Problem with deciding the attachments.

Hartsi

Young
Society
Smart Professionals United
Matti Talkkari Tikkanen
Heya guys!

First of all, gotta ask. Can multiple weapon attachments be used at the same time? (Amp + Scope?) Im at work, so can't test it out yet. :)

If they can, wouldn't the combination increase the economy during the skilling up phase by saving a lot of decay & ammo with less misses?

Im using Opalo atm, gonna switch it to Breer M1a soon. So, it would save me a lot of misses during the hunt. And what I've been checking out, most of the cheapest scopes have exceptional durability, so the decay wouldn't be too high to handle. So, lets say I have BreerM1a, with A102, some cheap scope and laser sight attached to it vs. BreerM1a with bare A102. I know It's hard to calculate without knowing the current skills, but has anyone tried the combination up?

Thanks in advance! :)

The most likely theory is that scopes increase your hit ability by a certain precentage, up to a HA of 10. So when your HA is 10 they wont be of any use anymore. During the SIB they can offer advantage but the decay will probably be too high to justify them on low level weapons. In general they are not realy worth the efford unless you reach level 60 or something, and use them on UL weapons.

First of all, gotta ask. Can multiple weapon attachments be used at the same time? (Amp + Scope?) Im at work, so can't test it out yet. :)
Yes :)

You can attach 1 scope, 2 laser & 1 amp to a gun. (note 1 laser is attached to the scope and then the scope attached to the gun).

As for the effects, well best ask someone else. The scope is handy for obvious reasons :)

The most likely theory is that scopes increase your hit ability by a certain precentage, up to a HA of 10. So when your HA is 10 they wont be of any use anymore. During the SIB they can offer advantage but the decay will probably be too high to justify them on low level weapons. In general they are not realy worth the efford unless you reach level 60 or something, and use them on UL weapons.

Im sure i have heard that the skill mod gained from scopes and sights are counted for after your skills... The conclusion must then be that first your skill and then your skil mods... I think it was in a interview with marco that he said that skill mod should be counted for even if you have 10/10 in stats. But i can remember wrong...

I've use a scope on my rifle simply for the benefit of being able to zoom in to take an easier look at what's on the edge of my radar. I absolutely wouldn't leave home without it now. It's also beneficial in being able to zoom in to guarantee getting your first shot on target.

I bought a cheap laser sight a couple of weeks ago and so far I can see absolutely no benefit in using it whatsoever. It certainly doesn't provide any visual benefit and I've not noticed any obvious increase in % of hits. (Somebody may well correct me here though).

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone for answers! I'll try with the scope, but I'll stay away from the laser sights =)

Many theories have been posted, but IIrC, no-one has managed to come up with any hard evidence to prove any of them.

1. It has been suggested that the "skill mod" of X% meant you use the gun as if you had X% more skill. So if you were level 10, and the skill mod was 10%, you get a result when using the gun as if you were level 11. But I don;t think anyone proved it. This is, I think, the most popular one.

2. It has been suggested that the effect was that you gained X% more skills. I think this one was not popular, and is mostly not held.

It has also been suggested that option 1 is actually a slight disadvantage, as the rate you gain skills falls the more skills you have, so making the system treat you as if you have more skills means you gain skills slower. You get the benefit of shooting as if you had X% more skill than you do, at the cost of gaining skills at a slower rate + decay on the sight.

I don't know what to believe, have no idea which may be true, and find a scope useful simply as it enables me to see a bit further.
It seems universally agreed on that a scope (or laser) at very low TT (IE almost broken) is a major disadvantage. SO if you do get one, keep it as close to 100% TT as you can.

Im sure i have heard that the skill mod gained from scopes and sights are counted for after your skills... The conclusion must then be that first your skill and then your skil mods... I think it was in a interview with marco that he said that skill mod should be counted for even if you have 10/10 in stats. But i can remember wrong...

Marco did indeed say that, I asked the question. He did also say he wasn't too sure about it though.

The effect of scopes and sights is not really fully understood, its very hard to test conclusively. Something like how armor decay works, was (relatively) easy to figure out, as it was simple to measure decay and obtain good data. With sights and scopes, a huge amount of data is required and there's all sorts of other factors that get in the way of that. There's also different theories on exactly what they influence. Its also not trivial to verify the findings after a study has been published (e.g. with armor we can just go out and check we get the decay expected, something comparable for sights & scopes is not so easy).

I use sights and scopes myself, but its mainly out of faith that they do something worthwhile rather than knowledge to that effect. I could well just be throwing away a small amount of decay each hunt ;)

Great answers! Thanks for everyone. :)

Jimmy B, indeed hard to calculate, the good old 10000 shots with the scope vs. 10000 without - test doesn't apply in this case.

As I see this, the only way to test this out: Someone with maxed out hit chance modifying skills/professions (Anyone?) would take the 10000 shot cycle, on the exact maturity of a chosen mob on a guaranteed hit range. Not too familiar with the game mechanics yet, so correct me if Im wrong. :)

Dorsai: "It has also been suggested that option 1 is actually a slight disadvantage, as the rate you gain skills falls the more skills you have, so making the system treat you as if you have more skills means you gain skills slower. You get the benefit of shooting as if you had X% more skill than you do, at the cost of gaining skills at a slower rate + decay on the sight."

Ahh, another flaw in using the scope! :)

As I see this, the only way to test this out: Someone with maxed out hit chance modifying skills/professions (Anyone?) would take the 10000 shot cycle, on the exact maturity of a chosen mob on a guaranteed hit range.

Yeah, it has been tried. If I recall correctly, so far no evidence has been found that attachments do anything at all on a maxed gun. But I don't think its been proven beyond a doubt yet.

Dorsai: "It has also been suggested that option 1 is actually a slight disadvantage, as the rate you gain skills falls the more skills you have, so making the system treat you as if you have more skills means you gain skills slower. You get the benefit of shooting as if you had X% more skill than you do, at the cost of gaining skills at a slower rate + decay on the sight."

Ahh, another flaw in using the scope! :)

As far as I know this is pure speculation.

I think I just read (yesterday or something) about a post where the affect of laser sights, both on low HA weps and up to full HA (10.0 / 10.0) and they actually gave benefits to increased hit rate ;) I'll try to search it up as soon as possible :)

Yes, it's true as someone mentioned.. During an interview with Marco he said that laser was supposed to higher the HA on full HA weps, but he was unsure of how much :) (HA 10.0 / 10.0 meens about 90% hit rate, so there is room for improvements ;) )

I'm using a UL rifle, and I've got sight, scope and amp attached ;) I would never go without amp or scope, but I'll always bring my sight as long as I can :)

It seems universally agreed on that a scope (or laser) at very low TT (IE almost broken) is a major disadvantage. SO if you do get one, keep it as close to 100% TT as you can.
Ive never seen that said before? Only item ive ever seen "universal agreement" on is about keeping armour at full TT.

No matter if its good or bad, my guns got Amps + Laser + Scoop + Laser.

It looks cool and I feel good!
And surely I prefer using maxed weapons, HA 10/10 ;)

No matter if its good or bad, my guns got Amps + Laser + Scoop + Laser.

It looks cool and I feel good!
Exactly! What's more important than that?! :laugh:
In the good old days, the laser actually projected a laserdot on the target... Whatever happened to that... :scratch: :scratch2:

I personally use lasers scopes and amps for the reason that they seem to work...but in all honesty..its hard to really tell...I know when I switch them from gun to gun the gun they were on previously doesn't seem to hit as well....could be just coincidence...

Also maybe its just me but also noticed that how well you can see through the scope seems to degrade as the scope degrades...mine atm is almost broke and seein at a distance is near impossible....or could be the drugs acting up again :smoke:

Ive never seen that said before? Only item ive ever seen "universal agreement" on is about keeping armour at full TT.

No this is actually true. Recoda did a major study on this and shot, god knows how many rounds, to figure it out. He found conclusive evidence that not only wont you recieve the added benifit from scopes and lasers if they arent at full tt, but also the fact that if the attachments are at a low tt they actually make your ability to hit worse than it would be without the attachments on.

Let's put it this way... If MA is still not telling us how the scopes and lasers work after all of these years, then they must be complexly tied to the skill system. If scopes and lasers didn't provide a large benefit then MA would probably give us more information on how they work, just like they have with many other items.

Invest in big scopes and lasers and keep them on your guns at all times. If you can't afford the decay to risk that then you probably shouldn't be depositing. The scopes and lasers are pretty cheap right now, too...

Back