Skill Scanner

Tyvm, jdegre :)...and Wizz!

Woot 23 unlocks! I wondered how many I had. Should have a new one soon (Mindforce Harmony)

Jay :)

great tool you have here. I have noticed on internet explorer its very buggy, but if you remove the / at the end of the web address it works perfect. For example http://jdegre.net/pe/unlocker.php vs http://jdegre.net/pe/unlocker.php/

when i google it, it brings me to the one with the / on it.

Thanks for a good product.

i believe that the address with the trailing "/" is incorrect, in terms of a well-formed ULR. as far as i know, after ".php" you should only include parameters to the script after the "?" sign, but never an "/".

i don't know why google returns this address :scratch2:

i believe that the address with the trailing "/" is incorrect, in terms of a well-formed ULR. as far as i know, after ".php" you should only include parameters to the script after the "?" sign, but never an "/".

i don't know why google returns this address :scratch2:

This is not incorrect, absolutely possible to have a virtual sub path, look here:

http://php.net/manual/de/reserved.variables.server.php

(Scroll down to 'PATH_INFO')

Just add a 301 Moved Permanently redirect to the wrong path and google should change it when they crawl it next time.

This is not incorrect, absolutely possible to have a virtual sub path, look here:

http://php.net/manual/de/reserved.variables.server.php

(Scroll down to 'PATH_INFO')

Just add a 301 Moved Permanently redirect to the wrong path and google should change it when they crawl it next time.

ok, thanks, nice to know :)

still, I don't understand why an URL with a trailing "/" does not look for a subdirectory, and since there is none called "./unlocker.php/", it should return a 404, imo. maybe it's something configured by my host, at server level :scratch2:

anyway... i think i have fixed it with a mod_rewrite line... fingers crossed hoping not having broken something else :ahh:

ok, thanks, nice to know :)

still, I don't understand why an URL with a trailing "/" does not look for a subdirectory, and since there is none called "./unlocker.php/", it should return a 404, imo. maybe it's something configured by my host, at server level :scratch2:

anyway... i think i have fixed it with a mod_rewrite line... fingers crossed hoping not having broken something else :ahh:

Apache searches down the directory tree step by step, and as soon as it hits unlocker.php it is done and hands the control over to php and ignores the rest of the url.

Or in other words:

The server looks for /pe, finds a directory under that name and proceeds (after reading in the htaccess directives) to the next part of the URL.

Then it looks for /pe/unlocker.php and finds a file with that name and acts as outlined above: Hand over to php and ignore the remainder of the URL.

If there'd be a directory named unlocker.php it would perform its standard task and redirect to /pe/unlocker.php/

Only if the server is unable to locate an object (file or directory) under that name it would return a 404 Not found.

Just enter http://jdegre.net/pe/unlocker.php/foo/bar and it will still find the unlocker file - with one exception:
Your BROWSER will not know that a part of it is virtual and all the relative paths used for i.e. css and javascript includes will be broken

(i.e. ./js/aim.js will become http://jdegre.net/pe/unlocker.php/foo/js/aim.js and the server will mistakenly load the html page again instead of the desired script:

http://jdegre.net/pe/unlocker.php/foo/js/aim.js will end up server sided as http://jdegre.net/pe/unlocker.php with a virtual subpath of /foo/js/aim.js again)

That's why i only use domain absolute paths, i.e. /pe/js/aim.js wherever possible, even if that breaks the possibility to move the entire folder without having to adjusts the paths.

It's up to you to check in the file whether you want virtual subpaths and return a 404 if the URL (without query) doesn't match i.e. __FILE__.

/Edit:

Stupid vBulletin parsed all the (bad) links i used as examples only - should be fixed now, we don't want to give google more bad things to crawl.

/Edit2:

Look here for the apache setting:

AcceptPathInfo Directive

Last edited:
Further info re. my scanner problem.

It looks like it was actually a problem with my graphics accelerator, cos i just got a message to say that it had been re-set because it wasn't responding. And now the Scanner works fine in windowed mode as well as fullscreen. And my EU buttons are aligned properly again.

jay :)

I'm now getting the following error, soon as I load Scanner:

Error: java.net.UnknownHostException: jdegre.net

:scratch2:

jay:)

PS...and now I'm NOT :)

Thanks again for the nice tool jdegre. I have a small defect report: the progress tab doesn't properly reflect changes in Stamina (understandably). I thought for a moment there i had been shortchanged on the longtooth mission reward. :laugh:

Thanks again for the nice tool jdegre. I have a small defect report: the progress tab doesn't properly reflect changes in Stamina (understandably). I thought for a moment there i had been shortchanged on the longtooth mission reward. :laugh:

thx for reporting doer. i have checked the code and i could not find anything on it handling "stamina" differently than any other skill or attribute.

are you fully sure that you had your stamina gain between those 2 scans you compared on the scanner via the progress tab?

in case you want to check the history of any of your skill/attributes, as recorded in the scanner database, you can check it at:

http://jdegre.net/pe/charts/skillhist.php

enter your scanner/optimizer user+pwd, and select stamina, for instance, form the "data to show" drop down list, and hit "go!". there, you can see if they match with what you think they should be.

Hi

Having problems with Skillscanner, have done Java updates but still getting this messages.

Skill Scanner V0.46 (06-Jun-2012)
Checking latest version...
Error: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset

Help needed :)
Rapido

Hi

Having problems with Skillscanner, have done Java updates but still getting this messages.

Error: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset

Help needed :)
Rapido

this seems to be related to some software in your box (antivirus, firewall, ...) not allowing the scanner to connect to the internet. you need to allow it to connect at least to the server "jdegre.net", otherwise it won't work.

Thanks for answer, its not a problem with the router, it works on my GF's computer.
In my comp. I have give permition for file scanner.exe in the firewall, but still problems.

Will keep trying to see way my comp dont run it...

Rapido

Can use skillscanner on GF's comp. untill fixed it :)

Still problems, but new messages....

Error: java.io.IOException: Error writing to server

Rapido

Java(TM) 7 Update 5 (64-bit), kan detta vara problemet?

Last edited:
I'm getting a discrepancy in the predicted Miner profession level in optimzer and the actual miner level ingame.

Here's skill breakdown:

Intelligence 77
Serendipity 6174
Mining 4184
Computer 2886
Engineering 4073
Extraction 3610

Predicted level 33.52. Actual level ingame 33.8910. I suspect that culprit is Metalurgy, i have 922 in skill. Is there any way to test it without actually extracting skill? Cause it is useful in crafting.

Last edited:
I'm getting a discrepancy in the predicted Miner profession level in optimzer and the actual miner level ingame.

Here's skill breakdown:

Intelligence 7
Serendipity 6174
Mining 4184
Computer 2886
Engineering 4073
Extraction 3610

Predicted level 33.52. Actual level ingame 33.8910. I suspect that culprit is Metalurgy, i have 922 in skill. Is there any way to test it without actually extracting skill? Cause it is useful in crafting.

I guess there is a missing digit in Intelligence... should be 70-something, right?

Regarding Metallurgy, the best way would be to check for skill gains while extracting deposits. If it contributes to the profession, you would get at least some skill gains during a long mining run.

I guess there is a missing digit in Intelligence... should be 70-something, right?

Regarding Metallurgy, the best way would be to check for skill gains while extracting deposits. If it contributes to the profession, you would get at least some skill gains during a long mining run.

Yeah, sorry, it's 77, missed a digit while posting here. (Corrected first post)

As for Metallurgy, it is not increased while extracting, only by crafting metal components. However it is under "Mining" category, so probably there is a reason for that. Is there any other precedent for such behaviour, when skill contributing to several professions can only be increased in one of them?

If anyone else with no metalurgy skill could check if their Miner level is predicted correctly, it would be interesting.

Last edited:
Ok, I've been getting exactly the same error regarding the socket time out and I've found the cause and a solution.

Java 7 has a bug in the IPv6 code, if you have IPv6 enabled on your system it causes the problem. You've got two possible ways to fix it, disable it on your network cards or use a .bat file to override the java settings.

Depending on the version of windows x32 or x64 you'll need to change the path slightly but creating a bat file in the same location you place the scanner.exe with this command line

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\java" -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -jar .\scanner.exe

will allow it work.

Java 7 defaults to IPv6 and does not appear to fallback to IPv4 if it fails to connect.

Jdegre, according to posts on http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5195154/setting-runtime-property-in-web-application if you add this line
System.setProperty("java.net.preferIPv4Stack" , "true");
to the code it will fix the issue. How much extra code to add and where it's needed is another matter. I normally write in C# or vb.net and only dabble in javascript.

Last edited:
Ok, I've been getting exactly the same error regarding the socket time out and I've found the cause and a solution.

Java 7 has a bug in the IPv6 code, if you have IPv6 enabled on your system it causes the problem. You've got two possible ways to fix it, disable it on your network cards or use a .bat file to override the java settings.

Depending on the version of windows x32 or x64 you'll need to change the path slightly but creating a bat file in the same location you place the scanner.exe with this command line

will allow it work.

Java 7 defaults to IPv6 and does not appear to fallback to IPv4 if it fails to connect.

Jdegre, according to posts on http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5195154/setting-runtime-property-in-web-application if you add this line to the code it will fix the issue. How much extra code to add and where it's needed is another matter. I normally write in C# or vb.net and only dabble in javascript.

thanks mate for such great info...
i'm still not sure why i don't get this error in my own windows box (win7 64 Ultimate), even with IPv6 and IPv4 both enabled in my network adapter.

but anyway, just to see if this solves some one else's issues, i have put together a new version (v0.47), with the system property set as you have indicated (to always "prefer" IPv4).

you can get it here:

http://jdegre.net/pe/scanner/Scanner47.zip

please, let me know if this solves anything.

If anyone else with no metalurgy skill could check if their Miner level is predicted correctly, it would be interesting.
Any of the mining skills aren't giving metallurgy, so i think it's safe to say that it doesn't affect the professions.
Also, i have only 23 metallurgy, while having 5870 in Mining, and the chipping optimizer is spot on.

As for Metallurgy, it is not increased while extracting, only by crafting metal components. However it is under "Mining" category, so probably there is a reason for that. Is there any other precedent for such behaviour, when skill contributing to several professions can only be increased in one of them?

There's no precedent, and it doesn't contribute. We've been through this many years ago because Dub chipped in loads of metallurgy assuming it must contribute because it is in the Mining category. It doesn't.

I have 174 Metallurgy, but my Miner profession is correctly estimated by the Optimiser as 29.38. Do you have 370 Miner skill that you haven't included?

Last edited:
Hmmm, do you guys know what the problem could be? :)

For me it happens when window with skillpoints isn't "active", and like "shadowed". Just click on it somewhere (it will became "active"), and scan again?

Hi jdegre

Just want to say that my erlier connecting problems with V.46 is solved whit V.47 :yay::yay:

Rapido

Hmmm, do you guys know what the problem could be? :)

It could be the blank screenshot issue with windows 7 when use print screen. I think some have fixed it by going to a basic desktop theme.

It mainly affects nvidia cards as I've never had the issue with my ATI.

v0.48

I have just uploaded a new version of the scanner with a small feature requested by some people.

Until now, the "skill export" to the chipping optimizer DB worked by replacing the old skill set with a complete new set using the currently scanned skills. So, if you were interested in updating only a certain skill category, and checking your progress (say after a big mining run where you are interested only in the progress of your mining skills), you had no other option than scanning the whole ~20 pgs. of skills.

Now, there is a new checkbox close to the "export skills to chipping optimizer" button that, instead of replacing the old data set entirely, it merges the old set with the scanned set, which may be a partial set after scanning 1-2 skill windows, and saves the result, only updating whatever has changed.

Probably not an update for everyone, since it is only useful if you have an account and are interested in keeping track of your skills/professions progress, but well, here it is :p

The old versions (from 0.46 onwards) are still useable, as I usually do when the update is not really bug-related, so no need to upgrade for those not interested in it.

Thanks Jdegre, this will make life easier :)

Amazing tool, just found it today! +rep

But maybe a little stupid question... good program for reading the .CSV file?

Cheers, Foley :king:

Amazing tool, just found it today! +rep

Cheers, Foley :king:

any spreadsheet program. openoffice (free open source) works just fine.

the skill scanner is meant to _generate_ the CSV file, not import it. you can then use this CSV file in the chipping optimizer site, or in other sites like entropedia, etc... if what you want is to load your CSV skill files into the scanner, you cannot do that, by design.

<advertisement mode> :ahh:
the only way to load your skills in the scanner is from the chipping optimizer DB, which requires an account in the site, and it will also show you all "extra" info, such as TT value and net value of your skills, profession levels, progress after every run, history tracking, skill forum sig, etc etc.
</advertisement mode> :silly2:

Back