Please stop the negativity.

pfesler

Old Alpha
I posted this in another thread, but I thought it relevant in general. I would very much appreciate a little less whining and a little more enjoyment and appreciation of a great game/activity.

Anyone can win Merry Mayhem. Anyone can succeed in this game. YOU are the only variable factor.

I'm not an uber.
Grimyth is not an uber.
Blast is not an uber.
Freyr is...almost an uber.

We dropped around 70k ped by scraping together everything we had to make a play for MM top 3.
We organized and implemented a smart team strategy.
We worked our asses off for MORE than 30 hours, easily.
We scouted and reviewed spawn areas intelligently, eventually locating one that worked. One that is NOT PvP.
We utilized friends some of us have spent YEARS developing in this game to help us out, either with gear or time.
All of these friends VOLUNTEERED their time or gear, again because of the trust and respect of longtime friendship.

In other words...

We made smart choices, worked hard, and invested wisely. THAT is how you get Top 3. THAT is how you work towards profit. Not everything is MA's fault. Yes...loot sucked. Yes...sometimes spawn placement is not ideal. Yes...sometimes the game can be slanted toward higher level players.

A. Loot is supposed to suck during MM. They are running a business, not a charity.
B. Spawn placement is fine, if you do some research.
C. Higher level players have EARNED what they get. Have you put in the same time, money, and dedication?

Invest the capital, make good business decisions, and stop blaming "the system" for everything. Anyone can win MM in their category with the right motivation, friends, and spirit.

IMO loot was good for MM this year, my soc's team made thier play by setting up a normal hunting team with loot rule dmg stack share. So all shooters got a fair share and the main player did not invest 20k+ like Kimmi, if his score is correct and we had hunted for the full 30h and not 15h 51 min we would have beaten his total & the way loot was panning out for out team would have lost about 4k-5k ped total split with all team members and not just the main man.

Look at it this way you lose 70k ped hunting and paying for your whole team then you place 1st the prize is yours OR you agree at start that your selling whatever the prize is and all team members take thier loss and hope the "TEAM" wins so you can have your losses covered IMO 50k each Rex DNA and 7-10k for MM part thats 110k ped minus your 70k "TEAM" investment leaving about 40k for profit also split with team!

Or make the same "TEAM" rule and the winner or a trusted team member has a LA and you get your weekly or monthly dividend base on LA return.

Everyone knows loot is based on "YOUR" investment so if your giving peds away to team members then the system does not see this and give you a 20k or a 70k just cause thats your payout. You might only have spent 5k ped "YOURSELF".

Won't happen... for various reasons

At least in my case, if i see something wrong, I'd say so! you may or may not call it negativity.
The only way to stop me saying a wrong thing as wrong would be by proving that I was wrong (an example) or by banning me from this forum!

Having said that I agree with the rest of your post...........100%

Last edited:
Second that!

Sorry, but I don´t think they lost 70k PED, they got loot in return, or have been all killed mob no looters ?????

Again ppl fail to see my point, i was not pointing out losses but how the teams can play next year to reduce losses.

To my defending of thread starter... Who gives a shit if your not uber, you didn't win, didn't get shit, too many no looters, not enough ped etc, its not are fault for trolls to feed on this, you tookpart, thats your own fault...

A. Loot is supposed to suck during MM. They are running a business, not a charity.
C. Higher level players have EARNED what they get. Have you put in the same time, money, and dedication?

A. YES! When I go to Montana's Steak House for "All you can eat Ribs" special I expect it to taste like shit cuz they're a business and if they're offering a deal it should screw you SOMEHOW! (By the way... my MM loot was exceptional but your statement is completely ridiculous!)
B. Not always. Mixed spawns... PVP spawns.... this is supposed to be a "grind to win" event not a "May the avatar with the best PK backup win" event!
C. True... too bad that after all this time and money invested there are still some who are too chicken shit to compete in their own division so they have to chip out to compete!

I agree that there is often too much whining.... but... there's real money involved... Ever sit around chatting with a group of people who play the stock market? Pffttt.... EU's whining is NOTHING.

The only thing you said that I DO agree with is... "Anyone can win" and I will +REP you for that because in the case of MM you're right!

Menace

MM tip #339
The Buffalo states HATERS WELCOME~

Grimyth Salty

Hey,

ALL YES, Everything beautifully nice but.../

MindArk can't give something for free. All awards are intended for the winners must be sponsored by participants. It's logical that in such a short time only sensible exit to raise money for rewards - drastic reduction loots/returns. Just a shame that it affects all players - involved in MM and those who are doing something completely different. Unfortunately prizes are not "cheap". The same MA shows that the system has the ability to control - where necessary, can reduce loots/return or increase - I would go further and say that they are able to manipulate any player of separate. being careful to the dynamism of the system :) understood in this way - today, you lose less; tomorrow more :yay: We can only "rejoice". One thing is certain - game is getting from one day to day more expensive.

/...but after all we play further and more intensive.

Regards,
XII

Last edited:
This MM loot was the best in ages.. If you check other threads you will see the same responses. People are responding more positive than last year.

In principle I agree with your post. But there's a difference between pointless whining and constructive criticism aimed at making next year's tournament even better.

I was giving it a light-hearted go this year, partly to play the 25th place lottery, partly to get a feel for what sort of setup I'd need to challenge for the top 10 next year and what sort of return I can expect. I enjoyed it, but I nevertheless think it can be improved, to the benefit of both MA and the participants.

(i) I really think there should be a timer. It can't possibly be hard to implement. Someone who spends 30hrs 20 sec online during the tournament is probably not going to take part next year once they get disqualified. They might even quit the game in a huff. And yes, it was their own fault, but the lack of a timer and the degree of the penalty is just needlessly asking for negativity.
(ii) I'd personally like to see it split into team and solo events. I think there's a lot of solo players who don't take part because they don't have the time nor energy to organise a big team approach, know they can't win without that approach, and so choose not to take part at all.
(iii) I'd also like to see it run over a slightly longer timeframe. It's Christmas, which is a time for family get togethers in much of the world. It's also a holiday spell when people are resting after a potentially long year of hard work. 6 hours a day is quite a lot to ask given that, and if you're taking it seriously it'll take up a lot more than 6 hours a day. An extra day or two would make a lot of sense imo.

(a) Loot should be the same as usual, if not better, imo. The big teams going for the win will still spend a lot of PED. But for participation to be maintained year-on-year the solo players joining in the fun for a low place or the 25th place lottery need to see a sensible return rate. The extra activity should be what makes MA money, not worse returns. I'm not seeing much whining about loot during Mayhem tbh, so looks like MA got it right.

(b) Spawn placement was poor imo. Yes, if you were playing for the top prizes on the high maturity mobs there were viable spawns. But the more mobs that get shot the better for the tournament. On Neconu, I could have cycled about 30% more PED if there'd been a viable mid-maturity spawn, Guard-Alpha type maturity. Two of the MA spawns were completely unhuntable. The one I chose was still far from perfect, with a load of other mobs mixed in. Competition for mobs was too intense, teams could pretty much wipe out the spawn in a matter of minutes.

The only other option for me was Tetania's, which was OK but a bit too low maturity, and anyway, as someone aiming for 25th I'm not spending 30hrs of taxes on a markupless mob.

So next year I think there should be more spawns, better spawns, and more varied maturities of spawns. I see that as being positive not negative. I want MM to be bigger and better next year.

Completely agree with Jimmy B.

I also think the reckless actions of the higher point earners and their support teams needs to be 'dealt with.'

I don't know a single solo hunter where I was that wasn't affected by these actions.

(ii) I'd personally like to see it split into team and solo events. I think there's a lot of solo players who don't take part because they don't have the time nor energy to organise a big team approach, know they can't win without that approach, and so choose not to take part at all.

That won´t work Jimmy, we had solo event rules in former MM events and what happened? The teams hired predamagers, not teamed up with them, but the same effect. If I pay people to predamage the mobs I am going to kill is the same effect then teaming up, and doing most DMG to get the kill.
Imho, this years rule was good, as you could team up with your mates and DMG stack share is fair lootdistribution even to the helpers.

Only solution would be giving out parts of KP based on DMG done on the mobs, but this would lead to highest DPS weapon wins, what definately would kill the spirit of the event and demotivate a lot people even trying it.

(b) Spawn placement was poor imo. Yes, if you were playing for the top prizes on the high maturity mobs there were viable spawns. But the more mobs that get shot the better for the tournament. On Neconu, I could have cycled about 30% more PED if there'd been a viable mid-maturity spawn, Guard-Alpha type maturity. Two of the MA spawns were completely unhuntable. The one I chose was still far from perfect, with a load of other mobs mixed in. Competition for mobs was too intense, teams could pretty much wipe out the spawn in a matter of minutes.
agree here, tested the spawn at Chugs and it sucked big time, to much mixed with other mobs.
Good spawn for Neconu was at Tetianas and only good low spawn was at Club Meat (both are playerowned LAs) the spawns placed by MA, well not huntable for the competition.
Don´t know about the high maturity as those are not my level therefor didn´t check that spawns.
Beside that MA didn´t even bother to add additional low maturity spawns for Cat3 and Cat4, why ????

Concerning the rules for the event, I think this years rule setup was perfect.

Well I for one like to decide for myself if I want to express negativity about things or not. Don't need anyone telling me what to do. Especially not people I'm not too familiar with.

This years mayhem I planned not to take part. Reason was I hate time limitations for my on-line time and I had only like 2K ped available.

Surprisingly enough at 27th in the evening I decided "what the hell, let's try it anyways and see where it ends". Trying to go for the naming a pistol price, but also expecting to get one, which seems to not be the case.

Loot was sometimes decent, sometimes not but in the end I managed to keep going on with the small amount of ped I had. That was pretty unexpected so it became interesting and fun a bit. Some BL1000(L)'s and oils made up for bad runs. Nothing negative there.

The spawns I saw ppl complain about, but on the island SW of Memorial I had no lack of mobs... they spawned very near after every kill until some ppl decided to harvest every single mob with the mobtrains. That was a very negative experience when ppl asked to leave "their" mobs alone that were on _my_ radar not too long ago...

There were also more teams with mobtrainers of a higher class that did not complain when I shot along. After all plenty of those mobs were originally my targets and they seemed to realize that. In that case I dont care too much as you can have the same ease as they do with that.

I'm glad people complain when they're entitled to. If they wouldn't then...

Just too much negativity sucks. Also post the happy things to keep the balance. There is also ppl that do nothing but tell one side of the story ;p

That won´t work Jimmy, we had solo event rules in former MM events and what happened? The teams hired predamagers, not teamed up with them, but the same effect. If I pay people to predamage the mobs I am going to kill is the same effect then teaming up, and doing most DMG to get the kill.
Imho, this years rule was good, as you could team up with your mates and DMG stack share is fair lootdistribution even to the helpers.

Only solution would be giving out parts of KP based on DMG done on the mobs, but this would lead to highest DPS weapon wins, what definately would kill the spirit of the event and demotivate a lot people even trying it.

There would have to be some significant changes in order to split it into team and solo competitions, yes, and the prizes for the solo competition would have to be smaller. I agree it's a tricky one (unlike the timer, better spawns, longer time period which are all improvements that would take very little development time).

One option would be instances, which in the solo competition only allowed one person in. It would make it largely dependent on the dps of your gun though yes, although you'd still have to choose the right maturity, the right armour and fap, and have the right tagging approach. Maybe there's some other changes MA could make to add more of a skill factor over the dps factor.

The highest dps guns still have a huge advantage in the competition as it stands. Yes they have to be fit into a well-organised team too, but given two very well organised teams, the ones with the highest dps guns will win.

One option would be instances, which in the solo competition only allowed one person in. It would make it largely dependent on the dps of your gun though yes, although you'd still have to choose the right maturity, the right armour and fap, and have the right tagging approach.

Maybe it would have been nice to have an option of mob also.

In my case; with the armor I had I could have say 10 on me, no problem (with the armor I have they do say 1-10 dmg/hit), while more than 3 neconu young=critted & revival (ghost+2600). (Neconu stalker & prowler for me=forget it.)

(I wouldn't be able to grind efficiently though; I can't afford hunting with the guns at my professional level [LR66, HL15], or there are too few in auction [sulfury sword, electro attack chip IX]. I usually use silly weapons when I hunt by myself like plasma rifle and determination sword but they aren't any great options in a DPS contest.)

Personally I think MA struck the right balance (except highest-maturity-only Rex in lootable PVP).

Last yr I did solo with the help of a fapper. I did that mostly for my mission. It was OK... nothing special.
This year, being part of a team, I've enjoyed it immensely... It was a blast. I dont' think one can get so much fun by doing solo hunting. It's not only a function of players level and gears... but also of tactics and coordination.
Pure solo hunting competions (individual instances) will ruin the fun.

For those who are looking for pure solo... MA gave them a chance too... the odd 25th position... that was very nice.
I think it'd be nicer if MA add 2 more like 25th 26th and 27th.

Over all, I think, this yr is the best MM, at least for me..(lol this is actually my 2nd MM participation)

This would definitely be the the factor needed to make solo kills distinct from team kills. Agree about dmg/sec war, but when all your old mates don't log any more... you can't rustle up a team of people to support.

This is why, as Jimmy B already stated, there should be a solo set of categories and a team set of categories. This would give most types of participant a good chance in that event.

But I think the main thing is that if a support team basically pisses everyone else off with their tactics, that is by definition in the EULA, ruining those other participants' experience within Entropia Universe, for things like mob training deaths, lag and even stealing all the mobs in an area preventing soloists from being able to kill a good amount of mobs at all. All of which I find quite unacceptable, yet it was rife from what I saw.

Thank you, all. Good points everyone, and I appreciate the well thought out, intelligent responses. As one person said, constructive criticisms are not whining, and I hope Kim or whoever at MA is scanning through here and taking notes.

+REP for everyone.

P.S. I'm glad the loot was good for everyone. lol...the neconu gave our team slightly less than a 50% return on 70k per spent.

There would have to be some significant changes in order to split it into team and solo competitions, yes, and the prizes for the solo competition would have to be smaller. I agree it's a tricky one (unlike the timer, better spawns, longer time period which are all improvements that would take very little development time).

One option would be instances, which in the solo competition only allowed one person in. It would make it largely dependent on the dps of your gun though yes, although you'd still have to choose the right maturity, the right armour and fap, and have the right tagging approach. Maybe there's some other changes MA could make to add more of a skill factor over the dps factor.

The highest dps guns still have a huge advantage in the competition as it stands. Yes they have to be fit into a well-organised team too, but given two very well organised teams, the ones with the highest dps guns will win.

Actually it is quite simple for Mindark to turn this event into an solo event.
Simply move all event mobs to the land areas, this would also generate some tax for those land owners.

1. Anyone not registered as participant will not be able to enter one of those Land areas.
2. After 10 hours hunting the system will check the amount of points gathered.
Don’t have enough points ? Your kicked out of the event.
3. After 20 hours again a point check is done and again those with too low points are kicked out.
4. Anyone caught using teams or support is disqualified.
5. Lock the tax on these LA's so the owners can't abuse the event.

Why the point count ?
To avoid people from using team tactic in the solo event.

Now many state that when it’s an solo hunting event many won’t play.
Wrong, indeed some might not play, but many would, just to see how they would do against others.
I would, even though I know I wouldn’t stand a change winning in cat 4.
It would be fun to see where I end compared against the top players.

But I do understand why Mindark doesn’t do this.
Basically because a few players have given Mindark the middle finger and turned an event,
that was intended to be an solo event, into a team event.

Nice mature and respect less attitude towards Mindark and the large part of this community.

Until Mindark decides this event is for all and changes the rules and put their foot down.
Many, including me, will stay far away from this event.

On topic,
I agree fully with what Luckycharm said. :D

Last edited:
Actually it is quite simple for Mindark to turn this event into an solo event.
Simply move all event mobs to the land areas, this would also generate some tax for those land owners.

1. Anyone not registered as participant will not be able to enter one of those Land areas.
2. After 10 hours hunting the system will check the amount of points gathered.
Don’t have enough points ? Your kicked out of the event.
3. After 20 hours again a point check is done and again those with too low points are kicked out.
4. Anyone caught using teams or support is disqualified.
5. Lock the tax on these LA's so the owners can't abuse the event.

Why the point count ?
To avoid people from using team tactic in the solo event.

Make it all taxed and you lose a load of competitors, I wouldn't have played this year if there were no untaxed spawns.

And it's not that simple. Only point (4) stops teaming, which could be done now anyway. But it's tricky - you could send a friend to fap or damage reduce for a competitor and get them disqualified. The other stuff doesn't work, you'd just have teams split in 3 - the first team supports for 10hrs, the second team plays solo for the first 10hrs and then switches to support when the first team is kicked out, etc.

Instances that only allow one person in are the simplest way to make it solo.

Basically because a few players have given Mindark the middle finger and turned an event,
that was intended to be an solo event, into a team event.

Nice mature and respect less attitude towards Mindark and the large part of this community.

It's a competition. The best strategy is the one that scores the most points within the rules. People using that strategy aren't disrespecting anything.

Would've been nice if one day of the event fell on the weekend for those of us who have to work during the week. ;)

Make it all taxed and you lose a load of competitors, I wouldn't have played this year if there were no untaxed spawns.

And it's not that simple. Only point (4) stops teaming, which could be done now anyway. But it's tricky - you could send a friend to fap or damage reduce for a competitor and get them disqualified. The other stuff doesn't work, you'd just have teams split in 3 - the first team supports for 10hrs, the second team plays solo for the first 10hrs and then switches to support when the first team is kicked out, etc.

Instances that only allow one person in are the simplest way to make it solo.

Agreed tax could drive off a few participants, but Mindark could also create event areas or LA’s to do it tax free.

It's a competition. The best strategy is the one that scores the most points within the rules. People using that strategy aren't disrespecting anything.

It is my understanding that FPC has stated that they prefer this to be an solo event.

Now if someone tells me they prefer their house to be an non smoking house ?
I would respect their wishes and not smoke in thier house.
It would be respect less of me to go sit in the living room and smoke the entire room blue.

And yet here we have some players who didn’t think, “Hmm ok well I go solo then this year ?”
No, even though they have high skills, high dps, good armor and enough peds to go and hunt solo. They lack the balls to compete one on one. Instead they form a team just to make sure that they get the highest count. Because god forbid one lower skilled hunter might get so lucky and land two more points than them.

Agreed maybe not against the rules.
But it is respect less towards the creators of this event, no matter how one tries to defend it.

But it is respect less towards the creators of this event, no matter how one tries to defend it.

I disagree, if the creators of the event want it to be a solo competition they need to make the rules such that it is a solo competition.

Compare it to rules in football. There is the offside rule, which was introduced to stop 'goal poaching' but now results in defences trying to trick opponents into offside positions. That's not disrespecting the game, it's a good strategy that doesn't violate the rules. Now consider a player diving to trick the referee into giving him a foul/penalty. This is disrespecting the game since it is against the rules, but it works because often it is hard for the official to tell whether the player was fouled or dived.

I disagree, if the creators of the event want it to be a solo competition they need to make the rules such that it is a solo competition.

Compare it to rules in football. There is the offside rule, which was introduced to stop 'goal poaching' but now results in defences trying to trick opponents into offside positions. That's not disrespecting the game, it's a good strategy that doesn't violate the rules. Now consider a player diving to trick the referee into giving him a foul/penalty. This is disrespecting the game since it is against the rules, but it works because often it is hard for the official to tell whether the player was fouled or dived.

Nice try, but thank you for proving my point.
It doesn’t have to be in the rules, it’s just a matter of mature and grown up respect !
You know very well that it’s true and others also do.

Apparently we are not so grown up as we proud ourselves to be as community.
“It’s not in the rules so drop dead and puck it, I will win the way I want it !”
Just because it's not in the rules and you can, doesn't mean you have to !

Here is a sample of our so proud and wonderful community…

Real mature and respectful …
But lol, like for many other, for me MM is dead and has been for years.

Nice try, but thank you for proving my point.
It doesn’t have to be in the rules, it’s just a matter of mature and grown up respect !
You know very well that it’s true and others also do.

It's a matter of opinion, so there's no proofs involved. I don't see anything wrong with the vid you posted. Looks like one person is pulling a spawn of mobs to a quiet place for his team to blast through (that's fine - it's the best way to approach the competition) and another person is trying to blow him up (also fine, it's pvp and it is a competition after all).

It's a matter of opinion, so there's no proofs involved. I don't see anything wrong with the vid you posted. Looks like one person is pulling a spawn of mobs to a quiet place for his team to blast through (that's fine - it's the best way to approach the competition) and another person is trying to blow him up (also fine, it's pvp and it is a competition after all).

That is exactly the response I expected.

Congratulations, you just proved my point 100%.

I hope your proud of yourself…

[/QUOTE]

HMMMM ... and you are a mod of this forum.... made me wonder :scratch2:

Now I've a flash back from 2009, when my post were selectively deleted.. .... and finally I was banned!

One of the top 2 reasons I'll keep playing this game is for it's ability to provide an environment for uninhibited expression human traits! That's why i've been always infavor of lootable pvp and piracy! .... and no I'm not saying anything self-contradictory :)

EDIT: btw, my comment regarding the above vid is based on what i see here... I don't know if there were more stories behind that incident.

It's my understanding that during MM a lot of things happens due to misunderstanding and miscommunication.. but also a lot of things happens due to carelessness about ones action... and still a few are deliberate sabotage!

Last edited:
I posted this in another thread, but I thought it relevant in general. I would very much appreciate a little less whining and a little more enjoyment and appreciation of a great game/activity.

Anyone can win Merry Mayhem. Anyone can succeed in this game. YOU are the only variable factor.

I'm not an uber.
Grimyth is not an uber.
Blast is not an uber.
Freyr is...almost an uber.

We dropped around 70k ped by scraping together everything we had to make a play for MM top 3.
We organized and implemented a smart team strategy.
We worked our asses off for MORE than 30 hours, easily.
We scouted and reviewed spawn areas intelligently, eventually locating one that worked. One that is NOT PvP.
We utilized friends some of us have spent YEARS developing in this game to help us out, either with gear or time.
All of these friends VOLUNTEERED their time or gear, again because of the trust and respect of longtime friendship.

In other words...

We made smart choices, worked hard, and invested wisely. THAT is how you get Top 3. THAT is how you work towards profit. Not everything is MA's fault. Yes...loot sucked. Yes...sometimes spawn placement is not ideal. Yes...sometimes the game can be slanted toward higher level players.

Invest the capital, make good business decisions, and stop blaming "the system" for everything. Anyone can win MM in their category with the right motivation, friends, and spirit.

we all know this (atleast the smart people)
but thats not who humans mostly are.
the overall human is stuppid and dumb , bad things are never their fault there is allways someone else to blame for it.
and they allways think they can earn a quick bug.

Back