Question: Skill gain question

Reck

Young
Society
Noob Power Unit
Dereck "Reck" Dryson
Thanks for anyone who might have some advice on this issue.
I'm currently halfway through 17 on Surveying and have seemed to stall out on gaining anymore.

For a finder I'm using an emine EMF which has a recommended level of 9
If I were to get and use a Tik500 which has a recommended level of 17.
Would I see the frequency of my skill gains increase? or are the skill gains independant from the difficulty of the tools?

thanks!

In mining skillgain mostly depends from peds cycled. So changing finders would hardly help, however adding amp would. But you should be careful with amps and only use them in areas that have good average markup resources.

there is still barriers in skill lvls from before skill change

most common are the ones before full K's

eg. 960-1000,1960-2000, etc.

generally you can use even tt finder to gain skill normally

cnd gives a big skill boost combined with a much lower hitrate..

i guess thats half of what you asked ^_°

Thanks for the info :)
"cnd gives a big skill boost combined with a much lower hitrate"
Just out of curiosity, where did this info come from?
me personally, I've experienced a much higher hitrate on CND then on calypso

Thanks for the info :)
"cnd gives a big skill boost combined with a much lower hitrate"
Just out of curiosity, where did this info come from?
me personally, I've experienced a much higher hitrate on CND then on calypso

You drop more bombs per hour=more skill per hour

well thats why most high skilled miners stay there

i think you can mainly drop bombs faster/ closer there

i cant personally confirm it as i basicly never go to cnd

but i think others will confirm it too :p

Thanks for anyone who might have some advice on this issue.
I'm currently halfway through 17 on Surveying and have seemed to stall out on gaining anymore.

For a finder I'm using an emine EMF which has a recommended level of 9
If I were to get and use a Tik500 which has a recommended level of 17.
Would I see the frequency of my skill gains increase? or are the skill gains independant from the difficulty of the tools?

thanks!

Using a bigger finder won´t increase the amount of skillgains, but it will increase the value of skillgains.

It depends on the decay´of the finder + amp.

The higher the decay the bigger the amount of skill you get from a skillgain!

That counts for all proffessions!

Beside that you may use SIB, but you are actually out of SIB range of any finder. Maybe just chip the missing points to your LVL17 and then use next SIB finder to increase skillspeed ;)

that makes sense, ty

I would follow your suggestion on chipping through, but I'm one of those anti chipping fools...prefer to keep myself natural :p lol

there is still barriers in skill lvls from before skill change

most common are the ones before full K's

eg. 960-1000,1960-2000, etc.

generally you can use even tt finder to gain skill normally

cnd gives a big skill boost combined with a much lower hitrate..

i guess thats half of what you asked ^_°

I`m sorry, but this was removed long ago...

..are you sure?

^_°

Using a bigger finder won´t increase the amount of skillgains, but it will increase the value of skillgains.

It depends on the decay´of the finder + amp.

That counts for all proffessions!

Beside that you may use SIB, but you are actually out of SIB range of any finder. Maybe just chip the missing points to your LVL17 and then use next SIB finder to increase skillspeed ;)

NO - this is one of the few things about Mining which has been statistically proven. See my research thread below. The rate of skill gain is about the same for all Finders, irrespective of their decay (once you are above the SIB period). You have to add amps to get skills faster.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/skills/142297-mining-skill-value-gains-finders-amps.html

Uh ? 0_x

Its true im not checking it at all already, but im just used to believe its slowing down before any level, or thousand mark..

i also believe that the slowdown on certain point still is there.

so if you have proof thats it removed other then personal experience do say so

Make sure you are tracking your skill volume and not skill level. Volume (tt value) increase is more or less constant with a given activity, while level increase slows down over time.

Here's a more general discussion of the perceived slowdown in skills. At least part of the reason for the feeling that you aren't skilling as fast is because it takes more skill volume to move the same number of levels just before the thousands and 500s.

This can be seen in the plot of the skill volume to level:
tool-fit.gif

I suggest you use a skill calculator to track your skills between runs, and see if you are actually slowing down in volume gained or whether it's just that slow part of the level increase. AFAIK no one has ever found any effect more than that necessary to explain their experience, but i would be interested to know if you find differently.

You can also use the Progress Calculator (Instructions) to calculate how many of a given skilling run you would have to do to reach a desired level. It calculates based on volume increase.

I think it still works. ^^ Haven't worked on it for a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: il
MA even say that there was slowdown on several times close to a new k
out of my head at least at 2k/7k/10k probally at more times

so doer at that point you are wrong i think

quoting doer's graph:

snapshot1.gif

any more questions rearding that should really be discussed in the thread doer linked..

reck just take it easy

im at similiar lvls in mining as you

at these leves below 3k skills its still easy ..no need to really chip me thinks

i personally use the non-L finders

ill reconsider it when hitting prof lvl 30+

when you are actually able to find something useful

but im just a hobby/random miner

Thanks all for the replies, you answered my question on whether or not there was something besides perserverence to gain skills.

I do have a comment though on what il said "i personally use the non-L finders, ill reconsider it when hitting prof lvl 30+, when you are actually able to find something useful"

You do clarify that you are just a hobby miner, so my comment is full those looking at being more than a hobbiest.
I use L-finders exclusively(non-amp'd), and consider any find that pays for my probes used "something useful".

Playing with L's has kept me running without a depo since 08, Do you see my name flash accross the screen often? nope :) but I bring in enough to keep me mining and to be able to buy a new/better L when my previous one dies.

Doer, next week if I feel inspired I'll start keeping track of skills gained compaired to ped spent(probes dropped) and let you know if I see similar.
Right now, my extra time is spent tracking finds to help make sense out of the chaos :)

The rate of skill gain is about the same for all Finders, irrespective of their decay (once you are above the SIB period). You have to add amps to get skills faster.

This is basic maths, since finder decay is typically less than 2% of total expenditure

I have to dispute that one whoile heartedly

I just went thru a bout with survey at the 975 mark before next highest k and returns were totally shut off. 4 claims in nearly 300 probes.

I chipped to 015 relogged the next day and was back to normal hitrate of 1 every 3 to 4 probes average. I have done this for over two years now and I can say for a fact they screw you as hard as possible that last 25 to 50 points before next highest K

1 to 600 skill gains free fall to you.
600 to 850 they slow down to still acceptable levels
850 to 970ish you notice a massive slow down
950ish to next 1k your ass starts to hurt and your puckering string nearly snaps.

You're pretty much in the same position I am, using EMF finder too and a little more skills.

Using amps you get a lot more skillgains and I rarely mine unamped anymore, I also love bigger claims :laugh:

Don't get crazy with the amps though, pay attention to the MU of amps and the enmatters you find - it's MU you profit with, not TT value.

Back