pe-wiki DEAD? O_o

Hardicus said:
I've done the same thing and no luck either on XP. I've edited the hosts file before so it's not anything new to me, just doesn't work.

Well that is strange because it works fine for me and others as noted in the thread.

Weirdness.

I think it'd be wise for someone to re-create pe-wiki.
It wouldnt take a huge amount of time to re-write the system in another language - preferably something like PHP because there's just so many php devs out there that can help or take over.

Why rewrite it when it doesnt need rewriting? Well the domain has expired, which has left a lot of people without their bible. What happens when the hosting expires? Then we're truely fucked.

At least someone get a full backup of the data on there on a regular basis...

TSCRYPTO said:
Well that is strange because it works fine for me and others as noted in the thread.

Weirdness.

You need to restart all instances of IE/firefox before changes take effect.

mrproper said:
AGAIN, stop proposing hosting solutions, it is not an issue of hosting the site.

You cannot copy pe-wiki, it consists of a SOAP sub-system, a database, files, and scripts. You need an exact server able to host that and alll the components. You can't get the database and scripts from pe-wiki.

I have all this. (I was codeveloper of the site). I also have a working version of the site running on a private server. But the version i have is 6 months old :(. When I manage to contacted Minder, I can give info on the future of Wiki. I spoke to him aboout 2 months ago, and he said he didnt mind to keep hosting the site. He also agreed to give me access to the DB and ftp of the site to continue development. But there were some security issues, as he also uses the account for other sites. I got abit busy with other things back then, and didnt have time to look into it.

As soon as I know more i will post it here.

TSCRYPTO said:
OK -

1. Go to your C:/ drive.
2. Go to Windows folder.
3. Go to System32 folder in Windows folder.
4. Go the the Drivers folder in the System32 Folder
5. Go to etc folder in Drivers folder.
6. Right click on the file called Hosts and open with Notepad.
7. Cut and paste the Wiki details (as noted above) underneath the line that says 127.0.0.1 localhost
8. Save the changes and close the Hosts file
9. Go to wiki charts as per normal.
10. :)
Don't forget the point 8.5 Close all your browser and launch then again ;)

_cupcake_ said:
You need to restart all instances of IE/firefox before changes take effect.

cacail said:
Don't forget the point 8.5 Close all your browser and launch then again ;)

Yep. I didnt have the browser open in the first place when I made my changes.

It's not easy doing support before one has had a coffee in the morning :D

EDIT: Point 8.5 has been added to original post :)

Last edited:
TSCRYPTO said:
Yep. I didnt have the browser open in the first place when I made my changes.

It's not easy doing support before one has had a coffee in the morning :D

EDIT: Point 8.5 has been added to original post :)

Fantastic! Thanks mate! BIG +rep!

First time It didn't work but that's because I put "#" infront of It, like so:

#195.26.11.113 www.pe-wiki.info

So It was the same as the other stuff In there. But It was apprently not needed :)

Good luck all!

Also, don't forget to put the "www." in front of "pe-wiki.info". The latter is not necessarily the same URL and will not work with the described method.

A simplified HOWTO:

1- Make sure you are logged in as a user with administrator privileges
2- Click on the "Run..." option in the Start menu
3- Paste this into the little box that appears:
Code:
notepad C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
4- Click "Ok" or press <Enter>
5- Paste this at the end of the file that opens:
Code:
195.26.11.113	www.pe-wiki.info
6- Press <CTRL>-S or open the file menu and save the file
7- Close and restart your browser (actually i didn't have to do this)
8- Type www.pe-wiki.info into the browser URL line et voila

Doer said:
7- Close and restart your browser (actually i didn't have to do this)

Me neither.

TSCRYPTO said:
OK -

1. Go to your C:/ drive.
2. Go to Windows folder.
3. Go to System32 folder in Windows folder.
4. Go the the Drivers folder in the System32 Folder
5. Go to etc folder in Drivers folder.
6. Right click on the file called Hosts and open with Notepad.
7. Cut and paste the Wiki details (as noted above) underneath the line that says 127.0.0.1 localhost
8. Save the changes and close the Hosts file
8.5 Close and restart your web browser if it is already open.
9. Go to wiki charts as per normal.
10. :)

Ok, here it goes:

Too bad this guy:
Registrant:
A Hall
(cut)
Peterborough, CAMBS PE68NZ
United Kingdom

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: EU-WIKI.INFO
Created on: 13-Apr-06
Expires on: 13-Apr-07
Last Updated on: 13-Apr-06

Administrative Contact:
Hall, A
(cut)
Peterborough, CAMBS PE68NZ
United Kingdom

won't point the URL to the right place...

Last edited:
Darkscorp said:
same here..:(

Did you follow the simple instructions yet?

Talked to Minder today, he said there has been some kind of fuzz with the.. ehm.. don't know if this is the right word, someone will have to correct me but yeah, there has been some fuzz with the webhotel and his email has not been working so he hasn't been informed about the domain expiring.

He said that he is going to call the "webhotel" tomorrow and fix things so the wiki will probably be up and going soon again :)

MarlaSinger said:
Talked to Minder today, he said there has been some kind of fuzz with the.. ehm.. don't know if this is the right word, someone will have to correct me but yeah, there has been some fuzz with the webhotel and his email has not been working so he hasn't been informed about the domain expiring.

He said that he is going to call the "webhotel" tomorrow and fix things so the wiki will probably be up and going soon again :)

Good news indeed - thanx for the update.

:)

MarlaSinger said:

Thats good news. Can you PM his working email plz? I have been trying to contact him without succes.

Mapping the DNS locally is not working for me either. Wierd.

If all else fails, and you have updated the hosts files, and restarted all your browsers, try:

Start -> Run -> cmd <enter/return>

In the box type:

ipconfig /flushdns <enter/return>
exit <enter/return>

Restart your browsers again. And if that still doesn't work, reboot. And if THAT doesn't work, I'm afraid you did something wrong somewhere :)

Chainfire said:
If all else fails, and you have updated the hosts files, and restarted all your browsers, try:

Start -> Run -> cmd <enter/return>

In the box type:

ipconfig /flushdns <enter/return>
exit <enter/return>

Restart your browsers again. And if that still doesn't work, reboot. And if THAT doesn't work, I'm afraid you did something wrong somewhere :)
Even rebooted the server :) If I try and access it from there using lynx I get some weird message about the Location URL not being absolute and it then redirects to a 400 Bad Request.

Edit: Hmm maybe it has been fixed. I removed the entry from etc/hosts and it works now.

Last edited:
I just spoke to minder, and if all goes correct, a new domain will be online tomorrow. Because the game is no loger called PE we chose to use a new domain: www.wikitropia.info. When the domain is active, I will make a new topic on this forum about it.

I flushed my DNS and it still didn't work. Re-booted and flushed DNS again and it still doesn't work. I have checked to make sure i haven't got the line commented out by mistake. Could my ISP's cache have anything to do with this?

Hope this new version comes together soon as now I have suddenly realised how much I use that site to help me play the game.

soundboy

Double check your c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file and make sure that the bottom of it looks something like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost
195.26.11.113 www.pe-wiki.info

Also make sure that you didn't accidentally remove any of the # from the first position on any of the lines above these in the file. Open the file again in Notepad and do a "Save As" and make sure that the encoding says ANSI. Don't use Word or anything like that to edit the HOSTS file. Double check that the IP and URL are listed exactly as shown. The IP and URL can be separated by a space but a Tab is more common.

HTH,
NFG

Linux Procedure?

Does anyone know the procedure to accomplish this redirection scheme on a linux box? I run a seperate computer and monitor running Ubuntu Dapper Drake when I play EU. When I start Firefox on the Ubuntu box, 4 tabs open as my reference. EF, pe-wiki, PEAuction, and our society's forum page (Phoenix Omegas!). These are always right at my fingertips. The loss of the wiki database has hamstrung me to the point that I have difficulty playing EU comfortably. Although I have a basic understanding of Linux (specifically Ubuntu), I am not a linux geek by any stretch of the imagination. On a scale of 1-10, I would put my linux apptitude at about a 2. :rolleyes:

Jinime said:
Does anyone know the procedure to accomplish this redirection scheme on a linux box? I run a seperate computer and monitor running Ubuntu Dapper Drake when I play EU. When I start Firefox on the Ubuntu box, 4 tabs open as my reference. EF, pe-wiki, PEAuction, and our society's forum page (Phoenix Omegas!). These are always right at my fingertips. The loss of the wiki database has hamstrung me to the point that I have difficulty playing EU comfortably. Although I have a basic understanding of Linux (specifically Ubuntu), I am not a linux geek by any stretch of the imagination. On a scale of 1-10, I would put my linux apptitude at about a 2. :rolleyes:

It is basically the same as described for windows. The hosts file can be found under /etc/hosts (at least on my system). Just add the following line there:
Code:
195.26.11.113 www.pe-wiki.info

You will probably need root privileges to modify this file!

Jinime said:

Edit your /etc/hosts file, and add the same line described in previous posts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file

/jdegre.

Witte said:
I just spoke to minder, and if all goes correct, a new domain will be online tomorrow. Because the game is no loger called PE we chose to use a new domain: www.wikitropia.info. When the domain is active, I will make a new topic on this forum about it.
:clap: Wee!

Now, can we talk about making a redundant server or whatever so this won't happen again?

Back