse forum
- note word in notepad crap
- make screen shoot
- micro player for music
to mutch people use a program to do so , and they can not ban 3000 player because they make screenshot ...

MA create them self their problem because they dont give the basic stuff to the player.

My take on PEAss is that it is ok as it does not interact with PE. If it is wrong then so to is the other programs running such as Windows, the drivers running my graphics card, my antivirus etc etc

Would be good to get an official word on it though...

Yes it does state that, but as it doesnt give an unfair advantage (as the 'undiscussed' auto clickers do) I think it should be allowed. Being mainly a miner, it would be great to have an in game calculator when selling my resources (no fumbling around for one when my son decides to take it for a walk :mad: )

Good Take Changed my Mind

Etopia said:
MA is total unabel to make something as complex as a simple internet browser , even with pre-made fonction integrated in windows.
they are not even abel to create a button that take screen shot , and its allready done in the 3D engine , just need to enable it and create a button ... probably 2 hour hard job because you have to read documentation ....

point is : MA can not say its forbiden , since they dont have any right on what you do with you computeur as long as you dont "fubar" their softweare (PE).
for exemple , they can not say you dont have right to use winamp , and i am sure , there "directX" interface for win amp.

but , they dont whant to alow it in case people will use it or similar stuff to do more things ... like stat on PE , or cliking , interacting ...

so , since MA was not abel to do the basic things for video game nowaday :
- browse forum
- note word in notepad crap
- make screen shoot
- micro player for music
to mutch people use a program to do so , and they can not ban 3000 player because they make screenshot ...

MA create them self their problem because they dont give the basic stuff to the player.

Never thought of it like that :eek:

Etopia said:
they are not even abel to create a button that take screen shot...
Please Etopia... :rolleyes:

wenna306 said:

I think as Etopia suggests, its gonna be more than a simple yes or no answer. (though technically, the answer is already stated in the EULA)

PEass in itself is not bad (since it doesnt interact or manipulate PE), else they would of already said so (in my opinion). It is what you use PEass for that is bad or not.

Contrary to someones opinion here, all 3rd party software is not prohibited in PE. 3rd party software that interact or otherwise manipulate PE is prohibited.

Etopia said:

PE is designed to run in full screen mode. We know this because there is no option for windowed mode.

PE ASS is visible while playing PE. So, there must be some interaction or you would not see the PE ASS toolbar.

PE ASS
prevent PE from responding to the mouse/keyboard input you make while using the PEAss windows

from here

thoreau said:
PE is designed to run in full screen mode. We know this because there is no option for windowed mode.

PE ASS is visible while playing PE. So, there must be some interaction or you would not see the PE ASS toolbar.

PE ASS

from here
Also a good point, thats why ive shyed away from it, its so if y :smoke:

We already have offical word on PEAss from MA: "we cannot comment on this". What more do you want?

Can you not read between the lines with this? MA cant go say, yeah thats ok as they open the floodgates to other utilities. At the same time they wont say its not permitted as a) they cant stop its use and b) it does not actually interfere with the game world (unlike an autolicker that clicks into the game environment).

"we cannot comment" is the best you're going to get.

Since MA have been asked and they say "We cannot comment" thats not a no. If your banned for Eula Violation due to using it you can fight it because you have made resonable effort to find out.

If MA dont give a yes or no, surely you cant be banned since you have asked the question?

thoreau said:

your screen does not owned by MA , PE is displayed on it , but you can display what ever you whant.

thoreau said:
prevent PE from responding to the mouse/keyboard input you make while using the PEAss windows

yes , that mean while you use PE ASS , the mouse and keybord comand are not send to PE .
its called take the focus.
its exactly same when you got your brother open and you write word on notepad , only 1 program get the "stroke" not both ...

there there no interaction betwen PEASS and PE.
no click , no order , no comand ......
and most of PEASS feature should be buil in PE...

using the builtin screen shoot system of the 3D motor , or using the one of direct x , or even usinf the copybord of windows , and put that in a shit BMP file in a directory in PE ... its the 000000001 basis of programation...
make this possible with all the test should be done in som hour maximum.... and it will take our , if the programer need to read the doc of that basic builtin function ...

pacmagic said:
Since MA have been asked and they say "We cannot comment" thats not a no. If your banned for Eula Violation due to using it you can fight it because you have made resonable effort to find out.

If MA dont give a yes or no, surely you cant be banned since you have asked the question?
Naah... Not so.
MA may close/ban your account w/o reason or explanation. Read the EULA.

Ofc you could take them to court, to test if the EULA holds up. I doubt that it would, but according to it, you have no rights. Period.

Vedder said:
Naah... Not so.
MA may close/ban your account w/o reason or explanation. Read the EULA.

Ofc you could take them to court, to test if the EULA holds up. I doubt that it would, but according to it, you have no rights. Period.

Agreed they can ban you I guess its their game they can do what they like.

However when it comes to the money aspect I doubt it would hold up in court due to those "reasonable efforts"

This is the sort of thing where better communication would help. MA know a number of their customers want an answer to this. All they have to do is to get Marco to say either:

(i) Yes, you can use PEAss its fine.
(ii) No, you can't use PEAss, sorry.

Either would be perfectly fine with me. What I don't like is the fact they won't commit themselves to saying one way or the other.

Jimmy B said:
This is the sort of thing where better communication would help. MA know a number of their customers want an answer to this. All they have to do is to get Marco to say either:

(i) Yes, you can use PEAss its fine.
(ii) No, you can't use PEAss, sorry.

Either would be perfectly fine with me. What I don't like is the fact they won't commit themselves to saying one way or the other.

*puts on conspiricy hat*

Is it because they want to be able to stop someone from withdrawing a large sum of money - "oh you have peAss oh well your banned and no money for u"

*puts hat back in cupboard*

As I understand it, PE ASS interacts with DirextX, not PE.. It displays itself in the same full screen window as PE but is running seperately from the PE Client and does not interact with any of the PE configuration files (hense the reason you can not type in the chat channels when PE Ass is in the foreground, you have to click back into the chat window to bring it back to the foreground). I personnaly have been running it for several months while logging all network transactions with my firewall and have seen nothing melicious. And let's face it, it makes the PE Experience much more enjoyable.

I also think that MA has a policy not to endorse any third-party products. It wouldn't be a good business standard to do that unless there was some money to be made. The best we are going to get is the two statements we already have received..

From Sarah 'Zap' Charlton on page four of " PE Assistant" thread..
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8360&page=4&pp=10&highlight=PE+ASS

Case *case number removed* History

2005-09-01 *my irl name removed*:
Is it allowed to use third party programs such as GrabClipSave, Fraps and ANY OTHER programs taking screenshots/record videos for documentation/artistic/statistic use?

2005-09-02 MindArk Support:
As I said before, third party programs that do not effect or modify Project Entropia is allowed to use yes.
/REgards

and "We cannot comment on that" in this thread.

Well if peAss does not directly interact/communicate with PE then it should be allowed. If it is communicating with Windows & DirectX to "Stay on Top" even though PE is in Full Screen Mode then it should be ok.

MA should clearly state whether or not it is acceptable before they have another Noggin issue.

They might be working on their own lil addition to PE that mimics peAss. The other issue that could happen is that is they find peAss acceptable, there could be other apps that do the same thing.

I'll have to look into peAss tonight and it is functionality. If it really is what it seems to be and MA found it unacceptable, then it would be like saying that Microsoft Excel would not be acceptable either to run or Internet explorer.

Here we go again

Let me explain this ONE MORE TIME:

PEAss uses only DirectX and standard Windows API functions. It does "manipulate" DirectX so the PEAss windows are show over PE, and mouse and keyboard events don't seep through to PE. PEAss does NOT muck about with PE's files, does NOT muck about with PE internals and does NOT do anything with PE's network traffic. PEAss does NOT allow you to cheat in any way. It only provides information and control over external programs like mp3 programs. The same can be said about dual-monitor and the multimedia keys on your keyboard.

Sure you can raise the 'interacting' issue. But everything on your PC 'interacts' with PE on some level. It is not actually any more or less than such things as FRAPS do.

Now about the Yes or No answer. I have chatted with Marco and I have chatted with support. Indeed, there is no definit Yes or No given. Don't you think that they have not said "NO!" means something? MindArk cannot support any 3rd party software they have no control over - is that so hard to understand? The fact that they haven't said "NO", to me, says it is currently not a problem if you use it. I have offered my cooperation and I do believe that if they wished PEAss to take a hike, they would have told me so. As I have stated before, should they say such a thing, I would immediately stop development and make the download unavailable.

Ofcourse you can be all conspiratory about it and they just allow it so they can say "nope you're not getting any money" when you want to withdraw. I don't believe this though. True, I am not always very positive about MindArk, but I simply don't believe that they would actually do that. This would require screwing over 2000+ players, that is very bad PR.

Everyone writing a support case about it? I think that is the surest way to get PEAss banned. PEAss will become a PITA for MA if we do that, you're only adding reason for them to disallow it.

As for implementing those features themselves - some of them they can, others they can't. They cannot make PE dependent on 3rd party stuff like PEWiki, PEAuction, WinAmp/Foobar, etc, don't you think?

Yeah nicely explained Chainfire :)

I think MA's response is sensible, seeing as they are neither encouraging, nor discouraging use of it. I'm sure at the slightest sniff of something "untoward" with it, they'll make a statement.

The best thing we can do for MA, ourselves, and our friend Chainfire is NOT to make a big issue out of it. Also, I wouldn't shout too much about your use of it either, just be glad it's there, and support the developer!

I think that in this case the benefit outweighs the risk, and PEAss is now MUCH more widely used than Wormholes will ever be in PE, or most other "exploits", so if you don't wanna use it because you fear the integrity of your account, please don't... there are alternatives explained in this thread.

I'm going to choose to use it, and risk the quite honestly minimal consequences :)

Chainfire said:
As for implementing those features themselves - some of them they can, others they can't. They cannot make PE dependent on 3rd party stuff like PEWiki, PEAuction, WinAmp/Foobar, etc, don't you think?

PE auction , should not exist like M2P , because the info about auction should be avaible in auction to all player , with historic and graphic , like in EVE.

about win amp , they can make a directory where you put music file they can play in the game....

about the screen shoot well ... you know its diretx feature...
what left ...;
not mutch

Back