Q&A Answers (May 07)

Why? that was Marco speaking and his visions, it is a completely different team now and Marco is gone... Probably forever

"His visions"? AFAIK Marco was just PR.

Why? that was Marco speaking and his visions, it is a completely different team now and Marco is gone... Probably forever

His visions?! A clear "Yes" to clear questions has nothing to do with "Visions".
MindArk still is MindArk. Marco was their mouth to the community back then, not the man who should program the stuff. If Marco should not have said yes, then MA should not have let him say yes.

So, IT IS ALL ABOUT MINDARK, and has nothing to do with a new team. It simply is MA not living up to the expectations they have created. What's new...

Marco no longer works for MA, and this thread is almost 5 years old. Completely irrelevant.

:locked:

Marco no longer works for MA, and this thread is almost 5 years old. Completely irrelevant.

Nonsense, it was a official MindArk Q&A, not just the phantasy of the community spokesperson.

Here are the Balancing Manager's responses to the Q&A.

hello crew!

Post 45
will there be unlimited (!) melee amps, or improvement of melee generally?
Submitted by alice

yes to both.
[/b]

@ lol that was 5 years before

I've got a great question thought it's a little late - why is there still decay on melee weapons when you miss a mob completely? Seems to me if it's hitting nothing but air there should be no damage to the weapon lol

I've got a great question thought it's a little late - why is there still decay on melee weapons when you miss a mob completely? Seems to me if it's hitting nothing but air there should be no damage to the weapon lol

When I miss a mob shooting my gun I should get the ammo and decay back as well. See how dumb that sounds? :)

The game has upkeep costs i.e. employees, servers etc... it's not completely free to play you know. When it boils down to it, it doesn't matter what the players think. :)

~Danimal

if you swing and dont hit the hit box... there is no decay...that for me is a "miss completely"...

but if you see "miss" then you get decay

When I miss a mob shooting my gun I should get the ammo and decay back as well. See how dumb that sounds? :)

The game has upkeep costs i.e. employees, servers etc... it's not completely free to play you know. When it boils down to it, it doesn't matter what the players think. :)

~Danimal

if you swing and dont hit the hit box... there is no decay...that for me is a "miss completely"...

If you set move to target on it will force you to move within range to the target and you will then not decay unless you hit the target. Although I was once in auction and not a single mob in there using my whip on someone and it decayed it a few peds. Not pvp in there either.:scratch2: I only had a few peds tt on it just so I could use it to whip. It ran out of tt and couldn't be used until repaired.:confused:

I would guess because it's easier to balance the game that way. If melee weapons did not decay on a miss, then they would have to decay more on every hit instead - in order to balance the loot fairly with ranged users.

By all accounts, it appears loot value is based on (perhaps among other things) the amount of damage you deal to a mob. Which is where economy (dmg/pec) comes into play. Melee not decaying on misses would give a huge boost in decay and completely remove the incentive to skill up hit-ability.

(The question of balance "armor decay for melee users VS range" is another matter.)

That was his point I think. Strike at something, miss and it still wears the item down. Doesn't make much sense, other than the logic that MA wants items to break - and what I said above.

Yes, that did sound dumb. Very dumb in fact, I would say. It baffles me that you bothered saying it. :rolleyes:

That was his point I think. Strike at something, miss and it still wears the item down. Doesn't make much sense, other than the logic that MA wants items to break - and what I said above.

It was explained before (i believe it was by Marco, long ago) as the same explanation as missing with a firearm at point blank range: it's not so much that you miss as that you fail to hit in a way that does damage. e.g. you could attack a grizzly bear point blank range with a variety of firearms and blades and fail to do more than annoy it because of its thick hide and fur. Even lesser beasts have hide or fur that could turn a blade or dissipate the kinetic energy of a bullet.

It was explained before (i believe it was by Marco, long ago) as the same explanation as missing with a firearm at point blank range: it's not so much that you miss as that you fail to hit in a way that does damage. e.g. you could attack a grizzly bear point blank range with a variety of firearms and blades and fail to do more than annoy it because of its thick hide and fur. Even lesser beasts have hide or fur that could turn a blade or dissipate the kinetic energy of a bullet.

I suppose this is the most justifiable explanation that I could live with. And I suppose "MISS" is just easier to display and for people to understand that having "You hit the beast but failed to do any significant damage" pop up lol

You win THIS round MA!

I would guess because it's easier to balance the game that way. If melee weapons did not decay on a miss, then they would have to decay more on every hit instead - in order to balance the loot fairly with ranged users.

Practically, you'll get more decay with melee because the mob have a chance to hit you before you can hit back. There are a bunch of mobs that can hit you from a longer range than the typical range of a melee weapon. I recall you had to go fairly close to hit an eomon, for instance. And the obivous after the change; robots (you can't tag (most) robots anymore with a ranged weapon to finish them off with melee ..). (Warrior Elite you can't even hit with a typical LRxx weapon while it hits you).

Another thing is that someone discovered that melee weapons do decay if you aim at a mob beyond its range - so you aim at a valid target but it's still a miss. And a bug where meleeing on a carcass causes decay. I haven't checked these out lately, though.

:offtopic:
:topic:

This thread is NOT about melee changes, but about the Old Q&A posted in the OP. To discuss current melee stuff, please start a new thread and simply quote the relevant Q/A. Thanks.

Back