Preview of VU8.2

sounds cool

"VU 8.2 Preview 17 Mar 2006
Project Entropia VU 8.2 is well on its way so we thought we’d give you a little sneak preview of what to expect.
With VU 8.2 participants will be able to create and display their own Ads in Project Entropia. Ad Terminals and Display Boards will be located in all major cities and outposts on Calypso. Complete with preview screens and a suite of formatting options, the Ad System will allow Calypsian creativity to flow.

An Event System will also be included in VU 8.2 enabling participants to create customizable events all over Calypso. Participants will be able to decide the rules, sell tickets and award prizes for a variety of events.

Keep an eye on this news section for a complete listing for VU 8.2. Coming soon... "

beat me to it! :D sounds Interesting!

Woot! Bring on the events!! :cheer:

:eek: Woooo! Sounds awesome! Finally the artists in PE gets something to do ;)

Nice! It would be cool if we could place ads in/on our own properties as well (like shop windows for example).

Marco|MindArk said:
A small glimpse of VU 8.2 is available in the client news section.

Have we told you lately how much we appreciate your increased presence in the forum? :clap:

Thank you for taking the time to give us some "Marco Moments" that keep us informed. I don't know about anyone else, but it gives a feel of being connected, and has perhaps a byproduct of minimizing speculation about things we truly have no knowledge of, other than our own wandering minds.

Thx Marco for jumping in here with us now and then.
Major hug comin' your way ... :hug:

===================================
EDIT:

Forgot to mention how exciting the new features are. Sounds like some interesting times in store for us for sure. Looking forward to how it's going to complement event planning, as well as the opportunity to utilize the advertising system.

Bring it on ... I think we're all ready for a few changes!! :)

weeee... this rox!!!
the rich get richer and the poor... well we have to deposit more :)

Great News! Marco +rep for the sneak peek... :)

I love the event system, even though I have'nt seen it yet. :D I am currently trying to organize an event to give away some items I have collected and more that were donated by generous people. I hope this new event system will help me organise a good event, and I can really use the help. I had no idea how much work it is... :) Will the event system cost PED to use???

The ad system sounds cool, but one question...

...how much will the advertising cost?

Cheers :beerchug:

Bring it on MA!!!

Finally some new exiting stuff, hope the add's will bring the loot up. I think that would make a lot a players very happy and satisfied with MA if it would. Seeing the Event system pre view picture it will become a curtain succes.

Nice Teaser ;-)

Hmmm I see no Image in the news section.... Not in Mozilla, nor in Explorer?

Can some one pls upload here if they can see it?

Edit: Thanx SOB (+Rep) After I saw it her suddenly it worked again...

let me get this straight, I can buy a billboard and put ANY ad I want on it? hmmmm kygon emails Pepsi to see if they're interested in a deal ;)

Ted said:
Hmmm I see no Image in the news section.... Not in Mozilla, nor in Explorer?

Can some one pls upload here if they can see it?

VU82_Event.jpg

here we go :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ted
ohh I was hoping for loots to be implemented in 8.2...

ohhh well....

:wise: wait and see ....

Etopia , who know jumping on conclusion is never a good things , specially when MA tease you.

Note (as in Expectation Management) - this is the first step of ads in PE, and it contains participant-made ads and MA ads (not Massive's yet, as they come later). In this iteration each hour will consist of 30 min participant ads and 30 min MindArk ads. Each ad will be 30 sec long and is made with a tool resembling Powerpoint sort-off. This means there are 120 slots per hour and you set a budget to your ad and this gives you a probability of display per hour, based on the competition for the slots available.

With the event system, you can rent areas for a duration, apply tickets (those without tickets cannot be in the event area for the duration), and set rules and prizes (including adding items) as they like. The event system is one of the most complex systems to date, and this is also to be considered a first phase introduction, with more layers coming later this year.

kygon said:
I can ... put ANY ad I want on it?

The system is open so in theory yes. However, both the Event and Ad system is heavily monitored in order to battle abuse (I guess back in someones mind it would be ... "cool" to make an ad that defames another avatar, for instance). The Conditions of Use applies to the systems as well.

Use common sense and all will be fine. Don't use it and all will be a world of trouble. ,-)

Marco|MindArk said:
Note (as in Expectation Management) - this is the first step of ads in PE, and it contains participant-made ads and MA ads (not Massive's yet, as they come later). In this iteration each hour will consist of 30 min participant ads and 30 min MindArk ads. Each ad will be 30 sec long and is made with a tool resembling Powerpoint sort-off. This means there are 120 slots per hour and you set a budget to your ad and this gives you a probability of display per hour, based on the competition for the slots available.

With the event system, you can rent areas for a duration, apply tickets (those without tickets cannot be in the event area for the duration), and set rules and prizes (including adding items) as they like. The event system is one of the most complex systems to date, and this is also to be considered a first phase introduction, with more layers coming later this year.

Would be nice if we somehow could upload adds made in Photoshop or other program outside PE, would give us some new interesting "job functions" in PE :)

wow, sounds amazing, I really like the sound of the event system.

The system is open so in theory yes. However, both the Event and Ad system is heavily monitored in order to battle abuse (I guess back in someones mind it would be ... "cool" to make an ad that defames another avatar, for instance). The Conditions of Use applies to the systems as well.

Use common sense and all will be fine. Don't use it and all will be a world of trouble. ,-)

Hmm in order to avoid abuses, will you check and validate every ads made by participants ? Shouldn't be hard for someone with a dynamic IP to create a new avatar and advertise for things that are against EULA.

The ads thing is great for pe....... 2 thumbs up MA

My only fear is the affect it may have in an already laggy atlantis. Surely thats gonna be a target place for advertisers. I also don't know what legal implications will be in place if this feature is available to external sources

Well done with the new ideas though :)

Euroman said:
Would be nice if we somehow could upload adds made in Photoshop or other program outside PE, would give us some new interesting "job functions" in PE :)

Overall - opening up PE to allow for outside additions using a smart easy-to-use tool is a path we want to venture, but not at this point in time.

Marco|MindArk said:
... With the event system, you can rent areas for a duration, apply tickets (those without tickets cannot be in the event area for the duration), and set rules and prizes (including adding items) as they like. The event system is one of the most complex systems to date, and this is also to be considered a first phase introduction, with more layers coming later this year.

Sounds very cool Marco, maybe I should just wait and see how it works, but I am very curious...

What does "areas" mean, specific pre-defined areas or can we decide on the area to use?

I'll understand if you just tell me to wait and see for myself. :D

Cheers :beerchug:

[edit]Oh yah, can you tell us what the ads and event system will cost to use? Please...[/edit]

Last edited:
*drool* marco is the :king:

All in all this sounds cool!!! Love the development in PE more and more. 1 comment though:

Marco, I like this info, but it seems to me that you really need 1 or more assistants when it comes to probably the most important task you have at MA, communicating with the community. It's about time you guys learn how to make improvements in whatever you do (gameplay, lag, communication) last. It always seems to go up and down and up and down. Then one hardly hears a word from you for months, even though the community is dieing for some information. And now you even explain how a new feature in a coming VU will work, even before the VU contentlist.

Don't take it personal, I know you have a heavy workload, but it feels kinda fishy to me that some much info is given upfront when it comes to new developments that will make you guys more turnover (at least; won't mention profit here). While in other occasions when it is very important for the community itself to hear things upfront, it remains silent...

Question, pretty please reply Marco:

Do a participant have to make their own ads? Or is the system made so you can have commercials as a profession?

:girl:

Skam said:
Question, pretty please reply Marco:

Do a participant have to make their own ads? Or is the system made so you can have commercials as a profession?

:girl:

i've asked the same question in PM, among may others. :) have yet to get a reply, maybe he is napping.

I wonder if we could loot some board to allow someone owning an estate to advertise ... Or even better, Advertising on a LA to get some extra cash :p (or shops like stated before) ...

Hmm 30 seconds ... Usually billboard are shared by 2 or 3 advert in RL .. so that would be a 20min to 30 min /H hence 40 to 60 30sec spots.

if a 30 sec spot cost say 1 Ped (am sure it'll never be less than that) then for a normal use it's gonna be 40 to 60 peds / H

so that's 960 to 1440 peds / day

Now who got a business that is generating more than that / day ??

Remember Marco, a company will advertise but will never have a ad budget / day > day profit !!
and yes I could advert only one spot / H ... Man 30 sec /H that's not much.

for an ad to be ok I'd say the very minimum is to have 10mn per hour hence 20 spots/H which at 1 Ped / spot makes it 480 peds / day ...

Maybe the spot will cost less than 1 Ped ... But knowing MA ^^ it might be more :p

Back